Karl Malone is prepared to join the Lakers

Karl Malone is prepared to join the Lakers

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:41 pm

Los Angeles Daily News: Karl Malone is prepared to join the Lakers -- with or without Gary Payton at his side -- and it might be only a matter of days before the 14-time All-Star makes an oral commitment, according to sources close to the situation.

Malone was the first free agent to meet with Lakers officials last week, and it appears he will be the first piece of their rebuilding project to fall into place. He has given Lakers officials every indication he is ready to end his 18-year relationship with the Utah Jazz and accept a major pay cut to play alongside Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal.

Nothing can become official until July 16, the first day of the NBA's signing period, and there's nothing to prevent Malone from changing his mind, if sentiment and emotion intervene.

But Lakers officials are quietly confident Malone has already made his decision to come to L.A. and pursue the championship that has long eluded him. One source went so far as to call it "a done deal."

The Lakers continue to woo Payton as well -- he was expected to meet Monday with general manager Mitch Kupchak -- but his decision will not necessarily affect Malone's, according to sources familiar with the discussions.

Malone offered to play for the $1.5 million exception, thus enabling the Lakers to use their midlevel exception, about $4.7 million, to sign Payton or another impact player.

But the notion that Malone's decision to play here is contingent on Payton's has been "way overplayed" in news reports, said a source close to the situation. If Payton declines the Lakers' offer -- and the Lakers fail to entice another impact player -- Malone will simply ask for the full $4.7 million exception. He also would be willing to split the exception with another free agent. Scottie Pippen or Tyronn Lue are possibilities

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413 ... 08,00.html

Damm!! I still want GP also!!!
zetaw00d

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:44 pm

LakersGyrl2003

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:08 pm

Sorry again!! I dont read the other forums!!!!!! Im lookin to read rumors, not smack!!!! That post should have been posted in the rumors not the smack!!! :freak2:

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:09 pm

last post was mine!!
zetaw00d

Karl Malone haters--- check it out

Postby FanSince'62 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:44 pm

I posted this elsewhere, but Laker fans in the '70s hated Kareem when he was with the Bucks, until he came to us and became our Cap. It will work fine.

The Mail is coming and so are some more banners for Staples.
FanSince'62

Postby MIKEDOG on Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:19 am

I hate Malone of the Jazz but I gotta love Malone the Laker. He is a BIG body that will help Shaq on D in the paint. Plus he is a huge threat on the othe end of the court that teams will no longer be able to double and triple Shaq!! This will get Shaq better looks and higher scoring %. This is all a dream that I never thought would happen!!! GO LAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jam2:
MIKEDOG

Breaking News

Postby Shaq Fan on Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:27 pm

Hello, I have breaking news out of ESPN, on the bottom of the screen it said that Karl Malone has made a verbal aggrement to the Lakers.

Just thought I would tell everyone. :bow: :man1:
Shaq Fan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:38 pm

It was announced last night!! :man1:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Shaq Fan on Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:47 pm

No Payton was announced not Malone

What numbers u think they will wear?

I think:

Payton 20 & Malone will wear 31 or 5
Shaq Fan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:50 pm

Yea...Malone was announced last night... It was all over the local news.

http://www.clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1193
LakersGyrl2003

really

Postby Shaq Fan on Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:15 pm

So u r telling me the truth, sorry but I live in the East so didn't see that :man4:
Shaq Fan

Postby BDG on Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:18 pm

yeah, they said it on the last news broadcasts of the day on CBS (Channel 2 on the West Coast) and NBC (Channel 4 on the West Coast).
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Shaq Fan on Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:20 pm

THANKS
Shaq Fan

Postby zetaw00d on Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:58 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/howard-c ... 78615.html

This is the closest thing i found to that report. Ill keep looking!
zetaw00d

Postby Shaq Fan on Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:19 pm

So what #'s u think they will have
Shaq Fan

Malone

Postby LakersFan2003 on Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:25 pm

Malone has not agreed yet. He only said previously that he would love to play for $1.5 if Payton agrees. But Malone hasn't officially called the Lakers management and given them a verbal offer.

He will do that today or tomorrow. Keep your eyes out for announcements.
LakersFan2003

Postby la21834 on Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:39 pm

malone has not agreed to anything yet.he is expected to anounce it later today or thurs.
la21834

Malone?

Postby kissjrj on Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:09 pm

Supposedly Malone and Payton talked Sunday. Payton's camp is convinced Malone is coming to LA. Malone has known this scenario for over a week...so why not announce on Wednesday? What's he waiting for?

kissjrj
kissjrj

Postby la21834 on Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:10 pm

We will know thursday
la21834

Postby SWOL on Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:23 pm

giant that lakers reloaded pic is tight where did you find it ????
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby BDG on Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:31 pm

Actually, as you can read on the other thread in the Smack section (the one I mistakenly reported that CL.com sets another New Record). It's now a junk thread.

Anyway, I made it myself on PhotoShop. I'll be uploading it soon so y'all can put it as your desktop wallpaper if you want.

I think Malone will officially announce it on Wednesday.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Worthy of Lakers on Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:36 am

Sup Everyone? Well, you don't need to hear it from the news about Malone joining the Lakers. What I tell you is confidential. This is not a rumor, it's the truth. My good friend from college is working for Malone's agent. Just ran into him yesterday. I asked him the question we've all been speculating upon. His answer, "Malone is coming to LA tomorrow (Thursday) to talk to the Lakers and his agent again. My boss says he's coming to LA, PERIOD!!!" Now, you guys don't need to believe me. But, he's the most reliable source I have on the inside. Especially, considering he works for Malone's agent. Malone's agent also represents (I think...but can't quite remember which ex-Goldenstate Warrior) Donyell Marshall. You guys can check on that to see if I'm correct. Anyways, I hope that'll clear things up. However, I know you guys are dedicated on hearing it from a more reliable source. As far as I'm concerned, I'm excited because my boy says Malone is coming. That's all I need. This is will definitely give the rest of the league the heartattack we've been dying to give them for a long time.
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
Worthy of Lakers

Postby Laker brain on Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:38 am

Good... I knew it all along.
Todays minimum is yesterdays maximum!
Laker brain

Congrats to Lakers

Postby Retards on Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:00 pm

Now the real dynasty begain !!!!!!!! (This is just for the face of Gary and Karl ) Hope they can stay in Lakers for awhile . No matter what we get , they will always get warm welcome from the true Lakers fans .
There has been so many doubts about Gary and Karl fitting in Lakers land , I am sure they will work it out and Phil will have a busy season !!!!
I didnt think Phil expect that many talents brought by Mitch , maybe he is going to complain too much talents later huh ? ;) :scream:

Anyway , talk is cheap , lets get the show rolling !!!!! :wave:
Retards

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:18 pm

The thing that makes Phil Jackson great in his coaching history is the way he can handle multiple superstars. He finds ways to place each star in position to be great and Phil will do the same with Kobe, Shaq, Payton, and Malone.

Phil loves handling veterans than rookies. It has happened before in Chicago, and will happen again in LA.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Return to Lakers Discussion