Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Welcome To The Lakers Jodie Meeks (Page 12, 2 years $3 mil)

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:43 am

Punk-101 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:It's one preseason game, so I'm not upset about it. What I'm worried about is Meeks' mentality because he has BEEN practicing with those guys. Not to mention we've all heard Brown talk about Hill's "natural backup 4" position which pushes Jamison up.

I'm worried that Meeks becomes upset here and doesn't get his chance because he's a solid young player and what he showed me on the court yesterday was good defense and a solid stroke. I want to see him backing up Kobe Bryant, not Ebanks.

Hill didn't play one minute at center last night which is troubling. His new found offense has given Brown a Boner. Hill at pf screws everything up, pushing Jamison to sf and Ebanks to sg. Play Hill at center and everyone else slides down to where they need to be. Hill's jumpshot may be a curse. (if those crap lineups were more than preseason tinkering)

Yeah I agree. I'm willing to give a pass for this game and for the preseason, but when the time comes to play games I expect to see Meeks in there at the 2 and while you can run Hill some at the 4, I expect him to play a 4/5 position, not a 4 position. I can understand the idea of playing him more, but if you really must do that, then just play Ebanks less. Meeks is the right person for the 2nd spot.

The wierd thing is that there's a commercial for TWC that shows an early depth chart and it clearly shows Meeks behind Kobe. The end of the rotation gets muddled with Jamison/Hill, but Meeks is the backup 2 and Ebanks the 3. I'm not going to get riled up over this, but I definitely am concerned.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:53 am

Concern already spreads after game 1 of the exhibition "season". Wow. At this pace, surely Meeks will demand a trade in a couple of
weeks.
lotus

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:12 am

lotus wrote:Concern already spreads after game 1 of the exhibition "season". Wow. At this pace, surely Meeks will demand a trade in a couple of weeks.

:man3: Okay.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:18 am

I wouldn't overeact or even being concered at this point concerning Meeks. He'll backup Kobe. Brown is an idiot, though. However, I think even at the point their battling for minutes, Meeks is the better player and will win out. Should it come to that? No. We brought Meeks into to help our depleted bench and give Kobe some rest. But when you have Brown as a head coach, sometimes those things take a while to figure out. Remember, he's a stats guy...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:24 am

Thing is Meeks has been practicing with the third unit from Day 1 of the training camp , didn't see the floor during the 1st half.... Brown doesn't seem to be a fan of him ..

We all know Brown troubles to see obvious things on the floor and to adjust ... He has pre-establised rotations in his mind and keep runnning with it regardless of the result on the basketball court

This season bench will be as bad as last season one if Ebanks and Jamison play out of positions ...

And yes even after a meaningless preseason game , I'm already worried about the 2nd unit
wcsoldier81

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:31 am

^I'm going to take the wait & see approach. If this continues during the season, then we have a problem. Right now, first game of the pre-season, this doesn't have me concerned at all. I'll say this though, I think if I'm not mistaken Meeks has a option for his 2nd year; Well, if things don't play out, ex. getting enough minutes behind Kobe, he will leave, and I don't blame him if that is the case.

However, that is all speculation. We'll see...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:38 am

I like the idea of Hill and Jamison having the versatility to occasionally play the 4/5 and 3/4 respectively as long as the cut in minutes comes from Ebanks, NOT Meeks.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:40 am

I forgot Mike "terrible rotations" Brown was our coach until last night when Meeks was used as a 3rd string SG...

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby lakerproduct on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:43 am

I wouldn't overreact either. Meeks is a tough competitive kid, there's no way that he won't earn minutes.
BlackMamba Strikes!
lakerproduct

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:49 am

why does he have to compete with Ebanks for backup 2 mins??!

the dude took way less money to play for us and was one of the most underrated pickups this offseason. Ebanks is the backup 3 and Jaminson the 4. the 4 was getting so many open looks which is what Jaminson needs while Meeks plays the 2. seriously hope mike brown doesn't mess things up.

Blake
Meeks
Ebanks
Jaminson
Hill

it's simple. he shouldn't mess with that. also I think the whole hill playing 4 and not the 5 once was bc Dwight was out. Brown was just swapping in and out Sacre and the other guy and kept Hill at the 4. stupid but understandable so he can see what the new rookie centers can do. I think the Meeks was brought here to backup Kobe and is too good to just be 3rd string. Ebanks is a 3 not 2 and Jaminson a 4 who can play the 3 SOMETIMES not permanently. as we saw his numbers weren't all that great at that position.

Mike Brown is seriously the only thing that can screw up this amazing roster. and he will if he plays guys out of position. Hill won't be rebounding like he was if he's not the backup center. I like Sacre but that screws up everything. Hope Dwight coming back pushes everyone back to the right position they were brough here for
Last edited by Ariza3 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ariza3

Postby Weezy on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:52 am

Here's why I'm already concerned with Brown's rotations and about Meeks minutes and not shrugging it off as 'preseason'. We started last season with me scratching my head about his rotations, we encountered even stranger, no rhyme or reason changes mid-season like Glock and Ebanks playing a lot to not at all to McRoberts never getting a chance to show if he could help us or not, and we ended last season cursing his rotations in the playoffs, things like Steve Blake playing backup SG. It's not just an experiment for preseason, it's what the man does, I don't understand it, and if it were up to me he would have never been hired.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:53 am

Barnes also didn't crack the rotation through the opening stretch of last season... Brown did finally get it right.

Hopefully, he's just trying to find out which players he can cut first then integrate the guys who deserve the mins?

Howard.Hill.Sacre
Pau.Jamison
Artest.Ebanks.CDR
Kobe.Meeks.DJO
Nash.Blake.Duhon

that's the roster I'd run with... glock looks still looks a little lost out there. Morris is a good player but I think the NBA talent is too much for him. At least DJO has great defensive instincts, can attack the basket, and is athletic.

Hill should be getting all the back up C mins, and some at PF. Jamison should get hte majority of the backup PF mins and some scrap mins at sf. Ebanks should get whatever is left after Artest/Jamison and Meeks should get ALL the backup SG mins. It's not so complicated.
Center Court

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:56 am

^I think Mike Brown has a tendency to over analyze. Meeks is going to get minutes. He's a decent defender with an ability to space the floor with this three-point shooting. I really think Mike is doing a lot of mixing and matching to see what works and doesn't.

We have 7 more preseason games, so hopefully he has an idea by then as to what rotation he can using by then...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:02 am

hope he's just seeing other guys and knows Meeks is getting mins at backup SG so he's not gunna worry about him and instead play other guys to get an idea. lets hope. I'd be very concerned if Meeks doesn't get backup 2 and Ebanks does instead. he's a good backup behind MWP and that's it.

Nash/Blake/?
Kobe/Meeks/DJO
MWP/Ebanks
Pau/Jaminson
Dwight/Hill/Sacre

that should be it as others can move over in scrap mins only not for the set rotation.
Ariza3

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:13 am

5. Jodie Meeks didn't play much. Don't read too much into the Warriors coming back in the third quarter and scoring 28 unanswered points. Consider the entire Lakers' starting lineup (except Sacre) didn't play at all in the second half and that some of the reserves won't even make the final roster. But it's fair to wonder how the backup shooting guard spot will turn out. Many presumed Meeks would have it because of his strong three-point shooting, a quality the Lakers severely lacked last season. But Brown insisted he's also looking at Devin Ebanks and Andrew Goudelock. Brown used the first preseason game playing mostly Ebanks at that spot, while Meeks didn't enter the game until the second half.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 4673.story
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby last stand on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:20 am

I'm not a bash mike brown guy, but his lineup of

Center
Hill
Jaimison
Ebanks
Blake

Was so incredibly ignorant and stupid that I wanted to throw my computer.

Should be

Hill(who is at his best in the paint under the basket)
Jaimison(who would have had 30 points if he was getting all of those hill shots)
Ebanks or CDR(whichever wins the job)
Meeks(ebanks put here at SG, when he can neither shoot nor dribble, or create)
Blake( stuck with him)

Brown looked like an idiot last night. I hope the assistants help iron out this ridiculous screw up by brown
Last edited by last stand on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:20 am

Who hired Mike Brown, again? Anyways, I would imagine that if he played Ebanks in that spot he will give Meeks that same opportunity probably in the next game or so; Not a big deal to me at least considering this is the first preseason game. He's just experimenting...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby borri on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:23 am

I've said it before and I'll continue to say it. The only things holding this team back is:

1. Mike Brown
2. Potential Injuries.
borri

Postby Weezy on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:23 am

Ebanks is not a backup SG, he's too tall, he's not quick enough to guard 2's, and he can't create his own offense.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:27 am

^That's all very true about Ebanks and that is why Meeks is going to be the primary back up 2 because he can do all of those things. Brown should recognize that and allow Ebanks the opportunity to play the back 3 behind Ron.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:29 am

It's Jamison people, not Jaminson or Jaimison, Jamison.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:31 am

Kobe/Meeks/DJO-Glock

MWP/Ebanks

Not that hard to match players with their most efficient position and I'm not an nba coach. hope he's just experimenting but in the back up his head knows that the above is the right rotation
Ariza3

Postby last stand on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:32 am

Doc Brown wrote:It's Jamison people, not Jaminson or Jaimison, Jamison.

I think you'll survive :man10: but thanks anyways

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby kenzo on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:34 am

borri wrote:I've said it before and I'll continue to say it. The only things holding this team back is:

1. Mike Brown
2. Potential Injuries.

3. Backup PG's :freak2:

Doc Brown wrote:Blake / Ebanks / Jamison / Hill / Pau.....nightmare and you're running Pau into the ground at the backup 5

Im afraid Doc, You just discovered Mike's master plan :mad1: Dude looks like a moron, more and more with each day.
kenzo

Postby last stand on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:41 am

Weezy wrote:Ebanks is not a backup SG, he's too tall, he's not quick enough to guard 2's, and he can't create his own offense.

You'd think an NBA coach would be able to recognize this

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde