Jordan Hill's Summer Assignment: Become A Stretch 4

Re: Jordan Hill's Summer Assignment: Become A Stretch 4

Postby Weezy on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:15 pm

He's not a stretch 4, his shot is flat as ever. I still like him and think he can be a big part of the team, but he needs to stay close to the basket, go after offensive rebounds like he does so well, play like a big is supposed to play. I don't think he needs to change for 'Antoni at least, that didn't work out for him in the past, and hopefully 'Antoni is gone this summer anyway.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Weezy wrote:He's not a stretch 4, his shot is flat as ever. I still like him and think he can be a big part of the team, but he needs to stay close to the basket, go after offensive rebounds like he does so well, play like a big is supposed to play. I don't think he needs to change for 'Antoni at least, that didn't work out for him in the past, and hopefully 'Antoni is gone this summer anyway.

^^ Agreed.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:23 pm

I don't want him to change, I just want him to grow. Adding a jump shot is something simple and easy and should be so easy to do. It doesn't mean he has to be a pop artist all of a sudden, but it should be in his arsenal anyway. I still want him crashing the glass like always and trying to put things home around the hoop. I just want him to be able to do that so that teams can't just cheat inside on him.

A wide open 15 footer should be feast time for any NBA player.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:29 pm

Oh I know real, I didn't mean I disagree with you, the guy definitely needs to grow. I was just speaking in regard to the thread title again, guy is not a stretch 4, he needs to grow as a player, certainly add to his post game IMO. If I'm him I don't change the core of who I am as a player for 'Antoni though, that's a waste of time if 'Antoni isn't gonna play him, will try to trade him, or is gone as coach after the season.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Oh okay yeah that's true. I wouldn't change the way I play for D'Antoni. I'd just do my thing and if I play, I play, if I don't I can always leave in a year. Someone will give Jordan Hill some cash. He's a 6'10" hustler who can board with the best of them. That's already a good start.

I just want him to succeed and offensively he's so wild. Sometimes he'll make a nice move and sometimes he'll throw up a weird fading hook over Javale McGee and I'm thinking "what the f*** was that?"
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:35 pm

He definitely is not polished offensively. But I think it would be better, and easier for him to work on little hooks and his post game, than learning to shoot from 18-20 feet. I cringe when he gets passed the ball on the move and pulls up and fires from 20 feet out, it just looks bad and most of the time you know it's gonna be a brick.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:52 pm

I don't know what happened when he was taking shots this summer. :man10: He must have built 3 houses and broken 15 backboards with his shot. It's just terrible looking.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:57 pm

therealdeal wrote:I don't know what happened when he was taking shots this summer. :man10: He must have built 3 houses and broken 15 backboards with his shot. It's just terrible looking.

:man10: For real! Pretty much a wasted effort there. He shoulda worked with Luke Walton's ex-coach - you know the one that secured him that 6 year full MLE extension!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:57 pm

:man10: That, or he fooled himself by pulling a Sasha, being money in practice.

Lakerjones wrote:He shoulda worked with Luke Walton's ex-coach - you know the one that secured him that 6 year full MLE extension!

I still attribute that season to Luke being the only player in the NBA to benefit from the new synthetic game ball they started using. As soon as it went away so did his shooting.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Weezy wrote::man10: That, or he fooled himself by pulling a Sasha, being money in practice.

Lakerjones wrote:He shoulda worked with Luke Walton's ex-coach - you know the one that secured him that 6 year full MLE extension!

I still attribute that season to Luke being the only player in the NBA to benefit from the new synthetic game ball they started using. As soon as it went away so did his shooting.

:man10: Yeah, something was definitely working for him with that spongey ball. But no, he actually hired a great shooting coach that summer if you remember in order to bolster that weakness of his. It worked well. His shooting improved greatly, although it wasn't quite as top notch as after the ball went south and also after he got hurt mid-season. But he still had great form. My big beef with Walton was after he got his pay day he ditched the coach and his form got EVEN WORSE than pre-coach. He started shot-putting the ball. I've hated him ever since then. He got paid and then he got really lazy (and injury prone).
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:20 pm

I actually don't blame Jordan, that's all on Mike, he is the one who gave him this assignment...
Jordan is doing what they are asking from him, that's all on MDA, guy is genius, he want to make guy who is all hustle, killing guys on board and going after every rebound out there, to stretch 4.
I am sure that Jordan worked his asss of this summer on his shoot, but it's just not working, but maybe it too early to judge, it's only 2 games, and he didn't get a lot minutes.
I still believe in him.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:46 pm

therealdeal wrote:I don't know what happened when he was taking shots this summer. :man10: He must have built 3 houses and broken 15 backboards with his shot. It's just terrible looking.

This. :man10: He also looks so much more hesitant this year than I have ever seen from him before. Really weird.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:53 pm

This is one guy who I had decent expectations for whatever reason so far he has disappointed. I hope he improves; I like Jordan. I love his energy, toughness, rebounding, etc, but he really has to get it together.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby trodgers on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:51 am

Too early to be concerned about playing differently?

A really quick look at Jordan Hill's Numbers
FGA/36 Minutes with LA:
Year 1: 13.2
Year 2: 12.2
Preseason: 10.7
-Is he not getting as many shots because he's not by the hoop?

FTA/36 Minutes
Year 1: 3.5
Year 2: 4.8
Preseason: 2.4
-Is he drawing fewer FTs because he's taking more jumpers?

OREB/36 Minutes
Year 1: 6.1
Year 2: 6.4
Preseason: 4.8
-Not close enough to board?

Scoring Efficiency
Year 1:
Year 2: 5.6
Preseason: 4.4

Hustle Efficiency
Year 1: 4.5
Year 2: 4.1
Preseason: 3.3
--This is what concerns me. Offensive Rebounds, block, steals, and PFs influence this. This is what Hill did amazingly well. Not doing it all that great so far.

Shots inside 10 feet:
Year 1: 72%
Year 2: 62%
Preseason breakdown:
Jump Shot 10
Hook 1
Layup 3
Tip 1
Dunk 2
(I'm missing one FGA)
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby abeer3 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:14 am

i really think hill is a smallball backup c in this league (as opposed to the starting pf that he would probably prefer to be).

aside from that, it's pretty clear from most of dantoni's comments that hill isn't really in the team's plans. he likes kaman, gasol, and williams primarily at the 4/5 spots, and he'll use hill when he has to (because, let's face it, sacre's not a viable option). i wouldn't be surprised to see hill moved for a pick at some point this season.

all that said, i still like him as a 20mpg energy guy, and there are lots of teams that could use him in that role, imo.
abeer3

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:51 am

That game is what I want and expect from Hill. Most of his shots were at the rim, cutting to the hoop, a putback dunk, that's his game. He looked like himself finally tonight, easy buckets and hustle plays all around, he can't let 'Antoni change the core of who he is as a player.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kblo247 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:26 am

This game was Jordan Hill playing C. He has no place as a PF on this team. And as a C he is third at best and even then Sacre is less injury prone and a fourth of the price. We should dangle him, as he really doesn't fit in terms of what he brings and he's made of glass. Cash out on both Hill and Blake; hope you can attach Meeks to one of them too.

Williams fits the mold of stretch 4 better. He does all the little things better and has actual talent and skill to compliment his hustle. As much as we don't like it, Wes even is better suited to be a 4 (largely because Nick and Xavier are better 3s and Blake a better 2) as he has the long arms, foot speed, and can be told run the floor, clean orebbs for putbacks, cut, and show hard on pick and rolls when defending like Barnes in GS or PHX where he played a lot of 4
kblo247

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:03 am

Unfortunately, Hill and Williams are our only two effective rebounders on this team.

I couldn't count on Pau or Kaman to rebound effectively.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:52 am

Weezy wrote:That game is what I want and expect from Hill. Most of his shots were at the rim, cutting to the hoop, a putback dunk, that's his game. He looked like himself finally tonight, easy buckets and hustle plays all around, he can't let 'Antoni change the core of who he is as a player.

^^ Totally agree. Jordan had a great game, playing his game last night. I really like the chemistry developing between him and Farmar as well. Excellent pick and rolls.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:24 pm

Weezy wrote:That game is what I want and expect from Hill. Most of his shots were at the rim, cutting to the hoop, a putback dunk, that's his game. He looked like himself finally tonight, easy buckets and hustle plays all around, he can't let 'Antoni change the core of who he is as a player.

It helped that Henry, Farmar, and Johnson were able to push the ball and create. If they aren't able to get to the rim, Jordan would have really struggled to make an impact in this game.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:38 pm

therealdeal wrote:

It helped that Henry, Farmar, and Johnson were able to push the ball and create. If they aren't able to get to the rim, Jordan would have really struggled to make an impact in this game.

Well that's why he needs to stay with that unit, and Williams needs to start.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Weezy wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Well that's why he needs to stay with that unit, and Williams needs to start.

Agreed. That means less time for Kaman probably, although I think he'd be a surprisingly okay fit with that unit at Center.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Well that's the unit I said I'd like to see last night,

Farmar/Henry/Johnson/Hill/Kaman

Really good defensive unit, no Blake or Meeks, I think it could work. Kaman to me needs to be backup C and almost split time equally with Pau. Kaman can pretty much play the role of backup PF scoring wise though, while Hill can protect the rim and crash the boards like a center.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:11 pm

Yeah I like that. I had a good feeling about Farmar coming back and so far it's been exactly what we wanted it to be. I think over the course of the season he's going to render Blake useless. It's inevitable because he's just so much better than him at this point. I had a LOT of fun watching that start of the 2nd quarter where Farmar/Meeks/Henry/Johnson just started really cooking and getting things done.

They can really be a great change of pace bench for us.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:09 pm

Which was the bench lineup that was really effective for us?

Farmar/Henry/Johnson/Williams/Hill?

After the starters struggled, this team brought us back and gained the lead in no time.

I think Meeks was part of it hitting a couple threes, but whatever. :man10:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion