Jordan Hill Discussion: Struggling in the new season

Re: J-Hill: Still a Laker

Postby Juronimo on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:16 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:So was Jordan playing 6+ minutes against Memphis (with Kaman unavailable) because he had some injury or just Dan being Dan?

Well some don't call him "damfony" for no reason. I wonder if he's being told by the FO to play nonsensical rotations in order to intentionally lose games or if damfony is really this incompetent. No one can be this incompetent. But then again his coaching ineptitude precedes the Lakers.

Run run run!!!

:bang: :mad1: :man6:

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:49 pm

It's going to suck if he's gone next year.

9/14/4, going all out and sticking up for his teammates. If he doesn't stay here, hopefully he gets to a contender (Not Miami) and flourish in a role MDA would not give him.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:58 pm

Bulls? Assuming Boozer is gone. That would be a good place for him.

F*** that I want him to stay a Laker.
Chillbongo

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:13 pm

^^^ I would love if he went to the Bulls. I could definitely support him if played for them. Love that style of play, he would fit perfectly.

And I also agree that he needs to be a Laker next season and beyond.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:14 pm

I'd like him to stay if possible as well. Hill is a solid player and I like the effort he brings at both the PF and backup Center positions. Just don't know if we can afford him.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:56 am

good job backing nick young up.
Ariza3

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:03 am

Joakim Noah and Jordan Hill : The red bull brothers
wcsoldier81

Postby Center Court on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:05 am

Jordan is guy who every championship level team needs. Big man with all out hustle, toughness, rebounding, and fight.

Hopefully once MDA is gone, we'll see a very different level of interest for Hill staying here.

I know we want to preserve cap space but given we're not really perusing any free agents this year, I'd love to see us front load the contracts of the guys we want to keep around for the next few years (Hill, Young). Hill, Young, Bazemore, Farmar, Xavier, Sacre, Kelly, Marshall. I think that's an adequate bench.
Center Court

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:31 am

even if we did have the $ dantoni would let him rot on the bench and not utilize this amazing talent. dude hustles for 48 mins and the numbers he puts up are ridiculous. there are not many players who can do what he does and put up those stats in those limited minutes. i love his effort and heart and it sucks dantoni feels he cant use him. i can see him on a bulls team where hed be valued and used for 20 mins and get them far in the playoffs.

id love for him to stay but datoni loves sacre and ryan kelly. rather have hill than sacre honestly. poor kaman doesnt even see daytime. hill has more than earned a spot and playing time on this team.
Ariza3

Postby escobar8 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:34 am

i liked hill running like the bull to help his teamate...plus he and gortart played that one classy...
i would love if he stayed, if the price is right...
escobar8

Postby Armani on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:29 pm

Hill hasn't really shown that he can be a reliable starter. I'll take him back as the 3rd big man in our rotation under a different coach, though. Restrict him to around 20 MPG.
Armani

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:53 pm

If they're going to fire D'antoni I hope they do it as soon as the season ends so we atleast have a shot at retaining Hill.. He might still get paid more than we can afford before we have our superstars in place, but if he can be kept for around his current salary under a different coach I hope we do it.
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Doc Brown

Postby denimPortugal on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:03 am

Huge game!! :bow:
denimPortugal

Postby denimPortugal on Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:17 pm

28\16 and counting...
denimPortugal

Re: J-Hill: HOF material (Ham on fire!)

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:45 pm

Only team in the league that would want to get rid of Hill. Thanks a lot MDA. :disagree:

Bring him back please. Sign a vet min big to back him up + Sacre and let's go to work and try to get better at other positions.
Doc Brown

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:12 pm

If I'm a frontline player on this team....I'm so annoyed.

The Bucks who are the 3rd worst at scoring points per game (95.3), put up 108 on us.

Their starting guards lit us up (52 points on 31 shots). They went to the line 34 times compared to our 18. Our guards shoot the 3ball, while theirs penetrates the paint. When our guards play zero resistance out on the perimeter, its normally our frontline that appears to get exposed on defense. When the lowly Bucks are putting up 108 on us at a 57% clip, their shots are obviously alot more high percentage than ours.

But that's the brilliance of this offense....and thankfully for us, Hill still has his athleticism to rely on where he can gobble up the offensive boards ( he had 9, which was more than his dboards) off those stupid low percentage shots our guards put up.

This system and how it "develops" players is absolutely laughable. Hopefully guys like Hill come back...but I wouldn't blame him if he starts running for the hills. :man1:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:29 am

Hill was also beat repeatedly by those same guards. I mean I know he's being put in a tough position, but there was no rim protection last night and some of that falls on Hill, Sacre, Kelly, and Kaman.

That being said, Hill did exactly what I love to see: attack the glass and finish shots at a high percentage. Good game from him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:23 am

Doc Brown wrote:Only team in the league that would want to get rid of Hill. Thanks a lot MDA. :disagree:

Bring him back please. Sign a vet min big to back him up + Sacre and let's go to work and try to get better at other positions.

Hill is a great player to keep if we magically land Serge Ibaka.. You need a legit rim protector next to Hill, but if that rim protector is a C who can't run the floor (Gortat, Asik) we become too slow on defense with both of them in the lineup.. I'm not saying we should let him walk, but it's not going to be easy as bringing in a vet min. player to backup Hill & Sacre.
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Yea we need a legit rim protector, a SF, a PG, a bench, a coach

You can't have everything.
Doc Brown

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:33 pm

therealdeal wrote:Hill was also beat repeatedly by those same guards. I mean I know he's being put in a tough position, but there was no rim protection last night and some of that falls on Hill, Sacre, Kelly, and Kaman.

That being said, Hill did exactly what I love to see: attack the glass and finish shots at a high percentage. Good game from him.

Nah, same thing happened with Dwight.

It's the system.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:52 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Yea we need a legit rim protector, a SF, a PG, a bench, a coach

You can't have everything.

Very true.. Like I said, I'm not advocating for not bringing Hill back.. He's just not an easy piece to build a frontcourt around.. If he was smaller & more mobile with the motor he has like Faried it would be easier to just stick a starting C next to him.. If he could block shots it would be easier to just start him at C & pick up a PF. Of course if we bring in a coach who really values defense & holds players accountable for their shortcomings on that end, not having a legit rim protector isn't as big of a deal.
LakersN4

Postby Armani on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:03 pm

Hill's problem is that he can't produce consistently enough in an 82 game season to start. That, and his defense is nothing special. D'Antoni leaving won't be enough... this team needs a completely different attitude on the defensive end. A big man like Roy Hibbert or a coach like Thibs. Some kind of player/coach that really forces everyone on the team to think defense.
Armani

Postby Jellincon on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:26 am

Jordan Hill has no interest returning to the Lakers with same role
Posted on April 2, 2014 by Mark Medina

Through all the missed defensive rotations, the absent rim protection and a missing source of energy, Jordan Hill sat on the bench without any chance to fill those needs.

Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni gave Chris Kaman and Pau Gasol a chance to start together in the team’s 124-112 loss Tuesday to the Portland Trail Blazers, but the sudden willingness of faith both exposed the tandem’s rustiness and left Hill among the few falling out of the rotation.

“It gets old,” Hill said, mindful he had posted 28 points in Milwaukee just five days earlier. “It’s what you can expect, though. It’s not a surprise. I can’t do nothing, but stay humble and continue to keep my head high and support my team.”

Yet, it appears clear that Hill has no interest in filling that role long-term. He said “it’s too early to say” on where he would like to play once he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer. Hill also called the Lakers “the best franchise in the NBA.” Though he did not rule out returning to the Lakers next season, Hill made it clear he has no interest in doing so if it means having a similar role.

“Of course not,” Hill said. “Who would?”

Hill did not explicitly say it. But if D’Antoni were to return to coach, that surely cements Hill’s interest in leaving. He has averaged a solid 8.8 points and 7.1 assists in 19.8 minutes this season. But his playing time has waned this season for reasons including fatigue, a recent knee injury and becoming a casualty of D’Antoni’s system that puts a high premium on floor spacers and outside shooters.

Hill’s absence against Portland happened, however, reflected the byproduct of D’Antoni featuring Gasol and Kaman in the frontcourt while still giving playing time to Ryan Kelly (nine points and nine rebounds in 20 minutes) and Robert Sacre (three points and six rebounds in 18 minutes).

“There’s not enough minutes,” D’Antoni said. “You look at the minutes. To give them ample opportunities, you have to have some minutes. You can’t just play 12 guys and be in and out, in and out, in and out. That just doesn’t work. You have to make choices. You don’t know beforehand if it’s the right choice. You probably know afterwards. You just go on your gut and go on what you see from previous games and go on the opponent and try to make the best choice you can.”

Hill hardly liked that reality. But he stressed that his frustrations stemmed more from not having a chance to contribute than any issues with D’Antoni.

“I didn’t really see it coming. But I still wasn’t surprised,” Hill said. “The rotation has been up and down. Mike is an excellent dude and he is our coach. You have to show the utmost respect for him and for what he’s doing. I like this team and everybody on this team. So I’ll be supportive.”

Hill said he has that mindset partly because it appears inevitable he will return again to the court. After all, the Lakers have fielded 33 different starting lineups amid endless injuries and inconsistent play.

“It’s been like this for the whole season,” Hill said. “It shouldn’t a surprise to anyone. You have to stay strong basically.”

Yet, it’s a role Hill has no interest in playing wherever he goes next season.

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2014/04/02/jordan-hill-has-no-interest-returning-to-the-lakers-with-same-role/
Jellincon

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:30 am

Give me Hill. Take away D'Antoni.

I like Sacre a lot, but Hill is a better player. If there's only 15 minutes available after the starters get their minutes, all of those minutes should go to Hill. Sacre is a great 3rd big, but Hill is at worst a rotation player on a good team.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion