Jordan Hill Discussion: Struggling in the new season

Re: Jordan Hill Discussion Thread

Postby Alleyhoops on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:57 pm

kobe_008 wrote:^add Eyenga
I think Hill is very underated, he is much better than both our back up bigs
He brings energy like McBob and also very tough.
Not much shooting like Murphy but D is up to par

Let's not get carried away about Eyenga. He's basically a raw version of Devin Ebanks. If Ebanks doesn't get any run, Eyenga certainly isn't. He'll be gone when the team doesn't pick up his option. He is merely filler and practice fodder.
Alleyhoops

Postby earvinfr on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Adding another big to prepare Pau trade during the offseason
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:10 pm

It'd be nice to put him in at C and allow Pau to continue to play at PF even though Pau is bigger than him. but defensively, let Hill take the big guys
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby thkthebest on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:17 pm

Hill gets destroyed by guys at C. If he's going to play, it's at PF.
thkthebest

Postby jlkr on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:26 pm

He was on the floor with Scola. Who was playing C?

He's big, he's young and he can move a little bit. Best of all, he's cheap. Brown is of the belief he can turn anyone into a defender, let's see what he can do with this guy.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby tttppp on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Doberman wrote:Just saw his contact situation. We have a team option at the end of the season. Unless he does something insane like average a double double in the 15 mpg he might get, Lakers will opt out of his contract. If he agrees to sign for less, I can see us keeping him and trading McRoberts. Otherwise his time as a Laker will be short.

Then whats the point of trading for him in the first place?
tttppp

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:38 pm

GinoDB wrote:
DirtySoap wrote:He's probably a bust if you were expecting him to develop into a franchise leading big man, but he's big and can move. You could do worse for a backup center on a rookie contract. If he stays healthy and doesn't play stupid, we shouldn't ask for more.

perfect post, this should be quoted whenever a cheap player is signed or traded for as a backup.

think Kwame for example, we wanted him to be great back then. but what if we only needed him to be a backup? then he would have been seen as serviceable (of course he made more $$ but thats another story)

Are you guys saying he has little alligator arms and hands like Kwame? :nono2: :nono2: :man12:
LTLakerFan

Postby thkthebest on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:43 pm

jlkr wrote:He was on the floor with Scola. Who was playing C?

He's big, he's young and he can move a little bit. Best of all, he's cheap. Brown is of the belief he can turn anyone into a defender, let's see what he can do with this guy.

Hill has basically played C for his entire career, although he's supposed to be a 4. He hasn't done well as a center either since he gets pushed around. He does better at PF. He should technically play better when he comes here since he can play his natural position next to Bynum or Pau.

I also talked to some Rockets fans, and they said that he's a capable defender, but he messes up the defensive rotation here and there. A few possessions matter a lot in the NBA so hopefully, Mike Brown can instill some of that defensive knowledge into him. He should help with our rebounding problems though. The Lakers still have some games where defensive rebounding is an issue, and HIll is much better than Troy or McRoberts on that end.
thkthebest

Postby DJ Addiction420 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:06 am

He should get all Murphys min as far as I'm concerned. Murphy is horrible!! Young blood better get some run!
DJ Addiction420

Postby JGC on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:18 am

lakers_09tv wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:
lakers_09tv wrote:Here we go overrating our players again. Have any of you ever seen Jordan Hill play? Dude is a bust. McRoberts is better than him.

Have you watched him play? In only 15 mpg he's averaging 5 & 5. He's a good, solid backup. Definitely better than McRoberts.

Yes, I've watched several Rocket games this season. He isn't better than Josh. Last season Josh averaged 7 and 5.

In 32 games this season, Jordan Hill has more double doubles than McRoberts has had in any full 82 game season in his entire career.

He's better than Josh. Not a better passer, but a better big man overall especially in the rebounding department.

That should be clear as day if Hill gets the same number of rebounds as McRoberts even though McRoberts played 50% more minutes per game last season than Hill was getting in Houston.
JGC

Postby Plot on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:32 am

Weezy wrote:Nobody here is overrating Hill, we know he's a backup big that may play a few minutes a game. And those asking why the hate, it's because people wanted Beasley not Hill, it's still a fresh sting.

Pretty much. Just look at how close it was:
The Lakers were seven minutes from acquiring Minnesota forward Michael Beasley, but Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor blocked an agreed-upon three-team trade right before the deadline that would have sent Fisher to Minnesota, not Houston, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The trade also would have involved Portland.

"It was whisker-close," said the person, who did not want to be identified.

The Lakers responded by quickly sending Fisher to the Rockets, barely beating the noon deadline. They are not expected to re-sign Fisher if he takes a buyout with the Rockets.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-trades-20120316,0,4826681.story

It just brought back a few irritating flashbacks of a certain vetoed trade for me.
Plot

Postby Doberman on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:34 am

tttppp wrote:
Doberman wrote:Just saw his contact situation. We have a team option at the end of the season. Unless he does something insane like average a double double in the 15 mpg he might get, Lakers will opt out of his contract. If he agrees to sign for less, I can see us keeping him and trading McRoberts. Otherwise his time as a Laker will be short.

A) Get rid of Fish
B) Dump dead weight salary
Doberman

Postby JGC on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:36 am

tttppp wrote:

Because the Lakers can just not pick up his option at the end of the season.

With Fisher, they would have had to pay him the $3.4M next season plus tax penalties.
JGC

Postby tttppp on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:00 am

JGC wrote:
tttppp wrote:

Because the Lakers can just not pick up his option at the end of the season.

With Fisher, they would have had to pay him the $3.4M next season plus tax penalties.

If the trade was just for Fisher, I'd be ok with the trade. But the Lakers gave up a 1st round pick. A first round pick gets you an impact player. Hill will most likely not even get many minutes and there is a chance the Lakers don't even keep him. So there's a strong chance the Lakers gave up a 1st round pick for nothing.

I liked the idea of using the first round pick to get Beasley. Since that deal fell through, it would have been better for the Lakers to keep the pick.
tttppp

Postby revgen on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:01 am

It's a good deal. Not just from the supposed money saved, but just in practical terms. Before the trades, we had 5 SF's in MWP, Barnes, Kapono, Luke, and Ebanks. With Kapono and Luke out and Eyeanga coming in, it's down to 4 SF's. With Sessions coming in, we would have had 4 PG's on the roster. Way too many. And since Fisher wouldn't have fit in well off the bench, we dealt him away to pick up a position we really do need. A real backup C. A position we haven't had since Mbenga left. No we have 3 PF/C's in Pau, Josh, and Murf along with 2 C's in Bynum + Hill. The only position we're short on is SG, but Glock has been filling that position just fine. And with one slot left we can always pick up you-know-who for the vet min to fill out our SG rotation.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby tttppp on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:03 am

Doberman wrote:
tttppp wrote:

A) Get rid of Fish

The Lakers also got rid of a first round pick, and they did not get first round talent back in return.
tttppp

Postby revgen on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:18 am

tttppp wrote:
Doberman wrote:
tttppp wrote:

A) Get rid of Fish

The Lakers also got rid of a first round pick, and they did not get first round talent back in return.

It's a top-20 protected pick. We weren't going to get anything with it in this upcoming draft anyway. And instead of having 4 PG's, which is too many, we get rid of the one PG who's most ineffective as a bench player and get a young deep reserve center in return. Something we haven't had since Mbenga was here.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Plot on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:30 am

One of the unique traits of this team is the ability to rotate between Bynum/Pau at the C nearly full-time due to Pau being able to slide to either position seamlessly. It makes the traditional backup C role a luxury. A decent backup PF who can hit the spot-up jumper, board, and defend is more of a necessity on this team.
Plot

Postby Lakeshow24 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:39 am

It's lovely to acquire a big with some athleticism to back up Pau and Bynum. All I needed was that *one* highlight of J. Hill banging like a gangsta on McRoberts to realize he has more potential than 37-year-old Derek Fisher.

He'll hopefully at least be serviceable and have the ability to stay on the court long enough to give Pau and Bynum enough rest to sit on the bench to catch some oxygen. Let's face it... Sessions and Blake are taking almost all the PG minutes, with Goudelock rightfully collecting any of those scraps. No need for Fish, so thanks for your time but I'm happy for the J Hill pickup. Seriously. I'm C walking in my living room about the acquisition and I'm nowhere near gangsta!
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby kobe_008 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:27 am

Alleyhoops wrote:
kobe_008 wrote:^add Eyenga
I think Hill is very underated, he is much better than both our back up bigs
He brings energy like McBob and also very tough.
Not much shooting like Murphy but D is up to par

Let's not get carried away about Eyenga. He's basically a raw version of Devin Ebanks. If Ebanks doesn't get any run, Eyenga certainly isn't. He'll be gone when the team doesn't pick up his option. He is merely filler and practice fodder.

Not Hyping Eyenga or anything but I think he has a better game than Ebanks.
Try to watch Ebanks dribbling and driving compared to this guy and you will see the difference.
kobe_008

Postby kobe_008 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:28 am

Back to topic.
Hill is still young and will still develop.
He should back up more than both McBob and Murphy

Not a bad pick-up
kobe_008

Postby UNCLaker2 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:00 am

Remember the last athletic "throw in player" on a trade a few years ago!!!
Jordan Hill wont have live up to the number 8 lotto pick in LA.
He can play both positions in the K-G-B pick n roll play that we love!
Their will be scoring opportunities if he runs the floor.
He can block shots!!

5-10mins a game to spell both bigs works for me!
Kevin Garnett is the Vanilla Ice of Big Men!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASClJTn ... re=related
UNCLaker2

Postby Murdock on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:32 am

magicman32 wrote:

travelled :D
Murdock

Postby M2K on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:01 am

lakers_09tv wrote:Here we go overrating our players again. Have any of you ever seen Jordan Hill play? Dude is a bust. McRoberts is better than him.
M2K

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:34 am

Can rest Drew for 4-5 additional minutes a game until the end of the season ... besides this , it doesn't matter he won't be there for the 2012-2013 season
wcsoldier81

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion