Jordan Farmar Discussion: Career high 30 / 8-10 from 3

Jordan Farmar signs for Vet Min (Laker since birth! - pg 9)

Postby trodgers on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:53 am

Welcome back.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Re: Lakers Sign Jordan Farmar To Vet Min., Pending Buyout (p. 4)

Postby karacha on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:27 am

BadCoaching wrote:I've been so sick for a while now I haven't been able to keep up with the games.. is Farmar able to play anymore?

Farmar has improved his offensive game significantly. His shooting is better from pretty much anywhere on the court. He is still a quick, dynamic guard.

His decision making and defense are... well... about the same.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby chingy248 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:10 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Farmar , Kaman ... I thought we would do much worse to be honest ...

Farmar and Kaman > Nash and DeWhite :jam2:
chingy248

Postby chingy248 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:11 am

WTF is taking The Machine so long? He's been in LA for a month already. Hopefully with Farmar now on board, the dominoes will start to fall; Machine, Odom, Mbenga
chingy248

Postby Pig Miller on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:47 am

time to move either nash or blake for a wing player. who's available?
Pig Miller

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:15 am

Jordan Farmar has agreed to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers, the veteran guard told ESPNLosAngeles.com Tuesday night.

The sides agreed to a one-year, veteran minimum deal worth approximately $1 million. L.A. must first negotiate a buyout with Farmar's club in Turkey, Anadolu Efes, which is believed to be in the $500,000 range. The buyout does not count against the salary cap, an important detail to the luxury tax-laden Lakers.

The deal required a significant financial sacrifice by Farmar to be completed. The 6-foot-2, 180-pound guard signed a three-year, $10.5 million deal last summer to play in the Turkish Basketball League.

"They knew about my deal overseas and really didn't push it earlier because they didn't think I'd be willing to give up that guaranteed money I had over there," Farmar said in a phone interview with ESPNLosAngeles.com. "I wanted to be back in the NBA, but more importantly, back with the Lakers. This is the only situation I would have taken a minimum deal with."

Farmar, 26, grew up in L.A. and played his first four professional seasons with the Lakers after being drafted in the first round out of UCLA in 2006. He was a key reserve on the Lakers' championship teams in 2008-09 and 2009-10.

"I've been a Laker since I was born," Farmar said. "I grew up a Laker fan, so regardless of where I am or who I'm playing for, or what I'm doing in life, I'm always going to stay connected to what's going on here [in Los Angeles]."

After leaving L.A. as a free agent in 2010, he spent parts of two seasons with the New Jersey Nets, scoring a career-high 10.4 points per game on a career-best 44 percent 3-point shooting in 2011-12.

Farmar was traded to the Atlanta Hawks in the Joe Johnson deal after that season, but had his contract bought out and played last season with Anadolu Efes, averaging 13.8 points and 3.9 assists in 29 games played. Farmar also played seven games for Israel's Maccabi Electra of the EuroLeague during the NBA lockout in the summer of 2011.

"The plan for me was to get back to the NBA eventually regardless," Farmar said. "I really, really enjoyed my time in Israel. I thought it was a possibility that it would be exactly the same [in Turkey] and I would hop on over there and never look back and I would make good money overseas, but just being over there and staying up until 2, 3, 4 in the morning and watching every NBA game, or watching the Lakers go through what they were going through was just tough.

"I missed my family, I missed being home and, ultimately, I missed being a Laker." :jam2:

Farmar has played primarily at point guard throughout his NBA career, making him the third point guard on a Lakers team that already has Steve Nash and Steve Blake under contract. However, Farmar said he has spoken to coach Mike D'Antoni about playing some shooting guard as well, especially in the early going as Kobe Bryant recovers from a ruptured Achilles tendon.

"We talked about it a lot," Farmar said. "Me being able to play both positions and Steve Blake being able to play both positions, if we wanted to go small to move Kobe [Bryant] down [to small forward] and Jodie Meeks down and stuff like that [we could do that]. … It was important. [D'Antoni's] system is going to be to open it up and he wants to get a lot of guard play and decision-makers on the floor together at times."

Farmar gives L.A. nine players under contract for next season. Bryant, Nash, Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace, Blake, Jordan Hill, Jodie Meeks and Chris Kaman, whom L.A. agreed to ink to a deal when the league moratorium is lifted Wednesday, are the others.

They have also extended a qualifying offer to Robert Sacre, making him a restricted free agent, and drafted Ryan Kelly in the second round. If they both make the team, that puts the roster at 11. The roster could dip down back to 10 if L.A. decides to exercise its amnesty clause, with World Peace being the most likely candidate. It all adds up to the Lakers still looking to add three to four more players on veteran minimum deals before the season begins, while still maintaining their goal of having every player but Nash come off the books next summer in the hopes of making a major splash in free agency.

"I think it's a work in progress right now," Farmar said. "We're trying to put things together and still leave flexibility for the future."

Farmar said he is looking forward to slipping back into his No. 1 purple and gold uniform.

"I think it will be an amazing feeling, man," Farmar said. "At the end of the day, I'll always feel like I'm a Laker, regardless of I'm here or somewhere else. I'm happy just to be back and to be able to help this team go wherever we can this year and I would love to be here for the future, so we'll see how it works out."
Ariza3

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:27 am

Pig Miller wrote:time to move either nash or blake for a wing player. who's available?

Sign Odom.
Sign Machine.
Move Blake+Meeks for Ariza.

:man1:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:30 am

Ariza3 wrote:
Jordan Farmar has agreed to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers, the veteran guard told ESPNLosAngeles.com Tuesday night.

The sides agreed to a one-year, veteran minimum deal worth approximately $1 million. L.A. must first negotiate a buyout with Farmar's club in Turkey, Anadolu Efes, which is believed to be in the $500,000 range. The buyout does not count against the salary cap, an important detail to the luxury tax-laden Lakers.

The deal required a significant financial sacrifice by Farmar to be completed. The 6-foot-2, 180-pound guard signed a three-year, $10.5 million deal last summer to play in the Turkish Basketball League.

"They knew about my deal overseas and really didn't push it earlier because they didn't think I'd be willing to give up that guaranteed money I had over there," Farmar said in a phone interview with ESPNLosAngeles.com. "I wanted to be back in the NBA, but more importantly, back with the Lakers. This is the only situation I would have taken a minimum deal with."

Farmar, 26, grew up in L.A. and played his first four professional seasons with the Lakers after being drafted in the first round out of UCLA in 2006. He was a key reserve on the Lakers' championship teams in 2008-09 and 2009-10.

"I've been a Laker since I was born," Farmar said. "I grew up a Laker fan, so regardless of where I am or who I'm playing for, or what I'm doing in life, I'm always going to stay connected to what's going on here [in Los Angeles]."

After leaving L.A. as a free agent in 2010, he spent parts of two seasons with the New Jersey Nets, scoring a career-high 10.4 points per game on a career-best 44 percent 3-point shooting in 2011-12.

Farmar was traded to the Atlanta Hawks in the Joe Johnson deal after that season, but had his contract bought out and played last season with Anadolu Efes, averaging 13.8 points and 3.9 assists in 29 games played. Farmar also played seven games for Israel's Maccabi Electra of the EuroLeague during the NBA lockout in the summer of 2011.

"The plan for me was to get back to the NBA eventually regardless," Farmar said. "I really, really enjoyed my time in Israel. I thought it was a possibility that it would be exactly the same [in Turkey] and I would hop on over there and never look back and I would make good money overseas, but just being over there and staying up until 2, 3, 4 in the morning and watching every NBA game, or watching the Lakers go through what they were going through was just tough.

"I missed my family, I missed being home and, ultimately, I missed being a Laker." :jam2:

Farmar has played primarily at point guard throughout his NBA career, making him the third point guard on a Lakers team that already has Steve Nash and Steve Blake under contract. However, Farmar said he has spoken to coach Mike D'Antoni about playing some shooting guard as well, especially in the early going as Kobe Bryant recovers from a ruptured Achilles tendon.

"We talked about it a lot," Farmar said. "Me being able to play both positions and Steve Blake being able to play both positions, if we wanted to go small to move Kobe [Bryant] down [to small forward] and Jodie Meeks down and stuff like that [we could do that]. … It was important. [D'Antoni's] system is going to be to open it up and he wants to get a lot of guard play and decision-makers on the floor together at times."

Farmar gives L.A. nine players under contract for next season. Bryant, Nash, Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace, Blake, Jordan Hill, Jodie Meeks and Chris Kaman, whom L.A. agreed to ink to a deal when the league moratorium is lifted Wednesday, are the others.

They have also extended a qualifying offer to Robert Sacre, making him a restricted free agent, and drafted Ryan Kelly in the second round. If they both make the team, that puts the roster at 11. The roster could dip down back to 10 if L.A. decides to exercise its amnesty clause, with World Peace being the most likely candidate. It all adds up to the Lakers still looking to add three to four more players on veteran minimum deals before the season begins, while still maintaining their goal of having every player but Nash come off the books next summer in the hopes of making a major splash in free agency.

"I think it's a work in progress right now," Farmar said. "We're trying to put things together and still leave flexibility for the future."

Farmar said he is looking forward to slipping back into his No. 1 purple and gold uniform.

"I think it will be an amazing feeling, man," Farmar said. "At the end of the day, I'll always feel like I'm a Laker, regardless of I'm here or somewhere else. I'm happy just to be back and to be able to help this team go wherever we can this year and I would love to be here for the future, so we'll see how it works out."

After reading this...don't want to set my expectations too high...but I think we're taking it all this year.
Savory Griddles

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:52 am

I actually really like this addition... Farmar is giving up a 3yr/$10mil contract to come back to LA for 1yr/$1Mil.

That says to me he really wants to be here & he'll be motivated to earn himself a permanent spot on the team as they start to rebuild in 2014... Welcome back Jordan.
LakerFanIam

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:00 am

LakerFanIam wrote:I actually really like this addition... Farmar is giving up a 3yr/$10mil contract to come back to LA for 1yr/$1Mil.

That says to me he really wants to be here & he'll be motivated to earn himself a permanent spot on the team as they start to rebuild in 2014... Welcome back Jordan.

If he proves still capable and productive, I wouldn't mind him next year as a backup at the same contract rate with the last year Team Option/Partially Guaranteed.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Damian Necronamous on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:16 am

Love the signing. Bring Odom back and it will at least be a team that the fans can cheer for and be proud of.

I would think this means that we'll look to deal Blake for a swing man, but we'll see.
Damian Necronamous

Postby raviator on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:19 am

The fact that he wants to be a Laker says a lot. I like it.
raviator

Postby chingy248 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:24 am

chingy248

Postby davriver290 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:42 am

say what you will about our past roster....They had more chemistry then we did with Dwight, Meeks, Jamison, etc...
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:09 am

Jordan is a talented player and has some athleticism. Obviously I haven't seen him play in some years, but I could see him fitting in with D' Antoni to some extent. I think Blake is the better fit overall though as evidenced last year. Just don't know if he can ever stay healthy for a full season.

I don't mind this signing at all. Much better than Morris!
Lakerjones

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:22 am

Savory Griddles wrote:After reading this...don't want to set my expectations too high...but I think we're taking it all this year.

By "all" do you mean all the ping pong balls? :man10:
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:30 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:After reading this...don't want to set my expectations too high...but I think we're taking it all this year.

By "all" do you mean all the ping pong balls? :man10:

"All" the ping pong balls would be a HELL of a consolation prize (picks 1-14 ain't bad). :man12:
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby trodgers on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:36 am

Farmar's Six Years in the League

SCORING EFFICIENCY
Farmar can score reasonably well. Our leading PG scorers the past few years were Sessions at 5.65, Goudelock two years agao (5.43), Nash at 5.5, and then no one over 4.8. Farmar has never been below 4.8, and he has been as high as 6.0 - he can get the job done in this department.

PASSING EFFICIENCY
Sessions and Nash led the team the past two years with 4.0 (both of them). Farmar has done that but only once. Meanwhile, the 2.8 he posted one season is awful. Throwing out those anomalies, Farmar is in the 3.3 range. That's right where Fisher and Blake have been for LA.

HUSTLE EFFICIENCY
Little guys do notoriously poor in this stat, but Fisher led the team two seasons ago at 2.0, while Goudelock was last at 1.4. This past season, all of our PGs were in the 1.8 (Nash/Duhon) to 2.4 (Morris) range. So Farmar's numbers are pretty solid.

OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY
Our team leaders in the past two seasons have been Sessions (80) and Nash (77). Blake has posted 55 and 64, Morris 51 and 58, Goudelock 40, and Duhon 55. So Farmar again looks like he'll be an upgrade over most of the positional players.

POINTS PER POSSESSION
These are estimates with Farmar. I'm using dummy numbers for how many three-pointers he assisted on, and I'm not including any and-1s that would increase his PPP. When I stopped tracking this stat last year, Nash was at 1.44, Blake 1.32, Duhon 1.51, but the team was about 1.13, Kobe at 1.19, Howard 1.05, and most other players around the 1.10 mark (Ebanks 0.86!). So Farmar's decision-making comes off closer to a combo guard than a PG. No biggie.

DEFENSIVE PER
15.2 at PG (17.0 Team vs. PG) +1.8
16.5 at PG (16.5 Team vs. PG) +0.0
16.6 at PG (16.4 Team vs. PG) -0.2
15.6 at PG (17.6 Team vs. PG) +2.0
17.5 at PG (16.4 Team vs. PG) -1.1
19.9 at PG (18.5 Team vs. PG) -1.4
Farmar's defensive numbers are not good, but he has twice been well above the team average, twice below, and twice right on. I don't think he'll be a defensive liability (compared to Nash), but he will struggle. BTW, his numbers vs. SGs in years 5 and 6 are better than his numbers vs. PGs.

ON/OFF
+2.3 (41-win team)
+1.5 (57-wins, lost Finals)
-9.7 (won a chip)
-4.3 (won a chip)
-0.1 (24-win team, backed up Devin Harris)
-4.7 (22-win, strike shortened, backed up Deron Williams)
Teams were better with Farmar on the court his first two seasons. Then he played on two awesome teams. In his final two seasons, he wasn't much different from when Harris was on court, but it was far worse than when Deron was on court.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 am

Great stuff there t.

I'm really down with this signing and I'm hoping that he comes in with some pep in his step. I know he's probably not as athletic as he once was, but he's in a place where he's happier now and I think that'll show through a little bit.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Damian Necronamous on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 am

Now that Corey Brewer is going to the Wolves, we should seriously pursue signing Odom and Martin, and trading Hill for Derrick Williams.

Nash/Blake/Farmar
Kobe/Meeks
Williams/MWP
Odom/K-Mart
Gasol/Kaman

That team really isn't half bad at all. It would still put butts in seats.
Damian Necronamous

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:51 am

Hill is worth about 6 Derrick Williamses.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:35 am

why people keep thinking DWill is a 3? Dude is a classic tweener but better as a 4, evident by his increase stats playing the 4 once Love went out with his injuries.
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:39 am

Why do people keep trying to trade Hill? And if we did, which we shouldn't, we need to pump his value up this season and let him show off his skills. We would be selling low right now.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby jlkr on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:58 am

cant have too much depth for older players who are injury-prone. so I like the Farmar signing in that respect. Not counting on both Blake and Nash to stay healthy all the time. Think both of the older PG's will need their minutes limited to preserve them for the entire season. So that's an opportunity for Farmar to step up.
Some try to tell me
Thoughts they cannot defend...
--Hayward
jlkr

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:01 pm

jlkr wrote:cant have too much depth for older players who are injury-prone. so I like the Farmar signing in that respect. Not counting on both Blake and Nash to stay healthy all the time. Think both of the older PG's will need their minutes limited to preserve them for the entire season. So that's an opportunity for Farmar to step up.

And I wouldn't be too surprised to find out the Lakers were trying to move Blake.
Savory Griddles

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion