Jordan Hill Discussion: Back for 2 yr/$18 mil

Re: Jordan Hill Discussion: Doing work

Postby SK8 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:51 pm

He is fine, it looked ugly tho...

Hill on sprained L ankle: “It’s ok. Just a little sprain, nothing that’s gonna hold me back.” Sore, but doesn’t expect to miss time.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:59 pm

we'll have to see how it reacts overnight
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:08 pm

When people were blasting Mike D for not playing this guy so much even though the coaches were saying they wanted to monitor Hills minutes I said I agreed. This guy has never played this much and plays so hard we need to keep him healthy for the year. We also need our other bigs to fricken rebound so this guy doesn't get burned out. Balance is needed.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:45 am

I just looked at the game log. Hill's increased production is consistent with increased minutes. He hasn't played a lick over 21 minutes in 6 games, in which his averages are 6 points and 7 rebounds. The last time he put up a double double was when he played 30+ minutes. Before the last 6 games, he was averaging 15 & 12 over a 7 games stretch playing 25+ minutes.

WTF Mike?
Chillbongo

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:57 am

Jordan Hill laments Lakers' lack of energy on defense

Lakers´ Jordan Hill and Raptors´ DeMar DeRozan and Amir Johnson go for a rebound during second half action at Staples Center Sunday, December 8, 2013. Lakers lost to the Raptors 94-106 as Bryant returned to action for the first time this season. ( Photo by David Crane/Los Angeles Daily News )
By Mark Medina, Los Angeles Daily News
POSTED: 12/11/13, 8:06 PM PST | UPDATED: 48 SECS AGO
The volume in Jordan Hill's voice grew. The pauses between his sighs were prolonged.

After providing endless energy on hustle plays as both a Lakers reserve and starter, Hill appeared visibly frustrated that it hasn't spilled toward his teammates on defense.

"We rely on our offense instead of our defense," Hill said. "When an opponent scores, we feel like we have to come down and get a score. But if we defend and stop our opponent from scoring, our offense will become easier."

The Lakers rank 29th out of 30 NBA teams in both total defense (103.48 points per game) and fast-break points allowed (17.7). Attention fantasy basketball owners: opponents are destined to notch career-highs against the Lakers.

The candidates include Toronto forward Amir Johnson (32 points), New Orlean's Anthony Davis (32), Washington's Nene (30) and Denver's Timofey Mozgov (23). When the Lakers (10-11) play Friday in Oklahoma City (16-4), they'll have to face the NBA's leading scorer in Kevin Durant (29 points per game) and speedy point guard Russell Westbrook.

Plenty of the blame falls on Pau Gasol, whose mild sprain in his right ankle has partly contributed to poor foot speed.

"It starts from an individual, but the team defense has to be able to cover up certain individual mistakes," Gasol said. "That's when the team defense and the scrambling out there comes into play."

The problems go beyond Gasol.

In the Lakers' 114-108 loss Tuesday to the Phoenix Suns, coach Mike D'Antoni featured Shawne Williams and Jodie Meeks in the starting lineup in hopes of adding speed and three-point shooting around Kobe Bryant. Though D'Antoni made the move to accommodate Bryant's rustiness in his second game since injuring his left Achilles tendon eight months ago, the switch left solid defenders Robert Sacre and Wesley Johnson on the bench. Incidentally, Phoenix scored 56 points in the paint and outrebounded the Lakers 43-33.

"We're going to have to man up a little bit more," D'Antoni said. "We're going to have to toughen up. It's going to have to be a dogfight for a while."

How?

"We have to be more aggressive, talk more and contain our guy more," Hill said. "We're going to score at will. Nobody is going to stop us from scoring. But we put too much pressure on our offense. We have to focus on our defense more."

IDENTITY SWITCH

The Lakers have gushed plenty about their bench that leads the league in points per game (47.8) and Nick Young ranking third in the NBA in scoring among players who have played multiple games as reserves (16.3 points per contest).

"They've all produced," D'Antoni said. "It's a group that shares the ball, runs and spread the floor. They put a lot of energy out there."

Those positive developments juxtapose the Lakers' starting lineup that ranks last in scoring (53.5 point). The reasons range from Steve Nash's persisting back issues, Bryant's recent return and Gasol's season-long inconsistency.

D'Antoni mostly blames fielding nine different starting lineups.

"We would like to get in a set rotation, but players play into that," D'Antoni said. "If you're up and down, you're in and out. Some guys will play so well, then I think have to get him in there. Then they fall off.

Two different viewpoints....

Hill - Everyone needs to focus on shutting down their man and the team defense will improve

Pau - I'll just make mistakes and then someone else can cover up for me.

No surprise it's the PF/C having career nights vs. us. When you have a guy playing 30 minutes expecting others to clean up for him, the results speak for themselves.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby charvin on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:26 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Jordan Hill laments Lakers' lack of energy on defense

Lakers´ Jordan Hill and Raptors´ DeMar DeRozan and Amir Johnson go for a rebound during second half action at Staples Center Sunday, December 8, 2013. Lakers lost to the Raptors 94-106 as Bryant returned to action for the first time this season. ( Photo by David Crane/Los Angeles Daily News )
By Mark Medina, Los Angeles Daily News
POSTED: 12/11/13, 8:06 PM PST | UPDATED: 48 SECS AGO
The volume in Jordan Hill's voice grew. The pauses between his sighs were prolonged.

After providing endless energy on hustle plays as both a Lakers reserve and starter, Hill appeared visibly frustrated that it hasn't spilled toward his teammates on defense.

"We rely on our offense instead of our defense," Hill said. "When an opponent scores, we feel like we have to come down and get a score. But if we defend and stop our opponent from scoring, our offense will become easier."

The Lakers rank 29th out of 30 NBA teams in both total defense (103.48 points per game) and fast-break points allowed (17.7). Attention fantasy basketball owners: opponents are destined to notch career-highs against the Lakers.

The candidates include Toronto forward Amir Johnson (32 points), New Orlean's Anthony Davis (32), Washington's Nene (30) and Denver's Timofey Mozgov (23). When the Lakers (10-11) play Friday in Oklahoma City (16-4), they'll have to face the NBA's leading scorer in Kevin Durant (29 points per game) and speedy point guard Russell Westbrook.

Plenty of the blame falls on Pau Gasol, whose mild sprain in his right ankle has partly contributed to poor foot speed.

"It starts from an individual, but the team defense has to be able to cover up certain individual mistakes," Gasol said. "That's when the team defense and the scrambling out there comes into play."

The problems go beyond Gasol.

In the Lakers' 114-108 loss Tuesday to the Phoenix Suns, coach Mike D'Antoni featured Shawne Williams and Jodie Meeks in the starting lineup in hopes of adding speed and three-point shooting around Kobe Bryant. Though D'Antoni made the move to accommodate Bryant's rustiness in his second game since injuring his left Achilles tendon eight months ago, the switch left solid defenders Robert Sacre and Wesley Johnson on the bench. Incidentally, Phoenix scored 56 points in the paint and outrebounded the Lakers 43-33.

"We're going to have to man up a little bit more," D'Antoni said. "We're going to have to toughen up. It's going to have to be a dogfight for a while."

How?

"We have to be more aggressive, talk more and contain our guy more," Hill said. "We're going to score at will. Nobody is going to stop us from scoring. But we put too much pressure on our offense. We have to focus on our defense more."

IDENTITY SWITCH

The Lakers have gushed plenty about their bench that leads the league in points per game (47.8) and Nick Young ranking third in the NBA in scoring among players who have played multiple games as reserves (16.3 points per contest).

"They've all produced," D'Antoni said. "It's a group that shares the ball, runs and spread the floor. They put a lot of energy out there."

Those positive developments juxtapose the Lakers' starting lineup that ranks last in scoring (53.5 point). The reasons range from Steve Nash's persisting back issues, Bryant's recent return and Gasol's season-long inconsistency.

D'Antoni mostly blames fielding nine different starting lineups.

"We would like to get in a set rotation, but players play into that," D'Antoni said. "If you're up and down, you're in and out. Some guys will play so well, then I think have to get him in there. Then they fall off.

Two different viewpoints....

Hill - Everyone needs to focus on shutting down their man and the team defense will improve

Pau - I'll just make mistakes and then someone else can cover up for me.

No surprise it's the PF/C having career nights vs. us. When you have a guy playing 30 minutes expecting others to clean up for him, the results speak for themselves.

Three viewpoints:
D'Antoni - 'Cause you're hot then you're cold
You're yes then you're no
You're in then you're out
You're up then you're down

:man10:
charvin

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:59 am

:bow:
wcsoldier81

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:27 pm

since no one else will say it i will say what i been thinking for awhile :
jordan hill = Image
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:36 pm

No one will say it because it's not true.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Jordan Hill is trash? :man10: Ok. When he was getting consistent time this season he was outplaying or matching whoever he was up against, now he's getting 11 to 17 mins, he'd be lucky to get to 20.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:33 pm

Weezy wrote:Jordan Hill is trash? :man10: Ok. When he was getting consistent time this season he was outplaying or matching whoever he was up against, now he's getting 11 to 17 mins, he'd be lucky to get to 20.

jordan has no reliable post moves, he rarely blocks any shots and his passing is terrible. for a lottery pick lets admit please that jordan hill is a bust. nice guy but he is not gonna play on any real team trying to compete for a title.
hollywood swinger

Postby Helljumper on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:43 pm

^

Helljumper

Postby kray28 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:49 pm

Hill is reliably inconsistent in the same vein as Lamar, with probably about half actual natural talent to boot.

Someone told me he was playing hurt...so maybe that's an excuse....but his activity level is up and down, his passing is horribad, and while he's still a decent offensive rebounder, he pretty mediocre on the defensive side of the glass.

He did play Melo better than anyone else on the team today...that's not saying much though.
kray28

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:49 pm

Jordan Hill is a bust because he was a lottery pick? Sorry, I value guys on what they produce, maybe based on what they're paid, not where some team decided to draft them. Dude makes like 3 mil, he's well worth that, he just doesn't get playing time. When he does, the numbers might not be amazing, but he's pretty consistent with his scoring, rebounding, defense, and always his hustle, especially for a guy with all the flaws you list. To be honest I find your garbage can posts laughable though, because it seems to be most of what you even post anymore, bashing our players like you have a better, more realistic plan, which I also don't remember ever seeing. Our players are garbage, our players are sissies, I think we get it already.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:44 pm

Bottom line we need to sell high on Hill while we can.. He's going to get offered over 6M a season by someone who saw all the great games he had this season & there's no way we bring another superstar in paying guys like Hill that much. Get what you can for him.. Package him with Nash to dump Nash for an expiring & a pick. Do anything except let him walk for nothing or overpay to keep him.
LakersN4

Postby Slurpee22 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:56 pm

People complaining about Hill.. of all people? get a grip folks... he's the only one who brings effort on this team... the other guys are sleep-walking on the court... it sucks that we won't get to keep him in the summer though.. players who eat for offensive rebounds.. don't grow on trees.
Slurpee22

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:12 pm

Weezy wrote:Jordan Hill is a bust because he was a lottery pick? Sorry, I value guys on what they produce, maybe based on what they're paid, not where some team decided to draft them. Dude makes like 3 mil, he's well worth that, he just doesn't get playing time. When he does, the numbers might not be amazing, but he's pretty consistent with his scoring, rebounding, defense, and always his hustle, especially for a guy with all the flaws you list. To be honest I find your garbage can posts laughable though, because it seems to be most of what you even post anymore, bashing our players like you have a better, more realistic plan, which I also don't remember ever seeing. Our players are garbage, our players are sissies, I think we get it already.

no actually i am not at all upset with this season or last season. I am a realistic lakers fan because i appreciate the fact of what we did in the 80's and 2000's. i understand we have to be bad again in order to be good again. i don't expect to win every year. we are playing backups or even d league players as our main starters so i get why we are bad. people in here mad that we are not good and we are not winning need to be thankful for the 3 finals we made it to and the 2 rings. we got older and less talented that happens in the league so i am patient and know we will win again and maybe not that far down the road. i only bash certain players because of lack of effort & toughness. wes johnson i bash because of what i said in preseason he has zero fire. jordan i have bashed today because i can't stand watching guys that don't expand their games. hearing him all preseason saying he has worked on his midrange shot and seeing him still look horrible at it shows his true work ethic. yes he is a garbage man that gets points without plays being called for him and i appreciate it but lets be real jordan hill is not a very good player. look at birdman for instance who is a "garbage man" he is light years more impact on the game that jordan as a garbage man without even scoring. look at faried also. i understand why we are bad and i can handle it until we get better but i can't be a blind homer and not point out that we have bad players. especially bad players who keep saying the same post game blah blah blah of why they are bad instead of them saying i have to be better more is expected of me.
hollywood swinger

Postby lakerfan2 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:34 pm

lol, the fact that you have to point out that jordan hill is a "bad player" is a fact of the matter of the season.

no one is expecting jordan hill to be a "post player". no one is expecting jordan hill to be an assist man. jordan hill does a few things well and it all has to do with his drive and hustle.

comparing him to chris anderson who has to do very little to get open for a rebound or block a shot when he's on a team that draws attention away from him. faried is also overrated in the fact that he gets cancelled out whenever there is a power forward bigger than him not named pau gasol.

what jordan hill provides for his pay grade is a value. compare him to players like javale mcgee and elton brand who haven't done anything all season.

so what if he's a "bust". not all lottery pick end up "stars".

it's laughable to even debate this on a value player who doesn't even get the time of day for his play. people complaining about his inconsistency ever think about his inconsistent minutes and lineup changes? geez. unbelievable.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby khmrP on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:38 pm

Hill is a championship piece IMO, the heat make birdman look good, imagine Hill on that Heat team....He'd kill it every night but this terrible coaching staff isn't doing him any favors.
khmrP

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:50 pm

khmrP wrote:Hill is a championship piece IMO, the heat make birdman look good, imagine Hill on that Heat team....He'd kill it every night but this terrible coaching staff isn't doing him any favors.

imo jordan hill is a take it or leave it player. yes the coaching and scheme of this team stinks but like i said imo jordan hill is a below average player in the league.
hollywood swinger

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:52 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:lol, the fact that you have to point out that jordan hill is a "bad player" is a fact of the matter of the season.

no one is expecting jordan hill to be a "post player". no one is expecting jordan hill to be an assist man. jordan hill does a few things well and it all has to do with his drive and hustle.

comparing him to chris anderson who has to do very little to get open for a rebound or block a shot when he's on a team that draws attention away from him. faried is also overrated in the fact that he gets cancelled out whenever there is a power forward bigger than him not named pau gasol.

what jordan hill provides for his pay grade is a value. compare him to players like javale mcgee and elton brand who haven't done anything all season.

so what if he's a "bust". not all lottery pick end up "stars".

it's laughable to even debate this on a value player who doesn't even get the time of day for his play. people complaining about his inconsistency ever think about his inconsistent minutes and lineup changes? geez. unbelievable.

jordan hill is not a above avg player he is a deeeeeep bench guy. if you called nuggets and said you wanted faried or javale for jordan they would hang up the phone on you...... quickly.
hollywood swinger

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:06 am

riiiiight, that's why Denver was shopping the undersized power forward and the overpaid superstar javale mcgee has been on a tear recently.

yeah hokay!
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby hollywood swinger on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:14 am

lakerfan2 wrote:riiiiight, that's why Denver was shopping the undersized power forward and the overpaid superstar javale mcgee has been on a tear recently.

yeah hokay!

so your saying jordan hill is better than faried ?
hollywood swinger

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:54 am

I would leave and play for a contender if I were him .

My ego would take a huge hit if freaking Kelly would play over me
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:47 am

When Hill gets 20-29 minutes a game (Only 14 games this season).....

23 mpg / 11ppg / 9 rpg / 54%

@ Rim - 65%
Hook shot - 53%
3-10ft - 53%

Roy Hibbert for comparison

@ Rim - 55%
Hook shot - 55%
3-10ft - 44%

Marc Gasol for comparison

@Rim - 79%
Hook shot - 43%
3-10ft - 47%

Give the guy minutes and he's a walking double double, stick the guy at the end of the bench because the coach is an idiot and you have this garbage. For having no post game, he's sure up there with two of the best centers in the game. Add in the fact that his footwork is well above average.

He can't pass, please rattle off a list of centers that can?
He can't block shots, OMGZ, but he makes every defensive rotation and alters a bunch more.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion