Kareem's Statue: Skyhook

Re: Kareem To Get Statue

Postby retro_nights on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:14 pm

well deserved and long overdue.

Shaq should get a statue.

I saw someone suggest Elgin Baylor as well. He's always overlooked as a Laker legend.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby The Rock on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Juronimo on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:38 pm

I can't wait to see a statue of Kareem shooting his trademark sky hook.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:39 pm

The Rock wrote:Image

that's dope :jam2:
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:27 pm

About time.

But it's an utter joke that De La Hoya has a statue. What the heck has he done at Staples except fight ther a few times?

And i doubt Shaq gets a statue. He got us 3 rings but like others have said, only a portion of his career have been with LA. A jersey is fine with me.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby kray28 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Happy for Cap...totally deserved.

As for the "whine" comments...while I think he could have handled it better, but I also think he had a right to feel slighted. Kareem is one of the least appreciated Laker greats.

Other thoughts: Lakers are going to run out of room for statues out front.
kray28

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:21 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:About time.

But it's an utter joke that De La Hoya has a statue. What the heck has he done at Staples except fight ther a few times?

And i doubt Shaq gets a statue. He got us 3 rings but like others have said, only a portion of his career have been with LA. A jersey is fine with me.

a few times?

he fought there once...and lost to a guy who's fought 3 times at Staples and never lost; Shane Mosely...Shane's more deserving for a statue than De La Fishnets
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:34 pm

De La Hoya was more for the city than it was for the Staples Center.

And if you guys didn't like that statue, then how do you feel about the Gretsky statue? Neither of those is particularly deserving above Abdul-Jabbar, but they happened. People got on Kareem's case for the way he whined about not having a statue, but I would be mad too if those guys went up before me.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:38 pm

therealdeal wrote:De La Hoya was more for the city than it was for the Staples Center.

And if you guys didn't like that statue, then how do you feel about the Gretsky statue? Neither of those is particularly deserving above Abdul-Jabbar, but they happened. People got on Kareem's case for the way he whined about not having a statue, but I would be mad too if those guys went up before me.

they should have put Oscar's statue in front of the school or hospital that he built...but i agree it was more for the city...just kinda weird for a guy with a losing record at that venue to have one

as for Gretz, it was for what he did for hockey in general...he was responsible for teams like the Quacks and Sharks being made...coincidentally, 2 teams i cant stand lol
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:59 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:De La Hoya was more for the city than it was for the Staples Center.

they should have put Oscar's statue in front of the school or hospital that he built...but i agree it was more for the city...just kinda weird for a guy with a losing record at that venue to have one

as for Gretz, it was for what he did for hockey in general...he was responsible for teams like the Quacks and Sharks being made...coincidentally, 2 teams i cant stand lol

I don't disagree that those two deserve recognition at some level, but to put a statue out front of a Laker venue when Kareem, one of the greatest Lakers ever, doesn't have one is a mistake. I don't blame Kareem for being miffed.

I agree that De La Hoya's statue could have gone elsewhere, but where ever it went it wouldn't have the same popularity and draw that it would in front of the Staples Center. As for Gretsky, he probably should have had a statue built elsewher too, but same story and same result.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:11 pm

Those are z's.......

*Gretzky
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Not a huge soccer fan so excuse me.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:10 pm

therealdeal wrote:Not a huge soccer fan so excuse me.

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:17 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Not a huge soccer fan so excuse me.

:man9:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:56 pm

if anyone thinks that gretzky doesn't deserve a statue, let me be the first to point out how wrong you are

if it wasn't for wayne gretzky, would there be any interest in hockey in socal? No. not to mention that he led a once sorry franchise in the kings to the stanley cup finals. anyone who knows hockey knows that he single-handedly changed the sport of hockey and brought in a whole new generation of fans. in terms of impact he had on the sport, he is unparalleled. oh and did i mention that he is the greatest player who ever lived? look at his stats and prepare to be mindblown, no one is even close.

as for de la hoya having a statue, it's very uncecessary. yes i understand that he's a local guy and had some success but was he the greatest fighter ever? no. is he even a top 20 fighter ever? no. if they really had to make a statue for him, they should have put it outside city hall or in another location. not in front of an arena in which he has absolutely nothing to do with
432J

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:23 pm

432J wrote:

if anyone thinks that gretzky doesn't deserve a statue, let me be the first to point out how wrong you are

if it wasn't for wayne gretzky, would there be any interest in hockey in socal? No. not to mention that he led a once sorry franchise in the kings to the stanley cup finals. anyone who knows hockey knows that he single-handedly changed the sport of hockey and brought in a whole new generation of fans. in terms of impact he had on the sport, he is unparalleled. oh and did i mention that he is the greatest player who ever lived? look at his stats and prepare to be mindblown, no one is even close.

as for de la hoya having a statue, it's very uncecessary. yes i understand that he's a local guy and had some success but was he the greatest fighter ever? no. is he even a top 20 fighter ever? no. if they really had to make a statue for him, they should have put it outside city hall or in another location. not in front of an arena in which he has absolutely nothing to do with

Um calm down?

Where did I say that Gretzki doesn't deserve a statue? And as far as him being unparalleled as far as impact on his sport, you're simply wrong. There has always been a pioneer in any sport that helps pave the way to stardom. One that comes to mind is Lance Armstrong (all recent issues aside). I'd say he had a very similar impact on the sport of cycling. There are other examples, but I'm tired right now.

I already said they should have had De La Hoya's statue somewhere else and of course he deserves a statue. The Golden Boy carried the sport for a small period of time and he brought the Latino crowd into boxing in a way that truly revolutionized that sport for that ethnicity.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:31 pm

^ I wasn't calling you out specifically, i had just seen posts and heard from others before that gretzky doesn't deserve a statue.

He really is unparalleled as the greatest of all time though if you look at it this way. not only did he bring in a whole new generation of fans but he simply dominated his sport. yeah guys like jordan, ali, ruth, rice, etc. dominated their sports but there have always been other players in those sports that are not too far from being called the GOAT

gretzky on the other hand only had 1 other player who was even close to being as great as he was and that was mario lemieux, who if it wasn't for tragic injuries, would be the greatest player of all time in my opinion. just take one look at gretzky's stats though and you will see just how dominant he really was. 5-6 years into his career and he was already being called the GOAT, that alone just shows how great he really was
432J

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:48 pm

That's fine and all. I'm not a huge hockey guy, so I honestly couldn't tell you much details about Gretzky. I know he was great, I know he was the best, I'm not denying any of that. I'm just saying that Kareem, as far as LOS ANGELES goes, deserved a statue out front of the premier LA basketball court before the other two did.

Anyway, let's get back on topic.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby daco_inc on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:19 pm

Not saying he doesn't deserve it because he certainly does being one of the greatest to ever play the game and the main reason for our success in the 80's, but what I liked about Magic and West getting statues was that they were Lakers for their entire careers, with Kobe being the next to get one.
"The Doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity"-John Adams
"I've examined all the known superstitions of the world and I don't find
in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They're all alike founded on fables and mythology"-Thomas Jefferson
"There's one notable thing about our Christianity: bad, bloody, merciless, money-grabbing, and predatory"-Mark Twain
daco_inc

Postby OX1947 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:35 am

Lakers organization statues too much.
OX1947

Postby The Rock on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:46 am

Im going :jam2:
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/11/13/lakers-to-honor-kareem-abdul-jabbar-with-new-statue-at-staples/

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A statue honoring legendary Los Angeles Laker Kareem Abdul-Jabbar will be unveiled Friday afternoon at STAPLES Center.

The nearly 16’ tall, 1,500-pound bronze statue of the NBA Hall of Famer will be revealed during a 4:30 p.m. ceremony featuring Earvin “Magic” Johnson, Jerry West, James Worthy, Pat Riley, Richard Lapchik, Eddie Doucette and others.

The statue, created by renowned sculptors/artists Julie Rotblatt Amrany and Omri Amrany, will join other iconic sculptures of celebrated Los Angeles sports superstars Wayne Gretzky, Earvin “Magic” Johnson, Jerry West, Chick Hearn and Oscar De La Hoya.

The ceremony will be “highlighted by speeches from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and other individuals who were his teammates, colleagues and friends during his unprecedented career and will conclude with a climactic unveiling of the statue,” officials said in a statement.

It is free and open to the public.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby dj vitus on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:49 am

lakerswiz wrote:I would love for Kobe & Shaq to have a statue with the alley-oop from 2000. First year Staples was open, the start of our dynasty, their first title, the beginning of our modern Lakers team.

That would be wicked awesome. :jam2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Tragic on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:52 am

He deserved it from day one :)
Tragic

Postby ramsay13 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:01 pm

Dodger players belong at Dodgers Stadium.

n Shaq will get a statue.
ramsay13

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:03 pm

Is it going to be televised?
Texas Lakers Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion