Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: contributing (again).

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:58 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:He's hitting 36.4% from deep. His career average is 37% and last season he hit 36.5%

What are you guys missing here? :man10: This is exactly who we thought we'd got. The only problem is that he takes a lot of shots.

But even so last season: 1.5/4.0 from three.
This season: 1.6/4.3 from three.

He's shooting a lot, but that's the offense we have. I'm sorry some of you guys are so disappointed in his shooting... This is EXACTLY what was advertised though. This is why we got him for cheap.

So we shouldn't expect an increase in shooting efficiency from a player who used to play with Iggy , Holiday and Evan Turner and now is playing with Kobe Bryant , D12 and Steve Nash ?

You may miss something here too ...

We're 5 games under .500 so maybe throwing names out there like that isn't a great argument.

Why should I expect a rise in shooting percentage from him when the team as a whole seems to have made each other worse? Why expect more from a young 7-8th man than I'd expect from our "stars"?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:43 pm

If D'Antoni is putting both PG's in the game at the same time cause he doesn't trust Jodie out there, Lakers need to use that disabled player exception money to find a better SG. Seems like lately, Jodie does good in the 1st half but disappears in the 2nd half.
Kobe8Fan

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:39 am

therealdeal wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:He's hitting 36.4% from deep. His career average is 37% and last season he hit 36.5%

What are you guys missing here? :man10: This is exactly who we thought we'd got. The only problem is that he takes a lot of shots.

But even so last season: 1.5/4.0 from three.
This season: 1.6/4.3 from three.

He's shooting a lot, but that's the offense we have. I'm sorry some of you guys are so disappointed in his shooting... This is EXACTLY what was advertised though. This is why we got him for cheap.

So we shouldn't expect an increase in shooting efficiency from a player who used to play with Iggy , Holiday and Evan Turner and now is playing with Kobe Bryant , D12 and Steve Nash ?

You may miss something here too ...

We're 5 games under .500 so maybe throwing names out there like that isn't a great argument.

Why should I expect a rise in shooting percentage from him when the team as a whole seems to have made each other worse? Why expect more from a young 7-8th man than I'd expect from our "stars"?

He has had great looks when on the court with these "names" and just hasn't knocked them down at a sufficient % all season long ....

Remember the 1st half against the Floppers as a prime example ... got 5 or 6 WIDE open threes from D12/Kobe being double teamed .... went 0/5.

Another example is the home game loss to Denver , got three wide open looks late in the game which could have changed the momentum ... result ? O/3

The looks have been here all season long , Meeks just hasn't delivered when needed most of the time
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:17 am

You can throw out games all you want, it really doesn't matter.

The fact is he's hitting threes at almost exactly the same percentage as last season. While we could have asked for more, this is what should have been expected. And if the rest of the team isn't going to elevate their play, how can we as fans expect him to elevate his? That doesn't make sense.

If our team had a winning record and everyone was performing at the level we thought they would at the start of the season and he was shooting that way, that's one thing. But he's doing exactly what's expected of him right now.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:59 pm

I agree real but there are indeed higher expectations than what he did with Philly.

1. He was 24 and in his natural basketball progression. He SHOULD be better every year until he is 28 or 29 unless he suffers injuries.

2. He does have teammates that require more attention regardless of the team's overall health. Not saying they are playing as expected as everyone is below his standard but he does get more open looks than in Philly, there is no question IMO especially since Philly also plays a slower pace than the Lakers did this season.

3. You would also expect Meeks to KNOW what he is asked to do as a Laker with a very well defined role which is ONLY shoot 3s and hustle on defense. He had a full off-season to work just on that and not worry about any other aspect of his game.

So in a way, he is underachieving by what people expected from a starter of a playoff team who is 24 and only getting better (in theory) with experience and having a mentor like Kobe or Nash. On the other hand, a starter at 24 also should get more than the minimum so in a way, he is playing what his salary would suggest he would play so there I see your argument. If he was a deadly shooter or anything, he would have gotten a nicer contract.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:16 pm

I just really don't think it makes sense to expect more from him than what we've seen so far. He's giving us EXACTLY what he advertised. Why are we all surprised/expectant of something else?

Yes, he's 24 and should maybe expand as he ages, but he came here for what, less than 2 million? Maybe if we were talking about a kid with a lot of room to grow, but it was understood basically that he is what he is.

I'm just totally fine with what he's giving us I suppose. I wasn't expecting him to come here and be Kyle Korver or anything like that. And what he gives us is very solid for what we spent/the role he is in.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Shooters will get better looks playing with Kobe , Nash , D12 than with Iggy , Holiday and Turner ...

I'm not sure what it is so complicated to understand ... he got way better looks but can't increase his 3pt FG % ... simple as that

this has nothing to do with our team underperforming/ your argument
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Where did I say I didn't understand that? Where did I say that I don't understand something as easy as personnel?

What's so hard to understand about the guy giving us expected output? If you expected more from him, that's your fault. It's not my fault that you expected an 8th man getting paid 1.5 million to shoot like a 4 or 5 million dollar man.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:44 am

“@forumbluegold: LOL. In the last 4 games Meeks has played 54 minutes. Lakers have a DEff of 78.3 in those minutes.”
Ariza3

Postby charvin on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:48 pm

He definitely needs more than 15 minutes/game. It's been said before, but with an 8-man rotation, you're killing the starters here...
charvin

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:04 pm

i know dantoni is telling him to but i don't like those run up 3s with 18 on the clock
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:11 pm

I liked his defense on JJ at the end of the game. He was giving up a lot of size and a lot of strength and he held his ground.

His shots weren't falling but some of them were just really tapped out.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:47 am

I got a new nickname for him : "The wall builder"
wcsoldier81

Postby Center Court on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:58 am

why is that shooters come here and forget to shoot?
Center Court

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:59 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:I got a new nickname for him : "The wall builder"

him and Metta should be called the Brick Brothers :man1:
khmrP

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Bricking.

Postby easyguy on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:26 am

Meeks only shoot well if everyone else is shooting well and the team is ahead in the game. :man9: :man9: :man9:
easyguy

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:35 am

easyguy wrote:Meeks only shoot well if everyone else is shooting well and the team is ahead in the game. :man9: :man9: :man9:

same thinking here, most of our bench is like that unfortunately :bang:
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:17 am

Said it earlier in the season, the guy can never hit a momentum 3 to save his life.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:35 am

although he has become a brick machine, I have to agree with realdeal assesment in that whatever Meeks has given us is what was/should've been expected. He has never been a CONSISTENTLY good shooter, he is very streaky. That highlight of him hitting 10 or so 3's in Philly was probably followed up by a crappier night a few games later. He was essentially benched towards the end of the season last year and he barely got any PT during the playoffs and if I had to guess it was probably because of his streakyness, he's just a shorter version of Sasha.
Last edited by khmrP on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
khmrP

Postby phoenixrisingla on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:39 am

I think last night was his worst game as a laker.

We definitely expected too much, but he's underperforming even based what he's done in the past.

At one point in the 2nd quarter he miss 3 wide open 3's in the span of like 90 seconds.
phoenixrisingla

Postby 7cody on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:40 pm

I actually agree that Meeks percentage should go up, in theory, playing with Kobe, Nash, and Dwight. The problem is how we're currently playing. We are not using Meeks as a way of punishing the opponent for doubling. We don't play any kind of inside-out game, like we should be.

Basically Meeks stretches the floor and gives good effort defensively. That's pretty much all he does. He's not a deadly shooter, but he's good enough to keep the defense honest. If we used him properly, I think his percentage could increase. We're using him for quick shots, we should be using him for high percentage shots by breaking down the defense and kicking it out, waiting for the double and punishing the defense, etc, but instead it's here shoot it with 20 seconds left. It's ridiculous.

Then again, when you have Metta on the floor, Meeks will never be open. If Kobe gets doubled they will rotate off of Metta before they rotate off Meeks whenever possible. I've seen several situations where Meeks would normally be wide open, but instead it was Metta man rotating over to deny him the ball or at least close him out.

And of course Metta isn't a great shooter either. It's insane that he's an NBA basketball player that doesn't even know how to hold the ball when shooting, don't use your fingertips Ron, it goes in your palm... bleh, now I'm getting off topic
7cody

Postby Shadow on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:44 pm

Anyone remember when Luke Walton was leading the league in 3 point FG percentage.. :man10:
Shadow

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:51 pm

He gets so many wide open shots & just clanks them 1 after another.. I know he's a streaky shooter & we're getting what we paid for, but you can't help but facepalm when he goes on cold streaks. Wish we had a better backup SG to keep those 2 PG lineups off the floor.
lakersin4

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:49 pm

lakersin4 wrote:He gets so many wide open shots & just clanks them 1 after another.. I know he's a streaky shooter & we're getting what we paid for, but you can't help but facepalm when he goes on cold streaks. Wish we had a better backup SG to keep those 2 PG lineups off the floor.

imagine if we had a ray allen type player shooting those shots.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby phoenixrisingla on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:53 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:He gets so many wide open shots & just clanks them 1 after another.. I know he's a streaky shooter & we're getting what we paid for, but you can't help but facepalm when he goes on cold streaks. Wish we had a better backup SG to keep those 2 PG lineups off the floor.

imagine if we had a ray allen type player shooting those shots.

I'm even dreaming of Vlad-Rad at this point.
phoenixrisingla

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion