Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:59 am

I'm indifferent on this one. He doesn't really scream impact player to me. Would rather have someone with a little more athleticism. But, we're down to the table scraps in free agent talent, so beggars can't be choosy.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
User avatar
CarolinaLakerFan

 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:49 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby khmrP on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:01 am

if thats all mgmt can afford I'm ok with that as per kray his overall fg% isn't very good sub 40%.......and he's a very streaky shooters, we know how that goes with some of our other streaky shooters, once they go on the cold streak they're basically useless.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby Thenextgreat on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:50 am

LakeShow85 wrote:
trodgers wrote:No elevation? :man10:


Exactly, what is no elevation? He is jumping right? :man3: :freak2:


Same thing I thought watching that video...lol...I haven't watched Meeks since his Kentucky days. He use to really light it up in College...I wouldn't mind him coming off the bench.
User avatar
Thenextgreat

 
Posts: 2132
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:07 am

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:11 am

You guys are crazy. If Mitch could convince him to take the minimum he'd be a GREAT fit. He's a terrific shooter, a fiery player, and he's only in his early 20s. I'm not saying he makes us a contender, but he certainly helps a LOT.

Think a Sasha Vujacic type guy for this team. He'd be great. In fact, now that I think of it, Mitch would be rebuilding his 2009 bench but Blake instead of Farmar:
Blake - Farmar
Meeks - Vujacic/ Brown
Ebanks - Ariza
Jamison - Odom
Hill - Powell
Sacre - Mbenga

I mean some differences obviously, but the blueprint is there. If we were trying to duplicate that bench with minimum and cheap contracts, it'd probably look like that :man10: If our bench had the same attitude and fire as that 2009 team did, I'd be okay with them.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40319
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:21 am

i think he'd be a good fit, esp with nash as our point. rain in those open 3's.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
User avatar
lakersyunowin

 
Posts: 10404
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby khmrP on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:25 am

fksteveblake wrote:i think he'd be a good fit, esp with nash as our point. rain in those open 3's.


Nash/Meeks as the backcourt would fail defensively on a consistent basis, more than likely get our bigs in foul trouble. I also find it unlikely Nash would be the floor once Meeks subs in for Kobe.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby Rooscooter on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:03 am

Meeks is everything a lot around here say Goudelock is..... He would be a great addition to the bench.... a real 3 point threat that can also create his own shot if needed..... only about 2 or 3 of those players on the whole team....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22918
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby khmrP on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:07 am

Rooscooter wrote:Meeks is everything a lot around here say Goudelock is..... He would be a great addition to the bench.... a real 3 point threat that can also create his own shot if needed..... only about 2 or 3 of those players on the whole team....


shooting sub 40% I would say he isn't doing a great job of creating for himself then, not that I'm against the signing but the few gms I've seen of Meeks doesn't suggest he creates much on his own, he is more of a catch and shoot guy which we do need but I'm gona stick with my belief that he is a streak shooter considering his fg and 3pt %.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby TIME on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:09 am

Combo guard who will D up with commitment and can hit the 3 ball with some decent % for Vet Min? Nah why would we want that?
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9471
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby Rooscooter on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:11 am

khmrP wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:Meeks is everything a lot around here say Goudelock is..... He would be a great addition to the bench.... a real 3 point threat that can also create his own shot if needed..... only about 2 or 3 of those players on the whole team....


shooting sub 40% I would say he isn't doing a great job of creating for himself then, not that I'm against the signing but the few gms I've seen of Meeks doesn't suggest he creates much on his own, he is more of a catch and shoot guy which we do need but I'm gona stick with my belief that he is a streak shooter considering his fg and 3pt %.


Comparatively..... show me someone on our bench you'd rather have the ball at the guard position....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22918
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby khmrP on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:21 am

Rooscooter wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:Meeks is everything a lot around here say Goudelock is..... He would be a great addition to the bench.... a real 3 point threat that can also create his own shot if needed..... only about 2 or 3 of those players on the whole team....


shooting sub 40% I would say he isn't doing a great job of creating for himself then, not that I'm against the signing but the few gms I've seen of Meeks doesn't suggest he creates much on his own, he is more of a catch and shoot guy which we do need but I'm gona stick with my belief that he is a streak shooter considering his fg and 3pt %.


Comparatively..... show me someone on our bench you'd rather have the ball at the guard position....


none, doesn't mean Meeks it the ideal replacement either and I've noted I'm not against the signing especially for vet min. I'm just stating the other side of the argument.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby S.R.05 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:25 am

i think he's about as good as it's gonna get as a backup guard for the min. seems clear we aren't getting brandon rush and the options are starting to dry up
Hindsight is 20/20
User avatar
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst
 
Posts: 11368
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:18 pm
Location: Chatsworth, CA

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby karacha on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:42 am

Meeks is not a star or anything, but:

1. He's young,
2. He knows his role and
3. He can shoot.

Basically, if we can get him, he would be great off the bench. He's exactly what we need.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37464
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:51 am

Alright so I delved a bit deeper into what Meeks is as a player (just a bit mind you) and here's what I got:

He shot 2.9/7.1 (40.9%) from the field last season and 1.4/4.0 (36.5%) from deep. Taking that a bit deeper:
- He shot his worst percentage from just inside the 3-Point line at 32.4%; unfortunately that's were his 3rd most shot attempts came from.
- He shot his best percentage around the rim at 61.7%, the good news is that this was his 2nd most prefered shot destination, a sign that he is also willing to attack.
- He shot 42.3% from 3-9 feet and 44.4% from 10-15 feet, but shot only 26 and 36 shots from those spots respectively, which are his two lowest totals by far (the next closest was 16-3pt line with 71 attempts).
- All that being said, he shot easily the most from outside where he was fairly successful (100/279 for 35.8%).
- He shot 408 jumpshots compared to only 85 dunks or layups (5 dunks on the season).


He may not be a creator, but he seems to be able to get to the basket enough because of the respect people have for his jump shot.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40319
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby Rooscooter on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:54 am

khmrP wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:Meeks is everything a lot around here say Goudelock is..... He would be a great addition to the bench.... a real 3 point threat that can also create his own shot if needed..... only about 2 or 3 of those players on the whole team....


shooting sub 40% I would say he isn't doing a great job of creating for himself then, not that I'm against the signing but the few gms I've seen of Meeks doesn't suggest he creates much on his own, he is more of a catch and shoot guy which we do need but I'm gona stick with my belief that he is a streak shooter considering his fg and 3pt %.


Comparatively..... show me someone on our bench you'd rather have the ball at the guard position....


none, doesn't mean Meeks it the ideal replacement either and I've noted I'm not against the signing especially for vet min. I'm just stating the other side of the argument.


Oh... I get what you're saying... but our front office seems fixated on putting an All Star group of starters together supported by a bunch of castoffs, mid-second round picks and just about anyone that will sign for the Vet Min. Meeks would be a steal if we can get him for the Vet Min....

I'd like to see some real balance on the team..... but I'm afraid we will continue to see heavy minutes for the starters again..... heaven forbid a real injury happens .....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22918
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby jamabile on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:06 am

As others have said he'd be a steal for the vet min and can provide more scoring off our bench, youth, & shooting. If we can add him and somehow get another combo guard to play PG/SG, we should be fine...
jamabile

 

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:16 am

therealdeal wrote:Alright so I delved a bit deeper into what Meeks is as a player (just a bit mind you) and here's what I got:

He shot 2.9/7.1 (40.9%) from the field last season and 1.4/4.0 (36.5%) from deep. Taking that a bit deeper:
- He shot his worst percentage from just inside the 3-Point line at 32.4%; unfortunately that's were his 3rd most shot attempts came from.
- He shot his best percentage around the rim at 61.7%, the good news is that this was his 2nd most prefered shot destination, a sign that he is also willing to attack.
- He shot 42.3% from 3-9 feet and 44.4% from 10-15 feet, but shot only 26 and 36 shots from those spots respectively, which are his two lowest totals by far (the next closest was 16-3pt line with 71 attempts).
- All that being said, he shot easily the most from outside where he was fairly successful (100/279 for 35.8%).
- He shot 408 jumpshots compared to only 85 dunks or layups (5 dunks on the season).

edit: For reference on some of these percentages and numbers here's Kobe's:
From 3-pt: 104/347 (30%)
From 16- 3-pt: 195/469 (41.6%)
From 10-15 ft: 133/314 (42.4%)
From 3-9 ft: 112/268 (41.8%)
From the rim: 162/239 (67.8%)

He took 1,380 jumpshots compared to 248 dunks, layups, and tips. That's roughly 15% of his shots inside (Meeks was somewhere around 18-19%).

He may not be a creator, but he seems to be able to get to the basket enough because of the respect people have for his jump shot.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40319
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby borri on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:21 am

Showtime.Revival.05 wrote:i think he's about as good as it's gonna get as a backup guard for the min. seems clear we aren't getting brandon rush and the options are starting to dry up


QFT.
User avatar
borri

 
Posts: 8037
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:16 pm

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:26 am

We should just bring in Nate and Meeks, screw defense, we didn't play any last year off the bench and we got the added bonus of no scoring.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19455
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:36 am

therealdeal wrote:Alright so I delved a bit deeper into what Meeks is as a player (just a bit mind you) and here's what I got:

He shot 2.9/7.1 (40.9%) from the field last season and 1.4/4.0 (36.5%) from deep. Taking that a bit deeper:
- He shot his worst percentage from just inside the 3-Point line at 32.4%; unfortunately that's were his 3rd most shot attempts came from.
- He shot his best percentage around the rim at 61.7%, the good news is that this was his 2nd most prefered shot destination, a sign that he is also willing to attack.
- He shot 42.3% from 3-9 feet and 44.4% from 10-15 feet, but shot only 26 and 36 shots from those spots respectively, which are his two lowest totals by far (the next closest was 16-3pt line with 71 attempts).
- All that being said, he shot easily the most from outside where he was fairly successful (100/279 for 35.8%).
- He shot 408 jumpshots compared to only 85 dunks or layups (5 dunks on the season).


He may not be a creator, but he seems to be able to get to the basket enough because of the respect people have for his jump shot.
SPOKEN LIKE A TRU GM :man9:
User avatar
PurpleNGold1

 
Posts: 6584
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:30 pm
Location: SFV/NOHO AREA

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:36 am

IF YOU LOOK AT THE HIGHLIGHTS OF PAST YEAR HE DRIVES TO THE RIM ALOT
User avatar
PurpleNGold1

 
Posts: 6584
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:30 pm
Location: SFV/NOHO AREA

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby karacha on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:44 am

Surprisingly, he can even finish at the rim. Although, if joins our team... that ability might go down the drain as soon as he signs the contract.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37464
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:46 am

khmrP wrote:
fksteveblake wrote:i think he'd be a good fit, esp with nash as our point. rain in those open 3's.


Nash/Meeks as the backcourt would fail defensively on a consistent basis, more than likely get our bigs in foul trouble. I also find it unlikely Nash would be the floor once Meeks subs in for Kobe.


what's with this fallacy circulating around here that no starters ever share the court with any bench players
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
User avatar
lakersyunowin

 
Posts: 10404
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby khmrP on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:49 am

fksteveblake wrote:
khmrP wrote:
fksteveblake wrote:i think he'd be a good fit, esp with nash as our point. rain in those open 3's.


Nash/Meeks as the backcourt would fail defensively on a consistent basis, more than likely get our bigs in foul trouble. I also find it unlikely Nash would be the floor once Meeks subs in for Kobe.


what's with this fallacy circulating around here that no starters ever share the court with any bench players


having nash/meeks in the backcourt is the same as Sess/Blake defensively and what fallacy? When you consider Nash age, his minutes need to be reduced, he should sit before Kobe does.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:53 am

khmrP wrote:
fksteveblake wrote:
khmrP wrote:
fksteveblake wrote:i think he'd be a good fit, esp with nash as our point. rain in those open 3's.


Nash/Meeks as the backcourt would fail defensively on a consistent basis, more than likely get our bigs in foul trouble. I also find it unlikely Nash would be the floor once Meeks subs in for Kobe.


what's with this fallacy circulating around here that no starters ever share the court with any bench players


having nash/meeks in the backcourt is the same as Sess/Blake defensively and what fallacy? When you consider Nash age, his minutes need to be reduced, he should sit before Kobe does.


so where is this guard you have in mind that is a defensive stud, can provide offense and shoot the 3, and on top of that, can be had on the cheap? i think you're reaching too high here instead of realistically

also, are you seriously telling me that meeks and nash would never play together in any games?
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
User avatar
lakersyunowin

 
Posts: 10404
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kit and 8 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.