Jodie Meeks: signs with Pistons-3 yr / 19mil!?!? = cya

Re: Jodie Meeks Discussion: Defensive Liability

Postby karacha on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:59 pm

We'll probably have some players next year, but for now, this is it. Maybe he gets hot one of these days.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Would've rather had Duhon out there at the 2 guard. If you can't make a 3, you're no good to us. Sign Jack Nicholson to a 10 day and I guarantee you he doesn't get deep fried on D half as bad as Meeks does play after play. Meeks is making the man he's assigned to look like an All-Star. Doesn't matter who it is. He either got lost on the play, got confused, or let him run by him on the way to the basket.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby XXIV on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:13 pm

It would be nice to have him as a third string SG, but when he's not hitting shots he's really useless. While I respect his energy and hustle, it just doesn't always translates to good defense. Some guy on 710 today called in saying how Meeks was "Artest" like on defense, I seriously wonder if some people watch the games. I hope this offseason we address the bench depth issue.
XXIV

Postby nthydro on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Defensively he brings the energy and hustle but he's just not a very smart defender. I don't know how many times he lost his man. As inconsistent as Metta was on offense I'd much have him out there if Meeks is gonna start in his place. Meeks is a big liability when he's not hitting his shots.
nthydro

Postby JSM on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:25 pm

XXIV wrote: Some guy on 710 today called in saying how Meeks was "Artest" like on defense

Awful comparison. They both hustle on D at all times (comparison ends there), but MWP actually gets things done on D. Meeks is a revolving door. I'd compare his defensive effort much more to a milder Sasha. Sasha would at least annoy his opponent like a gnat or pest, Meeks doesn't even do that.
JSM

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:26 pm

sucked so bad
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:54 pm

As I said before many times , he has nothing to do on a roster which wants to contend ... he's a backup for these 6-8th seed teams in the Leastern Conference ....

He did basically wrong on every play he was involved on both ends off the floor minus the assist for Tawn ...

SMH at that behind the back pass
wcsoldier81

Postby The Rock on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:05 pm

I dont know who hes gonna guard on Sunday, too slow for Paul/Bledsoe, Crawford/Billups will run circles around him, Barnes/Hill will outhustle him. Hopefully he makes his open 3 point shots and makes his PT worth it

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:48 pm

The Rock wrote:I dont know who hes gonna guard on Sunday, too slow for Paul/Bledsoe, Crawford/Billups will run circles around him, Barnes/Hill will outhustle him. Hopefully he makes his open 3 point shots and makes his PT worth it

Clippers are among one of the worst teams at defending the three...I'm positive Meeks will hit some 3s on Sunday.
FabFourLakers

Postby therealdeal on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:56 am

1. He's a hard worker defensively, but he doesn't know really HOW to defend. He takes terrible angles, he doesn't know how/when to fight through a screen, and he usually plays too far up on drivers and too far back on shooters.

2. I still like him because he works his buns off.

3. He's very valuable to the starting unit because he's a floor spacer. Our offense is simple: Kobe/Pau/Dwight pick and roll and dominate the middle. Meeks and Blake run baseline and camp in the corners. I don't think Meeks likes the corner three, but that's where we need him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:22 am

Well, he uh, made a layup... so that's something right? Yeah ima go with that, his layup ended up being the difference in the game as we won by 2. :man1:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:37 am

this dude makes me miss Sasha...at least spaz would hit WIDE open 3s
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby scissors on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:58 am

Meeks is not hitting his shots and the man he covers scores on him at will. Useless at this point. I hope he picks up his game.
scissors

Postby lakerfansd on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:08 am

Meeks driving to the basket reminds me of Fisher driving to the basket.
lakerfansd

Postby borri on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:58 am

Hrm...I guess this is why Philly let him go.
borri

Postby khmrP on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:30 pm

borri wrote:Hrm...I guess this is why Philly let him go.

He got bench late in philly last season and barely got pt in playoffs that shouldve been a big red flag. ..however his shooting isnt bothering me as much as his d, not only does he get blown by but he is constantly losing site of his man when they play of ball, hes either getting back doored or leaving em open for 3s.....I can deal with getting killed 1on 1 but not losing site of your assignment as well.
khmrP

Postby pound4pound1 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:40 pm

lakerfansd wrote:Meeks driving to the basket reminds me of Fisher driving to the basket.

misses layups, doesn't play D

we might as well have kept Fish...at least he was able to hit a wide open 3 from time to tome
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby nthydro on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:50 pm

To his credit, Meeks is a good help defender in terms of rotating and closing out on shooters, due to his speed.
nthydro

Postby OX1947 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:25 pm

Meeks is a shooting liability.
OX1947

Postby khmrP on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:46 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
lakerfansd wrote:Meeks driving to the basket reminds me of Fisher driving to the basket.

we might as well have kept Fish...at least he was able to hit a wide open 3 from time to tome

at least you can excuse fisher a bid for missing layups, old, slow and not athletic anymore....Meeks on the other hand :man3:
khmrP

Postby nthydro on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:51 pm

khmrP wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:

at least you can excuse fisher a bid for missing layups, old, slow and not athletic anymore....Meeks on the other hand :man3:

He has no body or ball control what so ever when he's going in for a layup. It's pretty comical. Unfortunately we have 3 guys on this team (Meeks, MWP, and D12) who misses point blank layups with regularity.
nthydro

Postby DHL on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:56 pm

[Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] USELESS
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby JSM on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Renaming our starting backcourt Dumb and Dumber. :disagree:

5-13, 14 points
JSM

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Meeks was absolutely hot garbage today. :bang: His lack of effectiveness on D really bothered me.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:05 pm

therealdeal wrote:Absolutely. He's a good piece, especially for that price.

That doesn't mean we won't look for someone who might challenge his minutes, but he's certainly going to be here this summer (unless he's asked for in a package to get a SF, but that's another story).

if he's gona be back we need someone BETTER than him, he needs to be the last option. Otherwise bringing in someone of similar talent/production to challenge each other isn't gona be much better, one of em is gona be off if not both at the same time.
khmrP

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion