Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:48 pm

It seems to me that Meeks is looking for a place where he can have some freedom. Of the teams mentioned, we're the ones who "limit" him the most in terms of his play on the court because we're trying to impliment an offense. He wants to be a scorer and most times, scorers in the NBA need isos.

The other teams may allow for more freedom in the sense that he could deviate from the plan more.

However, the cons to joining those teams: playing time and the ability to win games.

He said he wants to win games, well Milwaukee may be able to sneak into the 7-8 spot in a weaker Eastern Conference, but a contender they are not. Milwaukee may have some room for him at the backup 2 spot, but they've got two guards that need a LOT of playing time in Jennings and Ellis along with PG Beno Udrih. They also drafted Doron Lamb, who was fairly impressive in Summer League action.

As for the Wizards, they also have some depth at the position: They've got John Wall, Shelvin Mack, Bradley Beal (high first round pick), Jordan Crawford, and they also just signed AJ Price. They're full of young guards trying to prove themselves in the NBA. Good luck cracking the rotation.

The Lakers have the most consistent playing time opportunities. They've got the least amount of depth of those teams by far. Kobe is going to need a rest, and we need a guy that can create a little bit off the bench to give our starters a rest. He's a great fit. The only problem is money.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:50 pm

I know it probably won't happen, but we should use the mini MLE on Meeks.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:17 pm

KeepBynum wrote:I know it probably won't happen, but we should use the mini MLE on Meeks.

he's not worth the money, there are still options out there that better than him even for MLE, Barbosa, Delfino, Rudy, just to name a few.
khmrP

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:25 pm

khmrP wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:I know it probably won't happen, but we should use the mini MLE on Meeks.

he's not worth the money, there are still options out there that better than him even for MLE, Barbosa, Delfino, Rudy, just to name a few.

Two of those guys have been signed already.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:28 pm

KeepBynum wrote:
khmrP wrote:

Two of those guys have been signed already.

who signed?

edit: checked nba FA tracker, Rudy has returned to Spain but Barbosa/Defino has not signed yet
khmrP

Postby dj vitus on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:49 pm

khmrP wrote:
Phil XI wrote:Translation: I care more about playing time than being on a winner right now because I need to show my stuff this year and to get paid with that fat MLE deal. I can ring chase later. Wiz here I come.

whats wrong with that?

I don't think he's saying it's wrong for Meeks to think that way. It's just reality that we have a slim chance of signing him outright. Heck, we would all do the same thing if we were in his shoes.

Maybe we should dump Blake to show everyone that whoever signs with us will get more burn. Surely we would find someone better than Blake or Morris.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:53 pm

^^^dumping Blake is easier said than done, seems like in todays league you have to give a 1st just to dump an expiring contract. I can't imagine what it would take to dump a player like Blake on a 2yr contract :bang:
khmrP

Postby Phil XI on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:46 pm

dj vitus wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Phil XI wrote:Translation: I care more about playing time than being on a winner right now because I need to show my stuff this year and to get paid with that fat MLE deal. I can ring chase later. Wiz here I come.

whats wrong with that?

I don't think he's saying it's wrong for Meeks to think that way. It's just reality that we have a slim chance of signing him outright. Heck, we would all do the same thing if we were in his shoes.

Exactly. No idea how wkrp jumped to 'right' and 'wrong'.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:11 pm

Guards have made the WEIRDEST decisions this off season....Aaron Brooks to Sacramento when they have 5,000 guards already, Randy Foye to Utah on a 1 yr deal, Ramon Sessions to the LOLcats, Nate Robinson to the Bulls when they already got Kirk Hinrich and Teague (and whenever Rose comes back), trying to think of more guards right now....but their decisions really puzzle me. Its like theyre trying to go to teams that have no playing time for them AND aren't even paying them what they should be getting.

I would laugh if Jodie Meeks goes to either of the 2 teams for the minimum....he has to come here, he will get 25mpg easily and he'll be able to showcase a lil with that 2nd unit. Plus it helps that he'll get to play with Kobe and Nash at times.....he has to think that Lakers will obvioulsy get nationally televised a lot more than the wizards and bucks....
FabFourLakers

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:24 pm

^ 25 mpg? I don't know about that.

Nash (30)/ Blake (18)/ Morris (0)
Kobe (23) / Meeks (25)/ Odom (0)
Artest (32)/ Kobe (12)/ Eyenga (4)
Gasol (28)/ Jamison (20)
Bynum (33)/ Hill (10)/ Gasol (5)/ Sacre (0)

Maybe like that?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Phil XI on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:41 pm

I'd give Eyenga's 4 min to AJ at SF.
Hill's gonna sheet bricks if he only gets 10 mpg.
I like that roster though.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:02 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ 25 mpg? I don't know about that.

Artest (32)/ Kobe (12)Jamison (4)/ Eyenga (0)
Gasol (28)/ Jamison (16)Hill(4)

Maybe like that?

I agree with Phil
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:04 pm

Phil XI wrote:I'd give Eyenga's 4 min to AJ at SF.

As do I. I actually slotted him there first, but changed it after remembering Jimmy Buss talk about seeing Eyenga on the floor more.

Hill is going to have to live with that unless we have Gasol playing nothing but PF which will cut Jamison's time. If we're cutting one of their times, I'm cutting Jordan's until further notice.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:06 pm

therealdeal wrote:

As do I. I actually slotted him there first, but changed it after remembering Jimmy Buss talk about seeing Eyenga on the floor more.

Hill is going to have to live with that unless we have Gasol playing nothing but PF which will cut Jamison's time. If we're cutting one of their times, I'm cutting Jordan's until further notice.

whats wrong with cutting down on MWP time? Pau could also see less PT too, so he wont have anymore excuse bout being tired.
khmrP

Postby Alcindor on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:18 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ 25 mpg? I don't know about that.

Artest (32)/ Kobe (12)/ Eyenga (4)
Gasol (28)/ Jamison (20)

Maybe like that?

I'd give AJ even more burn @ SF and get Hill some more mins @ PF. On blow outs I'd give Hill more minutes too.

Nash (30)/ Blake (18)/ Morris (garbage time)
Kobe (28) / Meeks (20)/ DJO (garbage time)
Artest (30)/ Kobe (6)/Jamison (12)/ Eyenga (garbage time)
Gasol (30)/ Jamison (10)/Hill (8)
Bynum (33)/ Hill (7)/ Gasol (8)/ Sacre (garbage time)
Last edited by Alcindor on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alcindor

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:18 pm

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

whats wrong with cutting down on MWP time? Pau could also see less PT too, so he wont have anymore excuse bout being tired.

32 minutes isn't exactly a long time for a starter and he seemed to be more engaged when he played longer. However, he played only 27-28 minutes or so last season, so let's use that as an example:

Bryant (23)/ Meeks (25)/ Odom (0)
Artest (28)/ Bryant (10)/ Jamison (6)/ Eyenga (4)
Gasol (33)/ Jamison (15)
Bynum (33)/ Hill (15)/ Sacre (0)

Does that sparkle more with everyone?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:24 pm

^^^Nope change it again.

(Insert troll face)
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:26 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^Nope change it again.

(Insert troll face)

:man10:

I wouldn't mind that lineup at all. Very versatile, can hit from a ton of angles. Defensively not as strong, but still impressive and formidable nonetheless.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Kobe and Gasol better not be playing 33-35 minutes per game, especially after coming off all the olympic games and traveling. they should be at 30 per game for the first 40 or so, with a few games off on back to backs, like Doc and Pop do with their players (the smart coaches).

Same with Nash. He should get about 7-8 games off this year too.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby SK8 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:41 pm

Don't worry about Kobe playing in olympic games. He is really not playing much, i guess in final vs Spain or Brasil, he will play more minutes, but that is not problem at all.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Re: Minutes

Postby JUST-MING on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:42 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:Kobe and Gasol better not be playing 33/35 minutes per game, especially after coming off all the Olympic games and traveling. they should be at 30 per game for the first 40 or so, with a few games off on back to backs, like Doc and Pop do with their players (the smart coaches). Same with Nash. He should get about 7 games off this year too.

If they can’t play starters minutes, then they should be traded or amnestied. The only reason I’d limit their minutes is if they’re blowing teams out. Otherwise, they’re playing all 82 games, 35+ minutes.
JUST-MING

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:51 pm

???? it is an 82 game season, plus an expected deep run into the playoffs against younger, fasther, more-athletic teams. They will need to pace themselves. Kobe's age and knee, Gasol's age and miles too, and Nash being 39. It is not about "starters" minutes. It is about a marathon. that is why Pop and Doc sit their players all the time. And playing the bench guys more (with starters -- not 5 new guys as a rotation) gets them better experience and confidence.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby dj vitus on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:30 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:???? it is an 82 game season, plus an expected deep run into the playoffs against younger, fasther, more-athletic teams. They will need to pace themselves. Kobe's age and knee, Gasol's age and miles too, and Nash being 39. It is not about "starters" minutes. It is about a marathon. that is why Pop and Doc sit their players all the time. And playing the bench guys more (with starters -- not 5 new guys as a rotation) gets them better experience and confidence.

You're absolutely right that they should be paced, but Mike Brown ain't gonna do it. He might limit Pau early on because of the Olympics (maybe 32 min), but after the all-star break, our original three will get at least 37 mins.

The only thing we can hope for is that their points can come easier with Nash now on board. It would also be easier if we had a guy who could get steals a la Ariza, and right now we have nobody.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Re: Minutes

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:06 am

JUST-MING wrote:
tigerjeterkobe wrote:Kobe and Gasol better not be playing 33/35 minutes per game, especially after coming off all the Olympic games and traveling. they should be at 30 per game for the first 40 or so, with a few games off on back to backs, like Doc and Pop do with their players (the smart coaches). Same with Nash. He should get about 7 games off this year too.

If they can’t play starters minutes, then they should be traded or amnestied. The only reason I’d limit their minutes is if they’re blowing teams out. Otherwise, they’re playing all 82 games, 35+ minutes.

Hopefully we can start blowing teams out again to get our starters some extra rest :man1:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:39 am

Apparently we have a 1.4 million dollar TPE from Luke Walton....

I think we should use that in a sign and trade, so that we can sign Meeks to a little bit more than the vet. min. And we can get him on a 3 year contract, just like the Willie Green trade, 2 and 3 years not guaranteed. If he works out, we have a guy on the cheap for the next 2 years. If not, he's gone after this season.

3 years / 4.5 million......good deal for us IMO.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion