Jordan Hill Discussion: Struggling in the new season

Re: Jordan Hill Signs With Lakers (2 Years/$8 Million)

Postby XXIV on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:55 pm

CarolinaLakerFan wrote:4 mill a yr of a steal for Hill. My hunch is McRoberts may be trade bait though.

Hopefully, we really need some backup wing players and McRoberts can possibly fetch us one decent shooter.
XXIV

Postby GoldHammish on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:56 pm

CarolinaLakerFan wrote:4 mill a yr of a steal for Hill. My hunch is McRoberts may be trade bait though.

But not so much of a steal if you consider he'll play like what, 15 minutes a game?
GoldHammish

Postby revgen on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:56 pm

nthydro wrote:
revgen wrote:Overpaid.

But that's par for the course for frontcourt players.

Money aside, I'm glad we got him.

How much do you think he's worth

No more than 3 million a season.

But as I've said before, frontcourt players are typically overpaid anyway, so I'm not super surprised or anything.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby John3:16 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:00 pm

BDG wrote:Considering the way big men are getting paid these days, the price is not absurd.

A couple more seasons of contributions and a couple more inches and he'd be a max player. Big men are getting paid like the lockout never happened.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:04 pm

LOL @ people suggesting he's overpaid. Overpaid is Jason Thompson at 6M. Overpaid is Ilyasova at 9M. Overpaid is BROOK LOPEZ at 15M. I will take J Hill at 4M on a VERY movable deal (2 yr contract). I think McRoberts will be moved to a team looking to clear cap...and we'll most likely get a wing player back in the deal. My dream would be to get rid of McRoberts and Blake and get Brandon Rush and Nate Robinson.
FabFourLakers

Postby khmrP on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:07 pm

good value....but how do we get rush now? dont get why people saying he's overpaid, just look at Asik, wtf has he done to get $8mill/yr?
khmrP

Postby mapabu1 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Great signing. Looks to me like McRoberts is going to be traded
mapabu1

Postby GNC on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Glad he will be back because he provides us with hustle and energy, which we sorely lack. More importantly, even without Dwight, our big man rotation looks great right now!

Hopefully we can add a combo guard next and a backup for MWP.
GNC

Postby khmrP on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:13 pm

revgen wrote:

But as I've said before, frontcourt players are typically overpaid anyway, so I'm not super surprised or anything.

Mcscrub makes 3.5mill/yr...come on now
khmrP

Postby Lakeshow24 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm very happy about this underrated player's return. Looks like we will have a formidable lineup, very good defense. If we somehow pull off the Dwight trade... in the words of the greatest Clipper of all time "oh me oh my!"
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Good signing and good price
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby revgen on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:19 pm

khmrP wrote:
revgen wrote:

Mcscrub makes 3.5mill/yr...come on now

He's overpaid too.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:20 pm

Go for your usual 10 and 10 baby
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby JGC on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:23 pm

revgen wrote:
nthydro wrote:

Jordan Hill is NOT overpaid relative to the market. The market for a big of Jordan Hill's talent and potential is much higher. And he has always had solid per 48 numbers.

I also think he'll play more minutes than people think. Gasol and Bynum cannot and will not average career highs in minutes again.

Just for comparison's sake, I'm trying to think of comparable players to Hill, but it is tough when you're dealing with role players who may not always get consistent minutes.
JGC

Re: Heat, Warriors, Magic and Wolves Interested In Jordan Hill

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:26 pm

khmrP wrote:
Damian Necronamous wrote:Now that we have Jamison, we just really just sign Jordan Hill and see if we can deal McRoberts and Goudelock to the Warriors for Brandon Rush in a S&T.

i support this :jam2: we can package McSuck with Howard trade if that goes through.

God I hate the McScrub and McSuck stuff. The guy is a smart player with size, athleticism, blue collar hustle and Lamar lite skills. Can handle the ball in the open court even like Lamar. Almost like Lamar. If given the encouragement to do so.

I totally blame Brown for doing nothing to encourage the game he has and killing his confidence with his asinine rotations and long term benchings for no apparent reason. That said....with AJ here now and Hill coming back, I bet McRoberts will be dealt for another asset. Really wanted to see him running the floor on the break this year with Nash occasionally if in games at the same time.
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTLakerFan

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus

Well it's not G Hill but J Hill - Lakers agree to terms with Jordan http://bit.ly/MNujRN - looking at about $120 mil payroll this year

Deep Pockets I guess, wow. We still need to add a backup SG or SF and then we're set.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby revgen on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:28 pm

JGC wrote:
revgen wrote:
nthydro wrote:

Jordan Hill is NOT overpaid relative to the market. The market for a big of Jordan Hill's talent and potential is much higher. And he has always had solid per 48 numbers.

I also think he'll play more minutes than people think. Gasol and Bynum cannot and will not average career highs in minutes again.

Just for comparison's sake, I'm trying to think of comparable players to Hill, but it is tough when you're dealing with role players who may not always get consistent minutes.

Bigs are overpaid in general so you're correct. but that doesn't change the fact that he's overpaid.

He's primarily a rebounder, and undersized for a PF which means he'll struggle defending taller PF/C's like Cousins, and since his points generally come off offensive putbacks and offense created by playmakers near the hoop, so we can't depend on him to create on his own. He's very good at the skills he can do (rebounding) but his skillsets in general are shallow and need to expand.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Re: Heat, Warriors, Magic and Wolves Interested In Jordan Hill

Postby khmrP on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:29 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Damian Necronamous wrote:Now that we have Jamison, we just really just sign Jordan Hill and see if we can deal McRoberts and Goudelock to the Warriors for Brandon Rush in a S&T.

i support this :jam2: we can package McSuck with Howard trade if that goes through.

God I hate the McScrub and McSuck stuff. The guy is a smart player with size, athleticism, blue collar hustle and Lamar lite skills. Can handle the ball in the open court even like Lamar. Almost like Lamar. If given the encouragement to do so.

I totally blame Brown for doing nothing to encourage the game he has and killing his confidence with his asinine rotations and long term benchings for no apparent reason. That said....with AJ here now and Hill coming back, I bet McRoberts will be dealt for another asset. Really wanted to see him running the floor on the break this year with Nash occasionally if in games at the same time.

please, Mcscrub is no where near Odom...so you telling me Brown made him pass up shots? encouragement :man10: , dudes a pro bring your A game if you want PT, nobody got time to baby you.
Last edited by khmrP on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:31 pm

I think they're gonna keep McRoberts. Nice $3 mil expiring contract to have they can cash in at the deadline if team needs some issues addressed

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:32 pm

Major props to him for turning down a bigger deal and probably more PT, to try and be apart of winning a ring and playing his role in doing it.

At his age and his production the last part of the season, it's usually pay day, good for him and good for us, we know that he's here to win first and foremost. :jam2: (Same goes for Jamison)
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:38 pm

revgen wrote:
Bigs are overpaid in general so you're correct. but that doesn't change the fact that he's overpaid.

He's primarily a rebounder, and undersized for a PF which means he'll struggle defending taller PF/C's like Cousins, and since his points generally come off offensive putbacks and offense created by playmakers near the hoop, so we can't depend on him to create on his own. He's very good at the skills he can do (rebounding) but his skillsets in general are shallow and need to expand.

how can you say he's underzied for a PF? he's 6 10", he's undersized for a C but not in terms of a backup role and most backup C's now a days are just big stiffs, just tall and take up space. But even with his lack of bulk it didn't seem to stop him from getting to the offensive boards, which is quite impressive. I dont get how you're using Cousins as an example he's a starter and prime for stardom and he lite up Bynum/Pau too.
khmrP

Postby Snake Eyes on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:40 pm

Absolutely love this deal. He'll provide us with something off the bench which is going to be awesome, and we all know he probably could have signed elsewhere for a bigger role. Major respect for Hill. Him and Jameson should be fun to watch off the bench.
Snake Eyes

Postby JGC on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:45 pm

revgen wrote:
JGC wrote:Jordan Hill is NOT overpaid relative to the market. The market for a big of Jordan Hill's talent and potential is much higher. And he has always had solid per 48 numbers.

Well, I guess it depends on one's definition of overpaid. Isn't overpaying when you spend more than what a fair market would command for a given commodity? Doesn't the market HAVE to determine the price? I'm not an economics guy, but, I'm thinking this is a typical supply/demand issue. If the market (other teams) is willing to pay $5M per year for a player of his talents, than $4M per year can't be overpaying by any reasonable definition.

On the other hand, I guess one could argue the market is out of whack and maybe that's what you mean. For instance, the real estate market in 2005 where, market price for a 2 bedroom condo might have been $600K and if you paid that, you may have paid market price but looking back that is vastly overpaying. But then again, in this case, we don't have the benefit of hindsight so all we know is, did we pay more than others would pay for a player of his talent level and I'd say probably not.

BTW, I agree with your overall assessment of Jordan Hill's skill set and contributions but isn't that why he is going to make substantially below average in compensation?
JGC

Postby LakerFanIam on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Love this....

Would actually like to see Ebanks back too...
LakerFanIam

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:47 pm

As happy as i am i hope this means they have something else in store for our floundering back court.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion