Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: career high 42 for OKC (81)

Postby XXIV on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:18 am

therealdeal wrote:
XXIV wrote:I remember Meeks being a lot less effective when Kobe was around. I have a feeling we will get that Meeks again next year with Kobe back, only this time he'll be getting paid a lot more.

I think he was intimidated by Kobe and by the roster around him. But this season he had more opportunities and he's really made great strides offensively. Defensively he's at least playing the passing lanes well, so that's something.

I think he'd be fine now moving forward. He's going to be a good role player somewhere, I just don't think it's going to be here for us.

I agree with him being intimidated, but I just don't see that changing next season with Kobe returning. I'm trying to remember how Meeks was doing when Kobe returned earlier this season and I don't think he was doing well either during that short period. I'd rather let him go and use that money towards bringing Nick Young back.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:29 am

I'm not saying I want Jodie back over Nick Young or that I want Jodie back at all if he's going to cost more than the minimum. I'm just saying he could coexist with Kobe, that's all.

Here's Jodie's averages with Kobe this season, but remember this is back in early December and Jodie has been improving all year long.

Dec. 8-17-
8.84 points
2.67 rebounds
1.17 assists
1.84 turnovers
1.17 steals
FG 30% (21/71)
3PT 28% (8/29)
FT 60% (3/5)
~ 31 minutes per game
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:40 am

If he can hit the three at the same clip that he is now then I also think he can fit with Kobe. He just can't allow Kobe to intimidate him to a point where it affects his game.
XXIV

Postby gcclaker on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:47 am

XXIV wrote:If he can hit the three at the same clip that he is now then I also think he can fit with Kobe. He just can't allow Kobe to intimidate him to a point where it affects his game.

I've seen only one player who had the cojones to do that...and he's playing with OKC. If Bryant has noticed the improvement in Meeks' game and confidence then he should have no qualms in passing him the ball when he's swarmed.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Meeks game has consistently declined every time he plays next to Kobe, but the entire offense took a hit when Kobe returned in December because Kobe was trying to play PG & played too much of the 2 man game with Pau. The ball movement was great up until that point & was the main reason we were hovering around the .500 mark.. Nothing has been the same since.
LakersN4

Postby jlkr on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Someone will overpay for Meeks as the FA market is pretty dry this year when it comes to superstar talent availability. Won't be the Lakers as the team needs to be flexible to get it done in summer,2015.

That said, thanks for the effort. And the 42.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:27 pm

Westbrook on holding down Jodie Meeks: "He just happened to get lucky the first time. We're not worried about what Jodie Meeks does."

Them fightin' words...
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:26 pm

scoring 42 in this league, especially against OKC, isn't luck. Meeks is an excellent shooter and hustles hard; but Westbrook is far more talented and he's just mad bc his career high is only 3 more at 45 points and Meeks did it on him. Scoring 40 is scoring 40...everyone in the league is there for a reason. Give credit where its due...Meeks balled that game especially for a non-star / superstar player.
Ariza3

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:06 am

Gerald Green scored 41 against OKC in the previous game ... no Russell , it's not luck , it is called doing at terrible job at locating shooters and getting out of position for steals ... something you often do .

Keep showing off on dunks when your team is down and keep taking bad decisions down the stretch Russ so a team can get lucky in the playoffs and beat OKC
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:39 am

Vasashi17 wrote:
Westbrook on holding down Jodie Meeks: "He just happened to get lucky the first time. We're not worried about what Jodie Meeks does."

Them fightin' words...

Have you seen our team? We are a bunch of pansies. Westbrook could have announced that over the mic pre-game and our players would have probably went up to him afterwards.....

"That was a great speech Mr. Westbrook, good luck in the game tonight. We will play our hardest and I hope you do as well. It should be a great game"
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:42 am

jlkr wrote:Someone will overpay for Meeks as the FA market is pretty dry this year when it comes to superstar talent availability. Won't be the Lakers as the team needs to be flexible to get it done in summer,2015.

That said, thanks for the effort. And the 42.

This is just Russell Westbrook. Like I said in his NBA forum thread, he sees players like Meeks as beneath him, he made no secret about it with that comment. That's a totally unnecessary comment as well, about a guy who always plays hard, had a great game for a night for the home fans, and wasn't even a jerk or bragging about it after. Jodie did nothing to deserve a shot like that from Westbrook, but that's just how he is.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Manve77 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:35 pm

IMHO Meeks was the best player this year. Good numbers, stable, a fighter...Pity if he leaves...
Spartak Moscow. Lakers. Penguins. Liverpool. Lazio. Barcelona. River Plate.
Manve77

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:52 pm

Manve77 wrote:IMHO Meeks was the best player this year. Good numbers, stable, a fighter...Pity if he leaves...

Kobe comes back. Game slows down. Meeks back to being a spot up shooter. Bad results.

He's going to con some team into giving him a nice payday. 20% of the proceeds should go to the MDA retirement fund because this open offense let him do whatever he wanted.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:05 am

I still like the kid, but I'd be shocked if he came back. He really did fight for us and for the uniform and I appreciate that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:37 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Manve77 wrote:IMHO Meeks was the best player this year. Good numbers, stable, a fighter...Pity if he leaves...

Kobe comes back. Game slows down. Meeks back to being a spot up shooter. Bad results.

He's going to con some team into giving him a nice payday. 20% of the proceeds should go to the MDA retirement fund because this open offense let him do whatever he wanted.

Agreed. Let him go.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:49 am

Doc Brown wrote:

Yeah.. If he doesn't end up in an uptempo free flowing offense, whoever pays him is going to have serious regrets.
LakersN4

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:31 pm

Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 30s

I'm told Jodie Meeks received calls from "several teams" including Lakers. Unclear what those other teams are.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Barnstable on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:35 pm

JSM wrote:
Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 30s

I'm told Jodie Meeks received calls from "several teams" including Lakers. Unclear what those other teams are.

I hope the call from the Lakers was to call him names, talk s*** about his mother, and tell him to F off to another team
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:51 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 17s
Jodie Meeks has agreed to a three-year, $19 million-plus contract with the Detroit Pistons, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

:man4: :man4: :man4:

Good effing riddance. Holy s***. Fail Detroit.
Doc Brown

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:53 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 17s
Jodie Meeks has agreed to a three-year, $19 million-plus contract with the Detroit Pistons, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

:man4: :man4: :man4:

Good effing riddance. Holy s***. Fail Detroit.

WOW :man4:

lol never expected that, but typical Pistons
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:56 pm

Jeebus! If players like Meeks are going to get paid like that we have no shot offering free agents 2 year deals. What the hell is wrong with teams, I repeat, this new CBA was supposed to STOP the idiotic spending. Teams can't help themselves it seems, what decides a players value seems to be a mystery. No wonder Ariza is asking 8 to 11, and Lowry 12, scrubs get 6+.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby 1bartg22 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:58 pm

I knew he'd get JJ Reddick like money. But Detroit?? Damn I thought he'd go to a contender...
1bartg22

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:59 pm

:man10: Love it. That's why they'll always be Detroit. Meeks is so overrated...hopefully there is a Team Option in there for Detroit's benefit, but I doubt it...
lukewaltonsdad

Postby shoe on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:01 pm

3 years $19mill?!?! :man10: :man10: :man10:

Good for Jodie
shoe

Postby SK8 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:05 pm

I am so happy for Jodie, great guy, always played hard for us, and he improved a lot, he will do great over there.
And that is some serious $$$, he can thank Kobe for being injured whole season, that was great audition for Meeks, i knew that he would get that money, not surprised.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion