Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Jamison

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:57 pm

JUST-MING wrote:
therealdeal wrote:My point is that he needs to be assisted not that he's a starter. He's our 6th man for sure for our bigs. meeks could be our sixth man of sorts for our guards.

Who is going to “assist” Jamison off the bench? Bynum doesn’t pass. Goudelock doesn’t pass. Hill doesn’t pass. Blake doesn’t make plays. He’d be much more effective feeding off of Nash and Bryant [and Gasol].

Like another poster has pointed out to you, we aren't going to run an entire bench unit on the floor ever. We'll have a rotation set that keeps a starter in basically at all times.

When Nash comes out, Kobe or Gasol or Bynum stays in. The same can be said for any one of those guys. We will almost never run a full bench unit.

Jamison will score the majority of his points likely alongside Bynum and Nash.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Second Unit

Postby JUST-MING on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:06 pm

therealdeal wrote:Like another poster has pointed out to you, we aren't going to run an entire bench unit on the floor ever. We'll have a rotation set that keeps a starter in basically at all times.

http://www.clublakers.com/post3688216.html#p3688216

Are you referring to those comments?

Last year they emptied the bench for 4-6 minute stretches at the start of the second and fourth quarter and at the end of the third. I don’t know of any other team that uses their “second unit” more than the Mike Brown Lakers. He played them for a third of every quarter. A bench which rated 28th of 30 teams.
JUST-MING

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:23 pm

^^^
Here you go, find me where all 5 bench guys played significant minutes for us at the same time. Since they played 4-6 minute stretches at the start of the second and fourth quarters and at the end of the third every game, it should be at the top and easy to find.....

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/lineup_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=single&output=total&year_min=2012&year_max=2012&is_playoffs=N&team_id=LAL&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&c1stat=&c1comp=ge&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=ge&c4val=&order_by=diff_pts
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Re: Rotations

Postby JUST-MING on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Here you go, find me where all 5 bench guys played significant minutes for us at the same time.

http://popcornmachine.net/?team=LAL

Click “Game Flow”. I could break it down game-by-game if you’d like, and identify “garbage time”.
JUST-MING

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:34 pm

Meeks would be able to do his thing with the bench. it would be a 1-2 punch off our bench with Jaminson & Meeks. A big guy and a little to come in and create instant offense. Both can shoot, so if theyre both in i think good things will happen regardless of what the numbers will say.

everyone think jaminson is the go to guy off the bench and right now he is, but i still think we need one more guy to come in and score next to him. id rather have a set starter and bench unit than mixing and matching and giving nash/kobe extended mins which hurt come playoffs. more of a traditional rotation would benefit nash/kobe age.

meeks would be a huge boost along side jaminson for our bench. if ebanks improves a little, i really think those 3 could be a huge help to our bench together and thus help our starting unit get some rest
Ariza3

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:44 pm

JUST-MING wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Here you go, find me where all 5 bench guys played significant minutes for us at the same time.

Click “Game Flow”. I could break it down game-by-game if you’d like, and identify “garbage time”.

No thanks, I've seen for myself how many minutes ALL 5 BENCH players in at one time played during the season. No need to derail the thread for something I've already seen at the site I provided.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Finwë on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:07 pm

Jamison should be our 6th man. With Nash, our offense isn't gonna be the problem. It's about D. And MWP is worlds better than Antawn (this is an answer to JUST MING who suggested Jamison be our starting SF instead of MWP -which is already bold since most of us doubt Jamison will be playing much at the 3).
Jamison should come off the bench and provide a spark, which is something we've lacked so far. He can stretch the floor for whatever starting big is on the floor (Bynum and Pau won't be sitting at the same time) and be the 2nd or 3rd option with that unit.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:26 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

No thanks, I've seen for myself how many minutes ALL 5 BENCH players in at one time played during the season. No need to derail the thread for something I've already seen at the site I provided.

I want to see when we had all left handed non-american guys on the floor at once.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Re: Jamison

Postby purp n gold on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:31 pm

KeepBynum wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:Antawn Jamison is our go to scorer off the bench.

I’d play him with the starters. They need his floor spacing more than the second unit.

That's not gonna happen. World Peace will be the starting SF.

Yes. Not only do we need Artest's defense in this lineup, we need Jamison's scoring off the bench.

Just-Ming, stop acting as if NBA substitutions go out in droves. Never do coaches swap 5 for 5's, and they rarely go 10 deep on normal subs/rotations. Surely you're aware of this.

The point is that, as a 6th man, Jamison will be the first guy off the bench & he will get some run with the starters. He will play in stretches with Steve Nash without starting. And when the likes of Nash and Kobe are subbed out, by then Jamison will be playing AGAINST the opposition's 2nd units. He's still good enough to create his own shot against 2nd unit scrubs, especially stiffs at the 4 position.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby JUST-MING on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:43 pm

purp n gold wrote:Just-Ming, stop acting as if NBA substitutions go out in droves. Never do coaches swap 5 for 5's, and they rarely go 10 deep on normal subs/rotations. Surely you're aware of this.

I’m aware of how “normal” substitution patterns ‘go’, last year the team didn’t have a “sixth man”, but rather a “second unit”. That second unit was comprised of garbage: Blake/Morris • Kapono/Goudelock • Barnes/Walton • McRoberts/Murphy. Each played significant minutes together and they sucked out loud.

I know the agenda. You guys desperately want Bynum to be “THE MAN” with that “second unit”, and you think Jamison can be his “stretch PF”. I get it but I don’t care. I watched Bynum as “The Man” last year, but I also witnessed those scoreless “3-4 minute” stretches. I care about the scoreboard more than that.
JUST-MING

Postby purp n gold on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:15 pm

JUST-MING wrote:
purp n gold wrote:Just-Ming, stop acting as if NBA substitutions go out in droves. Never do coaches swap 5 for 5's, and they rarely go 10 deep on normal subs/rotations. Surely you're aware of this.

I’m aware of how “normal” substitution patterns ‘go’, last year the team didn’t have a “sixth man”, but rather a “second unit”. That second unit was comprised of garbage: Blake/Morris • Kapono/Goudelock • Barnes/Walton • McRoberts/Murphy.

I don't even know what you're pointing out here. Yes, those guys suck. Some of them are still on our bench.

Each played significant minutes together and they sucked out loud.

They played significant time together because Mike Brown's rotations plain sucked. In general, our roster wasn't very good. He was scrambling to find different ways to pile up garbage, but it was still garbage.

Now that we have a legit scorer (Jamison) and a legit big-man rebounder/defender (Hill) he has no excuse to F around with the front court rotations. Those are good two players who will log significant minutes. And if we sign a legit backup 1-2, backcourt will be organized as well. Paired with a competant ball handler, Goudelock and Ebanks will do just fine in the 2nd unit.

I know the agenda. You guys desperately want Bynum to be “THE MAN” with that “second unit”, and you think Jamison can be his “stretch PF”. I get it but I don’t care. I watched Bynum as “The Man” last year, but I also witnessed those scoreless “3-4 minute” stretches. I care about the scoreboard more than that.

No, you don't know "the agenda". You can dig up my posts. I've wanted to trade Bynum for Kidd, Bosh and even Jermaine O'neal when he was a Pacer. Obviously, I'm glad I've been wrong about Drew... bc his trade value can now score us a player an elite player in his prime (Dwight Howard)... Unlike Kidd/JO'N (past their primes) and Bosh (not elite).

:man3: Just because I quoted KeepBynum, it does not mean I want to keep Bynum on this team.
purp n gold

Postby JUST-MING on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:30 pm

purp n gold wrote:No, you don't know "the agenda".

I’ve also wanted Artest on the Lakers probably more than any member on this board. I was the second poster in the old Artest thread back in 2005, also suggested they send Odom to Indiana for Artest. I’m happy he’s on the team. I’ve even adamantly opposed the idea of using the amnesty on Artest, opting rather to use it on Gasol. Artest could be the “sixth man” like Odom. I don’t understand why the idea somehow has got everyone’s panties in a bunch. (Other than “The Man” agenda.)

Even during his “prime”, Artest has been susceptible to being “beat off the dribble”. That’s how elite players lit him up in the past. They’d blow by him. He can’t guard point guards or quick wing players. However, Artest used to be able to compensate and wear down his man when Phil would “invert” the offense. Mike Brown doesn’t. He has everyone other than his center shoot 3 pointers. Artest has been effective on the block without Bynum or Gasol in the paint, and clearly displayed that early last year, against Sacramento, when he was allowed to score in the paint with the “second unit”.

JUST-MING

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:49 pm

This is the Jodie Meeks thread and it has been thoroughly derailed. Back to the topic.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:53 pm

Honestly, Jodie Meeks would probably fit better with the starters...sucks that he's not able to play the 3 spot though...that second unit will have Bynum, Jamison, Ebanks, Meeks and Blake? I'd like to see Meeks out there with Nash....its looking like he'll sign with us...as his other 2 options are the Bucks and Wizards....lets see what Meeks values more....winning or staying irrelevant.
FabFourLakers

Postby Balance&Options24 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:57 pm

“I’ve gotten interest from the Lakers, Bucks and Wizards,” Meeks told HOOPSWORLD. “There are five or six teams, but those three are at the forefront right now because I’ve been talking to them the most. I really like those teams and I like what they bring to the table. I’m looking forward to signing, whenever that may be.” HoopsWorld

“I feel like I still have a lot to develop,” Meeks said. “I’m still young, only 24 years old, and I have a lot of things to show in my career. I’m looking forward to, whatever team I go to, showing what I can do and trying to win as much as possible.” HoopsWorld

Free Agency, Jodie Meeks | share

If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby purp n gold on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:02 pm

Back on topic: I'd rather have a ballhandler than Meeks... and I don't mean Morris.
Last edited by purp n gold on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purp n gold

Re: Jodie Meeks

Postby JUST-MING on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:04 pm

Alex Kennedy wrote:“I feel like I still have a lot to develop,” Meeks said.

“I’m still young, only 24 years old, and I have a lot of things to show in my career. I’m looking forward to showing what I can do and trying to win as much as possible.”

He’d be the first guard off the bench. He’d be given 20+ minutes a game. After Nash and Bryant, there is absolutely no competition at the guard spot.
JUST-MING

Re: Jodie Meeks

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:35 am

JUST-MING wrote:
Alex Kennedy wrote:“I feel like I still have a lot to develop,” Meeks said.

“I’m still young, only 24 years old, and I have a lot of things to show in my career. I’m looking forward to showing what I can do and trying to win as much as possible.”

He’d be the first guard off the bench. He’d be given 20+ minutes a game. After Nash and Bryant, there is absolutely no competition at the guard spot.

I really hope so....don't wanna see Blake play 25mpg next season again.... :bang:
FabFourLakers

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:14 am

We shouldn't need a guy like Meeks as bad as we do but that's reality.. Blake, Goudelock, Morris, DJO has to be the worst backcourt bench in the league.. The minimum for Meeks is lower than vets like Jamison, around 800k I think as apposed to 1.4.. We should offer him 1.4 out of the mini mle.. He's worth the maxed out vet min,,
lakersin4

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:43 am

he's an nba player version of goudelock, which this team could use. i'm guessing lakers are offering the minimum, and the others are offering slightly more. he'd probably be somewhat squeezed for minutes anywhere given his limitations, so it would seem the lakers have a decent shot.

i'd prefer brandon rush if it was the same price, but i'd certainly take meeks.
abeer3

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:58 am

^Rush is resigning with the Warriors. Meeks is pretty much the only player available in the Lakers price range. Unless they wanna take a chance on Jonny Flynn.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Phil XI on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:33 am

Balance&Options24 wrote:

“I’ve gotten interest from the Lakers, Bucks and Wizards,” Meeks told HOOPSWORLD. “There are five or six teams, but those three are at the forefront right now because I’ve been talking to them the most. I really like those teams and I like what they bring to the table. I’m looking forward to signing, whenever that may be.” HoopsWorld

“I feel like I still have a lot to develop,” Meeks said. “I’m still young, only 24 years old, and I have a lot of things to show in my career. I’m looking forward to, whatever team I go to, showing what I can do and trying to win as much as possible.” HoopsWorld

Translation: I care more about playing time than being on a winner right now because I need to show my stuff this year and to get paid with that fat MLE deal. I can ring chase later. Wiz here I come.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:39 am

Phil XI wrote:Translation: I care more about playing time than being on a winner right now because I need to show my stuff this year and to get paid with that fat MLE deal. I can ring chase later. Wiz here I come.

whats wrong with that?
khmrP

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:03 am

Phil XI wrote:
Balance&Options24 wrote:

Translation: I care more about playing time than being on a winner right now because I need to show my stuff this year and to get paid with that fat MLE deal. I can ring chase later. Wiz here I come.

:man3:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Whatthef? on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:41 am

If Meeks proves he can play he can increase his minutes by allowing Kobe to play some minutes at small forward where the Lakers have a need. As Kobe gets older he is headed toward the small forward position anyway.
Whatthef?

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion