Jordan Hill Discussion: Back for 2 yr/$18 mil

Re: Jordan Hill Discussion

Postby Tragic on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:03 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:I love this guy...
Tragic

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:19 am

It's amazing to see how great a player looks once he finds his role within a team.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JGC on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:59 am

If you think about it, Hill is actually the PERFECT kind of guy to trade for under the circumstances.

- He had potential as a lottery pick
- He was showing potential in Houston averaging 5 and 5 in less than 15 mins per game (which probably projects out quite nicely to what he is doing here in LA)
- His contract was expiring

That's a perfect scenario. You give this 'potential' type player a few months to audition for a new contract and if it works out, you scored. If not, you still scored by saving money. Brilliant.
JGC

Postby BigDan24 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:25 am

The Predator :jam2:
BigDan24

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:30 am

Hustler!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Twitter.com/ForumBlueGold

Points scored per 100 possessions/ Points given up per 100 possessions of each pairing of bigs

Pau/Dwight - 106.9/95.8

Pau/Hill - 110.5/87.0

Dwight/Hill - 89.7/115.3 (WTF?)

Pau has been the best big able to make it work with both of them which is good to see

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:17 pm

Center Court wrote:at one point (I think it was Dwight's 3 point play in the 4th) I saw both JHill and Dwight both ferociously fight and shoving for rebounds... awesome sight. Something we've not seen in a long long time.

Also, seeing JH go after Oneal for his cheap shot was a cool little moment...

I don't think Oneal gave any cheap shot at all. He was naturally reacting to catching Dwight's forearm (inadvertent but still....) hard on the side of his mouth.

But yeah Jordan jumped in to prevent anything else from breaking out.
LTLakerFan

Postby nthydro on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:18 pm

How can you not love this guy? It's amazing how he seems to be in the mix for every single rebound. His activity is off the charts. Best part is you never have to call a single play for him and he'll still produce.
nthydro

Postby StudentOfTheGame on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:20 pm

Gonna be honest, I thought he had "contract year" written all over him last year.

The season is still young, but he's been awesome. Hopefully D'Antoni keeps his minutes up. If I remember correctly, D'Antoni wasn't much of a fan of his in NY.
StudentOfTheGame

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:51 pm

Keeping this guy was right up there with getting Nash & Dwight.. One of the most important moves Mitch made.. He's shown flashes his whole career but the consistency is finally there. The fact that we have him locked in so cheap is amazing.. Hope we keep him when he seeks a real payday after this contract. He took a cut to stay with us, & now he's a bargain. We're going to have to overpay a bit to balance that out. As long as we're able to carve out a bigger role for him, it'll be worth it.
lakersin4

Postby nthydro on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:58 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:Gonna be honest, I thought he had "contract year" written all over him last year.

The season is still young, but he's been awesome. Hopefully D'Antoni keeps his minutes up. If I remember correctly, D'Antoni wasn't much of a fan of his in NY.

D'Antoni did mention that Jordan's been "playing well" so he's definitely aware. It's not like we have a better player off the bench right now. He'd be a fool not to play him at least 15-20 minutes. At first I wanted Antawn to play PF but now I'd rather Jordan take all those minutes. But D'Antoni is probably going to play Antawn at the 4 a lot. It'll be interesting to see how his rotations work out.
nthydro

Postby nthydro on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:00 pm

lakersin4 wrote:Keeping this guy was right up there with getting Nash & Dwight.. One of the most important moves Mitch made.. He's shown flashes his whole career but the consistency is finally there. The fact that we have him locked in so cheap is amazing.. Hope we keep him when he seeks a real payday after this contract. He took a cut to stay with us, & now he's a bargain. We're going to have to overpay a bit to balance that out. As long as we're able to carve out a bigger role for him, it'll be worth it.

Considering how bad the rest of the bench has been, I can't agree more.
nthydro

Postby Punk-101 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:35 pm

When are we going to see Jordan at the backup 5 with Jamison at the 4?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:08 pm

We're definitely a better defensive team when Hill and D12 (as opposed to D12 and Pau) are on the floor.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby revgen on Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:29 pm

When you have a team that shoots the ball a lot, like we seem to be doing under D'Antoni right now. Having guys like Hill is imperative. The D'Antoni Suns always lacked good rebounding, which hurt them most when they would miss shots. Despite allowing 49FG% to the Suns we still held them to 102 points. The 17 offensive rebounds, combined with the 15 forced TO's is partly why we were able to do that.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby karacha on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:53 pm

The Rock wrote:Twitter.com/ForumBlueGold

Points scored per 100 possessions/ Points given up per 100 possessions of each pairing of bigs

Pau/Dwight - 106.9/95.8

Pau/Hill - 110.5/87.0

Pau has been the best big able to make it work with both of them which is good to see

Do you see why I was advocating Jamison+Dwight and Pau+Hill for so long? Sure, you will play Dwight and Pau together at the beginning of the game, but once we start rotating bench players, this needs to happen more. Pau and Hill can be really good together. Hill is valuable because he brings a lot of energy, hustles and rebounds. His scoring is alright for a bench guy, but is secondary.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:24 pm

With Hill in with Dwight the defense can pack the paint around Dwight bc they dont really have to worry about Hill yet or ever. With Pau and Hill, Pau can stretch the floor as well as play in the paint and hill is grabbing all the rebounds and putbacks in the paint bc pau isnt really in there and its not as packed.

i would love to see a dwight jamison lineup. aswell as more pau hill. im sure dantoni will figure out what works best and will utilize jamison more that he was with brown or even bernie
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:46 pm

The Lakers are 0-4 and averaging 44.3 rebounds per game when Hill does not play at least 19 minutes. When he does, however, they are 3-1 and averaging 50.5 boards per outing.

The proof is in the numbers. If D'Antoni buries Hill, he's decreasing the Lakers' chances of achieving victory.
Ariza3

Postby Finwë on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:59 am

Hill needs to get PT. He's earned it.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby BDG on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:46 am

What's there not to like about him?

Even when he's getting the rebound himself, his effort often "assists" our other big man in getting the board.

Great resigning by Mitch. Glad to see he's healthy as well after that scare at the beginning of the year.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:50 am

Jordan Hill's hustle... :bow:

Loving this dude's game. What a great addition off the bench to play alongside either Howard or Pau...
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby borri on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:32 am

Thank you Derek Fisher!
borri

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:36 am

borri wrote:Thank you Derek Fisher!

THIS.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:31 am

karacha wrote:
The Rock wrote:Twitter.com/ForumBlueGold

Pau/Dwight - 106.9/95.8

Pau/Hill - 110.5/87.0

Do you see why I was advocating Jamison+Dwight and Pau+Hill for so long? Sure, you will play Dwight and Pau together at the beginning of the game, but once we start rotating bench players, this needs to happen more. Pau and Hill can be really good together. Hill is valuable because he brings a lot of energy, hustles and rebounds. His scoring is alright for a bench guy, but is secondary.

^^ I agree with you Karacha.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby halekulani on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:58 am

i wish other people would try as hard as jordan

tired of seeing him hustle on defense only to find that someone didn't box out their man leaving jordan hill alone in the paint for the rebound
halekulani

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion