Johnny Flynn - forgotten man. Low risk, high reward?

Johnny Flynn - forgotten man. Low risk, high reward?

Postby Sirron on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:13 pm

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9547629/the-struggles-former-lottery-pick-jonny-flynn

Jonny Flynn Wants Back In
The quick destruction and slow rehabilitation of a forgotten lottery pick
By Jonathan Abrams on August 14, 2013

PRINT

Tyronn Lue needed a sub. Someone to fill the garbage time. So the Clippers assistant coach, overseeing the team's summer league squad, summoned Jonny Flynn from the deepest end of the bench and into a game against Atlanta. Flynn played the final minute, his only action, and scored a basket. The former Syracuse star had little in common with his teammates or any other players in Las Vegas that July day. He has looked Chris Paul in the eyes at half court, battled Deron Williams in the post, and stuck it to Rajon Rondo. Most famously, Flynn, a point guard, was drafted one spot ahead of Stephen Curry in the 2009 NBA draft, by a floundering franchise that had just picked Ricky Rubio, a point guard, minutes earlier. That startling sequence — three point guards in a row, two for the same team — will probably be Jonny Flynn's legacy. Probably.

Just four years ago, Flynn captivated the country. He guided Syracuse over Connecticut in a thrilling six-overtime victory in the Big East tournament. "When we were down and out, he made plays to get us ahead," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said about that night. "That was one of the finest games I've seen from a point guard against a really good defensive team." If you were a basketball fan and missed the start of that game, chances are you were glued to your television by its end. "I'm not sure that he goes into the draft if that game doesn't happen and I know for sure he doesn't go as high as sixth if that game doesn't take place," said Mike Waters, the longtime Syracuse basketball beat reporter for the Post-Standard. "The fact that it was at Madison Square Garden in a tournament format, against somebody like Connecticut on national TV with NBA scouts attending the tournament, a game like that happens and all of a sudden you're the focus of the nation."

That night, one could measure Flynn's playing time by the hour — he logged one hour and seven minutes against Connecticut. In that Clippers summer league game, his play could be measured by the second — 78, to be exact, against the Hawks. Flynn had shown up hoping to prove his health. Players, executives, and coaches who had not seen Flynn as he languished in professional basketball's periphery, first as trade fodder, and then all the way down in Australia, asked the same question in Vegas: Was his hip healthy? He says yes. But in NBA circles, it's show-and-prove. Flynn is still young, only 24, and determined to regain the dynamite-in-a-bottle point guard form he flashed during his rookie season. Showing all that in a measly 78 seconds isn't easy.

The final moments of that game slipped away, inconsequential and quickly forgotten. In Vegas, these games are mostly meaningless, unless you're playing in them. The participants are the NBA's dutiful dreamers: draft picks, journeymen, and roster flotsam who will remember this time fondly. It's the closest many of them will ever come to the NBA. So how did a lottery pick who started 81 games as a rookie end up here?

Flynn became a victim of an unlikely injury and then a casualty of unfortunate circumstance. It would be nearly impossible to replicate the scenario that derailed his career. NBA teams spend millions annually to globally scout, unearth, and project potential draft picks. Still, Flynn flamed out. Now he's trying to right his career.

He told a reporter after the game about his summer goal. "Once in the NBA you get marked as damaged goods, it's like a big X is on your forehead and nobody wants to deal with you," Flynn said from a corner of the Cox Pavilion shortly before the national anthem signaled the beginning of another game. "Just to get up and down the court and show people that I can still play the game and that I'm healthy and that I've been healthy for years."

continued at link, and pretty good read.

makes me wonder if this isn't the low risk high reward type of move we should consider.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Re: Johnny Flynn - forgotten man. Low risk, high reward?

Postby Sirron on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:14 pm

If he did work out well, you'd be able to consider moving Blake for a draft pick possibly. Nash isn't going to be around forever, and not sure Farmar is ever going to be the starter we need.
Sirron

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:35 pm

That was an excellent read. At this rate, just trying to exhaust what left of Flynn's "lottery" potential with a minimum contract or training camp invite is worth it, but we're loaded at PG. But there's that whole Syracuse fudge factor thing going on, because besides Melo, it's bust central.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby therealdeal on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:31 am

I would think with Farmar, Blake, and Nash there's really no room there. Not to mention we've got other needs that need satisfying, namely at the forward position.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby bigdog2013 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:52 am

He is worth a camp invite. He might do well here.
bigdog2013

Postby Sirron on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:05 pm

therealdeal wrote:I would think with Farmar, Blake, and Nash there's really no room there. Not to mention we've got other needs that need satisfying, namely at the forward position.

I agree, but I would think trading Blake for a draft pick might make sense. Substantial cap savings, and we'd have three players capable of creating off of the dribble. Just a thought, but the potential upside seemed like it might be worth considering. Getting a talent like that around some seasoned vets could make all the difference in the world if you have a thick skulled talented youngin.
Sirron

Postby therealdeal on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:13 pm

Sirron wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I would think with Farmar, Blake, and Nash there's really no room there. Not to mention we've got other needs that need satisfying, namely at the forward position.

I agree, but I would think trading Blake for a draft pick might make sense. Substantial cap savings, and we'd have three players capable of creating off of the dribble. Just a thought, but the potential upside seemed like it might be worth considering. Getting a talent like that around some seasoned vets could make all the difference in the world if you have a thick skulled talented youngin.

I agree, I just think that at this point I'd rather worry about what we're doing to fill the forward spots.

I think that your plan would be consistent with what we're trying to do this season though.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:08 pm

I wouldn't mind him, but the problem is that we already have 3 PG's
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby the MDE on Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:15 pm

I wanted Flynn a year or two ago, when Bagel was struggling. The only way it'd happen now is if Blake gets traded.
"When I do come back in shape and physically fit and focused, I don't think there should be anything that's going to stop me" - Lamar Odom
the MDE

Postby Frank Dux on Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:53 pm

It seems like the term "low risk, high reward" gets tagged on every washed up player in the league. Flynn is low risk, "meh" reward.
Frank Dux

Postby khmrP on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Frank Dux wrote:It seems like the term "low risk, high reward" gets tagged on every washed up player in the league. Flynn is low risk, "meh" reward.

preach :jam2: that tag has been passed around a lot lately with the likes of CDR, to Beasly and now Flynn.
khmrP

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:57 pm

we have a lot of capable PG's. I really think we need to add a vet 4. I wouldn't be opposed to signing him for real cheap but he'd warm the bench really. he'd be Darius Morris incase of injuries. Beasley would be the ideal last guy to sign for vet min or Odom. but that's it really. only one of those, preferably Beasley (if let go by suns) would be worth spending $ and our last spot
Ariza3

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:03 pm

At this point in free agency I don't think you can worry about need as much as bpa.. Especially if the bpa is young with untapped potential.. I would argue that Tyrus Thomas, a 26 year old shotblocking PF is the most obvious signing out there & bpa at this point, but we haven't shown a bit of interest in him, so I wouldn't mind taking a gamble on Flynn..

I still like Flynn & think he's probably a better prospect than we'll find at other positions due to the league being so loaded with PG's.. Yes, we could use a PF, but if you can sign a young guy with untapped potential, you do it regardless of need. Especially when Nash is 40 & Blake is expiring. I don't think Blake/Farmar is much of a downgrade offensively, Farmar steps in & becomes our 40% 3 point bomber & we get much better defensively.

We'd have an army of PG's but if he was able to produce for us it'd give us a ton of options.. D'antoni is a great PG coach, we saw how much he elevated Blake & even Duhon at times last season had some 10 assist games.. I have extremely high hopes for Farmar under D'antoni.. No more triangle to restrict him + a PG dominant coach that seems to make guys better.. Jordan has a solid 3 ball which D'antoni will push him to exploit & can get to the rim when he wants to.. He's still pretty athletic & plays smart team defense.. His playmaking ability hasn't ever looked TOO amazing but I think that's where D'antoni comes in.. If D'antoni can bring the passing potential out of him, I think he can start.

Maybe we can find some team dumb enough to take on Nash & roll with Farmar/Blake/Flynn.. Of course the alternative is dumping Blake but if we can get rid of the older player with the longer & larger contract, I think that's the best move for us. Even if Nash has a great season for us, we're either going to have to waive him to use the stretch provision next summer or pay him that entire 10M & take that gamble 1 more time.. I still believe completely that we're a playoff team as long as Kobe returns to being Kobe, but we aren't winning a ring this season. Might as well trade Nash for cap savings & a pick or younger player getting paid similar money that has a better chance at still being here after the reload next summer.. We could send him to any of the Cali teams or back to Phx without moving him away from his kids, or send him to retire in Canada if he's open to that.. If we would somehow steal Terrance Ross or a similar prospect from another team for Nash, it's a no brainer.
lakersin4

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Reading the rest of that article in the link, they had some Rambis quotes about coaching Flynn his rookie season.. They butted heads but could this be another Wes Johnson situation where Rambo helps sway a FA? That rookie season with Rambis was his best by far, & I know that has alot to do with health & other things, but maybe it's enough to sway him to take the minimum from us instead of a more "sure thing" contender. This time around with D'antoni as the head coach, surely Flynn isn't going to be unhappy with the system like he was Rambis' attempt at the triangle, or whatever that was.
lakersin4

Return to Lakers Discussion