Jim Buss LIVE interview 710 ESPN at 2.15 PM PST

Re: Jim Buss LIVE interview 710 ESPN at 2.15 PM PST

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:41 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:
"laker fans understand why we're losing, but they beleive this team can turn it around....I get positive feedback...100% positive feedback from fans....not sure what you guys are talking about these caller calling in"

And this is the true crux of what the problem is.

Dude is completely oblivious. I cant tell if it's his arrogance or his ignorance blocking the view, but the guy can't see the truth sitting 5 inches from his face.

maybe he only consider his inner circle of yes man as FANS such as the former bartender turned scout :man10: cause I dont know who the F he's getting these 100% positive feedback, sure hell aint the fans :man10:
Last edited by khmrP on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khmrP

Postby Legendary on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:41 pm

That interview was depressing.

:nono2:
Legendary

Postby revgen on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:42 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:
"laker fans understand why we're losing, but they beleive this team can turn it around....I get positive feedback...100% positive feedback from fans....not sure what you guys are talking about these caller calling in"

And this is the true crux of what the problem is.

Dude is completely oblivious. I cant tell if it's his arrogance or his ignorance blocking the view, but the guy can't see the truth sitting 5 inches from his face.

If we're going to make a trade at the deadline, we can't appear desperate. IMO he's putting on his best poker face.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:43 pm

SSDD
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby KB24 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Janine Garcia wrote:I hate this guy

I agree....what a SOB he is, pays 130 mio. salaries for you to get entertained in the evening...its very obvious his goal is solely to annoy the fans and destroy the franchise.

In the summer everyone was in love with him when he opened up his checkbook...repeatedly...now that the team is playing well below expectations, its all on Jim Buss.

I really sometimes hate to come and read threads on CL. Whether we win or lose, people are either extra cocky and fanboyish or they absolutely despise everyone and everything.

A lot of people here still need to learn to lose with dignity. Its been a fun ride the last 15 years, this was supposed to be the magical culmination of Kobe's career. So far it hasn't panned out but lets suck it up and go down with our heads up...lets lose like a champ, not like a chump.

BTW, if you expected him to say this team sucks and lowers their value in possible nagotiations, I have to disapoint you. No executive is going to say how he really feels.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Uncle Drew on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:45 pm

Wow, what a bunch of BS!
If he is serious about this interview, he is lying himself so much, come on, how can you still make excuses about this team not being complete?
We are so screwed with this guy.
KobeBryant
#vamos #juntos #lakercorazon #vino
Uncle Drew

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:46 pm

Denial, not just a river in Egypt. Did not want to hear the excuse of injuries and the starters not playing enough together, or that IF they gel they will win a bunch or games, or if we get into the playoffs we'll magically go deep, and that's what we got, hope it's just PR or the season is in serious trouble. The team isn't going to flip a switch and gel.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:49 pm

Weezy wrote:Denial, not just a river in Egypt. Did not want to hear the excuse of injuries and the starters not playing enough together, or that IF they gel they will win a bunch or games, or if we get into the playoffs we'll magically go deep, and that's what we got, hope it's just PR or the season is in serious trouble. The team isn't going to flip a switch and gel.

I'm going to sound like a jack***, but if you assumed that the Kobe/Dwight thing was PR, then why wouldn't you assume this is too?

If anything, this screams WAY more of PR than the picture did. This is almost EXACTLY what happened before we made a bunch of major moves...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:49 pm

Just to put this out there, take it as you will...

Jim Buss isn't going out to the world and proclaiming.....

"Pau is gone, we are looking for trades"

"This team sucks and can't compete currently constructed"

"Everything is awful in LakerLand right now, every GM that sees this, we have our pants around our ankles ready to get bent over from this point forward"

I don't really know what some of you expected him to say. He's playing the game that every GM around the league (well the smart ones) play and that is Johnny Tightlips.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:50 pm

KB24 wrote:
Janine Garcia wrote:I hate this guy

I agree....what a SOB he is, pays 130 mio. salaries for you to get entertained in the evening...its very obvious his goal is solely to annoy the fans and destroy the franchise.

In the summer everyone was in love with him when he opened up his checkbook...repeatedly...now that the team is playing well below expectations, its all on Jim Buss.

I really sometimes hate to come and read threads on CL. Whether we win or lose, people are either extra cocky and fanboyish or they absolutely despise everyone and everything.

A lot of people here still need to learn to lose with dignity. Its been a fun ride the last 15 years, this was supposed to be the magical culmination of Kobe's career. So far it hasn't panned out but lets suck it up and go down with our heads up...lets lose like a champ, not like a chump.

Wow, I must have been in the wrong treads. maybe I'll go back and look but I cant remember this happening EVER.

I dont think he's made a good move since he's been PUT in charge. And "opening his checkbook"??? You mean opening daddy's checkbook after Mitch worked EXTREMELY hard in the offseason to bring in (what everyone thought) was the best possible talent? Hardly a brilliant decision.

I feel like I owe the Lakers org a lot for the years of enjoyment I've gotten from being a fan, but I also pay for my tickets, watch the (advertiser paid) games on TV, and buy (way too much) Laker merchandise.

We can lose with dignity, but that shouldn't prevent us from being able to voice our opinions on, what many people perceive as horrible decisions that helped bring us to this point.
Last edited by phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phoenixrisingla

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:50 pm

his 100% behind MDA sound exactly like his 100% behind Brown comments :man6:
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Just to put this out there, take it as you will...

Jim Buss isn't going out to the world and proclaiming.....

"Pau is gone, we are looking for trades"

"This team sucks and can't compete currently constructed"

"Everything is awful in LakerLand right now, every GM that sees this, we have our pants around our ankles ready to get bent over from this point forward"

I don't really know what some of you expected him to say. He's playing the game that every GM around the league (well the smart ones) play and that is Johnny Tightlips.

Exactly. I think a lot of you guys used this as another opportunity to s*** on the guy.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:51 pm

khmrP wrote:his 100% behind MDA sound exactly like his 100% behind Brown comments :man6:

And bynum.

This guy CANT. STOP. EFFING. UP.
phoenixrisingla

Postby Legendary on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:51 pm

I reaaallly hope that WAS his poker face speech....

And if so, I'd rather he not give an interview if he's just going to lie through his teeth about what we are and what we aren't doing to fix this team.
Last edited by Legendary on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legendary

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:52 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:I dont think he's made a good move since he's been here, and "opening his checkbook"??? You mean opening daddy's checkbook after Mitch worked EXTREMELY hard in the offseason to bring in (what everyone thought) was the best possible talent? Hardly a brilliant decision.

IIRC, it was Jimmy that put the Nash plan into effect, while Mitch thought it wasn't even an option.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Uncle Drew on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Just read this:

On Dwight, chances of re-signing

"If we make the playoffs, we're playing well, we'll go deep, & Dwight will stay"

"If we fall apart, hoping we can convince him injuries & not being 100%, and will ask him to give it another shot"

He is acting like he invented hot water.
All i see is a lot of IF THIS IF THAT.
Positive feedback from fans??? What the f is he talking about?
KobeBryant
#vamos #juntos #lakercorazon #vino
Uncle Drew

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
phoenixrisingla wrote:I dont think he's made a good move since he's been here, and "opening his checkbook"??? You mean opening daddy's checkbook after Mitch worked EXTREMELY hard in the offseason to bring in (what everyone thought) was the best possible talent? Hardly a brilliant decision.

IIRC, it was Jimmy that put the Nash plan into effect, while Mitch thought it wasn't even an option.

It's possible, but I never heard that. Have anything to show how it all went down?
Last edited by phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenixrisingla

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:55 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:Denial, not just a river in Egypt. Did not want to hear the excuse of injuries and the starters not playing enough together, or that IF they gel they will win a bunch or games, or if we get into the playoffs we'll magically go deep, and that's what we got, hope it's just PR or the season is in serious trouble. The team isn't going to flip a switch and gel.

I'm going to sound like a jack***, but if you assumed that the Kobe/Dwight thing was PR, then why wouldn't you assume this is too?

If anything, this screams WAY more of PR than the picture did. This is almost EXACTLY what happened before we made a bunch of major moves...

No I know, it's why I'm not really upset, what else is he gonna say really. My post was simply venting, because despite my feelings that the Lakers FO probably knows we're in trouble, I can still see them being in denial in some ways. I believe they actually believe we can go deep in the playoffs if we just get in, despite no real evidence to back that up, and I believe their confidence that Howard will just re-sign for the privilege of playing for their franchise is probably too high.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:56 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

It's possible, but I never heard that. Have anything to show how it all went down?

No free agency signing or trade happens without Kupchak first picking up the phone.

So even with Steve Nash proclaiming publicly he couldn't envision himself joining the Lakers, Kupchak recalled Buss providing a stern reminder.

"Jim Buss kept on saying, 'Mitch, don't forget to call. He's at the top of the list,' " Kupchak said. "I said, 'Jim, I'm not sure if this is even something we can begin to work out.' He said, 'You never know unless you try.' "

So that was that.

Kupchak called Nash's agent, Bill Duffy, and was told Nash actually was open about joining the Lakers, partly for his hope to win an NBA championship and partly because his twin 7-year-old daughters and 20-month-old son are based in nearby Phoenix. Eleven days later, the Lakers formally introduced Nash as their new starting point guard.

Buss' insistence that Kupchak pursue Nash was just a small part of the extraordinary circumstances it took to secure the elite point guard's three-year, $27-million deal. It required luck and smart strategic thinking that many critics, including yours truly, failed to recognize right away. And the Lakers took advantage of it.
Doc Brown

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:57 pm

Some of these responses just leave me shaking my head. Nevertheless, he said nothing that was surprising; we already knew injuries were a big part of the problem. I still think there is going to be changes by the trade deadline. He can't stand pat; if the season is tanking, they will (Lakers) take a chance and try to release some of the deadweight by Feb.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:00 pm

^^ Yeah, you've got to take that interview with a lot of grains of salt. As mentioned, he wasn't going to say "Let's blow up the team," or "Let's fire MDA." And for good reason. It doesn't help anything to do so. If he did I would be very concerned. An owner/co-owner of a team should not appear desperate in public. It's not good business.

We'll see what happens.

One thing I thought was telling though, was he said they weren't going to make a move for a temporary fix, and that they didn't want to jeopardize the future. That to me reaffirms my thoughts that unless there is a home run deal they won't move Pau now, but will wait til the offseason, which I think is the right thing to do. I feel like that part was pretty straight up.
Last edited by Lakerjones on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lakerjones

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:01 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
phoenixrisingla wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

No free agency signing or trade happens without Kupchak first picking up the phone.

So even with Steve Nash proclaiming publicly he couldn't envision himself joining the Lakers, Kupchak recalled Buss providing a stern reminder.

"Jim Buss kept on saying, 'Mitch, don't forget to call. He's at the top of the list,' " Kupchak said. "I said, 'Jim, I'm not sure if this is even something we can begin to work out.' He said, 'You never know unless you try.' "

So that was that.

Kupchak called Nash's agent, Bill Duffy, and was told Nash actually was open about joining the Lakers, partly for his hope to win an NBA championship and partly because his twin 7-year-old daughters and 20-month-old son are based in nearby Phoenix. Eleven days later, the Lakers formally introduced Nash as their new starting point guard.

Buss' insistence that Kupchak pursue Nash was just a small part of the extraordinary circumstances it took to secure the elite point guard's three-year, $27-million deal. It required luck and smart strategic thinking that many critics, including yours truly, failed to recognize right away. And the Lakers took advantage of it.

Touche, mon frere. I stand corrected.

Thanks for digging it up. :bow: :jam2:
phoenixrisingla

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:04 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:Some of these responses just leave me shaking my head. Nevertheless, he said nothing that was surprising; we already knew injuries were a big part of the problem. I still think there is going to be changes by the trade deadline. He can't stand pat; if the season is tanking, they will (Lakers) take a chance and try to release some of the deadweight by Feb.

of course he isn't standing pat...he already wigged out 5 games into the season and got rid of a coach he 'backed 100%'

something's up
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:06 pm

^^ RE: Doc Brown and phoenixrisingLA - I think Jim Buss has done a really good job with Mitch in terms of our personnel. It's only his coaching hires that I can't stand.

I heard an interview with him last year talking about how they had their eye on Jordan Hill for a while and had hopes for him and that was pretty insightful. He was also highly in favor of getting Sessions who I thought could have been a really good player for us if he had stayed. He also resisted trading Bynum until he could actually get Dwight for him. None of this diminishes Mitch's role as GM - he still has to make these deals with his magic wand. But I think he and Mitch have worked together very well in personnel.
Last edited by Lakerjones on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lakerjones

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Lakerjones wrote:^^ Yeah, you've got to take that interview with a lot of grains of salt. As mentioned, he wasn't going to say "Let's blow up the team," or "Let's fire MDA." And for good reason. It doesn't help anything to do so. If he did I would be very concerned. An owner/co-owner of a team should not appear desperate in public. It's not good business.

We'll see what happens.

One thing I thought was telling though, was he said they weren't going to make a move for a temporary fix, and that they didn't want to jeopardize the future. That to me reaffirms my thoughts that unless there is a home run deal they won't move Pau now, but will wait til the offseason, which I think is the right thing to do. I feel like that part was pretty straight up.

Once thing I learned is NBA executives love expiring contracts. With this line of thinking, I believe Pau will be moved in the summer.
dwighthowardsdad

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion