Jordan Hill Discussion: Back for 2 yr/$18 mil

Re: Jordan Hill Discussion: Doing work

Postby therealdeal on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:35 pm

I'd rather trade him now if it meant we could get a star back then wait until this summer to discover someone is willing to spend 8-9-10 million for 3-4 years on him and he leaves for nothing.

If we can't get a star back, then I'll take my chances on him in free agency.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Hill will not get Larry Sanders money. IMO he should get something in the ball park of 3 yr/$24M. His health and consistency being large question marks. A nice string of 10 games isn't enough to warrant $10M a year. A team might overpay him, however. We have to at least be in the same range as other teams are offering.
Last edited by Chillbongo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chillbongo

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:41 pm

therealdeal wrote:I'd rather trade him now if it meant we could get a star back then wait until this summer to discover someone is willing to spend 8-9-10 million for 3-4 years on him and he leaves for nothing.

Yes I would HATE for that to happen but if we're going to lose Hill to a team overpaying him, then by all means. And it's not out of the question to think a team would overpay. Hindsight is 20/20 so we'll never know until it's too late. The key with this idea being that the supertar we get in return is absolutely worth it (Rondo, Love, etc). On the other hand it's tough because we've been wanting a guy like Hill on our roster since Turiaf left but you make the deal if you get a star in return.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I'd rather trade him now if it meant we could get a star back then wait until this summer to discover someone is willing to spend 8-9-10 million for 3-4 years on him and he leaves for nothing.

Yes I would HATE for that to happen but if we're going to lose Hill to a team overpaying him, then by all means. And it's not out of the question to think a team would overpay. Hindsight is 20/20 so we'll never know until it's too late. The key with this idea being that the supertar we get in return is absolutely worth it (Rondo, Love, etc). On the other hand it's tough because we've been wanting a guy like Hill on our roster since Turiaf left but you make the deal if you get a star in return.

I mean there's a chance that Hill is just hot right now and he cools off and turns back into a player that we all expected him to be. Something like Earl Clark. If Hill can be re-signed this off-season for 5-6 million or something, then the Lakers will bring him back.

But if we're looking at a steep price (which we should know more by the deadline) then it'd be in the Lakers best interest to move him for a great young player in a deal if they can.

Obviously you don't trade him for Rudy Gay. You see if Hill can be used as a centerpiece to pry away a Rondo or something. If he can, then do it, if he can't then take your chances.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:53 pm

Yeah, and to be honest I think he will cool down. He's either going to cool off or get injured. He's not used to starting and or playing this many minutes and or playing those minutes with that kind of energy and hustle. He's a hard worker and great player, so I don't see him bringing less energy -- I see him getting injured.... :man6:

On the other hand, maybe he's been training and will stay in shape. If he continues this level of play, you would say he's worth more than $5-6 though, wouldn't you? If he sustained his 15/10 average for the season?
Chillbongo

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:08 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Yeah, and to be honest I think he will cool down. He's either going to cool off or get injured. He's not used to starting and or playing this many minutes and or playing those minutes with that kind of energy and hustle. He's a hard worker and great player, so I don't see him bringing less energy -- I see him getting injured.... :man6:

On the other hand, maybe he's been training and will stay in shape. If he continues this level of play, you would say he's worth more than $5-6 though, wouldn't you? If he sustained his 15/10 average for the season?

If he sustained 15/10 with his hustle play there's no way he doesn't get offers up around 10 a year.
LakersN4

Postby SK8 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:13 pm

^Yeah sure, teams will be ready to overpaid him, i bring Larry Sanders for example because he is only good on D and still they gave him 44$ m for 4 years, and also look at the guy like Omer Asik, 14$ millions for what?? His length an so so defence?? JH is better than both those guys right now.
Yes he have some health issues, but it's not that but like some guys here talk about, just wait and see how will league jump on a wagon, we are only 10 games in season and he only played 2 games as starter, and look how much buzz he makes, just imagine how will it be if he continue to be around 18-11 per game...
Teams will be lined up to offer Larry Sanders money i'm 100% sure.
That means we will have to pass, but let's hope Hill is humble guy, and maybe he will take less money to play here, i mean this is the place where he got real chance to show what he can, and i think it will be hard to leave LA, fans are absolutely loving him, i'm sure he knows that.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Center Court on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:29 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:^Yeah sure, teams will be ready to overpaid him, i bring Larry Sanders for example because he is only good on D and still they gave him 44$ m for 4 years, and also look at the guy like Omer Asik, 14$ millions for what?? His length an so so defence?? JH is better than both those guys right now.
Yes he have some health issues, but it's not that but like some guys here talk about, just wait and see how will league jump on a wagon, we are only 10 games in season and he only played 2 games as starter, and look how much buzz he makes, just imagine how will it be if he continue to be around 18-11 per game...
That means we will have to pass, but let's hope Hill is humble guy, and maybe he will take less money to play here, i mean this is the place where he got real chance to show what he can, and i think it will be hard to leave LA, fans are absolutely loving him, i'm sure he knows that.

there is a difference of being humble and being humble as you get paid what you deserve. He's going to do the latter.... as any younger player would. It's his one chance and he should take whoever gives him the most $$$.

If he can be packaged for a clear upgrade then you have to do it.
Center Court

Postby Scnottaken on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Center Court wrote:
Uncle Drew wrote:^Yeah sure, teams will be ready to overpaid him, i bring Larry Sanders for example because he is only good on D and still they gave him 44$ m for 4 years, and also look at the guy like Omer Asik, 14$ millions for what?? His length an so so defence?? JH is better than both those guys right now.

there is a difference of being humble and being humble as you get paid what you deserve. He's going to do the latter.... as any younger player would. It's his one chance and he should take whoever gives him the most $$$.

If he can be packaged for a clear upgrade then you have to do it.

Well to be fair he took less money to be here last time, too.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby jlkr on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:12 pm

He maintains close to 15/10 for the season and he is getting Larry Sanders money if not more. No two ways about that. It will be up to Mitch to figure how that plays in with the team's other goals.

Going to be hard to make a trade though. Somebody's getting paid by the Lakers that could subtract something from the team's ability to attract a top FA. Well Mitch is paid to make these decisions. Hill's performance could present him with a really tough one.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:18 pm

jlkr wrote:Somebody's getting paid by the Lakers that could subtract something from the team's ability to attract a top FA. Well Mitch is paid to make these decisions. Hill's performance could present him with a really tough one.

And that's the part that is tough for me as a fan. If he does maintain this level of play, it's more likely he doesn't stay a Laker. Unless he decides to take less money here, which is unlikely. It's the smarter business decision if we can get a star.
Chillbongo

Postby borri on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:21 pm

One thing is for sure. J. Hill is going to get a pay raise. It's just a matter of how much. My hunch is that it's going to be a pretty sizeable one too.
borri

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:59 pm

In his five games as a starter Jordan Hill is averaging 17.0 points, 11.4 rebounds and 1.6 blocks on 59.6% FG’s and 89.5% FT’s, earning walk off interviews in two of the last three home games. His minutes increased from 16.1 (first eight games) to 31.2. He posted career-highs of 24 points and 17 boards in last Sunday’s win over Detroit. Hill ranks second behind only Detroit’s Andre Drummond in field goal percentage this season at 60.9%.

Here’s what Kobe Bryant said about Hill: “Tremendous. He really worked hard this summer and got himself into good shape, shed some weight; he’s extremely strong, (has) long arms, athletic. He has a knack for the ball and is great around the rim. He has a great touch on the low post and a great touch on the perimeter. He’s been a pleasant surprise.”

http://blog.lakers.com/lakers/2013/11/2 ... ine-notes/
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Weezy on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:53 pm

So, in a very small sample size, he's basically giving us what Dwight Howard did all last season (17,12, 2). I'll take that for sure.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:16 pm

That 89.5% FT - That's giving us more than what Dwight did :man1:
charvin

Postby LakerFan1235 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:23 am

Not to be a buzz kill but did anyone else notice Jordan Hill's 2-3 travels when he makes the pass at the top of the 3 point line. Crazy how little travels are called in the NBA. Hill literally walked without dribbling a couple of times lol
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby Weezy on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:25 am

Yes, I've noticed it. I've also noticed that most players in the NBA do the same thing. A couple of times it was pretty blatant with Hill though, during the game before tonights, where I was like dang we were lucky they didn't call that.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:56 am

He also travels on most of his contested rebounds. He comes down with it and shuffles his feet trying to get clear. He does it because he doesn't come down with a wide base and thus doesn't have leverage over some of the other guys around him. He's lucky those don't get called either.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:58 am

LakerFan1235 wrote:Not to be a buzz kill but did anyone else notice Jordan Hill's 2-3 travels when he makes the pass at the top of the 3 point line. Crazy how little travels are called in the NBA. Hill literally walked without dribbling a couple of times lol

:man10: Yeah, I saw that in action last night. I was kind of shocked he didn't get called.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:12 am

Superstar treatment. :man9:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:13 am

Hill is a freaken stud. His motor is non-stop. His offense is improving. He just makes a huge impact around the basket anytime he's in the game. You always know when he's in the game because he's actually affecting the game. He's a great 4 right now.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:22 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 7m
D’Antoni on Jordan Hill (1 for 9 FG’s with 12 boards): “I think Jordan is a little tired right now. We have to manage that.”
Expand

He's been missing some chippies lately. Been the victim of a few obvious no calls too. At least he's still boarding.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:25 pm

He's never played this much per game if I remember right, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is a little tired. I'm always surprised to see Sacre play though.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:15 am

Weezy wrote:He's never played this much per game if I remember right, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is a little tired. I'm always surprised to see Sacre play though.

I guess Kaman still isn't ready? It was definitely weird. He played well though!

Hill is probably getting tired. He's now drawing the opposing team's strongest personnel and rebounders every single night.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:20 am

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:He's never played this much per game if I remember right, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is a little tired. I'm always surprised to see Sacre play though.

I guess Kaman still isn't ready? It was definitely weird. He played well though!

Hill is probably getting tired. He's now drawing the opposing team's strongest personnel and rebounders every single night.

Agreed. And apparently Kaman has been ready, MDA just won't play him. Brilliant move Mike.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion