Jodie Meeks Discussion: career high 42 for OKC (81)

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby khmrP on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:40 am

Doc Brown wrote:Apparently we have a 1.4 million dollar TPE from Luke Walton....

I think we should use that in a sign and trade, so that we can sign Meeks to a little bit more than the vet. min. And we can get him on a 3 year contract, just like the Willie Green trade, 2 and 3 years not guaranteed. If he works out, we have a guy on the cheap for the next 2 years. If not, he's gone after this season.

3 years / 4.5 million......good deal for us IMO.

good plan, did not know we still had a tpe :jam2:
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:41 am

khmrP wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Apparently we have a 1.4 million dollar TPE from Luke Walton....

I think we should use that in a sign and trade, so that we can sign Meeks to a little bit more than the vet. min. And we can get him on a 3 year contract, just like the Willie Green trade, 2 and 3 years not guaranteed. If he works out, we have a guy on the cheap for the next 2 years. If not, he's gone after this season.

3 years / 4.5 million......good deal for us IMO.

good plan, did not know we still had a tpe :jam2:

Neither did I. :man10:

Then I looked at this site.....http://www.hoopsworld.com/los-angeles-lakers-team-salary

Saw that we did and it actually makes a ton of sense.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby revgen on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:06 am

IIRC we don't have anything to give Philly in a S&T. Our picks and cash went to Phoenix.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby purp n gold on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:10 am

If it's coming down to CJ Miles vs. Meeks I'd rather have Meeks. Miles seems like he's average on every part of his game (which would still help us), but Meeks looks like a legitimate shooting threat. It's harder to come by a "pure shooter" combined with his size/athleticism.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby khmrP on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:20 am

revgen wrote:IIRC we don't have anything to give Philly in a S&T. Our picks and cash went to Phoenix.

give em glock :man1:
khmrP

Postby revgen on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:23 am

khmrP wrote:
revgen wrote:IIRC we don't have anything to give Philly in a S&T. Our picks and cash went to Phoenix.

give em glock :man1:

I don't think Philly is interested in Glock.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:55 pm

genius plan to use luke walton TPE....didnt even think we had that! first he got us sesh and now possibly meeks? hes done more for the team than when he was actually on it LOL

the TPE expires this season (3/15/13). so i assume we'll use it now? were already at $95 mil so whats $96mil?makes sense to me. do it mitch! :jam2:
Ariza3

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:13 pm

It would go down like the Willie Green deal did...

ATLANTA (AP) -- The Atlanta Hawks have traded shooting guard Willie Green to the Los Angeles Clippers in exchange for the rights to forward Sofoklis Schortsanitis, a 2003 draft pick from Cameroon who has not played in the league.
The deal Monday creates a trade exemption for the Hawks, who have built depth at guard through a series of moves.

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus
I can't quite tell if LAC used the Aminu or Evans TPE yet. Green fits in Evans but then Aminu's expires sooner http://bit.ly/NEp2Ba
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

Philly gets a TPE / Elonu (the rights to him because he is unsigned).
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby revgen on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:23 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

ATLANTA (AP) -- The Atlanta Hawks have traded shooting guard Willie Green to the Los Angeles Clippers in exchange for the rights to forward Sofoklis Schortsanitis, a 2003 draft pick from Cameroon who has not played in the league.
The deal Monday creates a trade exemption for the Hawks, who have built depth at guard through a series of moves.

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus
I can't quite tell if LAC used the Aminu or Evans TPE yet. Green fits in Evans but then Aminu's expires sooner http://bit.ly/NEp2Ba
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

Interesting, but I'm not sure why they'd want Elonu.

Schortsanitis is a better player than him.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:27 pm

I can't find that TPE anywhere. Is there a link?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:28 pm

revgen wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

They wouldn't. They do it for the trade exception and because Meeks is leaving anyway.
Helljumper

Postby khmrP on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:32 pm

revgen wrote:Interesting, but I'm not sure why they'd want Elonu.

dont think Atl was ever intersted in Schor anyways, he was drafted since 05 or something.
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:40 pm

revgen wrote:Interesting, but I'm not sure why they'd want Elonu.

Sofoklis Schortsanitis just signed a 3 year contract with a club overseas, he will likely never sniff the NBA. LAC had to trade something in the deal....

John Hollinger: No chance Sofo plays for Hawks but Clippers by rule had to trade something back to Hawks; it was either him or a top-55 protected 2nd

That dude was just a throw in like Elong/Majok/Lishouk, would be. This can be done, if Philly wants a TPE and I don't see why they wouldn't, it's at least something for a player that is leaving.
Doc Brown

Postby kobe2413 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:47 pm

revgen wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

Schortsanitis signed a 3 year contract with Panathinaikos and he is going to play here....I don't think he has the natural fitness anymore to play in the nba...He is too fat...
KOBE BRYANT = G.O.A.T.

http://youtu.be/dtWbTZbfkI8 : fans of the greatest basketball team in europe: Panathinaikos
kobe2413

Postby thkthebest on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:45 pm

khmrP wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:
khmrP wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:I know it probably won't happen, but we should use the mini MLE on Meeks.

he's not worth the money, there are still options out there that better than him even for MLE, Barbosa, Delfino, Rudy, just to name a few.

Two of those guys have been signed already.

who signed?

edit: checked nba FA tracker, Rudy has returned to Spain but Barbosa/Defino has not signed yet

I think I'd take Meeks over both those guys.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:32 pm

Lakers Now
ROUND-THE-CLOCK COVERAGE OF THE LOS ANGELES LAKERS
Jodie Meeks' agent says guard won't take veteran's minimum

Comments
Email

By Mark Medina
August 6, 2012, 3:13 p.m.
How will the Lakers fill out the rest of their bench?

It's possible the answer lies with Devin Ebanks, Jodie Meeks or both.

Whoever it is, the Lakers hope they can find a backcourt player who could reduce Kobe Bryant's minutes and provide needed outside shooting. Philadelphia 76ers shooting guard Meeks could fill that description since the 25-year-old shot in the high 30% range in the past two seasons. Meeks' agent, David Bauman, said Meeks is on the Lakers' radar and that of "four or five" other unspecified teams. But Bauman said Meeks' interest with the Lakers could hinge on a significant variable.

"We're happy to talk, but we're not talking minimum for a guy like Jodie," Bauman told The Times in a phone interview on Monday. "He'll get more than the minimum wherever he signs."

The Lakers have a mini mid-level exception worth $3 million, but General Manager Mitch Kupchak said on July 25 that it's unlikely they'll use it unless there's "credible value." The Lakers were hoping to add players only at the veteran's minimum worth $1.5 million, an option veteran forward Antawn Jamison chose despite making $15.1 million last season with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Interestingly enough, Meeks' future could have an indirect effect on one of Bauman's other clients,Ebanks. Bauman told The Times on July 10 that Ebanks would accept the Lakers' qualifying offer worth a one-year deal for a little over $1 million. But Bauman said Monday that Ebanks and the Lakers reached a mutual agreement not to sign for multiple reasons. Ebanks suffered a bone bruise in one his knees, which would keep him sidelined during Summer League. Bauman wanted to avoid Ebanks' possibly being thrown in as an extra player should the Lakers make a trade. Kupchak, meanwhile, told ESPN Los Angeles he wanted the extra roster space in case the Lakers took extra players in a trade.

"He's been playing in the gym and acting as if he's a Laker," Bauman said of Ebanks, who averaged four points on 41.6% shooting in 16.5 minutes per game. "I don't see any issues with that.... Devin's planning on being a key contributor to the Lakers."

The Lakers have 12 players under contract -- Bryant, Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace, Andrew Bynum, Steve Nash, Jamison, Jordan Hill, Steve Blake, Darius Morris, Josh McRoberts, Christian Eyenga and Andrew Goudelock. But the Lakers aren't obligated to keep Goudelock because they have a team option on him. The Lakers are also not expected to re-sign free agent Matt Barnes or Troy Murphy. Two weeks ago, Kupchak stayed noncommittal on keeping second-round draft pick sDarius Johnson-Odom and Robert Sacre.

All NBA teams can have up to a 15-man roster, although only 12 players can dress for a game.

I know this article doesn't make it seem like we are going to get Meeks, but my gut feeling is that Meeks really wants to come to the Lakers and he will eventually get like 2 million of the mini-MLE.
Doc Brown

Postby ThizGuy83 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:45 pm

that damn signing of darius morris should of never happened
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Just talked to a buddy of mine at a Cowboys forum who is also a Sixers fan. He said Meeks can shoot sometimes, but sucks at everything else.

We shouldn't give him more than the vets minimum. If he wants more tell him to take a hike.
Last edited by Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby revgen on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:47 pm

My theory. Mitch is trying to ship J-Mac out somehow for nothing in return. That way we can pay Meeks his mini-MLE (Buss family's budget of vet min for backup SG (1.4 million) and half of J-Mac's salary (1.5) is approximately the mini-MLE) and sign the other half of J-Mac's salary to pick up Kenyon as a vet min replacement. That way we acquire Meeks and Kenyon without adding to the payroll.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:54 pm

KeepBynum wrote:Just talked to a buddy of mine at a Cowboys forum who is also a Sixers fan. He said Meeks can shoot sometimes, but sucks at everything else.

We shouldn't give him more than the vets minimum. If he wants more tell him to take a hike.

Just talked to myself in the mirror and I told myself Blake can't do anything and sucks at everything else, so getting Meeks to play SG and some PG would be a major upgrade compared to what we potentially have right now.
Doc Brown

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:59 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:Just talked to a buddy of mine at a Cowboys forum who is also a Sixers fan. He said Meeks can shoot sometimes, but sucks at everything else.

Just talked to myself in the mirror and I told myself Blake can't do anything and sucks at everything else, so getting Meeks to play SG and some PG would be a major upgrade compared to what we potentially have right now.

He can't play PG.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:01 pm

KeepBynum wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

He can't play PG.

I know Blake can't.
Doc Brown

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:04 pm

Neither of them can.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:05 pm

That article cited the veteran's minimum as 1.5 million, but it's actually much lower for Jodie. For him it's at about 800,000 dollars. I don't blame him for asking for more.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Damian Necronamous on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:20 pm

A sign-and-trade doesn't make sense for anyone.

If we do a S&T, we need to send something back to Philadelphia to incentivize them to make the deal. They have cap room, so they have no need for a tiny $1.4M TPE. So what can we trade them? We don't really have any picks to deal, and I'm not sure we would send them any picks anyways. If Meeks is going to take $1.4M then we'd just offer him part of the mini MLE, rather than send back picks and get him for the same price tag.

So would we trade Philly cash? Again, what would be the point? Why pay him $1.4M and send Philly cash when we can just sign him for that amount ourselves?

A sign-and-trade isn't happening, folks.
Damian Necronamous

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion