Jordan Hill Discussion: Struggling in the new season

Re: Jordan Hill Signs With Lakers (2 Years/$8 Million)

Postby revgen on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:03 am

Mitch recently told reporters that they would look to talk to Bynum about an extension sometime after they resign Jordan HIll.

So this signing along with the upcoming Jameson signing represents a symbolic shift.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:08 am

revgen wrote:Mitch recently told reporters that they would look to talk to Bynum about an extension sometime after they resign Jordan HIll.

So this signing along with the upcoming Jameson signing represents a symbolic shift.

So this basically means we're moving on from Howard?
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby revgen on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:16 am

KeepBynum wrote:
revgen wrote:Mitch recently told reporters that they would look to talk to Bynum about an extension sometime after they resign Jordan HIll.

So this basically means we're moving on from Howard?

You can never say never, but the chance of Hill being involved in any Howard trade is showing signs of not happening.

Signing Hill and Jameson takes our roster space from 10 to 12. If we sign Ebanks' QO, it goes to 13. If we sign JO, it goes 14.

We're slowly but surely running out of roster spots to take on contracts in a possible trade deal.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Jigglin Jello on Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:18 pm

Rooscooter wrote:You hit on the one part that gives me a little pause about getting a ball dominant guard like Nash..... How does Kobe mesh with him after being the entire focus of the offense for 16 years?.... It might take a month or two before they find the best way to co-exist.

That's why I think they would both benefit from playing whilst the other sits. They get to play the way they're used to, with the ball in their hands. You're more optimistic than I am, I think it will take all season for them to find a happy medium. In order for us to get the most value out of Steve Nash, he needs to have the ball in his hands. Kobe on the other hand can do dirt without handling the ball all the time, not to mention his defender is unlikely to leave him to double others. Hopefully he realizes that.

Rooscooter wrote:As for Nash's minutes.... I'd be surprised if he plays much more than 30 a game..... at least I hope not.... unfortunately that leaves too many minutes for Blake...

I still have my fingers crossed for West.
“We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.”
― Charles Bukowski
Jigglin Jello

Postby GoldenKnight on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:21 pm

Excellent rebounding & hustle off the bench, glad he is back & we're not stuck with McScrub

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby SK8 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:27 pm

When i said that JO is crap, and our main focus on backup C should be Jordan Hill, moderator of CL or someone said that he is to expensive for five minutes on flour, and now when we sign him, everything is :stunoice: . Now that's weird.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Yep, I said it.

Apparently they're not going to be giving Jamison 20 something minutes a night and we're going to run a more traditional offense of having a backup PF and a backup C. That means less minutes all around. I wasn't expecting that at all, I was wrong.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:10 pm

therealdeal wrote:Yep, I said it.

Apparently they're not going to be giving Jamison 20 something minutes a night and we're going to run a more traditional offense of having a backup PF and a backup C. That means less minutes all around. I wasn't expecting that at all, I was wrong.

But I'm glad they are going that direction though. I remember being so furious every game when I had to see Drew run 12 minute stretches as well as Kobe. Now it's 7-8 minute stretches, get a nice break, 7-8 minute stretch, rinse and repeat.

Having our bigs having something left in the tank in the 2nd half and especially the 4th quarter is going to be huge.

Now if they can figure that out with Kobe and get a nice backup for him so he doesn't have to do that either, with Nash running things in the 4th, with an energized Kobe/Bynum, I like our odds of closing out games and getting buckets a lot more than last year.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby frankrj on Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:10 pm

Great re-signing of someone who proved their worth and not letting him go like Brown.
frankrj

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:58 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

But I'm glad they are going that direction though. I remember being so furious every game when I had to see Drew run 12 minute stretches as well as Kobe. Now it's 7-8 minute stretches, get a nice break, 7-8 minute stretch, rinse and repeat.

Having our bigs having something left in the tank in the 2nd half and especially the 4th quarter is going to be huge.

Now if they can figure that out with Kobe and get a nice backup for him so he doesn't have to do that either, with Nash running things in the 4th, with an energized Kobe/Bynum, I like our odds of closing out games and getting buckets a lot more than last year.

I suppose i ageee with keeping guys fresh. It was EXTREMELY evident late in games that our Big 3 were tired and couldn't keep up. Having Hill and Jamison will give them the opportunity to give both Bynum and Gasol rests.

However, i was looking forward to having Jamison come in and sliding Pau to C. I think that would really help Pau come back to the level of performance we're going to need. I think we'll still see that, but not as often and that may hurt his resurgence just a bit.

Still a nice signing though. Any time you can have a guy who turns down more money to play here, you have a guy who cares more about winning and being a Laker than anything else. And that's special.

By the way we've got three guys like that right now.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:11 pm

He needs to work on and develop some sort of a mid-range game. Hope he is working hard at it. That, and his help defense without fouling. Though he is faster to react and help than Drew, he needs to stay vertical and work on taking charges.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:01 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

I'm very hopeful this is the plan.. Playing Kobe, Bynum, Pau, Nash into the dirt isn't going to get us anywhere.. Our starters are good enough that by that 7 minute mark we should have a good lead against most anyone.. Having them be able to get rest while we stay in the game is key.. If this is the route we're going, Mitch has to have something planned for PG & the wings.. If we have Blake/Glock/Ebanks out there, even with 2 solid bigs like Jamison & Hill, those leads won't last
lakersin4

Postby revgen on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:01 pm

After looking at the salary chart at hoopsworld it doesn't look so bad as I thought. He's being paid 3.6 million this season, not 4 million. He earns 4 million in 2013-2014, but at least J-Mac will be gone then, so we won't be paying over 7 million dollars for essentially 2 hustle players who play the same position.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:06 pm

^ I honestly think Josh is gone this season if and when Mitch finds the right offer. 3 million expiring for a young guy with talent and athleticism. No way we keep him here when I"m sure there's takers that'll give us a PG/SG that we desperately need.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:45 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ I honestly think Josh is gone this season if and when Mitch finds the right offer. 3 million expiring for a young guy with talent and athleticism. No way we keep him here when I"m sure there's takers that'll give us a PG/SG that we desperately need.

If we could somehow get Rush for McScrub that'd be awesome.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:06 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ I honestly think Josh is gone this season if and when Mitch finds the right offer. 3 million expiring for a young guy with talent and athleticism. No way we keep him here when I"m sure there's takers that'll give us a PG/SG that we desperately need.

As much as I love Rush, I think our best bet would be getting the best backup PG or combo guard we can from a team willing to take on Blake with McBob..
lakersin4

Postby Phil XI on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:42 pm

^ sounds like Calderon to me. Who's TOR playing at PG/bu PG now, could Blake fit?
And can McRib garner any 4th big mins for them?
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:59 pm

Phil XI wrote:^ sounds like Calderon to me. Who's TOR playing at PG/bu PG now, could Blake fit?

They have both Calderon and Lowry.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:14 am

:stunoice:

Glad to hear it.

Hill definitely earned it.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:01 am

Phil XI wrote:^ sounds like Calderon to me. Who's TOR playing at PG/bu PG now, could Blake fit?

I was talking about more of a salary dump.. Get a guard at or below McRoberts salary in return & get rid of Blake's contract.. I'm sure getting a team with cap space to take that package without a 1st is a tall order though..
lakersin4

Postby JGC on Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:34 am

I would love that myself, but, I thought I read somewhere payroll is a monstrous $120M now. If that is true, I am almost afraid that we are all but done.

But if we do trade, I think the magic contract length of players we would consider is 2 years or 3 years with last year as a team option. (Outside of super stars where we are done).
JGC

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:05 am

JGC wrote:(Outside of super stars where we are done).

Yup...we will rely on Nash to get us what we didn't have last season--- three point shooting and playmaking
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Frank Dux on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:37 pm

frankrj wrote:Great re-signing of someone who proved their worth and not letting him go like Brown.

Thank god we let Brown go.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby GoldHammish on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:18 pm

EL SEGUNDO – The Los Angeles Lakers have re-signed free agent forward Jordan Hill, it was announced on Wednesday by General Manager Mitch Kupchak.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/lakers-re-sign-jordan-hill
GoldHammish

Re: Jordan Hill Discussion

Postby TIME on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:27 pm

Merged with re-sign thread.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion