Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby WilliamHaven on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:35 pm

I don't dislike the guy...I was super excited that we signed him. But we brought him in to do two things: 1) make 3 pointers; and 2) play decent defense. And he's done neither for the most part.

Playing "feisty" doesn't cut it. Ask Sasha.
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:28 pm

WilliamHaven wrote:I don't dislike the guy...I was super excited that we signed him. But we brought him in to do two things: 1) make 3 pointers; and 2) play decent defense. And he's done neither for the most part.

Agreed for the most part. I was also excited to get him, and underwhelmed with his performance thus far. He'll probably still get another chance . . . we'll see.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:28 pm

WilliamHaven wrote:I don't dislike the guy...I was super excited that we signed him. But we brought him in to do two things: 1) make 3 pointers; and 2) play decent defense. And he's done neither for the most part.

Agreed for the most part. I was also excited to get him, and underwhelmed with his performance thus far. He'll probably still get another chance . . . we'll see.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
therealdeal wrote:And most of those were available at the time of Jodie's signing. If you're going to mad about them not being here, blame the FO not Jodie.

Who said I was blaming Jodie? Chill asked who we could have gotten at the same price that was better. I answered his question.

You know my stance on the FO and these minimum/low price signings. They suck at it.

Sorry, I'm just sick of people bashing the kid at this point. He's hurt for Christ's sake and he did it for us, for LA.

So he wasn't able to lift us on his shoulders at some point this season. Let it go.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:00 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
therealdeal wrote:And most of those were available at the time of Jodie's signing. If you're going to mad about them not being here, blame the FO not Jodie.

Who said I was blaming Jodie? Chill asked who we could have gotten at the same price that was better. I answered his question.

You know my stance on the FO and these minimum/low price signings. They suck at it.

Sorry, I'm just sick of people bashing the kid at this point. He's hurt for Christ's sake and he did it for us, for LA.

So he wasn't able to lift us on his shoulders at some point this season. Let it go.

I'm sorry but that was just :man10:

Yeah poor kid. Hopefully the 1.5 mill he banked will help ease the pain.
nthydro

Postby khmrP on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:51 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

That injury was his fault....that was his typical fastbrake against multiple defenders that usually leads to a miss layup anyways.
khmrP

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:54 pm

all your minutes should have belonged to goudelock. hypothetically, i wonder how many more games we could have won?
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby borri on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Hell yeah I blame Meeks. He sucked/sucks. Countless wide open 3's bricked.
borri

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 am

you can't do the job we brought you here to do. you seem like a nice guy jodie, but get out.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Doc Brown on Mon May 06, 2013 8:57 pm

The Lakers have a team option on Jodie Meeks, for just $1.55 mil. I can't see the Lakers
cutting him loose at that amount.

No he didn't hit a tremendous percentage but he helped their transition D with his effort - and when he was on with his shot - he made the Lakers a lot tougher to beat.

The Lakers are so limited in what they have to offer - I would venture to guess Meeks is the starting shooting guard for LA on opening night.

I'm not sure when Kobe Bryant will be ready to start the season - Meeks could be it until then.

:hurl: :hurl:

I'd rather have Glock, if I had to choose.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Nashty Gal on Mon May 06, 2013 9:43 pm

BARF no meeks again please
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby Amoray on Mon May 06, 2013 10:09 pm

For the money he makes he is a good player.
Amoray

Postby Weezy on Mon May 06, 2013 11:09 pm

I mean I guess it's true that for that price you probably can't find a better player. But then we have the mini-MLE to offer a free agent PG/SG, and there are a lot of quality backups that are free agents this offseason. So yeah, I'd rather go after one of them or keep Glock for even cheaper, OR go after one of them AND keep Glock as backup until Kobe comes back.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 07, 2013 12:03 am

For me personally, I think the only thing Jodie's got going for him is his "price".

Tired of giving guys a pass because they're likable or try really hard. For me, everybody should be giving it their all, and if your work ethic is gonna be your calling card then it should be some legendary type ish. Otherwise, working hard and giving lots of effort should be something that's team-wide to the point where fans take it for granted until they watch another team and think "Wow, we're just flat out out-working them to a man".

If it was my choice Id let him walk, but I wouldn't be terribly upset if he was re-signed, again because of the price.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue May 07, 2013 12:12 am

Amoray wrote:For the money he makes he is a good player.

Not even for that...

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby khmrP on Tue May 07, 2013 8:06 am

Tobias Funke wrote:For me personally, I think the only thing Jodie's got going for him is his "price".

Tired of giving guys a pass because they're likable or try really hard. For me, everybody should be giving it their all, and if your work ethic is gonna be your calling card then it should be some legendary type ish. Otherwise, working hard and giving lots of effort should be something that's team-wide to the point where fans take it for granted until they watch another team and think "Wow, we're just flat out out-working them to a man".

If it was my choice Id let him walk, but I wouldn't be terribly upset if he was re-signed, again because of the price.

IMO I personally do not think we couldn't find someone of his calibre for the same price if not cheaper. Glock in his 2 game stint showed more than Meeks could have imagine offensively, in terms of creating his own shot and being able to do more than just chuck from 3's, defensively well just as horrid so makes no difference.
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Tue May 07, 2013 9:30 am

I wouldn't mind having him back but he needs to be the 3rd string SG. He at least hustles

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Jellincon on Tue May 07, 2013 10:10 am

My biggest issue with Meeks is his bball IQ. How many times last season did he try putting the ball on the floor knowing full and well he has no handles and get ripped. How many times would he get on the break and stupidly bum rush into the lane blowing a layup.

On D the effort was there but his inability to recognize his matchups strengths/weaknesses pretty much wasted his efforts. Trying to D up guys like Tyreke Evans (who he should know has no jumpshot and can blow right past him) instead of giving him a cushion and playing him for the drive is just not smart. I'll give him some slack on this though since it may be partly attributed to the coaching staff and their lack of game planning on D.

But the point is all that was needed of him was to play within his capabilities and do that well. That was an obvious fail. If still here next season, hopefully he can just play his role and actually use his brain out there on the floor.
Jellincon

Postby XXIV on Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

The Rock wrote:I wouldn't mind having him back but he needs to be the 3rd string SG. He at least hustles

This. I think for what we paid it's not a bad contract to bring back, plus it's an expiring. However, I still want a different backup SG.
XXIV

Postby dj vitus on Tue May 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Jellincon wrote:My biggest issue with Meeks is his bball IQ.

Thank you.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Tue May 07, 2013 1:03 pm

No he didn't hit a tremendous percentage but he helped their transition D with his effort - and when he was on with his shot - he made the Lakers a lot tougher to beat.

Who the hell wrote this article? every scrub can get steals does not mean they are good... MWP got steals but he's still a Amnesty-candidate. Meeks hit three's here and there... but I would rather have Krover or Vince Carter coming off the bench.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Meeks.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby davriver290 on Tue May 07, 2013 1:09 pm

I'm sure he'll work on some things quite a bit. He needs to recognize fast break attempts and when he can actually take it in... Hopefully he can tweak his shot and make the 3pt shot go in more consistently. He has a seriously fast release and he can do damage if that damn shot goes in!

If we take him, we seriously should just keep Glock for third string purposes and insert him when Blake/Meeks/Nash is off in some way.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Tue May 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Scrub players don't work on things to get better, Ask Kwame Brown or Jason Collins... It would be a total nightmare if Meeks is the starting SG on opening night....
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby davriver290 on Tue May 07, 2013 1:33 pm

C0TT0NCANDY wrote:Scrub players don't work on things to get better, Ask Kwame Brown or Jason Collins... It would be a total nightmare if Meeks is the starting SG on opening night....

Idk how you compare Jodie Meeks to Brown... Jason Collins made a career playing some physical defense and taking charges etc... He was far from a scrub...

Look at Clark.. Who was a "scrub" and turned out to be pretty valuable because he worked on his game. Your scrub statement is false.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Tue May 07, 2013 1:37 pm

I would not mind if Meeks returned, but only if he was a 3rd string SG.. off the bench... that article is talking about him being the starting SG on opening night... that is my concern... I'm sure he will Improve he has to anyway.. since he shot like 36% from the floor all season long...
C0TT0NCANDY

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion