Julius Randle Discussion: Out for season - Fractured Tibia

Re: Julius Randle Discussion

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:25 am

therealdeal wrote:Again, I'm not even comparing their type of play or anything about their basketball ability. I'm just saying that Randle, from everything I've seen, is probably impossible to guard in a vacuum one-on-one. Obviously this is a team game and it'll hardly ever be one-on-one exactly, but watching him get actively triple-teamed in Summer League kind of cemented that in my head. Who else was getting covered like that in Summer League? Honestly I don't know.

He's got so much work to do on his game. He needs a jump shot. He needs to stay focused defensively. He needs to obviously get in great shape again because he was gassed quickly in the Summer League games. He needs to work on not just being active on the glass, but boxing out and getting to the right spots on the floor. He needs to work on his right hand dribbling, shooting, passing, etc.

He's a long, long way from where he can get. My ONLY comparison here is that his body type and athleticism looks unique and extremely difficult to match-up against. I'm already excited to see how he looks in pre-season and in training camp. I'd love for him to take the starting job from Boozer, but he's got to earn it.

Well, the one thing comparison that I DID want to make was the way Randle and Lebron drive to the hoop, not necessarily how they finish, as Lebron is obviously the superior leaper, but in terms of strength and speed. When they put the ball on the floor, it's hard to stop these guys without throwing multiple players at them.

It wasn't awhile ago when Lebron entered the league that everyone was harping Lebron for his jumper. I for sure remember Lebron not being the type of jump shooter he is today. He was terrible at free throws, outside shots, even though the mechanics were there.

Again, like you, I'm not saying that's what Randle will be, but our hopes is that Randle can improve his game, and build his own brand of superstar ball, growing up a Laker.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:27 am

I just know that heat is going to come for even saying those two in the same breath, so I'm building my defense. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:30 am

Well, if people actually read what we actually have to say, instead of focusing on Randle/Lebron...nope nope nope, then they will actually agree with us. :man12:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:16 pm

therealdeal wrote:Again, I'm not even comparing their type of play or anything about their basketball ability. I'm just saying that Randle, from everything I've seen, is probably impossible to guard in a vacuum one-on-one. Obviously this is a team game and it'll hardly ever be one-on-one exactly, but watching him get actively triple-teamed in Summer League kind of cemented that in my head. Who else was getting covered like that in Summer League? Honestly I don't know.

He's got so much work to do on his game. He needs a jump shot. He needs to stay focused defensively. He needs to obviously get in great shape again because he was gassed quickly in the Summer League games. He needs to work on not just being active on the glass, but boxing out and getting to the right spots on the floor. He needs to work on his right hand dribbling, shooting, passing, etc.

He's a long, long way from where he can get. My ONLY comparison here is that his body type and athleticism looks unique and extremely difficult to match-up against. I'm already excited to see how he looks in pre-season and in training camp. I'd love for him to take the starting job from Boozer, but he's got to earn it.

I've said it before in fun but also very seriously, I hope Boozer stays healthy. How would you like to be his age and miles in the league competing with Julius for your position. He is going to expend a lot of energy at practices. How do you protect him for good of the team. That's on Byron being smart and Kobe helping him in the communications with Julius. A healthy Boozer is important for 2014/2015 Lakers. And he definitely can be a good teaching influence for Julius. And clearly Randle can have some FUN smokin' fools and running through opponents on 2nd strings when he comes in. Just don't kill Boozer in practice. :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:13 pm

I think that'll be a fun practice battle to watch. Boozer is no spring chicken, but he's a big dude. Julius is going to run into him and it'll be a pretty big impact. But honestly Randle can and will just run around Boozer, just like Boozer will use his dirty old tricks to score on the young man in practices.

It'll be fun. I hope there's video of it once camp rolls around.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:54 pm

I'm down for all of that. Sure. Just hope that Scott and Kobe ride herd enough on Julius' competitive, chip on his shoulder emotions enough that he sees the greater good in not beating the crap out of Boozer in practices. If it gets out of hand Boozer or anyone would fire back at some point and last thing any team needs is 2 bigs pissed at each other and hurting the performance of each other because of it. This is nothing new for sure and I'm hopeful it will be channeled properly toward other teams' players, not Randle's teammate because he's having to come off the bench for now.
LTLakerFan

Postby laakers on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:10 am

I think Randle is selfless enough to sacrifice for old man Booz, I hope so at least. I hope he realizes how much Booz has to teach him, they have similar offensive games.
laakers

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:38 am

I don't think it'll be a problem. At first anybody would be upset at Randle for the way he plays, but he's a rook. Every rook goes 110% at first because they just don't get the grind, but he'll figure it out. Kobe and Byron will love that he goes that hard in practice, but they'll find the right way to channel the kid's aggressiveness.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:56 am

laakers wrote:I think Randle is selfless enough to sacrifice for old man Booz, I hope so at least. I hope he realizes how much Booz has to teach him, they have similar offensive games.

Julius does not want to be a bench player. I mean, nobody does but JR is the type of guy who wants to be and thinks he is better than everyone else. Ala a young Kobe.
Center Court

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:00 am

laakers wrote:I think Randle is selfless enough to sacrifice for old man Booz, I hope so at least. I hope he realizes how much Booz has to teach him, they have similar offensive games.

Selfless? Sacrifice? Boozer is a vet who earned his starting spot. Randle is a rookie. It was never a spot for Randle to lose, it's one for Randle to develop and earn.

On the contrary, Boozer and Randle have very different games, until it gets down low. Randle thrives with the ball in his hands, driving strong to the basket and finishing strong. Boozer is best known for his pick and roll skills. He's great at getting to the open spot and hitting the jumper/finishing at the basket. That is something Randle needs to learn from Boozer, that he's not always going to be the one initiating the offense, but at the same time, can just be as effective in a set play rather than an iso which he is so used to.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:00 am

Center Court wrote:

Julius does not want to be a bench player. I mean, nobody does but JR is the type of guy who wants to be and thinks he is better than everyone else. Ala a young Kobe.

Kobe had to beat out EJ for his spot.. Randle will have to beat out Boozer.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:04 am

LakersN4 wrote:
Center Court wrote:

Precisely. That's the way it should be. Come in and earn your stripes.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:10 am

therealdeal wrote:
LakersN4 wrote:
Center Court wrote:

Precisely. That's the way it should be. Come in and earn your stripes.

Agreed and I think you're proving my point that he's going to want to go out and eat Boozer's heart out so that he can earn the starting gig. In no way shape or form is he going "sacrifice for old man Booz". He wants that spot. Battling someone for the position and coming up short is very different than just accepting being a back up.

That said, the combination of Kobe/Nash/Boozer is a really good mix of vets for Julius to learn from. I'm very excited to see just how good he can become. IMO he will be a top 3-5 PF in the NBA one day but I guess only time will tell.
Center Court

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:16 am

Yeah he's going to go at Boozer hard, but that's good. Good for Boozer and good for Julius. Boozer won't let the kid get too crazy and he's a big dude himself so he'll carry himself just fine. It'll be on the coaches to make sure Julius doesn't get too nuts out there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:22 am

lakerfan2 wrote:

Selfless? Sacrifice? Boozer is a vet who earned his starting spot. Randle is a rookie. It was never a spot for Randle to lose, it's one for Randle to develop and earn.

On the contrary, Boozer and Randle have very different games, until it gets down low. Randle thrives with the ball in his hands, driving strong to the basket and finishing strong. Boozer is best known for his pick and roll skills. He's great at getting to the open spot and hitting the jumper/finishing at the basket. That is something Randle needs to learn from Boozer, that he's not always going to be the one initiating the offense, but at the same time, can just be as effective in a set play rather than an iso which he is so used to.

Good post. :smash:
LTLakerFan

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:52 pm

Scott said the best PF will start. There will be many practices to figure out who should start. The cream will rise to the top. If Randle does start right away, one thing to worry about is his confidence being ruined if he has some awful games. So in that sense, I won't have any issues if Booz starts the first month or so, just so we don't put too much pressure on him.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby LukeWalton4MVP on Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:57 am

NBA ‏@NBA 4m

How do you like my new threads? #NBARooks with @j30_randle

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/495945363933904896
LukeWalton4MVP

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:46 am

guess the NBA really moved the logo to the back of the jerseys. gearing up for ads on the front?

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby TIME on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:18 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:Image

Cool pic!
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:32 pm

TIME wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:Image

Cool pic!

first time I saw this last night the first thing that went through my head was the old Kobe Adidas commercial through he was flying through the air dunking

"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:36 pm

Good Interview from Julius about the grade he gave himself at Summer League, what he has really improved on since, and thoughts going forward with training camp less than 2 weeks away.

http://www.twcsportsnet.com/videos/2014/09/18/julius-randle-talks-about-adapting-to-the-pro-game-september-18-2014
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:30 am

Nice. I like that this kid expects himself to be great every day. I hope Kobe sees that in him and fosters it.

I HOPE what he gave was a "D". That means he's got more ceiling than we thought he did.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:01 pm

Can't wait to see that guy play. He should do very well. Here's to the beginning to the successor of the Post-Kobe era. :beer:
lotus

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:32 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:Good Interview from Julius about the grade he gave himself at Summer League, what he has really improved on since, and thoughts going forward with training camp less than 2 weeks away.

http://www.twcsportsnet.com/videos/2014/09/18/julius-randle-talks-about-adapting-to-the-pro-game-september-18-2014

Love this guy. Continue to be impressed. Big time player at a big time school, 1A or B alpha dog written all over him. Listent to him talk (can handle press at 18 years old and not give "rote" answers) and what he knows about himself and what he is immediately working on to get better. Marcus Smart impact in a larger player, and being a homer, I'm predicting a more mature mentally, earlier, player than Smart. Thanks Celts :jam2: :jam2:
LTLakerFan

Postby unpossibl1 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:14 pm

Love what I've seen from him so far and I'm excited to get a look at him in the preseason to see how has grown between the last summer league game and now.
unpossibl1

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion