Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: bench warmer.

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:44 pm

therealdeal wrote:How is no one in here talking about that dunk??

:man4:

Didn't know he had that kind of bounce in him!

Saw that in the highlights. Very nice... What I like about him is that he doesn't take a play off. He, Hill and Clark all have that in them. During the summer Meeks spoke of he worked on his off the dribble game. Looks like he needs more. His J though is quick. Not Ray Allen lightning quick but faster than most I've seen.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:45 pm

indeed, that was shannon-esque
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Tragic on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:46 pm

it was a nice dunk. Nicer pass by Kobe though
Tragic

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:46 pm

Shannon-esque is pushing it :man10:

But boy that was impressive. karacha's right. The guy is definitely athletic. He's one of the faster players I've seen on the break. Usually that leads to trouble, but hey at least he's got the effort.

And yes, he's got that young person's motor. He can work and work and work and that's what I want from our bench.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:13 pm

therealdeal wrote:Shannon-esque is pushing it :man10:

But boy that was impressive. karacha's right. The guy is definitely athletic. He's one of the faster players I've seen on the break. Usually that leads to trouble, but hey at least he's got the effort.

And yes, he's got that young person's motor. He can work and work and work and that's what I want from our bench.

well the bounce at least :man10:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: contributing (again).

Postby XXIV on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:30 pm

Instead of blowing layups he should just dunk it every time. :man1:
XXIV

Postby charvin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:40 pm

He just needs to improve on finishing. After watching last night's game, I can see where the gripes people have over him converting layups during his fast breaks.
charvin

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:35 pm

Metta Jr.... bricking wide open shots and pretty much ignores all aspect of clock management but can't put that him, offense probably calls for it.
khmrP

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:39 pm

I would say he needs to stop chucking before the whole team can even get down the floor in a close game, but then 'Antoni probably instructed him to do it so I can't blame him.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:43 pm

Now I know why D'Antoni benched him for Morris. Just shoot the 3s created from ball movement dont just jack it up

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Finwë on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:49 pm

The problem is that many of the ones he makes are the same shots he later misses. There doesn't seem to be a type of shot or a type of set up for a shot that makes him more consistent. He's just a streaky, streaky shooter. This very game he made a couple of 3s that looked extremely easy and automatic, and then he went on to miss 3-4 consecutive ones that were very similar shots, some VERY wide open. It's like playing the roulette.. He gets it behind the line, he's wide open, and I'm like "I hope he makes it", but the truth is the result is extremely unpredictable IMO.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:35 am

How many wide open threes has this so called shooter missed this season ?

Ashton Kutcher would average 55% from 3 on this team with the type of looks Meeks is getting
wcsoldier81

Postby Armani on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:39 am

He's better than Morris, but that's not saying much. I want 08 Machine back. :man10:
Armani

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:47 am

I was a huge meeks supporter but he is really getting on my nerves with the amount of WIDE OPEN THREES he has missed this year. How can a shooter like Meeks miss THAT many wide open threes? He should easily be shooting at a 42% clip from down town with the amount of open looks he gets. He really needs to make teams pay for doubling off nash/kobe/gasol/howard.

Meeks, start hitting WIDE OPEN SHOTS DAMNIT!!!!!!
FabFourLakers

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:06 am

He's hitting 36.4% from deep. His career average is 37% and last season he hit 36.5%

What are you guys missing here? :man10: This is exactly who we thought we'd got. The only problem is that he takes a lot of shots.

But even so last season: 1.5/4.0 from three.
This season: 1.6/4.3 from three.

He's shooting a lot, but that's the offense we have. I'm sorry some of you guys are so disappointed in his shooting... This is EXACTLY what was advertised though. This is why we got him for cheap.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:09 am

The disappointment comes from expecting that an open shot will be made at a higher percentage than he currently makes. There lies the problem, it's always sort of a crapshoot for the 3 ball, even if you're open, it's not guaranteed to go in way more than a regular contested 3 ball. You maybe get a little more pressure that it has to go in because you're wide open.
charvin

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:14 am

Even the very best 3 point shooters hit them at what? Somewhat less than 50%? That means less than half the time they shoot it they'll make it. He's right around there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:19 am

therealdeal wrote:Even the very best 3 point shooters hit them at what? Somewhat less than 50%? That means less than half the time they shoot it they'll make it. He's right around there.

dont mind him jacking it up cause thats what his role calls for but I do have a problem jacking it up with like 20+secs on the clock, thats why I compare him to Metta right now.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:31 am

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Even the very best 3 point shooters hit them at what? Somewhat less than 50%? That means less than half the time they shoot it they'll make it. He's right around there.

dont mind him jacking it up cause thats what his role calls for but I do have a problem jacking it up with like 20+secs on the clock, thats why I compare him to Metta right now.

I agree with that. Sometimes we revert back to D'Antoni's philosophies and one of those is jacking up open shots just because you're open. Kobe does it, Jodie does it, and Metta does it. The other guys do too, but they're the worst offenders.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:32 pm

his shot selection has overall been good. hes taken 3's that he can/should make some just dont fall. theres some with a lot still on the clock but thats his game if there wide open.
Ariza3

Postby Finwë on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:51 pm

therealdeal wrote:He's hitting 36.4% from deep. His career average is 37% and last season he hit 36.5%

What are you guys missing here? :man10: This is exactly who we thought we'd got. The only problem is that he takes a lot of shots.

He's shooting a lot, but that's the offense we have. I'm sorry some of you guys are so disappointed in his shooting... This is EXACTLY what was advertised though. This is why we got him for cheap.

My biggest problem with Meeks this season has been momentum 3s. He hasn't been able to hit seemingly any "big" or momentum changing or important 3s. Doesn't seem to be a clutch shooter IMO, and that's problematic
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:21 am

He hit the 5 big points off the bench to give us the edge against OKC.

He hasn't hit any game winners I suppose, but that hasn't really been asked of him either. Down the stretch we've got the veteran/clutch guys. I think he can come in to start the fourth and hit a couple shots, he's shown that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:51 am

therealdeal wrote:He hit the 5 big points off the bench to give us the edge against OKC.

He hasn't hit any game winners I suppose, but that hasn't really been asked of him either. Down the stretch we've got the veteran/clutch guys. I think he can come in to start the fourth and hit a couple shots, he's shown that.

Yeah, against OKC he did hit a couple of big shots. I'm not even talking 'last 5 minutes' shots, I'm talking momentum shots, momentum 3s. A bunch of other posters mentioned the same, how our shooter will give us a couple of 3s but not really "big" ones in terms of the context of the game.
Finwë

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:36 am

therealdeal wrote:He's hitting 36.4% from deep. His career average is 37% and last season he hit 36.5%

So we shouldn't expect an increase in shooting efficiency from a player who used to play with Iggy , Holiday and Evan Turner and now is playing with Kobe Bryant , D12 and Steve Nash ?

You may miss something here too ...
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:56 am

Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:He hit the 5 big points off the bench to give us the edge against OKC.

Yeah, against OKC he did hit a couple of big shots. I'm not even talking 'last 5 minutes' shots, I'm talking momentum shots, momentum 3s. A bunch of other posters mentioned the same, how our shooter will give us a couple of 3s but not really "big" ones in terms of the context of the game.

I suppose so, but recently I've seen games where both he and Antawn will hit some big time threes in the 2nd quarter to increase the lead and then we end up giving it all back eventually...

I guess what I'm saying is that Jodie isn't incapable of hitting those shots, we just seem to lose momentum quickly and when wedo we don't get a whole lot of changing back. He can ride momentum, but I don't know that he can change momentum. But that's kind of what you expect from a 7-8th man.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion