Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:20 pm

I saw people talking about his low IQ on offense, but its on D where he really has some gems. Watching him decide which man to switch to or double is nothing short of hilarious.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby khmrP on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:30 am

can't question his effort one bit but when effort isn't enough to get the job done then he is no longer of any use, this is Sasha 2.0, we all know he tried hard on D, pestering guys 30ft away from the basket but we also knew a foul was coming a blow by every single time. We knew Sasha couldn't miss in practice which I'm sure Meeks does just as well but when it doesn't convey onto the court, its pointless to just mention effort when the actual player is detrimental to the team success.
khmrP

Postby matilda on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:41 am

Hmmm....what trips me out is when you all talk about this player or that one not playing defense. This is the NBA - hardly anyone plays defense, especially the guys that score alot of points. Realistically, I watch what happens when players are in. Sometimes their man gets by them but this is the case of most at any given time. Jodie does a decent job of keeping his man in front of him and most of the players he guards run through multiple screens and he fights his way through. I wouldn't want to have to do that. I have also noticed that it appears at times that no screens are set for him on offense and some of the players don't pass him the ball. Guaranteed, he needs to hit the shots he gets but shooters have to get in a rhythm.
matilda

Postby khmrP on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:58 am

^^^his man doesn't just get by him, they post him up and score to and worse of all he gets lost even w/o screens on SHOOTERS, that is a worse offense than getting blown by or getting blown up by screens. When you lose your man completely with off-ball movt you're really are a bad defender period! I can live with getting blown by cause you expect help and also dont fault him when he gets posted up cause he always gona be smaller than the guy he's guarding but when you lose your man w/o any type of screens or crazy ball movement you're just not paying attention at all.
khmrP

Postby matilda on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:11 pm

I don't deny he loses his man sometimes but come on now I don't see anything about point guards blowing by Steve Nash all the time. I know he's a future hall of famer and a great point guard at one time but a defender he's not.
matilda

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Please......... make a wide open shot!
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby lotus on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:11 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:Please......... make a wide open shot!

+1
lotus

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:13 am

It would be nice if Meeks/MWP would do something as simple as stepping into a mid-range shot instead of bombing from 3's when they're off. More often then not both these guys could easily pump make and step into a closer shot and off the few times I've recall seeing Meeks do it he usually hits the shot, MWP sometimes but others he travels. Either way both these guys have so much space on their shot that they could do this step in consistently, especially Meeks since his defender try to close out on him alot harder than MWP making it so easy to pump fake and move it in closer. But unfortunately for us both Meeks/MWP more often than not just fakes and clear out defender only to do a step back fade away 3, as if they're Kobe :bang: :freak2:
khmrP

Postby gcclaker on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:54 am

^The mid-range game is a LOST art nowadays among a majority of players. Very few utilize it.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:44 pm

Do we keep this fool on our roster? He's been less than impressive IMO.

I think he has a team option for like $2M or less. But at that price I think it's a no-brainer. We can always acquire a better backup guard via trades this summer.
Chillbongo

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:16 pm

^Haha. For the price, he we might keep him. However, we need a bigger SG, IMO. Meeks is too small when guarding the bigger stronger SG's and could be a defensive liability. Go get me a Gerald Henderson who can play the SG/SG and guard those positions effectively.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Yep, exactly what I was thinking. Defensively we could use some more size.

Henderson might be a stretch? He won't come off the bench will he...And is he still on a cheap contract? Because after that he'll demand more dough for sure.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 am

Henderson is a dream fit in my mind, but he's going to get paid somewhere else I think.

Meeks should be kept on the roster for depth. He's a good kid. He's a hard worker. And for 2 million you could do worse in the league. We can always look for a guy to play OVER him, but he's a good piece to have to fill out a roster.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:23 am

Henderson is not that much worse than Marcus Thorton, different type of player but similar type of production and Thorton got nearly 10mill/yr, so yea I dont think we're getting Henderson for the measly mini MLE that we have.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:41 am

khmrP wrote:Henderson is not that much worse than Marcus Thorton, different type of player but similar type of production and Thorton got nearly 10mill/yr, so yea I dont think we're getting Henderson for the measly mini MLE that we have.

that was before the new CBA though right?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:45 am

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:Henderson is not that much worse than Marcus Thorton, different type of player but similar type of production and Thorton got nearly 10mill/yr, so yea I dont think we're getting Henderson for the measly mini MLE that we have.

Thorton just signed it last off-season so thats with upcoming CBA in mind I guess. I'd figure someone is gona give Hendo at least 5+ even with the new CBA.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:53 am

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Thorton just signed it last off-season so thats with upcoming CBA in mind I guess. I'd figure someone is gona give Hendo at least 5+ even with the new CBA.

Hol up.

Marcus Thorton signed for about 8 million a year for 4 years in December of 2011. So yeah, it was just after the lock out and the new CBA was already in place. But it wasn't 10 million.

I think as the reality of the new CBA sets in, guys like Thorton will lose money. So I think Henderson's contract will more likely be in the 5 million range. Maybe full MLE if the right team is involved.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:57 am

Jodie is starting tonight

https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/316953285909159936

Mike D'Antoni says he's not optimistic that Metta World Peace returns before end of regular season. Jodie Meeks starts tonight vs. Minny.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:05 am

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Hol up.

Marcus Thorton signed for about 8 million a year for 4 years in December of 2011. So yeah, it was just after the lock out and the new CBA was already in place. But it wasn't 10 million.

I think as the reality of the new CBA sets in, guys like Thorton will lose money. So I think Henderson's contract will more likely be in the 5 million range. Maybe full MLE if the right team is involved.

thats what I recall seeing with incentives but base wise its close 8.5+ next 2 seasons.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:11 am

According to storytellerscontracts.com :
2013- 7,525,000
2014- 8,050,000
2015- 8,575,000

Doesn't mention incentives.

Also remember that Thorton is undersized. I think Henderson could come close to 6 million because he's pretty big, he's very athletic, and he's a decent scorer. Then again, there's a few of those in the league these days that get pennies (see Budinger and Parsons) by comparison.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:13 am

therealdeal wrote:According to storytellerscontracts.com :
2013- 7,525,000
2014- 8,050,000
2015- 8,575,000

Doesn't mention incentives.

Also remember that Thorton is undersized. I think Henderson could come close to 6 million because he's pretty big, he's very athletic, and he's a decent scorer. Then again, there's a few of those in the league these days that get pennies (see Budinger and Parsons) by comparison.

so if Thorton is undersize, shouldn't Henderson get as much if not more than Thorton? As for the comparsion its not very good considering both parson/budinger got long term deals right out the bat as 2nd rders.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:26 am

^ Budinger didn't. He's on minimum contract right now up in Minnesota. Parsons I think is still on his rookie contract.

Like I said, I think as people realize that "superstars" are STILL going to get paid and there's ALWAYS a need for minimum contracts, the ones who will get hurt the most are the middle class athletes. The ones fighting for 4 or 5 or 6 million dollars as time goes on will get 3 or 4 million instead. This summer I see Henderson being WORTH about 5 million.

He might get paid more though.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:21 am

I hope I'm wrong but since he's starting I have a bad feeling bout Ridnour going off this game, he did in the prior gm against us.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:24 am

You mean going off against Jodie?

I don't think I'm that worried about it. I'm more worried about Rubio and about Budinger.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:26 am

Let's hope Meeks can get some good shooting tonight. Free up the space for Gasol and Howard to operate in the paint.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion