Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby thkthebest on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:27 am

That's really not the why people are arguing against you.

You were talking about Lin's and Clarkson's athleticism, which is a legitimate argument. From there, you concluded that Clarkson has more potential. Others disagree based upon how much impact they believe certain aspects of the game have. However, from there, you went on to exaggerate beyond belief by giving Kobe, Kevin Hart's body...as if that's an argument.

Hey, if Shaq was 4 feet tall, he wouldn't have been as great. Well, um, yea. So what? Is that supposed to be an argument?

We're not comparing these athletes to average Joes. We're comparing them to other NBA players and talking about NBA athleticism. At this level, a significant portion of the group are already very, very athletic, and at this level, the differences between one player's athleticism to another's is not the same as giving Kobe a 5'6" body. You can create (and have created) better arguments than that, but every time you resort to these antics, people will take you less and less seriously.
My signature
thkthebest

 
Posts: 3950
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:46 am

thkthebest wrote:That's really not the why people are arguing against you.

You were talking about Lin's and Clarkson's athleticism, which is a legitimate argument. From there, you concluded that Clarkson has more potential. Others disagree based upon how much impact they believe certain aspects of the game have. However, from there, you went on to exaggerate beyond belief by giving Kobe, Kevin Hart's body...as if that's an argument.

Hey, if Shaq was 4 feet tall, he wouldn't have been as great. Well, um, yea. So what? Is that supposed to be an argument?

We're not comparing these athletes to average Joes. We're comparing them to other NBA players and talking about NBA athleticism. At this level, a significant portion of the group are already very, very athletic, and at this level, the differences between one player's athleticism to another's is not the same as giving Kobe a 5'6" body. You can create (and have created) better arguments than that, but every time you resort to these antics, people will take you less and less seriously.


My point about the height thing was to show that it's not JUST about skills for Kobe. That it also takes being blessed with the right height and athletic talents. And that no amount of skills will help Kobe compensate if he is much shorter than his ideal height/size/athleticism for a SG. That was my point. To show that at the highest level, it all matters, from height, length, athleticism and skills. Not just skills. Not just athleticism. But a combination of everything.

So it does get a bit annoying when people point purely to his skills as if that's the only reason why he was great. Hey, he was also great because he was blessed with being 6'6" and athletic as hell. Yes, his work ethic, drive and amazing skills helped him maximize his talents but still, it's not just his skills that made him what he is. It's a combination of everything. That's all I'm saying.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby trodgers on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:18 am

LGL, is it possible that you don't write things clearly and like to antagonize? Or is it more likely that everyone misunderstands you? If you're saying that athleticism matters, then you'll find no one disagreeing with you. So chances are that's not what's coming across. So either it's not coming across because you're not saying it, you're not saying it clearly, or everyone has a problem reading and comprehending. I'm suggesting it's one of the first two, and I'm not sure which.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46529
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby TIME on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:28 am

trodgers wrote:LGL, is it possible that you don't write things clearly and like to antagonize? Or is it more likely that everyone misunderstands you? If you're saying that athleticism matters, then you'll find no one disagreeing with you. So chances are that's not what's coming across. So either it's not coming across because you're not saying it, you're not saying it clearly, or everyone has a problem reading and comprehending. I'm suggesting it's one of the first two, and I'm not sure which.


I vote for option #3.

This is LGL's world and we are all just confused in it.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9471
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:31 am

trodgers wrote:LGL, is it possible that you don't write things clearly and like to antagonize? Or is it more likely that everyone misunderstands you? If you're saying that athleticism matters, then you'll find no one disagreeing with you. So chances are that's not what's coming across. So either it's not coming across because you're not saying it, you're not saying it clearly, or everyone has a problem reading and comprehending. I'm suggesting it's one of the first two, and I'm not sure which.


Plenty of people bash me for stressing athleticism on this board. I do find it amusing sometimes because it's such accepted knowledge but I keep having to defend the importance of athleticism for some reason on this board.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby NomisR on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:39 pm

thkthebest wrote:That's really not the why people are arguing against you.

You were talking about Lin's and Clarkson's athleticism, which is a legitimate argument. From there, you concluded that Clarkson has more potential. Others disagree based upon how much impact they believe certain aspects of the game have. However, from there, you went on to exaggerate beyond belief by giving Kobe, Kevin Hart's body...as if that's an argument.

.


And then there's stats that would also question the athleticism part too.

Considering based on the combine #, Lin is just as fast as players like Irving or Wall, and he's ranked as a +5 player by Basketball Prospectus in terms of athleticism, it doesn't seem like Lin's a bad athlete. But skin color gives him a -10 regardless of #s I suppose.
NomisR

 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:42 am

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
trodgers wrote:LGL, is it possible that you don't write things clearly and like to antagonize? Or is it more likely that everyone misunderstands you? If you're saying that athleticism matters, then you'll find no one disagreeing with you. So chances are that's not what's coming across. So either it's not coming across because you're not saying it, you're not saying it clearly, or everyone has a problem reading and comprehending. I'm suggesting it's one of the first two, and I'm not sure which.


Plenty of people bash me for stressing athleticism on this board. I do find it amusing sometimes because it's such accepted knowledge but I keep having to defend the importance of athleticism for some reason on this board.

Did you actually read what trodgers wrote? He's giving you extremely fair criticism. Please read what he has to say and think about it. If you're saying athleticism is important, nobody on this site will disagree with you. There is a basic understanding that NBA players are very athletic.

However, just about everybody on this board continues arguing with you. Now are they arguing because they think athleticism isn't important? Or are they arguing because that's not the point you're making?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40327
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:53 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:
trodgers wrote:LGL, is it possible that you don't write things clearly and like to antagonize? Or is it more likely that everyone misunderstands you? If you're saying that athleticism matters, then you'll find no one disagreeing with you. So chances are that's not what's coming across. So either it's not coming across because you're not saying it, you're not saying it clearly, or everyone has a problem reading and comprehending. I'm suggesting it's one of the first two, and I'm not sure which.


Plenty of people bash me for stressing athleticism on this board. I do find it amusing sometimes because it's such accepted knowledge but I keep having to defend the importance of athleticism for some reason on this board.

Did you actually read what trodgers wrote? He's giving you extremely fair criticism. Please read what he has to say and think about it. If you're saying athleticism is important, nobody on this site will disagree with you. There is a basic understanding that NBA players are very athletic.

However, just about everybody on this board continues arguing with you. Now are they arguing because they think athleticism isn't important? Or are they arguing because that's not the point you're making?


You guys mock me all the time about "athleticism". Lakerfan2 even has a picture of a guy say "athleticism" just to mock me. But anyways, if you guys are finally on board that athleticism is important at this level, my job is done.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby LooN3y on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:05 pm

i hope we can develop clarkson rather than give nash some minutes.


im sure byron will use nash accordingly, if hes able to play give and use his IQ to help make plays or if not come in and be a robert horry type player.


but clarkson looked good, he isnt hesitant and extremely confident, you can just see it on his shooting stroke.

he looked good playing off ball, which would mesh nicely if kobes handling the rock.
LooN3y

 
Posts: 830
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:17 pm

LooN3y wrote:i hope we can develop clarkson rather than give nash some minutes.


im sure byron will use nash accordingly, if hes able to play give and use his IQ to help make plays or if not come in and be a robert horry type player.


but clarkson looked good, he isnt hesitant and extremely confident, you can just see it on his shooting stroke.

he looked good playing off ball, which would mesh nicely if kobes handling the rock.


That's what surprised me during Summer League; his shooting. He shot 42% from the field and from the three point line. He needs to get stronger and develop his skill set defensively. He's looked better than I thought, though.

Also, I think there is a report that Pincus came out with that said we were going to sign him before training camp.
lukewaltonsdad

 
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby karacha on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:18 pm

Of course athleticism is extremely important. I don't think anyone here disagrees. But most of us think it's not the only important factor. Basketball smarts, instincts, strength, conditioning... everything is important. Nash was never super athletic in terms of jumping or sprinting ability, but he was still a superstar: his quickness, agility, IQ, court vision and stamina were amazing. Artest was a monster on D, and a solid offensive player, due to his great strength, defensive instincts and quick hands. There are many examples like this.

For a player like Swag, yeah -- athleticism is very important, so he can create his own shot, penetrate and dunk etc. For someone like Lin (guard) or Marc Gasol (center), it's slightly less important. It all depends on how one plays the game.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37464
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:36 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:
trodgers wrote:LGL, is it possible that you don't write things clearly and like to antagonize? Or is it more likely that everyone misunderstands you? If you're saying that athleticism matters, then you'll find no one disagreeing with you. So chances are that's not what's coming across. So either it's not coming across because you're not saying it, you're not saying it clearly, or everyone has a problem reading and comprehending. I'm suggesting it's one of the first two, and I'm not sure which.


Plenty of people bash me for stressing athleticism on this board. I do find it amusing sometimes because it's such accepted knowledge but I keep having to defend the importance of athleticism for some reason on this board.

Did you actually read what trodgers wrote? He's giving you extremely fair criticism. Please read what he has to say and think about it. If you're saying athleticism is important, nobody on this site will disagree with you. There is a basic understanding that NBA players are very athletic.

However, just about everybody on this board continues arguing with you. Now are they arguing because they think athleticism isn't important? Or are they arguing because that's not the point you're making?


You guys mock me all the time about "athleticism". Lakerfan2 even has a picture of a guy say "athleticism" just to mock me. But anyways, if you guys are finally on board that athleticism is important at this level, my job is done.

I haven't seen a single serious post on this site that says athleticism isn't important. Again you're failing to see the point. No one is teasing you by saying athleticism isn't important. They're saying athleticism isn't the only determining factor to someone's potential or ability level. So the question is: are you getting your point across that athleticism is important? Or are you not communicating that point well on this board?

Which do you think it is?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40327
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:40 pm

Athletes are supposed to be athletic, right?
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9887
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:46 pm

athleticism is overrated...#WARANDREMILLER :jam2:
.
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
User avatar
pound4pound1

 
Posts: 6337
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:47 am
Location: 818 LAKER NATION

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby TIME on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:06 pm

Image
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9471
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby laakers on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:35 pm

Does having a lot of brain cells count as being athletic?
User avatar
laakers

 
Posts: 2843
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: My home

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby Rooscooter on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:39 pm

laakers wrote:Does having a lot of brain cells count as being athletic?


Only if they're "fast twitch" ones.....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22924
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:14 pm

Rooscooter wrote:
laakers wrote:Does having a lot of brain cells count as being athletic?


Only if they're "fast twitch" ones.....


I don't know if explosive would count... :man10:
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9887
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby laakers on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:15 pm

Rooscooter wrote:
laakers wrote:Does having a lot of brain cells count as being athletic?


Only if they're "fast twitch" ones.....


Ah, yes. The quicker your neurons fire, the quicker your legs move. And the more you can jump er something.
User avatar
laakers

 
Posts: 2843
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: My home

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:32 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:
laakers wrote:Does having a lot of brain cells count as being athletic?


Only if they're "fast twitch" ones.....


I don't know if explosive would count... :man10:


I pretty explosive after I eat at Chipotle. Should I pound a few burritos and try out for the Lakers?
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9039
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby SFGOLDRUSHER on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:45 am

lol. okay yall, give the guy a break... were all fans&want the guy to pan out at the end of the day,I have the feeling he will surprise but until the season progresses along why waste time on making pre assumptions or over speculating. One thing I do must say is IMOPO, it wouldnt be a bad thing in the position that were in to let him come off the bench for Lin if he continues to flash his potential&is that close on the cusp while simply needing more experience to continue to grow.

Please dont start the argument hes not a true PG,in this days NBA theres plenty of hybrid attacking guards. PLUS, you could always have someone else be the primary ball handler to relieve that pressure off of him if that is some of yalls main concern. So were looking at Clarkson/Henry/N-Y0 off the bench which has the POTENTIAL to be solid.
User avatar
SFGOLDRUSHER

 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:28 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:50 pm

Thank you.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6380
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:18 pm

I'll be shocked if Clarkson isn't on the 8-9 man rotation by the end of the year. People should not confuse a guy like Clarkson with guys like D. Morris and Ebanks. Those guys were complete stiffs compared to Clarkson. They never had the NBA level athleticism to excel at this level while Clarkson does. The big question will be his shot. If it's anything close to his summer league play, his chances are that much better.

Just watch. Scott will properly evaluate this guy in the numerous practices from now until tip off and he will realize that this guy needs to play. He will perform well enough to crack the rotation. Maybe not immediately but eventually, his talents will force Scott to play him.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:15 pm

We'll see. Not as simple as you make it seem. What is between his ears when the bright lights of wearing the Lakers' home uniform, and even more tough, road uniform..... in rabid opposing arenas are shining on him? Comes with the territory. With the exception of 1 year, Sasha tore it up shooting. Always in practice but not translated to league NBA play. Ramon Sessions says :wave: as well. Slow, unathletic, older, 2nd time around 2 championship Fisher says :wave: as well. :man12:
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6380
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Jordan Clarkson Discussion

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:51 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:I'll be shocked if Clarkson isn't on the 8-9 man rotation by the end of the year. People should not confuse a guy like Clarkson with guys like D. Morris and Ebanks. Those guys were complete stiffs compared to Clarkson. They never had the NBA level athleticism to excel at this level while Clarkson does. The big question will be his shot. If it's anything close to his summer league play, his chances are that much better.

Just watch. Scott will properly evaluate this guy in the numerous practices from now until tip off and he will realize that this guy needs to play. He will perform well enough to crack the rotation. Maybe not immediately but eventually, his talents will force Scott to play him.


And you ask us why...
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9887
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.