Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Welcome To The Lakers Jodie Meeks (Page 12, 2 years $3 mil)

Postby kray28 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:17 am

KB24 wrote:So Meeks was considering the Wizzards or Bobcats but the Dwight Howard trade meant he would have a better chance to win here...? lol, kind of made no sense.

His agent is also Ebanks' agent...so I think that played a role too.
kray28

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:40 am

KB24 wrote:So Meeks was considering the Wizzards or Bobcats but the Dwight Howard trade meant he would have a better chance to win here...? lol, kind of made no sense.

I'm guessing they were offering a little more money so he was considering taking that, but once the Dwight trade went through and the Lakers became the most exciting team on paper, he wanted to be a part of that.

He came here to win though, that's for sure.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Murdock on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:11 am

therealdeal wrote:

I'm guessing they were offering a little more money so he was considering taking that, but once the Dwight trade went through and the Lakers became the most exciting team on paper, he wanted to be a part of that.

makes sence for player like him few hunders dollars a year means a lot more than to Kobes and such ... I can't really blame him ... I hope he will keep up with his shooting I am kinda worried after blake's transition ...
Murdock

Postby VincentTH on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:21 am

therealdeal wrote:

Same thing happened to Mike Miller who picked the Heat over the Lakers once Lebron was done with his Decision.
VincentTH

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:30 pm

Meeks might feel he can bolster his value on the Lakers as well so taking a little less money now might be worth it in the long run.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:37 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Meeks might feel he can bolster his value on the Lakers as well so taking a little less money now might be worth it in the long run.

What's great is that we have a TEAM option on the 2nd year of his contract...so we can have him on the books for 2 yrs on a very cheap contract and then finally when Blake and Duhon become expiring next summer, we can get rid of those 2 (combined almost 8M btwn 2 crappy PG's) in a trade and bring in an impact PG to back up Nash.
FabFourLakers

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Jodie Meeks ‏@Jmeeks20
Jus signed! Officially a Laker!!
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

:jam2: :jam2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:17 pm

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

Laker fans are going to love this guy.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Sean on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:29 pm

via twitter:

LakersReporter: The Lakers just announced the signing of free agent Jodie Meeks, plus the re-signing of Devin Ebanks. More soon.
"Either you are still a Laker fan, or you never were." -Guru
Sean

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:36 pm

Sean wrote:via twitter:

LakersReporter: The Lakers just announced the signing of free agent Jodie Meeks, plus the re-signing of Devin Ebanks. More soon.

Let's see those two and Jordan Hill doing a presser. Good times.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby BadCoaching on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Wow.. sure feel spoiled this off season lol..

I never dreamed we'd get these players honestly.. I thought D12 was dead in the water and Nash would be too stubborn. Now we're getting strong bench/role guys.......

Amazing. Ron is going to come out even better than he was to end last season... crazy.
BadCoaching

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:05 pm

YES finally its official! finally kobe has a decent backup. you could tell he really missed sasha and shannon backing him up...now hes got young talent :jam2:
Ariza3

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Great F'ing Offseason...!!!!

Resigned the right guys, Got two All-Stars, added a few key bench players...

One of the most successful Summers in Laker History, IMO.
LakerFanIam

Postby denimPortugal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:41 pm

I expect a lot from him!!
Good luck Jodie! :jam2:
denimPortugal

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Newest Laker Jodie Meeks: 1-on-1

Moments after signing his new contract to become a Los Angeles Laker, Jodie Meeks joined Lakers.com at the team’s practice facility for a Q&A session:

MT: You were a big-time scorer at Kentucky who slipped in the draft to No. 41 overall (Milwaukee), and spent your first year mostly on the bench. You were traded to Philadelphia after 41 games and appeared in 19 for the Sixers before eventually earning a starting role in your second season. Was that how you saw yourself before entering the NBA?
Meeks: Coming out of college I averaged around 25 points per game, so I always thought of myself as one of the best players in my draft class, regardless of where I was taken. When I got drafted I was kind of disappointing even while being happy to be in the league, and was relieved to get traded to Philadelphia after not playing much in Milwaukee. I was happy for a new start, and coach (Doug) Collins gave me a breath of fresh air, an opportunity to play and start in the NBA for almost a year and a half. Now I’m just very excited to be in Los Angeles.

MT: Having had some options, how did you make your decision?
Meeks: It’s been a long summer trying to figure out where I wanted to go. It was different, with the uncertainty, but I got a call a few weeks back from my agent asking me if I’d be interested in playing for the Lakers, and of course I said ‘Yes’ because it’s such a storied organization. There are three Hall of Famers, maybe four that I’m going to be playing with, so I’m really looking forward to it. It’s going to be a great season and hopefully (we’ll) get a championship.

MT: What makes you a good fit for the Lakers?
Meeks: I know they have good shooters here, but I felt like my capability of shooting threes and my overall game was the best fit for here. I think this team needs me to come off the bench and be a spark on the defensive end, but at the same time be able to knock down open shots because Dwight (Howard), Kobe (Bryant), Steve Nash and Pau Gasol are going to be drawing double teams. I’m going to be out there all alone waiting to shoot. I have a lot of confidence in myself whether I’m knocking them down in that game or not.

MT: People may recall your hitting 10 threes in one game at Kentucky before setting the scoring record for a single game (54). Guessing you could shoot out of the womb, but have you been able to show your whole game within the role you’ve been assigned?
Meeks: I’ve always been able to shoot. When I was in college, I worked really hard to show people I could shoot, because when I was coming out of high school people said I was athletic, but I couldn’t shoot that well. Now it’s the opposite. People say I can shoot but I’m not as athletic. I’m interested in showing everyone my entire game. My role in my first three seasons in the NBA has been (as) a spot-up shooter, which I’ve been glad to do, but I feel like I can score in many different ways. I can get to the free throw line, I have a mid-range game, I can create off the dribble, but that hasn’t been my role. Coming off the bench on this team, I think I can be that spark.

MT: With players like Andre Iguodala and Jrue Holiday in Philly that played more off the dribble, it makes sense that you’d be asked to spot up…
Meeks: It wouldn’t be intelligent for me to do something (other) than what the team needed. The role for me was to spot up, and I think I did a pretty good job; the team made the playoffs in both my years as a starter. I worked really hard in that regard, because when you’re spotting up, you don’t get that many shots to make the most out of.

MT: And you’ll most likely be doing plenty of spotting up for Mike Brown as well. Can it be difficult to find a rhythm when you only get a few shots a game?
Meeks: Sometimes, but you have to make the most out of it. I don’t really use excuses. I expect myself to make the shot. However many I get – one, two, 10 – I’m just going to try and make the most out of them.

MT: Do you have a percentage in mind that you shoot for?
Meeks: I want to hit all of them, but that’s not realistic. I try to make more than I miss. A good game for me would be to make four of eight, 50 percent. You’ll have off nights, but I want to have consistent shot-making ability of half my shots.

MT: What do you make of playing behind Kobe Bryant?
Meeks: It’s a great opportunity. He’s a guy I’ve looked up to since I was a little kid. He has a lot of experience and can definitely be a mentor towards me as a young player, just going into my fourth year.

MT: Kobe has a few tricks, and especially in recent years has taken young players (Trevor Ariza, Shannon Brown, etc.) under his wing.
Meeks: Oh yeah, just a few. I can only get better going against him every day in practice, and at shootarounds and film sessions. I’m going to try to be a sponge, soak up everything that he has to offer. I always listen to people that have more experience and are older than me.

MT: Bryant played a loooot of minutes last season for a 16-year veteran. Do you think you can earn the trust from the coaching staff to allow him more time resting his legs on the bench?
Meeks: I’m a good fit because I’ve started in the NBA for a while, started (114 of the 200) games I’ve played, and been to the playoffs twice. I think Coach Collins trusted me and want to be someone that Coach Brown and Mitch Kupchak can trust on a regular basis.

MT: How would you describe your ability on D?
Meeks: I don’t think I get enough credit for my defense. A lot of people saw me as a scorer in college and a spot shooter in the NBA, but what they don’t see is I take a lot of pride in my defense. I’ve guarded all the best players in the world: Kobe, Dwyane Wade and those kind of players. I think I’ve done a pretty decent job, but I think I can get better. I have a lot to learn, I’m only 24 and have experience to gain, but I play hard every night. That’s the main thing I pride myself upon.

MT: As a shooter/scorer, how appealing is it to play with a passer like Steve Nash?
Meeks: That was definitely appearing to me even before Dwight said he was coming here. Steve Nash is a great passer and one of the best players to ever play, so when I’m on the court sometimes with him I think I’ll get open shots. Kobe is definitely a willing passer as well, and I’ve seen that he trusts his teammates, so with the guys on this team I think I’ll get a lot of open looks.

MT: Word is you like to lock yourself in the gym? To what degree is that the case?
Meeks: Always. That’s the key to myself. If I don’t spend a lot of time in the gym, I start to feel like something’s wrong. I feel guilty, like I’m not working hard enough. So in the summer time, I’m in the gym all the time, and during the season it’s full out working every day. I always have my mind on basketball.

http://blog.lakers.com/lakers/2012/08/13/newest-laker-jodie-meeks-1-on-1/
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:28 pm

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Kid said all the right things. Being a sponge, taking pride in D, knowing his role, looking to get better by challenging Kobe in practice, having playoff experience, having guarded Ray Allen, Joe Johnson, Terry, Wade and Mayo quite a bit and being a gym rat are all great qualities.

But.....3 HOFs and possibly another?? Kobe and Nash, ok. Was he talking about Dwight as the other and Gasol as the maybe? Or visa versa?? Hmmmm
tigerjeterkobe

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Whatthef? wrote:
MadMax wrote:
Jodie Meeks ‏@Jmeeks20
When I ge off the plane I def need some In and Out in my life!

atta boy.

Animal style!

That is the smartest tweet I have ever seen from an NBA player. We are gonna love this guy.
I will bet he can't wait to go up against Kobe in practice everyday. It will make him so much better.

:jam2: like this guy already
Ariza3

Postby The Rock on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Apparently we signed him for like $1.4 mil of the mini MLE which means we still have about $1.7 mil remaining in the rest of the mini MLE. Whos next, Delfino :man13: :man13: :man13:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby karacha on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:47 pm

So, let's see what he did against those SG's combined last year.

Wade: 12 pts, 6/16. 26 pts, 10/20.
Kobe: 28 pts, 10/26.

Total: 22 points per game, shooting 42%.

Not too bad, but I don't know how much he actually guarded them.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:49 pm

He reminds me of the SG version of Rick Fox. He knows his limitations and hes smart enough to just stick to doing what he does best. He'll take advantage and drive to the basket when you least expect it. Not a great defender but hes solid

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:51 pm

The Rock wrote:Apparently we signed him for like $1.4 mil of the mini MLE which means we still have about $1.7 mil remaining in the rest of the mini MLE. Whos next, Delfino :man13: :man13: :man13:

I think we're done making moves.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:57 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
The Rock wrote:Apparently we signed him for like $1.4 mil of the mini MLE which means we still have about $1.7 mil remaining in the rest of the mini MLE. Whos next, Delfino :man13: :man13: :man13:

I think we're done making moves.

Listen to him Rock, he's the guy that called the Nash trade and knew for a fact that D12 was going to be traded here!!!!!!
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Kit on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Is he KeepBynum?
Kit

Postby karacha on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:28 pm

I think Mitch is looking at one more piece of a puzzle.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion