Jordan Hill Discussion: Back for 2 yr/$18 mil

Re: Jordan Hill Signs With Lakers (2 Years/$8 Million)

Postby jamabile on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:21 pm

Good news! Now add a wing or two, and we're set.
jamabile

Postby BDG on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:21 pm

Solid re-sign.

Energy off the bench.

Props to him for staying a Laker.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:22 pm

Finwë wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:4 million a year for a good 20 game stretch.... I hope they know what they're doing.... I hope the second year is a team option.

I'm torn on Hill.... he played well for us but in numerous opportunities before he didn't stick in the rotation in NY or Houston.....

I still think we need a legit back-up center somewhere on the bench.... and not Oneal.

I get what you are saying but during that stretch with us he really didn't do anything that I thought would be hard to sustain..
It wasn't as if he was shooting lights out or something, basically all he gave us was hustle & intensity (which we desperately needed from at least one big). IMO that shouldn't be hard to sustain, I don't see a reason why he wouldn't keep playing that way, he knows that's what he's here for.
If anything, a full training camp + a defined rotation & role should benefit him and make him even more consistent..

Contract year would be the concern. I personally think the guy's legit, but there's a chance he was hustling for a payday.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Finwë on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:22 pm

Gasol/Jamison/McRoberts(probably gonna be traded)
Bynum/Hill

Best frontcourt in the L by far IMO.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:22 pm

Great news. :jam2:

Finwë wrote:Gasol/Jamison/McRoberts(probably gonna be traded)
Bynum/Hill

Agreed. Two top five bigs and excellent backups.

We have the best backcourt and front court in the league. I think it's safe to say we're the team to beat out West.
Last edited by Texas Lakers Fan on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby nthydro on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:23 pm

A bit shocked we're giving him 2yr/8mill. He had a solid stretch of games and showed potential but I'm not sure if he could keep it up. If he plays the same way he did last season then he's worth it. He gave us much needed energy and speed in the front court. And he plays well off of Bynum and Gasol.
nthydro

Postby BDG on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Considering the way big men are getting paid these days, the price is not absurd.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby nthydro on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Howard/Hill

Fixed :man1:
nthydro

Postby Finwë on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:25 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
Finwë wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:4 million a year for a good 20 game stretch.... I hope they know what they're doing.... I hope the second year is a team option.

I'm torn on Hill.... he played well for us but in numerous opportunities before he didn't stick in the rotation in NY or Houston.....

I still think we need a legit back-up center somewhere on the bench.... and not Oneal.

I get what you are saying but during that stretch with us he really didn't do anything that I thought would be hard to sustain..
It wasn't as if he was shooting lights out or something, basically all he gave us was hustle & intensity (which we desperately needed from at least one big). IMO that shouldn't be hard to sustain, I don't see a reason why he wouldn't keep playing that way, he knows that's what he's here for.
If anything, a full training camp + a defined rotation & role should benefit him and make him even more consistent..

Contract year would be the concern. I personally think the guy's legit, but there's a chance he was hustling for a payday.

Maybe, but seeing that the guy left money on the table to join us (it was reported that the Minny deal would get him 3 years and 15M) and play for a contender, I expect he'll play hard and try to contribute as much as he can.
Also, with Jamison here he'll have to fight a bit more for minutes (last year he played not only with Pau but alongside Bynum at the 4 spot as well).
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby BDG on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:25 pm

Bynum/Hill

I like McRoberts but the fact that he was scared to shoot last year for some reason really hurt us when he was on the floor.

I like his energy, but wouldn't rule out trading him for a solid backup wing player.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:27 pm

I agree, Fin.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Finwë on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:27 pm

KeepBynum wrote:Great news. :jam2:

Bynum/Hill

We have the best backcourt and front court in the league. I think it's safe to say we're the team to beat out West.

Our starting backcourt is the best, that I agree with, but we have no depth at that position.. If you include the bench you'd have to say the clippers have a better backcourt (CP3, Crawford, Billups, Bledsoe, Hill -can play some SG-) IMO.
Finwë

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:30 pm

It's very hard to get a decent big for cheap, even a backup, so I like this signing. I mean look at the ridiculous offer Asik just got, 25 mil for 3years, and thats a guy that averaged 3 points, 5 boards and 1 block last season. Hill put up 5, 4 and 1 in very limited time and we got him for 8 mil 2 years, I'll take it.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:30 pm

Finwë wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:Great news. :jam2:

Bynum/Hill

Our starting backcourt is the best, that I agree with, but we have no depth at that position.. If you include the bench you'd have to say the clippers have a better backcourt (CP3, Crawford, Billups, Bledsoe, Hill -can play some SG-) IMO.

No question Clippers have the deepest back court in the NBA. Even last year with Mo Williams and Nick Young instead of Crawford
nthydro

Postby OX1947 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:36 pm

If there isnt a Howard trade, I am thinking McBob gets traded for a draft pick, or outside shot, a shooting guard to back up Kobe. Anyone know any possible gems out there at SG who could be available?
OX1947

Postby Ras Algethi on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Seems a little on the high side to me as well for small sample size but I still like the signing.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:37 pm

I'm glad he chose to resign with us, his hustle and energy were great especially coming off the bench.
XXIV

Postby Tragic on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Tess!!!
Tragic

Postby GoldHammish on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:41 pm

BDG wrote:Considering the way big men are getting paid these days, the price is not absurd.

True, but when you consider the heavy minutes that the 3 bigs ahead of him are going to be getting, it is a little on the high side.

I think this means that McRoberts is definitely gone. No way they're paying like $7M between Hill and McBob.
GoldHammish

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Jordan's Per 36 Minute Statistics: 15 ppg, 14 rpg, 3 bpg.

Source: Basketball Reference

:man4:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby nthydro on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:46 pm

Big ups to Jordan for taking less money to stay with us :jam2:

I know 1 mill a season is not a lot for most players but it is for him.
nthydro

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:52 pm

4 mill a yr is a steal for Hill. My hunch is McRoberts may be trade bait though.
Last edited by CarolinaLakerFan on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby DIESEL on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:53 pm

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
KOBE BRYANT = MVP
DIESEL

Postby revgen on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:53 pm

Overpaid.

But that's par for the course for frontcourt players.

Money aside, I'm glad we got him.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby nthydro on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:54 pm

revgen wrote:Overpaid.

But that's par for the course for frontcourt players.

Money aside, I'm glad we got him.

How much do you think he's worth
nthydro

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion