just a thought but what about Eddie

just a thought but what about Eddie

Postby SWOL on Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:21 pm

Heat looking to unload Jones
Miami Herald
Herald columnist Dan Le Batard writes that the addition of Dwyane Wade makes an Eddie Jones trade even more likely. The biggest obstacle appears to be finding a taker for Jones and his "crippling contract".

I know it is little crazy but hear me out for a min

Riley wants to unload Jones for expiring contacts
-give Rob Horry (5.3 mil)
-give Derek Fisher (4 mil)
-next years first round pick
in return for
-Eddie Jones (approx 9mil)
next
-sign either PJ Brown, Keon Clark or Dale Davis to the MLE
next
-sign Antonio Daniels to a LLE

Phil loves big guards, had and said before he wished he was here one year eariler to keep Eddie

1 Antonio Daniels / Janero Pargo
2 Eddie Jones / Kareem Rush
3 Kobe (MJ's pos. in triangle) / Deaven Goerge / Luke
4 PJ or KC or DD / Brian Cook / Slava
5 Diesel / poss. Scott Williams

can anyone say RINGS :bow:
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby SWOL on Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:27 pm

I AM OFFICIALLY APPLING FOR MITCH'S JOB AS GM OF THE LAKERS
SWOL

Postby Guest on Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:34 pm

first good post i've read so far i'm kinda hoping we get keon clark(shot blocker) and antonio daniels(6-4 good size, takes it to the hole strong) that way we get a more athletic and better on D.....plus keon could play center when shaq's not in the game.....

Postby crucifido on Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:54 am

O.K. - put the bong down..... (just kidding, but really)

Why do you want Eddie Jones on this team? What can he provide that isn't already being provided on the team right now?

He consistently doesn't show up for the entire season (on any of the teams he's been on so far), he is as injury prone as they come and he is a mentally weak player. He's too easily broken down during a game and has no go to move that would make him any better than any other average shooting guard in the NBA.

When Eddie left the Lakers, it opened the door for Kobe shine. If Eddie came back he would be nothing more than a salary cap killer on a team that can ill afford any huge contracts or playoff liabilites.

Bring back Eddie? NO FREAKIN' WAY!!
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby zetaw00d on Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:13 am

As much i would love to see an eddie jones and kobe back court, eddie is to expensive. He has game but the is making too much.
zetaw00d

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:09 am

I agree, EDDIE is a real good person... its just sad he never showed up for us in the PLAYOFFS and or big games. To top it all off.. he makes way too much money....

swolswol wrote
1 Antonio Daniels / Janero Pargo
2 Eddie Jones / Kareem Rush
3 Kobe (MJ's pos. in triangle) / Deaven Goerge / Luke
4 PJ or KC or DD / Brian Cook / Slava
5 Diesel / poss. Scott Williams

JORDAN by the way played SHOOTING GUARD... NOT SMALL FORWARD...
REMEMBER A GUY NAME PIPPEN?.... HE WAS PLAYING THE SF SPOT
#1_Kobe_fan

Just so you know

Postby Calimatic on Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:36 am

Pipen played the point forward position in the triangle. Jordan played the post or striker position in the triangle. Kobe can play the same position as Jordan did and has on several occasion.
Calimatic

Postby FirstLady on Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:11 pm

I would LOOOOOOVE to have Eddie back! It broke my heart when he was traded, but I understood that they had to sweeten the deal just to unload Elden "I'm a Retard" Campbell.
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby SWOL on Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:27 pm

LOOK EDDIE IS TALL ATHLETIC 2 GUARD... LETS JUST BE HONEST ABOUT WHAT HE IS..... 15 TO 18 ppg......4 TO 5 reb..... 4 TO 5 asst.....3 + stl..... HE IS NOT A NUMBER ONE GUY LIKE IS IN MIAMI, HE IS NOT EVEN A NUMBER 2 GUY LIKE HE WAS HERE..... BUT HE'D BE A HELUVA 3RD OPTION, HE IS UNSELFISH AND A GOOD DEFENDER.....YOU CAN HAVE HIM FOR THE SAME CAP NUMBER AS HORRY AND FISH
SWOL

Postby crucifido on Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:18 pm

Eddie Jones is worth the value of 2 players that actually show up for the playoffs? (Not this year for Horry due to being flat out exhausted and for Fisher being overmatched and tired) And on top of that his salary would restrict the Lakers from obtaining any free agents for the next couple of years.

I never understood why everyone got so immediately attached to Eddie Jones. What did he do here that was so spectacular. He had a couple great defensive runs during the regular season but apart from that he has shown his owrth by how many times he has been dealt. Maybe it's because he was the highest draft pick since Worthy so people felt obligated to love him, but I just never got the fascination. Especially since the year they traded him the Lakers turned around and won the championship. Why people why?
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:22 pm

I love eddie and we could turn him into a point guard in the triangle. Play Kobe at SG and Devean @ SF with Adrian Griffin, Erioc Piatkowski or James Posey (whichever we can get for the LLE) to replace Foxie while he recovers and to back Kobe up in the playoffs...
Snakell Beast

Postby crucifido on Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:45 pm

At his salary? Never happen.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Re: Just so you know

Postby zetaw00d on Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:27 am

Calimatic wrote:Pipen played the point forward position in the triangle. Jordan played the post or striker position in the triangle. Kobe can play the same position as Jordan did and has on several occasion.

Luke Walton will play point forward, since fox will be out for the begining of the season. Phil likes Walton's handles and passing!!!! Can walton be as good as pippen????? Or be the next pippen and kobe the next jordan? I think the Lakers are goin to look like the bulls (97-99) again! Which is good!!!
zetaw00d

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:55 pm

yea... but Walton lacks the LATERAL movement. He is somewhat slow footed. This is probably his only weakness but he makes up by doing everything else very well. I don't know if you can compare him to PIPPEN because PIP had long arms/athletic/and was their best man defender. PIPPEN & JORDAN refered to themselves as the DOBERMANS because of how they hounded the ball. I don't see that in Walton. However, Walton will bring in other intangibles to the lakers. Walton might very well be a better passer than PIP.
I just hope SHAQ don't take out his frustration on LUKE because SHAQ really detest BILL WALTON.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby FirstLady on Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:09 pm

Cruc, I liked Eddie's outside shooting and his speed. He was pretty decent from behind the arch and at steals. I also believe had he been a Laker when Phil started coaching, it would have been a whole different story.
FirstLady

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:12 pm

I love the fact that Eddie doesn't have to shoot to have an effective game. He can shut down opposing players with his D, and can contribute through the intangibles he can bring to a team.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby crucifido on Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:12 pm

That's cool First Lady, I just thought he didn't do anything any more special than a bunch of other mid-level shooting guards in the league.

With or without Phil he played the same style as Kobe, when they were on the court together it was a mess. They were too similar and the choice had to be made. Personally, I'm glad the Lakers held onto Kobe.

And like I said, ironically the year he was traded the Lakers rolled to the championship. When Eddie was in the lineup they struggled to find a team identity. But, Phil also had a lot to do with forging a team identity.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:16 pm

Lets say Eddie and Kobe are in the same team....I would tell Kobe to be his normal all-around self with a little more emphasis on scoring, while I'll tell Eddie to just play D and compliment Kobe.
Last edited by Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby FirstLady on Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:23 pm

I would love to see him play alongside the player Kobe has become! :jam2:
FirstLady

Postby crucifido on Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:46 pm

At the price of not being able to sign any free agents for the next 2 years?

There's cheaper players in the league that can do just a much.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:49 pm

I was a big time EDDIE JONES fan.... I had the chance to meet him over at NIKETOWN in costa mesa. He is a real cool guy. I like how he played defense in the regular season. He's just a totally different player in the post season. He somewhat does not turn it up a notch when the big game comes. He gets intimidated by players.... this is probably his major knock. Give Eddie an elbow and he will be ineffective the rest of the game. Remember when Rider lit him up... or when Hornecek with a bad hampspring still torched Eddie. There were heat games in the playoffs when EDDIE would get 5 points!!! and these are PLAYOFF games!! You would expect more from your premiere SG in your team to produce when your team needs you. Eddie excels when he plays defense, when he gets his steals. He gets half of his points in transition cause he runs the floor so well. I would take a chance on him but his price-tag is hard to overlook. Also, I wouldn't count on him to guard the tougher guards in the League or else you want to see him fade away during the game.

I agree with crucifido there are other above average talent such as his for a much lower price-tag
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:20 pm

I agree that we can far better players in a cheaper price. One such example is Antonio Daniels.

However, with teh Kobe and Eddie scenario, we don't need Eddie to be that premiere SG that we need in teh playoffs. We have Kobe for that. All we want from Eddie (if Kobe and Eddie was in the same team and I believe will not happen) is just to play D and compliment Kobe. He doesn't have to be intimidated by opposing guards and should feel less pressure, since we don't expect Eddie to carry us. WE HAVE KOBE FOR THAT. WE HAVE KOBE TO CARRY US. EDDIE CAN JUST COMPLIMENT AND PLAY JUST THE D. IF EDDIE SCORES THEN ITS A PLUS, BUT KOBE SHOULD HANDLE ALL THE SCORING.

ITS A NICE THOUGHT OF KOBE AND EDDIE IN THE SAME TEAM AGAIN, BUT THE CHANCES OF THAT HAPPENING IS SLIM.

ANYWAYS I AGREE WITH YOU BOTH THAT FAR BETTER PLAYERS THAT ARE CHEAPER EXISTS.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Sallian on Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:28 pm

[quote="ITS A NICE THOUGHT OF KOBE AND EDDIE IN THE SAME TEAM AGAIN, BUT THE CHANCES OF THAT HAPPENING IS SLIM.

ANYWAYS I AGREE WITH YOU BOTH THAT FAR BETTER PLAYERS THAT ARE CHEAPER EXISTS.[/quote]

Now if only Eddie can be like Malone and Howard and accept minimum pay for the amount of experience he has, then having him and one of the two PFs signed with the Lakers would make this a sweet reality. Although i'm still hoping for Payton and one of the PFs to sign ... this wouldn't be such a bad alternative if Eddie is cool with it.

I still remember when Shaq and Eddie would run the "Give Shaq the ball, Eddie runs thru the middle and grabs a pass from O'Neal high above for a spectacular dunk!!" play. :jam2:

Of course that year they played together was probably the best team they had. Even better than any of the rosters they had on their 3 years of reigning as champions.

Van Exel, Eddie, Kobe, Shaq ... wasn't Elden there too? I can't quite remember if he was or wasn't.
#34 - [Sallian] - #8
-[LAKERSfan4LIFE]-
Sallian

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:17 pm

Sallian,

Elden was there too. At one point the Lakers had Kobe, Shaq, Eddie, Nick, Elden, and Cedric Ceballos in one roster. I agree that they were very talented and far more athletic and skilled than the Lakers of the 3-peat.

I guess talent is not everything. Just ask Dallas, Kings, and Portland.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

:

Postby JSM on Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:18 pm

If only we had Phil back then imagine how much better we would have been
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion