Jodie Meeks Discussion: career high 42 for OKC (81)

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:05 am

Meeks 3pts shooting by quarter this season :

1st : 15/37 , 40.5%
2nd : 31/76 40.8%
3rd 16/45 35.6%
4th: 34/94 36.2%

Overall he's shooting his best FG% in the 4th at 43% though ... 32/59 on 2pts shots , very solid %
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:07 am

looks like he shoots most his 3s when kobe takes his usual rest in the 2nd and 4th
User avatar
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel
 
Posts: 20125
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:22 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:35 am

He really showed why an athletic young SG/SF would be a huge asset to our team. He's great when his shot is falling, but there's some teams where we need a taller lineup. Right now we can't do that without sacrificing speed by using Clark on the wing.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby therealdeal on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:22 am

I love this guy's attitude... That's all I've got.

He's not terribly consistent and last night he was definitely a liability defensively down the stretch. But he also plays with his heart on his sleeve and he never stops working. I love that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 36959
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby gcclaker on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:01 pm

therealdeal wrote:I love this guy's attitude... That's all I've got.

He's not terribly consistent and last night he was definitely a liability defensively down the stretch. But he also plays with his heart on his sleeve and he never stops working. I love that.

I agree... You have the William Parkers of the world with all the physical tools and capability but zero of that moxie. All the games I managed to catch, I don't I've ever seen Meeks take a play off when he is on the floor.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
User avatar
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 14998
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 9:35 am
Location: Laker Cyber Space

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby therealdeal on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:55 pm

I'm with you. Being a player in sports that was never overly gifted with athleticism or height , i have a great appreciation for players like Jodie. He won't dazzle you with his abilities, but 9/10 times he'll work harder than you.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 36959
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:03 pm

Jodie bust his butt. He is up for the challenge for sure. I wasn't happy when he missed a couple wide open 3's and I was furious watching him get "prison ruled" in the paint on defense. I really didn't understand why EC wasn't out there instead of Meeks at that point.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
User avatar
puffyusaf#2

 
Posts: 29910
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Chasing the dream to an Oscar

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:33 pm

Image

3-17 (2-11 3pt FG) in the past 3 games
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 93538
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:39 pm

Anyone else think his lightning quick release from beyond the arc maybe if it were just a teeny tad slower when not needed to be that fast, might make him more consistent and less streaky? I do like the way he will move forward for a shorter shot when he can.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 5302
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:52 pm

Streaky guy that can save our butt in some games (Hornets 25 point comeback) or contribute absolutely nothing and be a total detriment. Just have to live with it
User avatar
JoelMyersScrotalSack

 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:58 pm

very streaky and had a bad game. started for the first time this year i think or at least first time in a long time. in the 4th played pretty bad D and turned it over causing a 6-0 run which was almost putting the game in jeopardy. missed a lot of wide open 3's.

but his effort and energy and attitude is always great and has stepped up big in some big games and hit huge shots.

today just had a bad game but had blake and jamison to step up to cover up for him
Image
User avatar
Ariza3

 
Posts: 4691
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby nthydro on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Defensively he reminds me a lot of Sasha. The energy and activity is there but the results are unsatisfactory.
nthydro

 
Posts: 1383
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby XXIV on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:36 pm

He's very streaky and when he isn't hitting shots he's becomes a liability. I love his energy and hustle but the final product isn't always what we need.
XXIV

 
Posts: 6354
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:40 pm

I think Sasha was a lot better at literally sticking to his guy. He would slap and annoy you to the point of frustration, which I loved. He was a good man defender.

Jodie is more of a hustle and recover defender. Which is actually nice because he's the only one that is quick enough to rotate on defense. He's not strong enough for post defense, and he's not smart enough for 1-on-1 defending, so he's more of a help defender than anything.

As for his shooting,he may be streaky, but at least when he's on, he's on. In the case of Shannon Brown, Matt Barnes, etc...we never really had a 3 point threat since Space Cadet and the Machine.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9011
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:51 pm

nthydro wrote:Defensively he reminds me a lot of Sasha. The energy and activity is there but the results are unsatisfactory.


Reminds me more of Fish. Bulldog stance, only to be obliterated by the weakest of picks or just flat out beat by his man. Ofcourse the real show starts after his man loses him and he has to figure out what to do next.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

- 24
User avatar
Tobias Funke

 
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:13 am

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:27 pm

I think Meeks is a pretty decent defender for the most part. Where he's struggled most though is against bigger wing players. The bigger, longer guys have just taken his lunch money on the block. Not sure what he can do in that situation. He really shouldn't be guarding those type of guys (SF's) to begin with but since we have no backup 3 he ends up there at times.
Lakerjones

 
Posts: 14886
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby karacha on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Lakerjones wrote:The bigger, longer guys have just taken his lunch money on the block. Not sure what he can do in that situation.


Nothing, really. He is a decent defender, but in those situations they are just going to either bully him or shoot over him.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37037
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:13 pm

karacha wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:The bigger, longer guys have just taken his lunch money on the block. Not sure what he can do in that situation.


Nothing, really. He is a decent defender, but in those situations they are just going to either bully him or shoot over him.

Being a short-ish guy myself it's not terribly difficult. Follow the Derek Fisher rule (2004-2009 Fisher that is, not 2011-present Fisher). Force your man to make a decision on where they're going to go. Have your anchor (Dwight) be ready in that area. If he goes somewhere other than where you forced him to go, stop him.

For instance in the Raptors game: Dwight told Jodie "force him baseline and then I'll be there to help." Jodie forced him baseline, and Dwight slid over and blocked Andersen.

Jodie just needs to make the defender pick something. Take away his right hand and force him to go to his left. If he dribbles with his right hand he should be dribbling it into your chest. Then as he goes towards Howard, hands up high so you can try to deflect the inevitable pass he throws out when he craps his pants looking at Dwight.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 36959
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:
nthydro wrote:Defensively he reminds me a lot of Sasha. The energy and activity is there but the results are unsatisfactory.


Reminds me more of Fish. Bulldog stance, only to be obliterated by the weakest of picks or just flat out beat by his man. Ofcourse the real show starts after his man loses him and he has to figure out what to do next.


:man10:



I'm starting to think Steve Black if he can keep it up is our Sasha from 09/10 this year. Maybe with more benefit on the floor because of better handles and actually being a point guard. Similar harrassing defense and denial against players and those sweet 3 pointers in the clutch.

Jodie will be back with the shot...... like the kid a lot.....glad we have him. :jam2:
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 5302
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby nthydro on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:26 pm

therealdeal wrote:
karacha wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:The bigger, longer guys have just taken his lunch money on the block. Not sure what he can do in that situation.


Nothing, really. He is a decent defender, but in those situations they are just going to either bully him or shoot over him.

Being a short-ish guy myself it's not terribly difficult. Follow the Derek Fisher rule (2004-2009 Fisher that is, not 2011-present Fisher). Force your man to make a decision on where they're going to go. Have your anchor (Dwight) be ready in that area. If he goes somewhere other than where you forced him to go, stop him.

For instance in the Raptors game: Dwight told Jodie "force him baseline and then I'll be there to help." Jodie forced him baseline, and Dwight slid over and blocked Andersen.

Jodie just needs to make the defender pick something. Take away his right hand and force him to go to his left. If he dribbles with his right hand he should be dribbling it into your chest. Then as he goes towards Howard, hands up high so you can try to deflect the inevitable pass he throws out when he craps his pants looking at Dwight.


I agree but he can't keep relying on Dwight to cover him. Fisher might have never been a great perimeter defender but he was a solid position defender in the post. Then again he's like 3x stronger than Jodie lol. But still, he's always held his own in the post against taller players.

I think Jodie's main problem is his lower base is not strong enough. He looks like he's in fairly good condition but he is on the lanky side. He needs to strengthen up a bit. I remember Kobe had similar issues during his first couple years. Then he bulked up a little and was able to hold his ground better.

I'm not saying he needs to gain 20 lbs of muscle, but there's definitely room for improvement in that department.
nthydro

 
Posts: 1383
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:53 pm

He's garbage on the offensive end tonight. :bang:
Image
User avatar
Mr_Hollywood_Line

 
Posts: 2462
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 10:07 pm
Location: The Low Post

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby khmrP on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Mr_Hollywood_Line wrote:He's garbage on the offensive end tonight. :bang:

Only offense? He was horrible on D too...he kept getting lost and leaving shooters wide open...keeper my butt
Last edited by khmrP on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 9956
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:29 pm

34%FG, 32% 3pt so far in March. :hurl: :bricks:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 18284
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby khmrP on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:37 pm

Doc Brown wrote:34%FG, 32% 3pt so far in March. :hurl: :bricks:

This is why I wonder why people so eager to sign clark @ all cost and call meeks a keeper for a few good gm or in meeks case 1 good gm (noh]
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 9956
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:05 pm

You can't question his effort ...he's just not good enough to be in the rotation of a contender ... simple as that
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 8 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.