Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Rotations

Postby JUST-MING on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:04 pm

revgen wrote:We didn't sign Jamison to be a 5th option player.

I don’t know how to qualify a “fifth option”, but if it’s similar to Radmanovic’s role with the Lakers, then I think Jamison can fill it.
JUST-MING

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby Helljumper on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:09 pm

Question: Why did Meeks go from 25 minutes a game and starting 50/66 games during the regular season to only playing 8 minutes a game during the playoffs?
Helljumper

Postby revgen on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:11 pm

therealdeal wrote:Jamison is not a creator he's a shooter and he does a good job of getting himself to spots to be set up.

Shooters don't average 19.5ppg for their career. He's not Steve Kerr.

Jamison uses unconventional herky jerky moves that make it difficult for defenders to guard him. He's a shot creator.

therealdeal wrote:He's not great at setting up others. We still need a player like that. We've all been asking for someone who can create shots for himself, if that's Meeks then that's perfect.

Minutes and opportunities will limited anywhere he goes. Why wouldn't he come here to try to win? The Wizards and Bucks are full of young guards who will get time over him. Here he'd play behind Kobe, but that's a guaranteed period of time because we have no other backup SG. And if he does really well, move Kobe to SF every now and then to get him more time. Again think Shannon Brown. He came here and got an opportunity. If Meeks can do the same then all power to him.

Not saying he'll come here, just that your reasoning doesn't fit.

Crawford will not get time over Meeks. Meeks is a better outside shooter (what Wall needs), and a much better defender. Beal may get time over him, but if Meeks proves himself well in training camp, Beal may lose a spot to him.

Meeks is looking to make a name for himself and he's not interested in being a role player. He wants to be an all-star. Not an overpaid role player ala Shannon Brown or Devin George.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Re: Rotations

Postby revgen on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:12 pm

JUST-MING wrote:
revgen wrote:We didn't sign Jamison to be a 5th option player.

I don’t know how to qualify a “fifth option”, but if it’s similar to Radmanovic’s role with the Lakers, then I think Jamison can fill it.

We didn't sign Jamison to be Radmanovic. Period.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Re: Sixth Man

Postby JUST-MING on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:14 pm

They can use Meeks as Phoenix did with Barbosa; they brought him off the bench for Nash. Barbosa was a “second option” (18+ points) scorer in 2007, and a “third option” (15+ points) scorer in 2008. They’d just need to tighten the rotation to 7 players as Phoenix did. (It’s not as if the Lakers have a bench anyways.)
JUST-MING

Re: Sixth Man

Postby revgen on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:18 pm

JUST-MING wrote:They can use Meeks as Phoenix did with Barbosa; they brought him off the bench for Nash. Barbosa was a “second option” (18+ points) scorer in 2007 and a “third option” (15+ points) in 2008.

I don't see Meeks as that kind of player. He's not Shannon Brown bad when it comes to ballhandling, but I don't want him being the one bringing the ball up the court.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:28 pm

I'm not really sure which dude Nash has the beef with but if its NOT Barbosa, I would try the vet min with him. He's declined ALOT but he is still quick and can still get into the paint any time he wants, he just like to settle now for jump shots.
khmrP

Postby last stand on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Meeks would get so much more money after a year with the lakers
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:42 pm

revgen wrote:

Jamison uses unconventional herky jerky moves that make it difficult for defenders to guard him. He's a shot creator.

I am familiar with Jamison's post game, but I think you're expecting a different Antawn Jamison than we will likely see.

Last season he had only 2 dunk attempts and 224 layup attempts constituting 21.6% of his shot attempts. He shot only 34 hook shots and had only 25 tip shots, of which he shot 55.9% and 40% respectively.

However, he shot 759 jump shots which constitutes 72.7% of his shot attempts. He shot most of his shots from 3 point distance at 267, followed by at the rim at 240. He took more shots from 16 feet and out than he did from 9 feet and in.

He's more than a shooter, but he's most definitely a jump shooter and not necessarily a post player anymore. He was also assisted on 87% of his jump shots. So the shot he took the most was assisted WAY more than it wasn't. He's a scorer, yes, but not a creator for himself in the sense that you are implying.

revgen wrote:Crawford will not get time over Meeks. Meeks is a better outside shooter (what Wall needs), and a much better defender. Beal may get time over him, but if Meeks proves himself well in training camp, Beal may lose a spot to him.

Oh good, he can go to Washington for a chance at beating out a high first round rookie for a spot, or he can come to LA for a chance to beat out Goudelock. C'mon.

revgen wrote:Meeks is looking to make a name for himself and he's not interested in being a role player. He wants to be an all-star. Not an overpaid role player ala Shannon Brown or Devin George.

So does every player in the NBA. Again, Shannon Brown is the PERFECT example for this situation. Shannon is a role player, he wanted to be more and the Lakers gave him that shot. He then went on to be a role player elsewhere. Meeks is not an All-Star. Anyone signing this late in the game is a role player, plain and simple. If he were an All-Star he would have gotten paid like one.

Instead he's discussing taking the minimum. He's not going to get a chance to be an All-Star anywhere. But if he came here, he'd get tons of exposure and consistent minutes. Again, not saying he will but your argument thus far makes no sense rev.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:54 pm

^^^yea, I think if Meeks thinks this highly of himself than he clearly doesn't know his role, I'm pretty sure Sixer fans wont miss him even with his "all-star" mentality.
khmrP

Postby revgen on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:01 pm

therealdeal wrote:
revgen wrote:

I am familiar with Jamison's post game, but I think you're expecting a different Antawn Jamison than we will likely see.

Last season he had only 2 dunk attempts and 224 layup attempts constituting 21.6% of his shot attempts. He shot only 34 hook shots and had only 25 tip shots, of which he shot 55.9% and 40% respectively.

However, he shot 759 jump shots which constitutes 72.7% of his shot attempts. He shot most of his shots from 3 point distance at 267, followed by at the rim at 240. He took more shots from 16 feet and out than he did from 9 feet and in.

He's more than a shooter, but he's most definitely a jump shooter and not necessarily a post player anymore. He was also assisted on 87% of his jump shots. So the shot he took the most was assisted WAY more than it wasn't. He's a scorer, yes, but not a creator for himself in the sense that you are implying.

revgen wrote:Crawford will not get time over Meeks. Meeks is a better outside shooter (what Wall needs), and a much better defender. Beal may get time over him, but if Meeks proves himself well in training camp, Beal may lose a spot to him.

Oh good, he can go to Washington for a chance at beating out a high first round rookie for a spot, or he can come to LA for a chance to beat out Goudelock. C'mon.

revgen wrote:Meeks is looking to make a name for himself and he's not interested in being a role player. He wants to be an all-star. Not an overpaid role player ala Shannon Brown or Devin George.

So does every player in the NBA. Again, Shannon Brown is the PERFECT example for this situation. Shannon is a role player, he wanted to be more and the Lakers gave him that shot. He then went on to be a role player elsewhere. Meeks is not an All-Star. Anyone signing this late in the game is a role player, plain and simple. If he were an All-Star he would have gotten paid like one.

Instead he's discussing taking the minimum. He's not going to get a chance to be an All-Star anywhere. But if he came here, he'd get tons of exposure and consistent minutes. Again, not saying he will but your argument thus far makes no sense rev.

1) Jamison's jumpshooting is more due to Byron Scott than his career taking a decline IMO. He was a more versatile scorer when he played in Washington in the Princeton offense under Eddie Jordan, who coincidentally is back in the NBA as an assistant coach for guess who? I don't expect Jamison to be the exact player he was in Washington, but I expect his game to be more versatile under the Princeton offense that he thrived under in Washington. Byron Scott relies too heavily on a primary guard to create offense. Like he did in NJ with Kidd, and again in NOH with Paul. Not the best situation for Jamison IMO.

2) And playing the same minutes Goudelock played last season? Ooh my my. I'm sure he's pumped and excited.

3) Shannon Brown didn't look like a player who wanted to be an all-star when he came here. He was happy to get out of Charlotte and have a chance to play in LA no matter what role he played. Meeks doesn't strike the same tone. He wants to be what he was in Kentucky. A top tier scorer. And he seems to be determined to find a way to do it in the NBA. Unless Mitch promises him to make him a go-to guy on the perimeter after Kobe retires, I don't see how he'd want to come here.

You're right that he's a role player and should accept it. However that's not how he feels. You and I can't change his mind.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:06 pm

Jodie Meeks Weighing Free Agency Options
By Alex Kennedy
NBA Writer
EmailPrint0 Comments
Every day, Jodie Meeks is asked the same question: “Where are you going to sign?”

For the past month, the 24-year-old has received countless phone calls and text messages from people asking for updates, but that’s to be expected when you’re one of the best free agents remaining on the market. Meeks, an unrestricted free agent, is talking with a number of teams and weighing his options.

“I’ve gotten interest from the Lakers, Bucks and Wizards,” Meeks told HOOPSWORLD. “There are five or six teams, but those three are at the forefront right now because I’ve been talking to them the most. I really like those teams and I like what they bring to the table. I’m looking forward to signing, whenever that may be.”

Meeks has proven that he can start in the NBA, which separates him from many of the remaining free agents. He has started 114 games in his 200-game career, averaging 8.1 points over the last three years. Last year with the Philadelphia 76ers, Meeks started 50 games. While he has shown that he can be a significant contributor in the NBA, he believes his best basketball is still ahead of him.

“I feel like I still have a lot to develop,” Meeks said. “I’m still young, only 24 years old, and I have a lot of things to show in my career. I’m looking forward to, whatever team I go to, showing what I can do and trying to win as much as possible.

Meeks has been training and spending time with his family in his hometown of Atlanta in an effort to keep his mind off of free agency. Rather than worrying about his next contract, he’s working on his game and making sure that he’ll be ready to play at a high level for his new team.

“I’m just trying to find the best fit for myself,” Meeks said. “I just have to be patient. I know that when it comes time to sign, I’ll be ready to help the team that picks me up. I’m staying in shape and keeping myself busy this summer. I’m keeping a winning attitude. I’m very upbeat and positive. I don’t worry about these kinds of things. I’m just letting it play out and I’m looking forward to next season.”

“I’m from Atlanta and I come here every offseason,” Meeks said. “My family is here and I’m down here working out. I’m just working on all aspects of my game. I think you can always improve. There’s never a time when a player can’t get better. I’m working on my lateral quickness and ballhandling, and I’m putting up a lot of shots. I’m just keeping a positive attitude and waiting to see where I end up.”

While Meeks wouldn’t rule out a return to Philadelphia, it seems unlikely since the 76ers didn’t extend a qualifying offer to Meeks prior to the start of free agency and then proceeded to sign shooting guard Nick Young to a one-year deal worth $6 million.

“I loved playing in Philadelphia,” Meeks said. “It was a great city and I was there for two and a half years. I have nothing but great things to say about those guys. They gave me an opportunity to play and I wish them the best of luck.”

Now, Meeks is looking forward to signing his new contract. This was his first time going through the free agency process and while he has had a positive experience, he’s looking forward to focusing on basketball again rather than business.

“Free agency hasn’t been bad,” Meeks said. “I’m just staying patient and positive. I’m just looking forward to seeing what happens. I know I’m going to go to a good situation where I can win as much as possible. That’s the main thing for me, winning.”

“Teams that I’ve been on in the NBA have always made the playoffs, except for my rookie year,” Meeks added. “I was with the Bucks for most of my rookie year and they made the playoffs, but then I went to Philly for end of the season and they didn’t make it. But for the last two years, we made the playoffs. I bring a lot of positive energy on and off the court, and I think that carries over to winning.”

Los Angeles, Milwaukee and Washington seem to be the frontrunners to land his services as of right now. In the coming days, Meeks will weigh his options and then make a decision.

We will see Mr. Meeks if your statements hold true.

You ain't winning in Milwaukee or Washington. You come to the Lakers and we will win some ball games, get to the playoffs and make a run.

If winning is your top priority, you will be a Laker.....
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby gcclaker on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:11 pm

^Money has a way of making people alter mindsets...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Winning mean LA but we'll see.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Interesting. First he makes statements that he wants to be a star scorer like he was in Kentucky. Now he says he wants to win.

So what is it?

I hope that's him talking and not his agent telling him what to say.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:37 pm

I'll be shocked if he doesn't go for the money -- 3 to 5 mill per year somewhere. Sure, one year with Kobe, Nash, Gasol and Drew or Dwight could do him wonders for next year after all the open shots he will get and winning. But how many YOUNG players think that way??

I think we will have to offer him most or all of the min MLE, with him having player options. But I hope I am wrong.

But for a full min MLE, would much rather have Rush, who can play the 2 and 3 (assuming GS doesn't match).
tigerjeterkobe

Re: Jodie Meeks

Postby JUST-MING on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Meeks with the Lakers has an opportunity to be featured as a go to scorer off the bench that the Lakers desperately needed. He’d be given more exposure being featured on national television 29 times which excludes NBA Tv’s “Fan Night” and the playoffs (which are always highly rated games). It’s also of note that many older teams tend to make younger players look much better than they are; take for instance Ramon Sessions last year, some even compared him to Chris Paul, or a “bust” like Jordan Hill.
JUST-MING

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:26 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:I'll be shocked if he doesn't go for the money -- 3 to 5 mill per year somewhere. Sure, one year with Kobe, Nash, Gasol and Drew or Dwight could do him wonders for next year after all the open shots he will get and winning. But how many YOUNG players think that way??

I think we will have to offer him most or all of the min MLE, with him having player options. But I hope I am wrong.

But for a full min MLE, would much rather have Rush, who can play the 2 and 3 (assuming GS doesn't match).

Rush resigned with the warriors because he didn't receive any offers from other teams
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Re: Jodie Meeks

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:27 pm

JUST-MING wrote:Meeks with the Lakers has an opportunity to be featured as a go to scorer off the bench that the Lakers desperately needed. He’d be given more exposure being featured on national television 29 times which excludes NBA Tv’s “Fan Night” and the playoffs (which are always highly rated games). It’s also of note that many older teams tend to make younger players look much better than they are; take for instance Ramon Sessions last year, some even compared him to Chris Paul, or a “bust” like Jordan Hill.

Antawn Jamison is our go to scorer off the bench.
Texas Lakers Fan

Re: Jamison

Postby JUST-MING on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:28 pm

KeepBynum wrote:Antawn Jamison is our go to scorer off the bench.

I’d play him with the starters. They need his floor spacing more than the second unit.
JUST-MING

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:29 pm

JUST-MING wrote:

I’d play him with the starters. They need his floor spacing more than the second unit.

That's not gonna happen. World Peace will be the starting SF.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby JUST-MING on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:32 pm

KeepBynum wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

That's not gonna happen. World Peace will be the starting SF.

Did you even read the post above?

therealdeal wrote:I am familiar with Jamison's post game, but I think you're expecting a different Antawn Jamison than we will likely see.

They should play Antawn Jamison with Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant [and Pau Gasol].
JUST-MING

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:37 pm

Hey now don't misrepresent me :man10:

My point is that he needs to be assisted not that he's a starter. He's our 6th man for sure for our bigs. meeks could be our sixth man of sorts for our guards.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JUST-MING on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:41 pm

therealdeal wrote:My point is that he needs to be assisted not that he's a starter. He's our 6th man for sure for our bigs. meeks could be our sixth man of sorts for our guards.

Who is going to “assist” Jamison off the bench? Bynum doesn’t pass. Goudelock doesn’t pass. Hill doesn’t pass. Blake doesn’t make plays. He’d be much more effective feeding off of Nash and Bryant [and Gasol].
JUST-MING

Postby kenzo on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:45 pm

Every player in the world would be more effective playing with Nash and Pau than without them :man9:
kenzo

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion