Kareem to Malone: Go After a Title

Kareem to Malone: Go After a Title

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:33 am

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is aware that Karl Malone is in pursuit of his all-time NBA scoring record. But the Hall of Fame center believes Malone should pursue another of Abdul-Jabbar's achievements even harder: A world championship.

"A championship should be everybody's motivation," said Abdul-Jabbar, who was honored during Game 4 of the NBA Finals on Wednesday. "That's the most important thing. That's why I played the game." ...

..."It will be something for him to hang his hat on. Not winning any world championships, that's tough," Abdul-Jabbar said. "It must be really frustrating for him to have such a fine career but have nothing that really sets him apart. So [the scoring record] might be it."...

...If he maintains his motivation and stays consistent, he'll be able to do it," Abdul-Jabbar said. "I'm not really too involved in it. He's had a great career. And if he breaks the record, it's great for him, but it's not going to affect me too much."

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Jun/06132003/sports/sports.asp
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:50 am

Records are made to be broken, but championships are earned. Karl shouldn't go after a record, cuz it's just that, a record, and sooner or later, he won't even have that anymore, cuz like I said, records are made to be broken... But championships can never be taken away, cuz u get rings, a championship banner, and that Larry O'Brien in ya arena. That's what's worth it all, in the long run!
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Danny Ainge on Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:52 pm

Heres a mind boggler to ponder, If Malone is a Laker next season and he breaks the record, will we as Laker fans cheer or Boo? On one hand an eternal Laker who has brought so much has just had his record snapped by a player who only played one year in his beloved Los Angeles, on the other hand Karl is a legend and does deserve the title.

What do you guys think?
Danny Ainge

Postby FirstLady on Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:32 pm

I agree with Kareem.

And, to answer D.A.'s question........

If you're a true fan of the Lakers as a "team," then any addition to the team that helps them win a championship is worth cheering for.
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:14 pm

I guess Kareem is trying to put a good word for us. I guess once you play for the Lakers, you always will be a Laker. Thankx Kareem.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:23 pm

You cheer the man. He has brought so much to the NBA and the world of basketball itself. Sure we have hated & despised him in the past, but if he joins us as a Laker, he is ours!
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:46 pm

Even though most of us hated Malone, he's prolly gonna be in our future... But like I said records are made to be broken, and he's played virually every game and if he somehow breaks the record, then so be it. Individual records come with the territory, and it's a blessing to witness them.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:14 pm

All Jerks are eventually forgiven, just look at Bill Russell that guy was a major jerk back in the day but now he is a living legend.
Danny Ainge

Postby Spurfanatic50 on Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:04 am

Danny Ainge wrote:Heres a mind boggler to ponder, If Malone is a Laker next season and he breaks the record, will we as Laker fans cheer or Boo? On one hand an eternal Laker who has brought so much has just had his record snapped by a player who only played one year in his beloved Los Angeles, on the other hand Karl is a legend and does deserve the title.

What do you guys think?

If Malone was a Laker, he wouldn't get enough shots to break the record.
THE FOURTH TIME AROUND --- IS EVEN BETTER THAN THE FIRST TIME.
Spurfanatic50
Clublakers Rep: Spurs

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:10 pm

And u know this for a fact? If Malone was a Laker, he wouldnt worry about the record, cuz records aren't anything compared to winnin a championship.
LakersGyrl2003

Return to Lakers Discussion