Julius Randle Discussion: Out for season - Fractured Tibia

Re: Julius Randle Discussion

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:39 pm

Well there you go, that's huge. Randle has 2 MORE years to get to the age and physical maturity and improve his skills to where Barkley was in those clips. :man1: :man9: :man4:
LTLakerFan

Re: Welcome to LA: Julius Randle!!!

Postby Juronimo on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:39 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
Juronimo wrote:The comparisons have gotten way out of hand. Can we wait until he plays an NBA game? his ceiling is Karl Malone with Lamar Odom handles? Charles Barkley comparisons? :bang:

I saw some summer league games and I don't see how any of you came to this conclusion. I saw an out of control big man with some ball handling ability that is going to have to put in a lot of work to become and NBA player. He has potential but it's just that, potential. I did not see Karl Malone with LO handles. I have no idea where some of you are getting that from. You do realize that Karl Malone is arguably the best PF of all time? This was a player who is 2nd on the all time scorers list who was also an excellent defender. Give him LO handles and he becomes the GOAT.

This is already worse than the Von Wafer is the next Ray Allen thread from a few years ago.

Sorry. Disagree with you completely. Not about him not being Karl Malone with Lamar Odom skills, but with the Barkley, shorter but impactful, beast of a power forward comparisons. Look at them at the same damn age. That was a ROOKIE season highlight clip of Barkley. We are looking recently at Randle just playing for the first time in like 2 freaking months since end of the collegiate championships. Not to mention what he does this whole summer in preparation, in camp, in preseason games and in HIS rookie season.

Think big….loosen up a bit Juronimo. There's a valid comparison here at 19 for these two guys.

We WILL know however once our resident athletic beast / skills expert Lets Go Lakers hopefully checks in. :man1:

You do realize that Barkley is a top 5 PF of all time right? I'd love for Randle to turn into a HOF player. Do I see hall of famer potential? No. I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Could he be a productive NBA player? Maybe. Let's watch him play against NBA talent first.

I saw Barkley play back then. He was good enough even back then that basketball fans knew he would be special. Barkley was compared favorably to his contemporaries like Jordan, Magic, Bird, and Isaiah. He was at those guys level. That means you're saying Randle is on the Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Duncan level if you compare it to guys that are playing now.

I just won't agree with that. I hope he does well here. He's a Laker and I want him to be successful but let's not be ridiculous.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:43 pm

I do realize that. But gawd damn look at the comparison of what Barkley was doing 2 years older and more mature in his rookie season vs what we see Randle doing now at his 240-250 physically cut playing size after 2 months of inactivity. Barkley...MOTOR…just keeps coming!! lakerfan2 said it. Randle….Check. If Randle has alpha dog in him, and I am getting the impression he does…..look the hell out.
LTLakerFan

Postby Center Court on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:16 pm

Juronimo wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:
Juronimo wrote:The comparisons have gotten way out of hand. Can we wait until he plays an NBA game? his ceiling is Karl Malone with Lamar Odom handles? Charles Barkley comparisons? :bang:

I saw some summer league games and I don't see how any of you came to this conclusion. I saw an out of control big man with some ball handling ability that is going to have to put in a lot of work to become and NBA player. He has potential but it's just that, potential. I did not see Karl Malone with LO handles. I have no idea where some of you are getting that from. You do realize that Karl Malone is arguably the best PF of all time? This was a player who is 2nd on the all time scorers list who was also an excellent defender. Give him LO handles and he becomes the GOAT.

This is already worse than the Von Wafer is the next Ray Allen thread from a few years ago.

Sorry. Disagree with you completely. Not about him not being Karl Malone with Lamar Odom skills, but with the Barkley, shorter but impactful, beast of a power forward comparisons. Look at them at the same damn age. That was a ROOKIE season highlight clip of Barkley. We are looking recently at Randle just playing for the first time in like 2 freaking months since end of the collegiate championships. Not to mention what he does this whole summer in preparation, in camp, in preseason games and in HIS rookie season.

Think big….loosen up a bit Juronimo. There's a valid comparison here at 19 for these two guys.

We WILL know however once our resident athletic beast / skills expert Lets Go Lakers hopefully checks in. :man1:

You do realize that Barkley is a top 5 PF of all time right? I'd love for Randle to turn into a HOF player. Do I see hall of famer potential? No. I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Could he be a productive NBA player? Maybe. Let's watch him play against NBA talent first.

I saw Barkley play back then. He was good enough even back then that basketball fans knew he would be special. Barkley was compared favorably to his contemporaries like Jordan, Magic, Bird, and Isaiah. He was at those guys level. That means you're saying Randle is on the Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Duncan level if you compare it to guys that are playing now.

I just won't agree with that. I hope he does well here. He's a Laker and I want him to be successful but let's not be ridiculous.

I think you are missing the "comparison". Nobody is claiming Ju's career trajectory or legacy will be that of Sir Charles.

I think the premise to compare Barkley and Randle is simply is based on physical stature and style of play. Both are undersized at their position but quick, strong, powerful, and use their body well. They both like to grab the ball and push off of rebounds and both have nice moves to create their own shot.

I HOPE Randle is the next Barkey, but that's a high mark. I'd be stoked with a prime 18/12 with a few assists.
Center Court

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:00 pm

Every rookie coming into the League with a high draft number next to their names has lofty comparisons. Just in the same draft Embiid was getting Hakeem comparisons. Does that mean people EXPECT that from him? No. It was just the kind of talent he showed.

Randle showed some real flashes of individual gifts. He was doing things in Summer League that his contemporaries couldn't deal with. He was getting triple teamed because he simply could not be guarded. It's the Summer League, so it's understandably hard to translate that to the NBA, but I don't see why the comparisons to some of these greats is so bad.

I said he could be like Karl on the break and I'm going to stand behind that. Karl on the break was a monster because he was quick, explosive, and strong as hell. Randle fits that bill. The Lamar comparison I think was the weird one, but I don't know that it was a direct comparison to Lamar. I think it was just because he was playing as a Point Forward and he's left handed. Their games are very different though.

The one thing about Randle is that he's incredibly difficult to guard 1 on 1 and the Lakers will take advantage of that. I don't know tat he'll be a Hall of Famer, but I see some real greatness in him. If you don't no biggie. We'll see what happens in a few months.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby CGrand81 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:10 pm

therealdeal wrote:Every rookie coming into the League with a high draft number next to their names has lofty comparisons. Just in the same draft Embiid was getting Hakeem comparisons. Does that mean people EXPECT that from him? No. It was just the kind of talent he showed.

Randle showed some real flashes of individual gifts. He was doing things in Summer League that his contemporaries couldn't deal with. He was getting triple teamed because he simply could not be guarded. It's the Summer League, so it's understandably hard to translate that to the NBA, but I don't see why the comparisons to some of these greats is so bad.

I said he could be like Karl on the break and I'm going to stand behind that. Karl on the break was a monster because he was quick, explosive, and strong as hell. Randle fits that bill. The Lamar comparison I think was the weird one, but I don't know that it was a direct comparison to Lamar. I think it was just because he was playing as a Point Forward and he's left handed. Their games are very different though.

The one thing about Randle is that he's incredibly difficult to guard 1 on 1 and the Lakers will take advantage of that. I don't know tat he'll be a Hall of Famer, but I see some real greatness in him. If you don't no biggie. We'll see what happens in a few months.

I agree with this post 100%, nicely done.
CGrand81

Postby abeer3 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:40 pm

I need to see randle face up nba defenders in space and go at them like he did the d-leaguers in summer league before I get excited. the 5-foot cushion that nba defenders give him--plus their greater strength and size--might make what he did in sl impossible at the next level.

again, if he had a 15 footer, that would change everything. but right now, I think he can be guarded (and rather easily) by nba defenders.
abeer3

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:40 pm

I will say he can't be guarded because he has awesome mega strength and electromagnetic hops...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby wolfpaclaker on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:43 pm

Randle has potential to be a Lamar Odom caliber player IMO. More consistent than Lamar because Randle has a mental approach that is stronger, but less talented/skilled. He may wind up being a better player than Lamar, and I'll be happy if he can be a 3rd option 15/9 guy on a championship caliber team.

Could he be a #1 or 2? Possibly. But he lacks a consistent jumpshot. He doesn't have any incredible advantage that you could say would make him that kind of post player. He doesn't have off the charts athleticism like Blake Griffen. So hows does he get that 22-23 ppg? I think the realistic scenario for us and JR is 15/9 or so for a 6-7 years. Some years more than that average of 15/9, some years a little less than that. I could see a few all-star appearances.

I'm not sure he is franchise altering or top 10 NBA talent though.
wolfpaclaker

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:33 pm

1. He's a rookie. He's got many years ahead of him to add things to his repitoire like a jumpshot or some post moves.

2. Outside of being lefty and having handles for a forward, the Lamar comparisons end there. Randles game is based on strength, not length. Randle seems to be more athletic than some people credit him for, it's just the way he plays. He's shown more often than not, he can finish and finish with authority.

The kid hasn't even played a first NBA game yet, and you're already counting him out. There's comparing him to players, and then there's straight up not even looking into what goes into the development of a player. Kobe honestly didn't really "break out" until 1999-2000. Before that, he was just a young guy trying to earn his place. Kobe didn't come into the league with post moves, he worked for it, and that's what you have to hope to expect from Randle.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Toklat on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:23 am

A nice looking girl comes in the room... she looks great, get a little excited looking at her. She starts taking off her clothes and looks even better, people watching get a little bit more excited.. each piece of clothing comes off people get more and more excited.. when all her clothes are off and people can see what a great looking girl she is they are all cheering and telling her how beautiful she is..

A couple of guys in the room watching the same girl... sure she looks good with her clothes on but I bet her breasts sag and she has stretch marks, maybe some moles, cellulite.... as she takes some clothes off.. well no stretch marks, her boobs actually look pretty good... still could have cellulite... no guess not girl actually looks pretty nice... yeah well but she is dumb as a stick.. oh, a Harvard grad... well....hmmm....
Toklat

Re: Welcome to LA: Julius Randle!!!

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:26 am

LTLakerFan wrote:OK. Another sincere shout out to Let's Go Lakers, because I believe he is sincere and fixated on athleticism in the NBA. Honest question…..no mocking because of your dual affiliation between Lakers and those guys across the hall with giant selfies hung in the rafters at Staples. :man12:

I asked this question many pages ago and think it was a worthy question about Randle. Just looking at their skill sets, with accompanying athleticism and their "games" at the age of 19…….who would one (you, or anyone else jump in too) "think" might have the higher upside in their "prime" 6 or 7 years later, as a "beast" of a shorter power forward…. Charles Barkley or Julius Randle? Barkley had the BIG lower mass and coordination and seemed to me to jump out of the gym. But Randle is a little taller, and has also "great" lower mass with fluidity of movement and footwork……and reportedly a 38" vertical in camp. He doesn't play with it, but supposedly he can do it.

So, LGL no one else answered the hypothetical. It is kind of long. But I asked, at 19 years old, from what we saw that Barkley had, and what Randle has "beast wise potentially" are we looking at with Randle maybe almost as beastly an impact as Barkley, maybe "as" beastly an impact, or holy crap…..maybe "more" of a beastly impact than Barkley? For a shorter power forward?

C. Witherspoon was supposed to be the next Barkley. He was even more explosive and athletic than Barkley. But he didn't pan out. Why? Because he didn't have the game to back up his athleticism. Basketball isn't just about athleticism (even though you might assume I think that's the case :man1: ). It's also a game of skills.

Yeah, at 19, you can compare Randle to Barkley in terms of POTENTIAL only. But that's not saying much. So many guys are drafted based on POTENTIAL and end up being complete busts. Like any other player coming into this league, the question is going to be how much game will he have? How many different skill sets will be able to add to his arsenal? At this level, you need to be a certain height with a certain amount of athleticism to be able to compete. But once you fit that description, it's about game.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:57 am

Right, and that's all that is. We're just comparing skillsets and hoping that he can at least scratch the surface of what is to be projected.

It's was never about expecting a player to be like said player, but we see enough potential currently to see that he might get there.

I mean, just looking at that Barkley highlight video, do you not see the similarities in some of those plays that we saw from the short sample from Randle in Summer League? A PF rebounding a missed shot, taking it coast to coast, and making a point guard like assist. Finishing through contact and length, despite being undersized.

We can draw comparisons from what we've seen, and kind of generalize what type of player we can HOPE he can be. I'm sure Kobe was drawing the Michael comparisons with that fadeaway jumper, the dunks, the similar size. And like most of you guys here, everyone probably doubted that comparison. Oh he's just a rookie, don't even compare him to guys like MJ and Dr. J. I'm sure Kobe got his fair share too.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:57 am

:man10: OK sorry I specifically asked you then, LGL. This didn't seem like rocket science to compare "skills" also then, MR. all of a sudden about the game and skills of the player more than athleticism such is usually first off the tips of your fingers…..and Randles athleticism, size, mass down low, fluidity, handles, yada, yada that you have already waxed poetic about, and that we got good "glimpses" of with him literally coming off 2 months of inactivity basketball wise, at 19 years old. No summer work under his belt, training camp or pre-season games.

Vs that clip above of what Barkley was doing in that Rookie highlights clip at the age of 21 after 3 years of college.

It was more of a hypothetical where do we see a "chance" he could conceivably wind up "maybe" almost as beast like for a short PF, maybe as beast like, or holy crap if he is an alpha dog and loves the work like Kobe and the great ones….maybe possibly even more of a beast for a short PF.

In my opinion the biggest hurdle for him overcome to be included in comparisons to Barkley in the future, is that in spite of Randle's reported 38" vertical, he doesn't seem to use it in games. Charles did and jumped out of the freaking gym considering his size and mass.
LTLakerFan

Postby SOAD on Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:33 am

An interesting stat on Randle, I pay no attention whatsoever to NCAA so I'm sure a lot of you already know, but:

Randle ended the 2013-14 season with 24 double-doubles, the second most double-doubles by a UK player in school history, behind Dan Issel's 25 in 1969-70, and the most double-doubles by a UK freshman (the previous record was shared by Demarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis at 20).
SIXTEEN
SOAD
Club-Dodgers.com Admin

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:46 pm

SOAD wrote:An interesting stat on Randle, I pay no attention whatsoever to NCAA so I'm sure a lot of you already know, but:

Randle ended the 2013-14 season with 24 double-doubles, the second most double-doubles by a UK player in school history, behind Dan Issel's 25 in 1969-70, and the most double-doubles by a UK freshman (the previous record was shared by Demarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis at 20).

I messed around with Google and Wiki trying to find any college double double numbers for Barkley to no avail. Might not have had the right phrase, searched long enough or they weren't keeping them then.

Reading everywhere though he was a rebounding monster. Using that jumping ability with that kind of mass was devastating. Hopefully Randle can become a good rebounder, but without the Round Mound of Rebound's hops that "level of awesomeness" is probably not in his future. But at 2 years younger and only 1 year in college, Randle is closer to "LeBron" in the open court with that kind of mass, same as Barkley…..now, than Barkley was 2 years later at 21 in his rookie season.

Julius is going to have his own special, dominant basketball attributes in the NBA.
LTLakerFan

Postby Lakers79 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:41 am

He could be really good, reminds me of Anthony Mason, want to see more of his jumper though. I do like what I've seen so far, impressive, especially having not played in 2 mos., I've tried that, not easy.
Lakers79

Postby purp n gold on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:24 am

Randle is going to be a good player, but he is NOTHING like Lamar Odom. Odom had guard-caliber handles. Randle has good handles for a power forward.

In terms of dribbling/ball handling, I like the Anthony Mason comparison. However his offensive game is much better than Mason's.

Barkley... I'm not ready to go that far yet.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby OX1947 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:48 am

Why did he drop to 7? Was it really his foot issues? What ever those are.
OX1947

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:57 am

OX1947 wrote:Why did he drop to 7? Was it really his foot issues? What ever those are.

1. Screw in his foot was perceived as a problem before the draft.
2. Orlando decided they had to have Aaron Gordon for some reason.
3. People fell in love with the intrigue of Exum and Embiid.
4. Boston decided to field a team of all guards.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:04 pm

therealdeal wrote:
OX1947 wrote:Why did he drop to 7? Was it really his foot issues? What ever those are.

Do you think Randle would have been the first pick last year?
OX1947

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:10 pm

He was in HS before last year. He is only 19 years old.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:13 pm

OX1947 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Do you think Randle would have been the first pick last year?

Undoubtedly if he'd been in the draft last year he'd have been first.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:12 pm

I think it's crazy that he fell to 7th. I think based on actual college play plus potential, he was a top 3 or 4 talent, right in the mix with Wiggins, Parker, and Embiid. He was ranked there to start the college season, and pretty much all during it, and then he just dropped because of a screw in his foot apparently. I can understand the argument of taking a gamble on the hype of Exum, and I can see taking a more experienced and established college player in Smart ( though I still dong get Smart over Randle when they have Rondo). The one pick I can't get is Gordom, I can't believe a team took Gordon over him. Years from now Gordon could be great and I could be wrong, but from what we've actually seen of all these guys on the court so far, I don't get it.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:39 pm

It's a good omen for our future and Randle doesn't get it either and is pissed to show everyone about the mistake they made. All the same he's thrilled to be here. Que Randle like at 8 years (?) old in the Kobe jersey. :man9:
LTLakerFan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion