Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Welcome To The Lakers Jodie Meeks (Page 12, 2 years $3 mil)

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:09 am

^ To be fair Blake had 4 assists. The only thing positive about Blake is that he's a good PG in the respect that he wants to get others the ball and he's a willing passer. Beyond that... *shudder*

Meeks plays well. I like him and I want to see him in his role behind Kobe and getting some serious playing time with the serious bench guys. He's not super fast, nor is he a leaper, but with him and Ebanks on the floor we can see some nice semi-transition this season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:28 am

therealdeal wrote:^ To be fair Blake had 4 assists. The only thing positive about Blake is that he's a good PG in the respect that he wants to get others the ball and he's a willing passer. Beyond that... *shudder*

Meeks plays well. I like him and I want to see him in his role behind Kobe and getting some serious playing time with the serious bench guys. He's not super fast, nor is he a leaper, but with him and Ebanks on the floor we can see some nice semi-transition this season.

Blake handles the ball. Blake moves the ball. That we can agree upon.

Ever since Nash came, he does have a little pep in his step, I'm hoping Nash can give him a few pointers on passing out of a screen and roll. Kobe had a nice Nash-like bounce pass to Sacre yesterday, which looks like something Kobe picked up from practice. But that's Kobe, and he's ever evolving.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:41 am

Blake's problems: he's a willing passer but an uncreative one. He doesn't have the knack for finding the space like a good PG does. He doesn't shoot enough and when he does it's not consistent. A lot of times he'll have a slight fade on his shot and since it's already a flat shot it bricks of the back of the rim. He's a hard worker defensively, but he lacks talent on that end; he reminds me of Sasha in that way.

But I agree he looks more spry offensively with Nash around. I've noticed him do the little Nash run around the back of the lane move a lot. It's nice because he's penetrating, but then he tries to force a pass inside and can't do it like Nash can. Or he takes that fade away shot and misses. He needs to make that move and WAIT until the defense commits. If they don't commit, then calmly find space and take the shot. It's easy if you have the ability to do it which I don't think he does.

But on topic, Jodie looks good. And with all of ^ that said, there's a spot in the corner that Blake can find guys in and Meeks is perfect for that job. I liked what I saw from Jodie in game 1 and in game 4 so far. Game 2 was okay and Game 3 was forgettable.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:56 am

therealdeal wrote:^ To be fair Blake had 4 assists. The only thing positive about Blake is that he's a good PG in the respect that he wants to get others the ball and he's a willing passer. Beyond that... *shudder*.

Those 4 assists are very very misleading. I know at least two came from him standing still, behind the 3 point line and just swinging the ball to Kobe who was on fire in the 3rd and knocked down some 3's off those passes.

I actually liked what I saw from Duhon more last night, then Blake, as bad as that sounds.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:04 am

Doc Brown wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ To be fair Blake had 4 assists. The only thing positive about Blake is that he's a good PG in the respect that he wants to get others the ball and he's a willing passer. Beyond that... *shudder*.

Those 4 assists are very very misleading. I know at least two came from him standing still, behind the 3 point line and just swinging the ball to Kobe who was on fire in the 3rd and knocked down some 3's off those passes.

I actually liked what I saw from Duhon more last night, then Blake, as bad as that sounds.

Duhon looked a lot more like a SG than a PG. I know it's easy to dismiss the ball swinging giving Blake assists, but in the end he made the right choice and moved the ball. Duhon I think had one nice pass that lead to an assist. I liked what I saw for sure though. I think he looked like an NBA player at least and hopefully his value went up a tiny tick.

I think the more impressive thing from Duhon was that he excelled defensively out there. He made Blake look bad there for sure.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:15 am

therealdeal wrote:But on topic, Jodie looks good. And with all of ^ that said, there's a spot in the corner that Blake can find guys in and Meeks is perfect for that job. I liked what I saw from Jodie in game 1 and in game 4 so far. Game 2 was okay and Game 3 was forgettable.

To be fair to Jodie, and back to our original points, he just need time on the floor to get to his spots and in rhythm.

I hope this last game makes it CLEAR to Mike Brown that WE DON'T NEED Blake or Morris to play the backup 2, Ebanks either, maybe as a third string, but Meeks IS our clear cut backup SG.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:23 am

^ Ebanks is just a very solid fit at the 3 for us, he doesn't need to play any 2 at all. We've got Meeks, we've got maybe DJO, and we've got CDR that can ALL play better minutes at the 2 than Ebanks.

But yeah Meeks definitely deserves that time. He's maybe our best shooter and he's a tenacious defender. I saw Kobe get up for him at the end of the game when he hit all of those threes so I think Kobe respects him. I can't wait to see a final bench rotation of (whoever)/Meeks/Ebanks/Jamison/Hill when everything is said and done.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:37 pm

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register wrote:
Brown was glad to see Jodie Meeks break out of a shooting slump and nail four 3-pointers in the fourth quarter. Meeks is establishing himself as Kobe Bryant’s backup. Said Brown about Meeks: “Defensively, he did some good things, too.”
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby The Rock on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:42 pm

He looked good when all he has to do is catch and shoot...just put him next to a couple of starters and bingo it will all work out. If you put him next to Morris or Blake/Duhon and rest of the bench he isn't gonna contribute

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby nthydro on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:01 am

I'm not yet convinced about Meeks. Other than that 4th quarter he's been pretty underwhelming. Hopefully that quarter will jump start him.
nthydro

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:43 am

Can't really be convinced when you don't get consistent time and you're playing camp fodder.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:50 am

lakerfan2 wrote:Can't really be convinced when you don't get consistent time and you're playing camp fodder.

Yeah. Jodie has looked pretty good to me. He's shown a few things out there that I wasn't expecting. He drives more than I thought he would, which I like. His shot hasn't fallen much, but he's playing with some of the worst camp fodder in the league in the first 3 games so that's not a big deal.

Defensively he's looked really, really solid. I think that's where he's going to make a real impact. I knew he was a hard worker, but I kept my expectations down. Turns out he's a decent defender on that side. I like it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:49 am

JSM wrote:
Brown was glad to see Jodie Meeks break out of a shooting slump and nail four 3-pointers in the fourth quarter. Meeks is establishing himself as Kobe Bryant’s backup. Said Brown about Meeks: “Defensively, he did some good things, too.”

I guess he'll just never acknowledge Meek's scoring ability. Ever. Back to our regularly scheduled program with Blake, Duhon, and Morris at the 2.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby XXIV on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:58 am

dj vitus wrote:
JSM wrote:

I guess he'll just never acknowledge Meek's scoring ability. Ever. Back to our regularly scheduled program with Blake, Duhon, and Morris at the 2.

He stated he was glad Meeks was able to shoot the ball better, isn't that acknowledging his scoring ability?
XXIV

Postby revgen on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:17 pm

^I'd say it indicates shooting ability. A scorer is somebody who can get their own shot.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby XXIV on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Then Meeks hasn't shown any scoring ability. From what I've seen in the preseason games Meeks has been mostly a jump shooter whose shot has been created by others.
XXIV

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:22 pm

I got a good laugh when they followed him grocery shopping on Backstage Lakers. He picks up a bunch of juices loaded with sugar and then says "No soda...". He should really peek at some of those labels one of these days. :man10:
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby nthydro on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:23 pm

therealdeal wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:Can't really be convinced when you don't get consistent time and you're playing camp fodder.

Yeah. Jodie has looked pretty good to me. He's shown a few things out there that I wasn't expecting. He drives more than I thought he would, which I like. His shot hasn't fallen much, but he's playing with some of the worst camp fodder in the league in the first 3 games so that's not a big deal.

Defensively he's looked really, really solid. I think that's where he's going to make a real impact. I knew he was a hard worker, but I kept my expectations down. Turns out he's a decent defender on that side. I like it.

Honestly, I haven't seen anything impressive defensively from him either. I'm watchin him right now and the last couple plays he's gotten blown by easily. The effort is there though so I can't say he's not trying. I really want to like Meeks...but at this point I just hope he can give us a consistent spot up shooter. And sure you can reason that he's playing with camp fodders, but I'm sure some of the camp fodders would look good next to our starters too.
nthydro

Postby Finwë on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Gotta hit those catch-and-shoot 3s
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:03 pm

He's looked good so far.

He had a little bit of a lack luster game today, but he was much better in the last two games. The Kings have some pretty quick, athletic guards so I'm not too worried that he had a tougher time staying in front.

I thought today the defense on him was strong so he had a tough time getting looks. The attention given to him helped to free up looks for Ebanks though which is why I like those two coming off the bench. If they can get some consistent time out there, they might be more dangerous than people realize.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:08 pm

Hes a 3 point shooter, hes a catch and shoot and guy thats it. Give him minutes with at least 2 of the big 4 things will open up.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:10 pm

He will look better when/if he plays with the 1st unit ( put Kebo at the 3) or with D12 in the 2nd unit ... he needs space to shoot the ball better ... obviously won't happen if there are 5 reserves together on the floor ... I'm sure he'd hit these wide open 3s Metta is getting at a good clip
wcsoldier81

Postby Finwë on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:27 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:He will look better when/if he plays with the 1st unit (put Kebo at the 3) or with D12 in the 2nd unit ... he needs space to shoot the ball better ... obviously won't happen if there are 5 reserves together on the floor ... I'm sure he'd hit these wide open 3s Metta is getting at a good clip

Woah, a "Kebo" sighting :man10:
I remember when not so few people here were calling him that last season.. I never liked it, thought it was disrespectful (I'm fine with criticism, but not cool with that type of thing, especially when talking about arguably the greatest laker of all time), and found it ironic when those same members then weeks later wrote little posts about how great the guy was and how tough it'd be to see him leave.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Nothing disrepectful here :man10: ... Kebo sounds good to me
wcsoldier81

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:05 pm

M.I.A.
Ariza3

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion