Jordan Farmar Discussion:Signs with Clippers (31)

Re: Jordan Farmar Discussion: signing official (13)

Postby davriver290 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:47 pm

Now all we need is Lamar. Just come back dude, rebuild some of that chemistry that was lost when you guys left.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 2h
Jordan Farmar is having his press conference at noon on Friday at Lakers' facility
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Nashty Gal on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:03 pm

JSM wrote:
Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 2h
Jordan Farmar is having his press conference at noon on Friday at Lakers' facility

yay!
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby jlkr on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:37 pm

I don't see Blake being traded especially if they are not trading Nash. Nash isn't playing the full 82, hasn't in many years. So have to have a 3rd PG. May as well be Blake as I don't see any vast improvements on him who are available for what the team could give. Minutes can be rationed reasonably between Blake and Nash to keep them active all year and ready for the playoffs. Farmar will be the workhorse helping with that.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby slimjim on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:48 pm

^
Having nash/farmar/blake at the PG is nice and all... but the team is soo thin at SG/SF that blake needs to be put on the trading block.

Right now there are 3 bodies that can play SG/SF: Kobe, Young, Wesley. (Does meeks count? :man10: )

I see one starter amongst those 4 players, and realistically... he isn't going to be ready by the beginning of the season.
slimjim

Postby jlkr on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:33 pm

slimjim wrote:^
Having nash/farmar/blake at the PG is nice and all... but the team is soo thin at SG/SF that blake needs to be put on the trading block.

Right now there are 3 bodies that can play SG/SF: Kobe, Young, Wesley. (Does meeks count? :man10: )

I see one starter amongst those 4 players, and realistically... he isn't going to be ready by the beginning of the season.

Yes, Meeks counts. Love him or hate him, he'll be on the floor this season.

If Nash remains on the roster, Lakers must carry 3 PGs, otherwise they will be too thin there. Can't trade Blake unless they've got his equivalent or better coming somehow in addition to the coveted SF. Besides if healthy, Blake can play some backup 2 now and then.

Realistically, the Lakers now have 12 roster slots locked up assuming Ryan Kelly makes the team (I think he will, he's a prototype MDA-style player). Given that Kobe starts the season on the injury list, let's assume Mitch signs 2 more players so the team always has 13 active players. These spots will be filled by more swingmen-type merry minimums happy to take the Lakers' offer for the opportunity to play and be in LA. Wonder why Johnson and Young are so cheap? It's because players with their size and their athleticism but having limited game are mostly a dime a dozen now. I'm betting Mitch finds a couple more guys like that to fill out the roster.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby bigdog2013 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Nash probably wont play back to back games. So having 3 point guards is a good idea.
bigdog2013

Postby Armani on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Nash shouldn't play over 25 MPG next year. That's 23 minutes for the PG position, and we'll possibly have some SG minutes as well. MDA always runs an 8 man rotation, though... so wouldn't be surprised to see Farmar as a benchwarmer.
Armani

Postby XXIV on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:59 pm

Armani wrote:Nash shouldn't play over 25 MPG next year. That's 23 minutes for the PG position, and we'll possibly have some SG minutes as well. MDA always runs an 8 man rotation, though... so wouldn't be surprised to see Farmar as a benchwarmer.

I believe he ran more than an 8 man rotation dating back to his PHX days, hopefully he does the same this year. We can't afford him running our players into the ground but now that we have a much deeper team that really shouldn't be an issue.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:15 am

XXIV wrote:
Armani wrote:Nash shouldn't play over 25 MPG next year. That's 23 minutes for the PG position, and we'll possibly have some SG minutes as well. MDA always runs an 8 man rotation, though... so wouldn't be surprised to see Farmar as a benchwarmer.

I believe he ran more than an 8 man rotation dating back to his PHX days, hopefully he does the same this year. We can't afford him running our players into the ground but now that we have a much deeper team that really shouldn't be an issue.

He ran 9-10 deep in Phoenix during their best time span.

His problem isn't necessarily a short rotation, it's that when injuries hit he tends not to add a player in the rotation that wasn't already playing. It's a big problem, I admit, but it's not usually like he decides on 7-8 guys right away.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:32 am

^^^ Yeah.... great plan Dan. Overload the remaining healthy guys so eventually they are hurt too. :bang:
LTLakerFan

Postby nthydro on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:42 am

If Nash plays over 30 MPG, I'm afraid he'll end up in the retirement home by the end of the season.

And I find it ironic how a few years back Laker fans were so excited to see Blake replace Farmar. And now its the other way around :man10:
nthydro

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:50 am

nthydro wrote:

If Nash plays over 30 MPG, I'm afraid he'll end up in the retirement home by the end of the season.

And I find it ironic how a few years back Laker fans were so excited to see Blake replace Farmar. And now its the other way around :man10:

O How the tides have turned
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:03 pm

Just a reminder that Jordan's Press Conference is about to begin right here:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/live
Battle Tested20

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:23 pm

For those who missed the press conference Mitch spoke for about 5-6 min about how this whole thing came to happen. I will post these quotes because I doubt it will show up in the full Jordan interview video:

Lakerholicz ‏@Lakerholicz 13m

Mitch: "Weeks ago I got an unlikely phone call from (Farmar's) agent," says Jordan wanted to come back to Lakers, reached out to L.A.

Lakerholicz ‏@Lakerholicz 12m

Mitch said it didn't seem likely the Lakers would work out a deal seeing as Farmar made so much overseas. But Mitch met with Jordan...

Serena Winters ‏@SerenaWinters 12m

Kupchak says that Jordan Farmar's persistence on coming back was what really got this deal done.

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 11m

Kupchak: Farmar was very "persistent," "aggressive" in getting deal done, handling some "complicated" business w/his Turkish team himself.

Lakerholicz ‏@Lakerholicz 11m

Mitch joked that Jordan could take his GM job in a few years. Farmar worked out the majority of the buyout, he says.

Lakerholicz ‏@Lakerholicz 13m

Jordan pointed out to Mitch that he wore 5 then changed to 1, Mitch joked and said that's his "attention to detail - the guy in Turkey had no chance."

The biggest thing I noticed in the presser is just how much more mature he is. It's really amazing and he seems so much more at peace with everything.

Just like the Wesley Johnson press conference I will post the entire video of it later when it becomes available.
Battle Tested20

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:30 pm

I love the stuff he's said, seems he really wanted to be back here, and he at least appears have matured some

@Lakers: Farmar took a pay cut to be back with the Lakers, but is excited about the opportunity: "It feels very familiar. Almost like I never left."

@LakersReporter: Farmar: "I've been watching the Lakers since the moment I left. Just feeling that's where I belong, where I feel most comfortable."

@LakersReporter: Farmar's experience overseas helped him in one key area: playing a ton of pick and roll basketball. He didn't do so in the triangle.

@Lakers: Farmar spent a lot of his time overseas focusing on defense, "That's an area I really want to focus on & contribute this time around."

@Lakers: Farmar has been eying the Lakers, told his agents: "There's a lot of jobs out there in the NBA, but this is really where I want to be."

@LakersReporter: Farmar feels his D grew considerably in Europe due to the focus on that end from his coaches. Big emphasis on not getting beat.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm really hopeful for Jordan and I like this signing more and more. I'm hoping he comes through and has a really nice season for us.

His change of pace behind Steve should really be fun to watch. A lineup of Farmar, Young, Johnson, and Hill could really be exciting. Not a whole lot of good basketball, but certainly a whole lot of excitement. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:20 pm

:man10: Farmar's crazy, but hey I'll take enthusiasm over indifference.

@KamBrothers: Farmar is Bizarro-Dwight. AK RT @DrewGarrisonSBN: "Coming up and being young I dreamed of being in Mike D'Antonis system." - Jordan Farmar

I hope this means if he plays well we pay a little more to keep him around

@KevinDing: Farmar said he wouldn't have taken an NBA minimum salary to leave Turkey for anyone but Lakers. His view of Lakers: "That's where I belong."

But Nelly said nobody wants to play with Kobe, that's why nobody has ever come here as a free agent. I guess Farmar, Young, and Johnson are all lying about wanting to play with Kobe. Seriously though, we know Farmar didn't always do what Kobe wanted on the floor, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, we need some players/guards that won't just give the ball to Kobe every time he asks for it.

@LakersReporter: Farmar: a true competitor should love playing w/ @kobebryant. Farmar called his exp. being pushed by Kobe "amazing."
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Re: Jordan Farmar Discussion: Future Lakers' GM (14)

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Congrats to Farmar

@KevinDing: Farmar told me he and wife, Jill, expecting 2nd daughter any moment. Phoenix is 3. "I’ve grown tremendously as a person & basketball player"

Let's hope this, or at least close to this happens, I know he's older now but he's still only 26, would be nice to have one of our guards stay healthy for a change.

@KevinDing: Farmar, however, left and is now back. He played all 82 regular-season and 23 playoff games for Lakers in 2009-10.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:54 pm

He named his daughter Phoenix? That's cute.

I already like Jordan more now than I did when he was here the first time.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kit on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Weezy wrote::man10: Farmar's crazy, but hey I'll take enthusiasm over indifference.

@KamBrothers: Farmar is Bizarro-Dwight. AK RT @DrewGarrisonSBN: "Coming up and being young I dreamed of being in Mike D'Antonis system." - Jordan Farmar

I hope this means if he plays well we pay a little more to keep him around

@KevinDing: Farmar said he wouldn't have taken an NBA minimum salary to leave Turkey for anyone but Lakers. His view of Lakers: "That's where I belong."

But Nelly said nobody wants to play with Kobe, that's why nobody has ever come here as a free agent. I guess Farmar, Young, and Johnson are all lying about wanting to play with Kobe.

@LakersReporter: Farmar: a true competitor should love playing w/ @kobebryant. Farmar called his exp. being pushed by Kobe "amazing."

Nelly would reply, "THESE ARE ROLE PLAYERS!!!"
Kit

Postby TIME on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:10 pm

therealdeal wrote:I already like Jordan more now than I did when he was here the first time.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:49 pm

i really like how when he was talking about watching the lakers last year, he kept saying "we"..."we had a lot of injuries"..."we struggled with ___." guy never stopped being a laker in his brain. seems like he's had a lot more life and basketball experience under his belt. welcome home brother.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Juronimo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:55 pm

It is nice having players on this team that actually want to be here. I don't know how successful we'll be next season, but it should be a more fun team to watch.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:08 pm

kobe texted jordan

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion