Jodie Meeks Discussion: career high 42 for OKC (81)

Re: Lakers in contact with Jodie Meeks

Postby khmrP on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:31 am

can't imagine Mitch caving into an avg. player like Meeks and his demands for more then min. Anybody watch Arg/US gm? Delfino is still servicable, I'd offer him a vet min and see how that goes, he is also a sf/sg hybrid and his 3pt isn't to bad, avg. around 35% for most of his career.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:43 am

We have 3 million to play with and we only really need one or two more guys.

The reason we're waiting is to see what we look like if/when Dwight is traded. He may not even be traded here, but he's going to be traded eventually. I think Mitch will wait a few more days, maybe towards the end of this week, to see where the Dwight situation is. If it's not resolved soon, we're going to give up until the deadline and Mitch will just use the mini-MLE where he needs to.

If no trade goes down, I can see LA throwing 1 million at Meeks. That's a pay raise, it's more than the veteran's minimum for him, and he's still worth a bit more than that. I can't see the Lakers paying him any more than 1.35 though which is what they paid Jamison.

As for the Martin idea, I doubt he actually is considering the Lakers, but if we decide to throw in the towel for now on a Howard deal, I can see the FO still signing him for the minimum for some added depth. I say the minimum because for him that's 1.35 million just like Jamison. McRoberts is already buried on our depth chart, one more body won't hurt; especially a guy who is like Matt Barnes, just in PF form. He'd be a solid add if for some reason he really wants to come here.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Magic Skywalker on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:06 am

khmrP wrote:can't imagine Mitch caving into an avg. player like Meeks and his demands for more then min. Anybody watch Arg/US gm? Delfino is still servicable, I'd offer him a vet min and see how that goes, he is also a sf/sg hybrid and his 3pt isn't to bad, avg. around 35% for most of his career.

I don't think we'll get Delfino for less than the full mini MLE.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:38 am

i can see us spending $1.4 on Meeks. It's a pay increase for him and he gets to play with KOBE & NASH for the LAKERS! He'd be an idiot not to take it as that experience is well worth it for a little more than vet min and he'd learn A LOT as a young guard playing with some of the GOAT guards.

Easy decision for any young player serious about getting better for the future. you would learn a TON from Kobe and Nash, get to play for a championship (76ers aren't getting out of the E. Conf. anytime soon), and you get the spotlight/recognition in a big market. simple choice.
Ariza3

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:45 am

Ariza3 wrote:i can see us spending $1.4 on Meeks. It's a pay increase for him and he gets to play with KOBE & NASH for the LAKERS! He'd be an idiot not to take it as that experience is well worth it for a little more than vet min and he'd learn A LOT as a young guard playing with some of the GOAT guards.

Easy decision for any young player serious about getting better for the future. you would learn a TON from Kobe and Nash, get to play for a championship (76ers aren't getting out of the E. Conf. anytime soon), and you get the spotlight/recognition in a big market. simple choice.

Not only that but look at guys like Shannon.. You can play good here on the cheap for 2 seasons & land a much bigger contract
lakersin4

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:28 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:i can see us spending $1.4 on Meeks. It's a pay increase for him and he gets to play with KOBE & NASH for the LAKERS! He'd be an idiot not to take it as that experience is well worth it for a little more than vet min and he'd learn A LOT as a young guard playing with some of the GOAT guards.

Not only that but look at guys like Shannon.. You can play good here on the cheap for 2 seasons & land a much bigger contract

Except Shannon Brown never really got paid.....Ariza is a much better example.
FabFourLakers

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:46 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:

Except Shannon Brown never really got paid.....Ariza is a much better example.

Well.. He got more than the minimum and more than we were offering.. But yes, Ariza is a better example. Meeks has a chance to follow in that mold
LakersN4

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:37 pm

jodie isn't taking minimum:

http://www.examiner.com/article/lakers-rumors-jodie-meeks-will-not-sign-for-the-veteran-s-minimum

i say we spend some of the MLE on meeks. i mean, sure you'll take on some more expenses, but isn't this the same front office who needs to maximize kobe's years?

i know it's easy to say as a fan, but they just got a massive tv deal (shared of course), but a couple mil for an impact player than could ultimately bring in more revenue for the team?

do it mitch.

jodie for 2yrs/$5M
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:22 pm

I seriously hope Mitch gets him at whatever cost. As the Olympics show...Kobe is very effective when he actually gets to rest.
Ariza3

Postby revgen on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:28 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:jodie isn't taking minimum:

http://www.examiner.com/article/lakers-rumors-jodie-meeks-will-not-sign-for-the-veteran-s-minimum

i say we spend some of the MLE on meeks. i mean, sure you'll take on some more expenses, but isn't this the same front office who needs to maximize kobe's years?

i know it's easy to say as a fan, but they just got a massive tv deal (shared of course), but a couple mil for an impact player than could ultimately bring in more revenue for the team?

do it mitch.

jodie for 2yrs/$5M

We can do a S&T with Philly instead.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:32 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:jodie isn't taking minimum:

do it mitch.

jodie for 2yrs/$5M

It wouldn't even cost that much. Part of the mini-MLE, a pay raise, and still less than the maximum veteran's minimum (I know it sounds weird):

2 yrs/$2.2 million dollars. The minimum for him is 800,000 and he's worth more than that. I'm guessing he's not getting great offers though and until the Dwight thing dies for the summer, the Lakers don't want to use the mini-MLE in any form.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Showtime.Revival.05 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:52 pm

i get the feeling he may be more willing to sign up for the vet min now
Showtime.Revival.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby kray28 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:12 pm

I would look at Barbosa over Meeks....I think Barbosa might reconsider us too.
kray28

Postby Showtime.Revival.05 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:16 pm

kray28 wrote:I would look at Barbosa over Meeks....I think Barbosa might reconsider us too.

id be happy with either one. but yes, i think a lot of these mid-level bench players will be more inclined to come on the cheap as we reclaim the "most glamorous team" title for now
Showtime.Revival.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:55 pm

I still don't think he would sign for the minimum and I'm still hopeful that when all the news is official he'll be included to LA somehow.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Balance&Options24 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:43 am

Basketball

Steve KylerRanked 190
+ Follow

The Howard deal is paving the way for a few more transactions once the dust settles... Hearing that Lakers forward Devin Ebanks will sign his Qualifying Offer sheet and return to the Lakers... Hearing Lakers are likely going to land Jodie Meeks when the dust clears.
2 minutes ago

CommentLike
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:48 am

Meeks or Barbosa :man13:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:49 am

Let's do iiiiiiiittttttt...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:50 am

therealdeal wrote:Let's do iiiiiiiittttttt...
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby TIME on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:54 am

Balance&Options24 wrote:
Basketball

Steve KylerRanked 190
+ Follow

The Howard deal is paving the way for a few more transactions once the dust settles... Hearing that Lakers forward Devin Ebanks will sign his Qualifying Offer sheet and return to the Lakers... Hearing Lakers are likely going to land Jodie Meeks when the dust clears.
2 minutes ago

CommentLike

I fully expect Meeks to be signed now. Even if it takes all or part of the MMLE. Mitch said he was saving it for if needed after a trade. Backup 2 is the only gap left on the team.
Vitti uttered three words that surely applies to how Bryant made two free throws on one leg, walked off the court on his own and processed his rehabilitation plan amid the pain, frustration and tears.

“That’s really cool.”
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldHammish on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:38 pm

GoldHammish

Postby Balance&Options24 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:09 pm

Sam Amico:Meanwhile, sources say Lakers' next move will be to sign free-agent guard Jodie Meeks (Sixers). Guy can fill it up.1 minute ago

If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:13 pm

:bow: if true
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Psychobroker on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:15 pm

Yes! :deal:
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:15 pm

soooo he'd have to be an idiot not to sign now. i mean $ is important for a young player...but you play with 4 future HOF's youre gunna learn a few things and then can go somewhere else and make $ in 2 years
Ariza3

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion