Jordan Hill's Summer Assignment: Become A Stretch 4

Re: Jordan Hill's Summer Assignment: Become A Stretch 4

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:51 am

I'm more concerned with who is going to start at SF than Hill starting at 4 which I don't have a problem with. Why is everyone freaking out about Hill all of a sudden? I think he's perfectly capable of playing alongside Gasol. He has before. Do I think Hill is going to become a "Stretch 4" - no. Not in a million years. He can't shoot from distance and his strength is picking up rebounds for garbage points. He plays like a typical PF which isn't a bad thing. If he could ever learn to dive cut the way Odom and Jamison did we'd be in business.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:14 am

Lakerjones wrote:I'm more concerned with who is going to start at SF than Hill starting at 4 which I don't have a problem with. Why is everyone freaking out about Hill all of a sudden? I think he's perfectly capable of playing alongside Gasol. He has before. Do I think Hill is going to become a "Stretch 4" - no. Not in a million years. He can't shoot from distance and his strength is picking up rebounds for garbage points. He plays like a typical PF which isn't a bad thing. If he could ever learn to dive cut the way Odom and Jamison did we'd be in business.

I think he can learn how to roll nicely, but I don't mind him working on a pop shot either. I love that he's working on his jump shot in general. I'm not so much thinking about him being a 3 Point shooter, but if he could develop a nice 15 foot jumper, he'd be a really solid offensive weapon.

And I'm with you on the starting business. Him alongside Pau is going to be pretty nice actually I think.

As for our starting SF: I think it's got to be Johnson honestly. He's athletic, we need the defense, and he's got a semblance of an outside shot to space the floor. Young needs to be our big scoring punch off the bench.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:36 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:I'm more concerned with who is going to start at SF than Hill starting at 4 which I don't have a problem with. Why is everyone freaking out about Hill all of a sudden? I think he's perfectly capable of playing alongside Gasol. He has before. Do I think Hill is going to become a "Stretch 4" - no. Not in a million years. He can't shoot from distance and his strength is picking up rebounds for garbage points. He plays like a typical PF which isn't a bad thing. If he could ever learn to dive cut the way Odom and Jamison did we'd be in business.

I think he can learn how to roll nicely, but I don't mind him working on a pop shot either. I love that he's working on his jump shot in general. I'm not so much thinking about him being a 3 Point shooter, but if he could develop a nice 15 foot jumper, he'd be a really solid offensive weapon.

And I'm with you on the starting business. Him alongside Pau is going to be pretty nice actually I think.

As for our starting SF: I think it's got to be Johnson honestly. He's athletic, we need the defense, and he's got a semblance of an outside shot to space the floor. Young needs to be our big scoring punch off the bench.

I don't mind him working on his shot at all either. Mid-range? Sure! And he could improve there. I just mean he's not going to be Ryan Anderson or anything. I don't want him shooting threes. He doesn't have that range. If he were going to be Channing Frye, he'd be that already. Those are the guys I think of as "Stretch 4's." Mostly I just want him to play his game - hustle, defend, board. Learn to dive cut, too.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:30 pm

Yeah I'm definitely not going to expect a stretch four, but mid-range game is something we've been wanting from Hill for a long time.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Jordan Hill Shooting 1000 jumpers a day

Jordan Hill worked on improving his jumper this offseason by taking at least 1,000 shots per day.

Hill is hoping to become more of a stretch forward in Mike D'Antoni's system.

Hill shot 33 percent from 16 to 23 feet from the basket last season.
Via Mark Medina/Los Angeles Daily News

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/229839/Jordan-Hill-Shooting-1000-Jumpers-Per-Day

Good for him, I'm glad he's working on his shot. As long as those are mid-range jumpers I'm happy. He doesn't need to be shooting threes
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby XXIV on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:28 pm

I remember his mid-range jumper being pretty respectable last season before he got injured. When he returned it was pretty inconsistent, but hopefully all these jumpers help.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:35 pm

I don't mind mid-range jump shots. We've been saying he needed to work on those basically since we got him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Sirron on Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Trade bait if he can't most likely
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby CarFlagChris on Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:37 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Hills pick and pop with Nash should be very effective.
However, he cannot do that if he is ostracized to the corner, like Pau was last year, until Kobe took over coaching the team.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby Weezy on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:59 pm

So he barely played and wasn't very good. 'Antoni trend of not liking him, or just one preseason game trying to get a look at guys trying to make the team instead? I hope not trend, because I prefer Hill play more than a to of small lineups.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:29 pm

I like Hill, but he will have to play better then this.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:19 am

Weezy wrote:So he barely played and wasn't very good. 'Antoni trend of not liking him, or just one preseason game trying to get a look at guys trying to make the team instead? I hope not trend, because I prefer Hill play more than a to of small lineups.

Yeah I can see him being the main victim of MDA antics i.e in and out of the rotation during 10 games stretches for no reason /to play small ball at the 4.

I don't like playing small at the 4 by default , you only do it when you have to match the Lebron/Melo of this world ... it's more an Eastern Conf thing , a lot of West teams still play with a true PF at the 4
wcsoldier81

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:24 am

I thought he was decent out there. Did what he does basically - picked up the garbage, got some boards, gave some help D. I think he'll be a better fit with the starters - Nash, Kobe, Gasol, than with the bench guys.

And just as I thought, he's not going to turn into a stretch 4 any time in the foreseeable future.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:44 am

Lakerjones wrote:I thought he was decent out there. Did what he does basically - picked up the garbage, got some boards, gave some help D. I think he'll be a better fit with the starters - Nash, Kobe, Gasol, than with the bench guys.

And just as I thought, he's not going to turn into a stretch 4 any time in the foreseeable future.

you dont know how many times my buds quipped 'stretch 4 eh' last night every time Hill clanked one
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby trodgers on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:01 pm

D'Antoni doesn't like that style of play, unfortunately. He'd be a bread and butter guy in Phil's rotation, but I just don't think it's going to work out with MDA. Happy to be proven wrong.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:48 pm

trodgers wrote:D'Antoni doesn't like that style of play, unfortunately. He'd be a bread and butter guy in Phil's rotation, but I just don't think it's going to work out with MDA. Happy to be proven wrong.

Yeah, he's a very solid, typical 4 IMO. Most coaches other than D' Antoni would be fine with that. But I agree with you and that's why I said I wasn't so sure that this current team was as great a fit for D' Antoni as they've been saying.

Basically Earl Clark and Jamison were better fits there for him. And I think we lost quite a bit since they are gone.

I look at our squad and we're really heavy on Guards and Centers. And not much in between. Pau, Kaman, Sacre, and Gadzurich makes for 4 Centers.

Hill is the only legit PF. Johnson is most definitely NOT a 4. Then we have 3 PG's and a handful of SG's: Kobe, Meeks, Young, Henry.

We are weak in the forward department. I'm hoping personally that Henry will continue to play well and maybe move to SF. Maybe Johnson will come around there as well and Williams and maybe Landry?

Still who does that leave as a legitimate 4? Only Hill that I can see. Unless Dwyer heals up.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby WilliamHaven on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:48 am

Two games in a row where he hasn't looked good, no matter minutes played. If Sacre can make the most of his minutes, so should Hill no matter "Dantoni style." Rebounding and making put-backs is fundamental...not a style....and he's blowing it. Oh well, hopefully it's just preseason awkwardness.
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:05 am

I think his dog ate his "summer assignment".
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:45 am

Eh, I'm sure Hill doesn't want to go 100% in the presesason knowing what happened last season. I think he's just going through the motions.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:36 am

Punk-101 wrote:I think his dog ate his "summer assignment".

:man10: One thing should be certain after watching Hill's flatfooted clankers, the only time Jordan's name and Stretch 4 should be in the same sentence is: "Jordan Hill will NEVER be a Stretch 4." Sorry. Just use him for what he's good at.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Aonex on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:39 am

Trying to figure out if he put lead weights on his ankles while working on his "jump" shot this summer, cause that thing is ugly.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:42 am

Aonex wrote:

Trying to figure out if he put lead weights on his ankles while working on his "jump" shot this summer, cause that thing is ugly.

:man10: It really is FUGLY. I like the fact that he's trying to improve his game, but man, he needs a shooting coach if he's going to do that, because his form is hideous.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:15 am

He should forget trying to be a stretch 4 and just be a real power forward, Williams and even Caveman can handle the stretch part. Hill is good at what he does, hustle and rebound, and this team needs that kind of player. When our interior defense starts getting their butts handed to them for being too soft, Jordan Hill will be the one that offers some toughness.

I like teams that have tough players, which is why I always liked Metta on this team, but that's what I fear with this team. But, since everyone is new, maybe there are a few I don't know about.
lotus

Postby borri on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:40 am

I don't see Hill in a Laker uniform for more than a couple of months this year. Trade bait.
borri

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:42 am

Hill's shot hasn't changed at all. :man10:

I love this kid, but he's got to grow.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion