Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:36 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:CLUTCH
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: MIP!

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:37 pm

THREEEEKKKS.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:55 pm

Every game that goes by I still can't believe this is the same guy from last season. I still don't resign him unless he keeps it up most of the season though, and maybe not even then, contract year after all. But, if he keeps it up and will stay for the minimum, we could do worse.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFan1235 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:47 pm

I was shouting at my tv when he took that step back corner 3... He made me shut up real quick. This guy is killin' it. If he can give us 2/3 the production when Kobe returns I will be ecstatic.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby earvinfr on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:47 pm

Weezy wrote:Every game that goes by I still can't believe this is the same guy from last season. I still don't resign him unless he keeps it up most of the season though, and maybe not even then, contract year after all. But, if he keeps it up and will stay for the minimum, we could do worse.

He's doing like Sasha on his contract year. But, there's noway he gets 24M/4years like Sasha got. Even if he stays consistent all year. At max I'd give 4M/year and that'd be because we went to the finals like in 2008, and he was an important part of it.
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:51 pm

Here's to hoping the limited minutes/overall Kobe impact doesn't make Meeks revert to playing like he did last year.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:42 am

Meeks has certainly earned minutes with or without Kobe.

He'll play. If anything Henry's minutes will fall.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:55 am

its so weird now...i'm surprised when this dude misses and look for him when he doesn't have the ball

if he keeps this up, i can see him becoming a contender for most improved...that's how much he's changed
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby SpencerHarrison on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Meeks is a low volume, efficient scorer this year. MDA (despite what a lot of fans think) isn't dumb. He will ride the hot hand, and if Meeks starts hot, he'll get minutes. If not, X will get the green light to drive.
SpencerHarrison

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:24 pm

Am still looking for a short list of who in the NBA fires off a 3 point shot with a more ridiculously quick release than Jody? With some kind of accuracy. I mean :man4: :man4: when he does that and they splash.
LTLakerFan

Postby SpencerHarrison on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:26 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Am still looking for a short list of who in the NBA fires off a 3 point shot with a more ridiculously quick release than Jody? With some kind of accuracy. I mean :man4: :man4: when he does that and they splash.

Even last year when fans were down on him, it was impossible to ignore his amazing stroke. He's a born shooter
SpencerHarrison

Postby pound4pound1 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:57 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Am still looking for a short list of who in the NBA fires off a 3 point shot with a more ridiculously quick release than Jody? With some kind of accuracy. I mean :man4: :man4: when he does that and they splash.

Klay's got a pretty quick release..Mychal's kid is a great sniper
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Chillbongo on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:04 pm

I completely regret all the s***-talking I did on Meeks last year. You are legit dude. You are reliable. Your shot is money. I am sorry.

Please forgive us. We are fickle Laker fans. That and role-players tend to suck it up once they arrive.
Chillbongo

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:07 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:

Yep. But is he actually any quicker than Jody? This has to be a really short list. I think it's an interesting topic. We've never had a guy I don't think that fires as fast as Jody, have we?
LTLakerFan

Postby pound4pound1 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:12 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:

Yep. But is he actually any quicker than Jody? This has to be a really short list. I think it's an interesting topic. We've never had a guy I don't think that fires as fast as Jody, have we?

yea man, its a really short list..Korver? Ray Allen? there's not that many with a release that quick...and no, i can't think off the top of my head of any Lakers with a quicker release
pound4pound1

Postby charvin on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:55 pm

I think maybe Shawn Marion rivals or is even faster at launching his shot than Meeks. Then again, Marion is holding the ball at his chest when he releases it.

charvin

Postby karacha on Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:09 pm

Sometimes I see him catch the ball and yell "no you can't get a shot o... M33KSSSSS!"

That's a pretty quick release.

Cook was pretty impressive, especially for a 6-10 guy. I've never liked Cook.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:16 pm

charvin wrote:I think maybe Shawn Marion rivals or is even faster at launching his shot than Meeks. Then again, Marion is holding the ball at his chest when he releases it.

Ummm doubt it. But Marion wouldn't count anyway because it's the ugliest shot in the history of the league.

:man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:48 pm

Klay.

Easily. The kid is crazy.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:00 pm

therealdeal wrote:Klay.

Easily. The kid is crazy.

LMAO. Come on there are certain motions and range that have to be covered and Meeks looks impossibly fast at times. With a number of those ultra fast shots splashing. You may be right, I don't watch them and hadn't had this thought last time we played them. But "easily" I don't see how there could possibly be that big of a gap.

It would be easy enough to check with the right equipment by counting frames from the catch to the release on each of them. Like they used to do with Ali in his prime with his jab.
LTLakerFan

Postby Barnstable on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:30 pm

It's pretty darn close between the two for fastest release:

Thompson-

Meeks-
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby SpencerHarrison on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:39 pm

His main limitation is (so far) an inability to create lateral space if a defender doesn't bite on a pump fake. Which makes him a bad option late in the clock.
SpencerHarrison

Postby Barnstable on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:50 pm

SpencerHarrison wrote:His main limitation is (so far) an inability to create lateral space if a defender doesn't bite on a pump fake. Which makes him a bad option late in the clock.

Oh, no doubt you give it to Young if you're late in the clock unless Meeks has space to shoo. But the thing is, Meeks doesn't really need much room to shoot.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Barnstable wrote:It's pretty darn close between the two for fastest release:

Thompson-

Meeks-

Yeah they are really close, hard to tell from these. But some of Jody's shots recently seemed off the chart for quickness.

Off the chart like the beauty of Klay's stroke. WOW! :wow: :man4: And to think he's in the back court with Curry. :wow: :yikes: Beasts together. Splash Brothers indeed.
LTLakerFan

Postby Barnstable on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:30 pm

LTLakerFan wrote: And to think he's in the back court with Curry. :wow: :yikes: Beasts together. Splash Brothers indeed.

Yeah, I gotta say, if I hadn't made the correct choice in 87 and become a Lakers fan way back then, I would probably be rooting for the Warriors teams, including this one.

Pretty fun to watch actually.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion