Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: team exercises option for 13-14 (71)

Postby Barnstable on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:11 pm

His ball handling is still poor, but he has improved it from last season where I expected it to be a turnover every time he put it on the floor. Now I just expect a turnover half the time.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:41 pm

Doc Brown wrote:He made some big shots tonight. Needs to stop shooting off the dribble though. Catch and shoot 3's only for him.

I don't want to talk about his defense.

:man10: me neither
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:43 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:He made some big shots tonight. Needs to stop shooting off the dribble though. Catch and shoot 3's only for him.

I don't want to talk about his defense.

:man10: me neither

I'll talk about it. His D was disgusting. He couldn't stay in front of Crawford to save his life. Good thing his shots were falling tonight. I just wish his defense was EVER good. He's inconsistent with his shot - he's up and down there. But he's entirely consistent defensively. Always bad, unfortunately.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:44 pm

I talked a lot of s*** about Jodie in the 1st half, but then he did work.
Chillbongo

Postby Barnstable on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:48 pm

Chillbongo wrote:I talked a lot of s*** about Jodie in the 1st half, but then he did work.

don't feel bad. It was well deserved
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:55 pm

fast break legend. guy played well on both ends. knocked down some pretty ballsy 3's but we all know that next game its gonna be terrible. I do think playing with a younger unit who can run and gun and drive and kick really puts him in a good rhythm and thats crucial for meeks to knock down shots. hes a great long range catch and shoot player and having guys like farmar x and wes being aggressive will really help him get some looks in rhythm and within the flow of the game.

i like meeks and hope with that unit he can get some solid chemistry and hit some shots at an efficient rate for us. dantoni cant mess with him or the unit he plays with bc it'll mess up his shooting. 1 game is only 1 game but i like that unit and hope it doesnt change too much if at all
Ariza3

Postby revgen on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:25 am

He was good tonight. Not great, but good. We need more games like this from him.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby BDG on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:26 am

Right after I starting yelling at him through the TV, he started playing awesome. Big part of us pulling away from the Clippers.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby jlkr on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:28 am

BDG wrote:Right after I starting yelling at him through the TV, he started playing awesome. Big part of us pulling away from the Clippers.

BDG sparks Lakers to victory, film at 11!
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:21 am

BDG wrote:Right after I starting yelling at him through the TV, he started playing awesome. Big part of us pulling away from the Clippers.

I think he was 3-4 from the arc in the 4th quarter? He was huge for us down the stretch. His energy fits well with that team. Not to mention his sneaky athleticism. He always surprises me how fast he is from end to end.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:56 pm

You better start yelling at him some more.
charvin

Postby gcclaker on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:04 pm

You'll probably yell ALL season when Meeks is in the game. To borrow the NFL Bud Light catchphrase: "It's only wierd if it works"... :man1:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:36 pm

therealdeal wrote:

I think he was 3-4 from the arc in the 4th quarter? He was huge for us down the stretch. His energy fits well with that team. Not to mention his sneaky athleticism. He always surprises me how fast he is from end to end.

He wasn't doing that ish last year with his dribble, would have been flat out disaster, now you cringe but maybe only half the time disaster and hopefully it's still going down. He has worked on his handles. Maybe he can still improve them further.

Don't understand with his pretty decent athleticism why he can't play better defense, deferring to others here. Hopefully one of the supporting coaching staff or other teammates can help him out. Seems to be one for all and all for one now that Clown and his cancerous, prima donna personality left town. God I hope we beat them too the first game.
LTLakerFan

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: big game 1: credit to BDG yell! (74)

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:41 pm

He can't play better defense until he gets the mental aspect of it down. He gets lost on defense too many times. Very few people can guard the wings/PG's in this league one on one. The least you can do is not get lost. If Meeks didn't get lost on defense so much, it wouldn't be that big of a problem, but that's not the case.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby revgen on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:21 pm

I gotta admit. He's been pretty decent the last 3 games. I hope he continues to get better.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:23 pm

He's been better than Blake and Nash, that can't be good for us long term.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:52 pm

Meeks is an odd player. Thus far his strengths have been his weaknesses and his weaknesses his strengths. :man10:
XXIV

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:57 pm

XXIV wrote:Meeks is an odd player. Thus far his strengths have been his weaknesses and his weaknesses his strengths. :man10:

Whatever it is, at least he looks better than he did last season.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Scnottaken on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:02 am

^Where his strengths were his weaknesses and his weaknesses were his weaknesses.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:54 pm

I think Meeks and Shawne Williams traded mojo on opening night...seriously, though, if Meeks can just play like this when Kobe comes back, and Antoni can realize that the Steve's should only play garbage time (if that) and play Farmar 35+, then maybe we can not give up those 15+ point runs we have been probe to so far this season. Oh, and play Kaman and Hill more, Sean Williams and Wes Johnson AT THE 4 about NEVER minutes a game. Stay big, at this point it is our best bet.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby Toklat on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:03 pm

I like his confidence and what he is bringing. At least for now people are going to have to find someone else to complain about. Meeks has earned regular rotation minutes. I had all but written him off earlier.
Toklat

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:23 pm

revgen wrote:I gotta admit. He's been pretty decent the last 3 games. I hope he continues to get better.

Was thinking the same. Meeks has quietly improved this season. First game his D was stinky, but he's been hitting on offense, and playing a lot more consistently well. He sure plays the 2 a lot better than Blake.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:53 pm

I'm no longer cringing when he's petal to the metal pushing it on a break :mhihi: still doubtful but not cringing :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:24 am

Lakerjones wrote:
revgen wrote:I gotta admit. He's been pretty decent the last 3 games. I hope he continues to get better.

Was thinking the same. Meeks has quietly improved this season. First game his D was stinky, but he's been hitting on offense, and playing a lot more consistently well. He sure plays the 2 a lot better than Blake.

Definitely. I'd rather have him for sure over Blake.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:48 pm

Looks like a completely different player from last season.. I have a feeling that changes when Kobe is back & he gets minutes at inconsistent spots in the rotation while D'antoni is figuring out how to use Young & X with Kobe. & you know he'll still find minutes for Blake. I'd love to see him keep this up all season.. This is much closer to what I thought we were getting when we signed him.. I thought he was a steal..
LakersN4

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion