Jim Buss LIVE interview 710 ESPN at 2.15 PM PST

Re: Jim Buss LIVE interview 710 ESPN at 2.15 PM PST

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:58 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:Btw, Jimmy either gets no credit or too much credit. Whether you are a proponent or an opponent...wouldn't most of you agree that Jeanie may have been the better suitor going forward?

I don't have a bad word to say about Jeanie, and she obviously has a great mind for business, but what indication do we have that she has any interest in, or an eye for making key basketball-related decisions?

Say what you will about Jim, but we've actually done quite well in acquiring talent while his role has become more significant in recent years.

This. sorry Vash, but we have no real evidence that Jeanie would have been the better choice. We have no evidence that she had/has what it takes to make those decisions.

Jim has his faults, but with him being a large part of the decision making we've won 2 championships, been to the finals 3 times, and acquired 3 Hall of Famers.

His coaching decisions?... well that might be problematic.

well, at least we know Jeanie would hire the right coach lol
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:02 pm

^^ ba-ZING!!!

:bow: :bow: :bow:
phoenixrisingla

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:04 pm

Damian Necronamous wrote:Everyone criticizing Buss needs to STFU

Not his fault that four HOFers are too retarded to figure out how to play with each other.

100% behind Brown decision, hired as only candidate to interview for job of him going to GSW. 100% behind MDA, hired over phone interview....he deserves to be criticized for these 2 blunders and nevermind the Rudy T disaster
khmrP

Postby abeer3 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:50 pm

therealdeal wrote::man10:

The reason to do an interview now is so that it doesn't look like the Lakers are having a fire sale. It ruins our bargaining position...

"We still think we have a chance once we heal up. We don't think we need to make any moves." from the owner of the Lakers. What does that mean to teams that want Gasol?

"Hm. They're not in a rush to throw him away. We can't low ball them an offer for Gasol."

If Buss had come on and said "We're giving up. We need to make moves NOW!" then everyone in the league knows that they have bargaining position.

C'mon people...

interviews are for fans, not opposing gms, imo. he's trying to keep expectations low in case they can't move pau for a good return and are forced to stick with this roster until the (bitter) end. other gms know and have known that pau's available for well over a year. the lakers overplayed their hand after they got jobbed on the paul deal. i get it to some degree. but i think the poker face is for us, not the folks they're dealing with on the business end. if he came out and said we're looking at some major moves, then nothing happens, the fanbase is irate. well, more irate.
abeer3

Postby JamrockLakaFan on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:02 pm

Ppl need to stop kneejerk reactions, he said what was expected. Jus note last time he spoke on Bynum he got traded, when he spoke on brown he got fired. I see this as him calming the waters and a negotiating ploy to get something done and I expect changes minor or major in the week coming. Why do the interview to say we are gonna fight! - all his interviews seems to come when he knows after he spews bs he has something to back it up
Last edited by JamrockLakaFan on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Welcome to JamRock
Camp Weh Di Thugs Dem Camp at
2 Pound A Weed Inna Van Back :smoker: :smoker: :smoker:

1 Good Thing About Music When It Hits U Feel no Pain
JamrockLakaFan

Postby 432J on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 pm

what an idiot

f*ck you jim buss
432J

Postby Nikez on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:50 pm

I mean to get angry over an interview from the owner is really petty to me. Owners should not let the emotions of fans affect their decision making skills AT ALL. I mean where was all this hating this summer when we put together this monster roster and looked like the best lakers team since 3peat?

Like others have said Jim can't come out with negative or so-so answers about his teams chances and his roster. Jimmy's most deplorable move it appears by lakers fans is the hiring of Dantony. I'm in the camp that still believes we would look considerably better right now had Phil been our man going forward, but we should still not be this bad with Mike. I have seen the effort from our players this year but there is just something off with their rythym, or lack thereof. We need to get smarter as a team and really start sharing the ball, making better decisions, and be able to control the pace for the majority of the game. But most of all DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE like many other fans have said this year our players as individuals are pretty competent but our collective defensive awareness and movement is piss poor. Good defensive teams have players that can work in harmony and keep moving to keep the offense on its heels.

So overall this year besides injuries what I think is our worst disease is that we just cannot seem to play smarter. I think we all have seen the heart and effort alot but its almost always a "too little too late" scenario. We need to consistently start to improve in our collective basketball IQ and our "talent" should be able to put us over the top like it was intended to.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby lotus on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:52 pm

Since jimmy is backing MDA "100%", did he bother to explain why MDA has Brown's coaching staff and not his own?
lotus

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:13 am

As I said in another thread , luck plays a role in success ... we have been one of the luckiest franchises in NBA history and really didn't completely suck as a team for 5-10 years in a row ... like basically every other franchise

Looks like we are finally due for a bad stretch .. you can't put all the blame on our FO ... they got robbed on the CP3 deal , they bounced back with D12 and Nash ... so far it hasn't worked out .. but at least they tried.

The only thing which bothers me a lot is we are still trailing the Loston Celtpricks in numbers of titles ... my only motivation as a Lakers fan is to see us surpass them in this category ...
wcsoldier81

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:46 am

432J wrote:what an idiot

f*ck you jim buss

WHOA WHOA cowboy easy. :man10:
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:57 am

abeer3 wrote:interviews are for fans, not opposing gms, imo. he's trying to keep expectations low in case they can't move pau for a good return and are forced to stick with this roster until the (bitter) end. other gms know and have known that pau's available for well over a year. the lakers overplayed their hand after they got jobbed on the paul deal. i get it to some degree. but i think the poker face is for us, not the folks they're dealing with on the business end. if he came out and said we're looking at some major moves, then nothing happens, the fanbase is irate. well, more irate.

It could be for both, although I think that the fans give him as little credit and as much blame as possible, so speaking out to keep the fans calm is really just a mistake. It's clear that the Lakers play their cards close to their chest, so I don't see why this couldn't be for GMs as well as for the Laker's fans as well.

As for over playing their hand... They didn't over play it. They played it perfectly and then were f***ed over. It'll go down as one of the biggest f*** jobs Stern gave to the league, and to us specifically. That and the new CBA. He came after us with everything he had.

If he comes out and says "we're trying to make major moves" then our bargaining position is lowered. The game changed when we landed Howard and Nash. Gasol's value to the team changed and therefore teams's packages changed. Obviously they dropped a bit, but at the same time his value hasn't plummetted either. We know already that Toronto and Minnesota offered a couple of nice packages. They're not in the same realm as getting Paul, but at least they're not nothing. If he comes out and says "we're trading Gasol now" then 1. it's bad for the team and 2. it's bad for bargaining power. That could be the difference between getting Tyreke Evans and getting Derrick Williams.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:58 pm

As much as I hate Jim Buss' coaching hires, I really think this interview is a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" - and it seems a bit unfair.

You DON'T want him to come out and say, "This team sucks. This coach sucks." That's not appropriate and it isn't going to get you anywhere. It doesn't help you make trades and it doesn't help infuse any stability in the team that you have. That would be bad to do, pure and simple. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would want to have him say that.

Many people are pissed that he did the opposite, but in this case that's basically the only thing that he can do. Accentuate the positive, or at least faith in the positive, defray any possible fingerprinting even if it means telling a lie or two or at least a white lie, and try to paint the best picture possible despite all the injuries and the bad record. He has to sell that, period.

He could avoid the media but that doesn't help either. People want some reassurance, even it it's just hopeful thinking.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:33 pm

People are looking anywhere they can to blame someone, even if it's irrational.

Right now MDA and Jimmy are the easiest targets so they take the blame for everything
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion