Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby v1n5anity on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:21 pm

therealdeal wrote:That article cited the veteran's minimum as 1.5 million, but it's actually much lower for Jodie. For him it's at about 800,000 dollars. I don't blame him for asking for more.

Yeah, exactly. He's not considered a veteran yet so he would get the league minimum, not the veteran's minimum. So yeah, it's totally understandable that he'd ask for more. IMO if we can land him with the Walton TPE, that would be ideal. We'd still have the mini-MLE. We might not use it, but it'd be nice to have in our back pocket.
v1n5anity

Postby XXIV on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:41 pm

I wouldn't mind using half the mini-MLE on him, and perhaps the other half on another young player. Preferably a SF.
XXIV

Postby revgen on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Damian Necronamous wrote:A sign-and-trade doesn't make sense for anyone.

If we do a S&T, we need to send something back to Philadelphia to incentivize them to make the deal.

We can send them Elonu's draft rights. Philly will do it since it gives them a trade exception to use in case they need to use it.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:56 pm

How could you not want a TPE no matter how small it is and you have the cap room. The Clippers got Willie Green without even trying, the TPE put his deal in place and benefited both teams.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby ericdabbs on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:36 pm

How much is Jodie Meeks worth? I think its unfair for the Lakers to only offer the minimum for Meeks. I know mini MLE is about 3 mil but the lakers don't have to offer the full amount correct? If that is the case maybe offer Meeks 2.25 mil for 2 seasons to help backup kobe.
ericdabbs

Postby Alcindor on Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:16 pm

^ now think like an owner and realize 2.25 mil is really 4.5 mil this year and about 8 mil the next season in actual tax hit. How badly would you want a shooter with no other skills for that price tag?

I'm for getting Meeks because I don't care if Buss overspends but I can see his viewpoint on it.
Alcindor

Postby revgen on Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:41 pm

Alcindor wrote:^ now think like an owner and realize 2.25 mil is really 4.5 mil this year and about 8 mil the next season in actual tax hit. How badly would you want a shooter with no other skills for that price tag?

I'm for getting Meeks because I don't care if Buss overspends but I can see his viewpoint on it.

If we ship J-Mac out in order to pay Meeks more, than we're really not paying more.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby khmrP on Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:58 pm

Alcindor wrote:^ now think like an owner and realize 2.25 mil is really 4.5 mil this year and about 8 mil the next season in actual tax hit. How badly would you want a shooter with no other skills for that price tag?

thats not a very good way of looking at it cause if you use that view doesn't Hill equate to $8mill/per with tax and all? Hill is not worth $8mill either.
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:15 pm

Gery Woelfel@GeryWoelfel
Joel Przybilla has verbally agreed to sign with Bucks. Chose Bucks over Trail Blazers and Mavericks.

Not really Meeks news directly, but with this signing the Bucks are now at 14 guaranteed contracts on the season. They already have Monta/Jennings/Udrih/Lamb in the backcourt. Hopefully this puts them out of the running for Meeks.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:37 pm

Meeks would be dumb not to sign with the Lakers, and his agent is stupid if he thinks the Lakers will offer Jodie Meeks the full MMLE. I know he didn't say that, but Lakers are not using that MMLE on Jodie Meeks, or even part of it on him. We are waiting on Dwight. Minimum contracts are all we will dole out right now.
FabFourLakers

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:41 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:Meeks would be dumb not to sign with the Lakers, and his agent is stupid if he thinks the Lakers will offer Jodie Meeks the full MMLE. I know he didn't say that, but Lakers are not using that MMLE on Jodie Meeks, or even part of it on him. We are waiting on Dwight. Minimum contracts are all we will dole out right now.

True. But we could use part of the mini MLE AFTER the trade or no trade.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:27 pm

I don't think we sign anyone else until the Howard situation is finished. Look at te free agents we've signed. All bigs. Nothing that would be a position that could come back from Orlando. Not a SG or SF
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Jodie Meeks' Agent: Jodie Meeks Won't Take Veteran's Minimum

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:07 pm

Jodie Meeks' Agent: Jodie Meeks Won't Take Veteran's Minimum

By Mark Medina
August 6, 2012, 3:13 p.m.

How will the Lakers fill out the rest of their bench?

It's possible the answer lies with Devin Ebanks, Jodie Meeks or both.
Whoever it is, the Lakers hope they can find a backcourt player who could reduce Kobe Bryant's minutes and provide needed outside shooting. Philadelphia 76ers shooting guard Meeks could fill that description since the 25-year-old shot in the high 30% range in the past two seasons. Meeks' agent, David Bauman, said Meeks is on the Lakers' radar and that of "four or five" other unspecified teams. But Bauman said Meeks' interest with the Lakers could hinge on a significant variable.

"We're happy to talk, but we're not talking minimum for a guy like Jodie," Bauman told The Times in a phone interview on Monday. "He'll get more than the minimum wherever he signs."

The Lakers have a mini mid-level exception worth $3 million, but General Manager Mitch Kupchak said on July 25 that it's unlikely they'll use it unless there's "credible value." The Lakers were hoping to add players only at the veteran's minimum worth $1.5 million, an option veteran forward Antawn Jamison chose despite making $15.1 million last season with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Interestingly enough, Meeks' future could have an indirect effect on one of Bauman's other clients,Ebanks. Bauman told The Times on July 10 that Ebanks would accept the Lakers' qualifying offer worth a one-year deal for a little over $1 million. But Bauman said Monday that Ebanks and the Lakers reached a mutual agreement not to sign for multiple reasons. Ebanks suffered a bone bruise in one his knees, which would keep him sidelined during Summer League. Bauman wanted to avoid Ebanks' possibly being thrown in as an extra player should the Lakers make a trade. Kupchak, meanwhile, told ESPN Los Angeles he wanted the extra roster space in case the Lakers took extra players in a trade.

"He's been playing in the gym and acting as if he's a Laker," Bauman said of Ebanks, who averaged four points on 41.6% shooting in 16.5 minutes per game. "I don't see any issues with that.... Devin's planning on being a key contributor to the Lakers."

The Lakers have 12 players under contract -- Bryant, Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace, Andrew Bynum, Steve Nash, Jamison, Jordan Hill, Steve Blake, Darius Morris, Josh McRoberts, Christian Eyenga and Andrew Goudelock. But the Lakers aren't obligated to keep Goudelock because they have a team option on him. The Lakers are also not expected to re-sign free agent Matt Barnes or Troy Murphy. Two weeks ago, Kupchak stayed noncommittal on keeping second-round draft pick sDarius Johnson-Odom and Robert Sacre.

All NBA teams can have up to a 15-man roster, although only 12 players can dress for a game.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... vrit=53297

Time to call Leandro Barbosa or T-Mac, Mitch.
Kobe8Fan

Postby Alcindor on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:16 pm

revgen wrote:

If we ship J-Mac out in order to pay Meeks more, than we're really not paying more.

If they don't bring in anyone to replace J-Mac, like K-Mart, then that's true.

khmrP wrote:

thats not a very good way of looking at it cause if you use that view doesn't Hill equate to $8mill/per with tax and all? Hill is not worth $8mill either.

he's a hell of a lot closer to it in value than Meeks is so your point isn't a very good way of looking at it imo
Alcindor

Postby khmrP on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:22 pm

^^^why? if you looking at that way EVERYBODY on this team cost double.
khmrP

Postby Alcindor on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:27 pm

khmrP wrote:^^^why? if you looking at that way EVERYBODY on this team cost double.

If you are the owner once you get beyond the core players that aren't going anywhere (unless near-equal value is coming back) anyways, you are over the cap and you should look at any player who isn't absolutely critical as what they're real cost is. An owner looks at the bottomline in addition to competitiveness and weighs them, I mean really if you need that explained then I give up. You're arguing for the sake of it which I've seen you do before, I'll rather not waste my time.
Alcindor

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:29 pm

I'm not entirely sure that Hill is more valuable to the team than Meeks could be. We're pretty well set inside, but we have no legitimate backup for Kobe. If we signed Sacre or O'Neal, we'd be still pretty set inside. If we don't sign Meeks, we're in trouble.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 pm

Alcindor wrote:
revgen wrote:

The Buss family has already approved Mitch to spend vet min (1.4 million) on a backup SG. We ship out J-Mac (3.0), and take back the rights to a 2nd rounder who hasn't been signed, which will cost us nothing. So 3 million plus 1.4 is 4.4 million. Pay Meeks mini-MLE (3.0 mill) and pay Martin vet-min (1.4), and we haven't spent more than what Mitch was budgeted to spend.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby khmrP on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Alcindor wrote:
khmrP wrote:^^^why? if you looking at that way EVERYBODY on this team cost double.

If you are the owner once you get beyond the core players that aren't going anywhere (unless near-equal value is coming back) anyways, you are over the cap and you should look at any player who isn't absolutely critical as what they're real cost is. An owner looks at the bottomline in addition to competitiveness and weighs them, I mean really if you need that explained then I give up. You're arguing for the sake of it which I've seen you do before, I'll rather not waste my time.

ok Mitch, sorry guess we dont need a backup 2 we can just use the trio of 2nd rders on the cheap.
khmrP

Postby recoveringusername on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Gery Woelfel@GeryWoelfel
Joel Przybilla has verbally agreed to sign with Bucks. Chose Bucks over Trail Blazers and Mavericks.

Not really Meeks news directly, but with this signing the Bucks are now at 14 guaranteed contracts on the season. They already have Monta/Jennings/Udrih/Lamb in the backcourt. Hopefully this puts them out of the running for Meeks.

I think Meeks agent just used the Bucks name as leverage against the Lakers, so the Lakers would increase their offer. But Mitch stood pat, and now the agent is saying Meek wont sign for the minimum, just to try and make Mitch budge.

Its all mind games, and Mitch is good at it.
Formally known as Black Sheep.
recoveringusername

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:21 am

I hope he MEEKS the right decision & comes to L.A :man1:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Murdock on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:07 am

Damn CJ Miles' deal really screwed us up - now we have to go for Meeks and frankly I am not so hyped about him so far
Murdock

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:46 am

revgen wrote:
Alcindor wrote:
revgen wrote:

The Buss family has already approved Mitch to spend vet min (1.4 million) on a backup SG. We ship out J-Mac (3.0), and take back the rights to a 2nd rounder who hasn't been signed, which will cost us nothing. So 3 million plus 1.4 is 4.4 million. Pay Meeks mini-MLE (3.0 mill) and pay Martin vet-min (1.4), and we haven't spent more than what Mitch was budgeted to spend.

I said the same thing when these talks started.. We're willing to spend the 1.4M vet min.. Since Meeks isn't eligible for that, you offer 1.4 out of the mini MLE.. I wonder if a promise was made to Jamison that we weren't using it for tax reasons though.. He turned down 8M a season to come here.. I'm sure he wanted the mmle & Mitch had to sell him on us not using it
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:16 am

Two quick points:

1. The veteran's minimum applies to all players differently at varying prices. The veteran's minimum is not a 1.4 million dollar amount that is just set there. It changes. That is in fact the maximum amount a veteran can be paid and that happens when a player plays in 10 or more seasons. The veteran's minimum for Meeks would be closer to 800,000 dollars.

2. Jamison did not turn down a deal for 8 million a year for two years. He turned down a deal for 8 million dollars over two years (or 4 million dollars a year).
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:27 am

I'd shell out more than the minimum, something in the ballpark of $1.5m a year. But with the market being dried up, that's about it.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion