Kendall Marshall Thread: The Marshall is Out! (waived)

Re: Lakers Sign Kendall Marshall

Postby cthroatgtr on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:14 pm

They needed someone, anyone. Glad they grabbed someone. Let's be real here...this year is about grabbing a bunch of guys and seeing if a few stick...IMHO some already have. Wes, Nick & X are all keepers.
cthroatgtr

Postby karacha on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:19 pm

Yes, as I mentioned above, we have a lot of young first round picks right now, they seem to be very positive and their game is developing nicely. This is a young, super-cheap pass first guard with excellent court vision who played in PHX and is familiar with the offense MDA likes to run. Other than trading Pau, Mitch could not have done better then this. Interestingly enough, Marshall automatically becomes the best passing point on the team (yes, including those points that are injured right now :man12: ).

But he needs a decent nickname. We'll do it after, or during his first game. X plays the PG tomorrow and Marshall could try on Saturday after one practice. Or wait for the debut against his old team on Monday.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:25 pm

Is this the guy a lot of you were saying to P/U when Farmar went down? It was someone recently let go and back into the D league, who was a fairly high draft pick recently. If so, telling you….. CL has a lot of "juice" in high places.

:man1:
LTLakerFan

Postby lotus on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:31 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
lotus wrote:A broke man's jeremy lin. Wonderful. Meanwhile, teams are trying to trade for Rajon Rondo.

The "Season On The Cheap" continues...

LOL... So you are upset that the Lakers have put together a hungry group of guys in an attempt to not overspend and blow our future?

Upset? Nah. I've just used up my supply of hope filled enthusiasm (like that on display in your avatar) on the other "hungry group" and have nothing left for any other lame signing. If you are excited about Kendall Marshall then more power to you. But, I have nothing left to get excited about this season.

It would be nice to think that this franchise doesn't have to go on what is the equivalent of an absolute detox cleanse in order to retool. The Spurs are proving that it's not necessary. They better hope the big gamble to have plenty of cap space pays off in the free agent market. Their other big gamble, D12, was a bust and they got NOTHING in return.

All said and done, I'm still not confident about the captain leading this ship.
lotus

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:39 pm

I like the signing a lot. Much better than that Darius guy and the fact that Marshall is a pass first guard is even better because he can help get others in rhythm faster.

For the tough news today regarding Kobe, this guy should be fun to watch at least.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Don't know much about the guy...we're in dire straights, though, so I can't complain. I'm glad they finally addressed the need for PG. We'll see how this works out...
lukewaltonsdad

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Once again Mitch waves the magic wand! Trust me, you will looove Kendall Marshall! Great passer. :bow:
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:42 pm

Seems to me we just made up this season for a lot of no 1st round pick years. Up to Mitch to keep the best of them here.
LTLakerFan

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Will be interesting to see if D'antoni can make this guy look like a stud like he does every other PG except Darius Morris.
LakersN4

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:50 pm

solid signing. we needed a PG and i think he'll be okay considering our options.

we'll have a team full of a bunch of first round picks who have something to prove. Hopefully he'll fit right in and play his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] off. MDA system, with all its faults, seems to really get the best out of average players and let them really shine.
Ariza3

Postby raviator on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:01 pm

If this kid can give us about 5-8 assists with minimal turnovers, I'll be happy. Hell I'm just happy we have a damn point guard again.
raviator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:16 pm

I don't know why anyone would feel negative here lotus.

Help is help. I'm not sure anyone could EVER expect to get a Rajon Rondo at ANY point. There's only so many great players in this league, the Lakers can't have all of them. How spoiled are we?

And who's to say Mitch ISN'T trying to get guys like that. All the evidence points to the opposite actually. But right now we're trying to make the team operational. There's no reason to not b e optimistic at least about this signing... Seems like he has the potential to be one of the nice group of young talent we're collecting right now. Young, Wes, and Henry were all similar picks in similar positions. There's plenty to like about this signing without being upset we're NOT getting Rajon Rondo of all people.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:17 pm

Can't say I've heard of him, but then I can't say I'd really heard of Zahveeyay Henry before we signed him either and that turned out pretty good so far. We've got zero to lose this season, by taking a chance on any players with a non guaranteed contract, or even one for the rest of the season, so yeah, give him a shot, why not.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby sister golden hair on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Very interesting pick-up. I wondered what had happened t this guy. A few years ago, he led UNC to a number one ranking right before the NCAA tournament. But then he broke a wrist, either in the last game of the year or in the first round of the tournament and the Tarheels flamed out in his absence a few games later. he was considered the best PG in the country and I think still holds the assists record in the ACC -- over 10 a game, I think.

An odd player in some ways. He plays an "old man's" game at PG. He's neither a high-flyer nor a speed-demon. But he has uncanny instincts and feel for the game. Someone compared him to Steve Blake with slightly better passing ability? No way. This guy can make passes Steve Blake wouldn't even attempt. Steve is an okay passer, bu this guy has much better court vision, IMO. Blake also is an average ballhandler. This guy is much better, IMO. He does take more risks with the ball, so he needs to keep that under control because the last thing this team needs is more TOs. I think he's more like Ricky Rubio in terms of court vision, and passing ability.

He didn't really shoot very much at UNC so it was hard to get a good read on his long ball. He seems to have improved a lot since then, judging by his D-league stats. He will get a lot of open looks until he proves to teams that he can shoot the jumper consistently, so hopefully he keeps trending upward. He does have good enough size to look over the top of most PGs. His handles are excellent with either hand (and is especially good passing with either hand off the dribble). He's one of those guys that look kind of slow and herky-jerky and then he flips his wrist and the ball suddenly materializes in a teammate's hands under the basket for an assist. He relies on his size, craftiness and change of speed and direction rather than blow-by burst to get separation. He's rangier than he looks because his build is more along the lines of a Marc Jackson (now a coach of GS) and Andre Miller. But he's a better pure distributor than either ever were. He just doesn't look like a prototypical, lanky baller. His game is ground-based, pretty fundamental, and he uses the entire court well. Very good anticipation.

His biggest problem will be in defense. He lacks the lateral quicks to stay in front of the speed demons in the West. Maybe he's worked on that. His size helps a little because he's long enough to recover, but he'll need some solid tutoring to learn better angles to play against the smaller guys. These days, few guards can cover the truly athletic PGs, so maybe the differential between him and any other non-super-athlete at PG isn't that great.

IMO, in order for him to stick he needs to become deadly from long-range. That will open up his dribble drive attack, and create better passing angles when the defense collapses. He'll find you if he's open.

It's on defense that he's going to sink or swim if given the minutes. But just remember that Steve Nash carved a great career despite being a huge liability on defense. A coaching staff can scheme around his issues to a certain extent, but only so much. Nash made his living by simply being able to be the pilot for an offensive barrage. Yeah, he was at his best when he led an attack that simply outscored tyhe opponent.

This guy deserves a chance. I don't know what happened to him in Phoenix. But some guys simply need more time to develop. he came out of UNC after his sophomore year. He was the leader of tat club and they seemed poise to win another 'ship at UNC. I like the signing and hope MDA gives him minutes.

This guy might surprise.
sister golden hair

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:00 pm

raviator wrote:If this kid can give us about 5-8 assists with minimal turnovers, I'll be happy. Hell I'm just happy we have a damn point guard again.

^^ This. Having a point guard, any point guard is a good thing at this point. Last I checked we didn't have one. And who knows, this guy could turn out to be good. That would be an even more pleasant surprise.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:24 pm

Thanks for the vids Karacha. This kid loves throwing the back door bounce pass. Looks pretty. Don't know how this dude is in the d-league, that video mix made him look NBA starter status.

Guess a question mark is his jumper but nice add. Must mean Nash is on his way out, I see Marshall as the 3rd stringer behind Blake/Farmar. He's insurance for Blake too.
Chillbongo

Postby 432J on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:30 am

what happened to goudelock?

i don't understand why they never signed that guy for good, the dude can straight up ball
432J

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:47 am

kendall marshall = Image
Last edited by hollywood swinger on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby revgen on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:48 am

432J wrote:what happened to goudelock?

i don't understand why they never signed that guy for good, the dude can straight up ball

Defense and matchups.

He's a SG in a PG body. He can't defend other SG's and his PG defense is so-so. The PG defense wouldn't have been such a big issue if he could run a team like Blake or Farmar can, but he couldn't do it very well.

I personally think he could fit in on an NBA team if a team was willing to use him strictly as a backup scorer. JW compared him to Vinnie Johnson, the backup scoring guard for the Bad Boy Pistons teams. D'Antoni wants a PG running the starting units and backup units. Mike Brown wanted defense. He just didn't fit in with either coach.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:14 am

432J wrote:what happened to goudelock?

Showing his mini mamba skills to Russian hotties.
wcsoldier81

Postby noobiew on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:17 am

Probably should have been done and signed him a couple weeks ago when Farmar went down and before the Kobe reinjured himself because of playing heavy minutes and taking all of the burden of the PG duties on his shoulder since all our 3 PG are out ... but okay
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby noobiew on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:25 am

Kendall Marshall NBA career highlight mix :-

Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby nduri on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:27 am

lotus wrote:A broke man's jeremy lin. Wonderful. Meanwhile, teams are trying to trade for Rajon Rondo.

The "Season On The Cheap" continues...

Just remember Jeremy Lin was a broke man's jeremy lin until D'antonio got to him.
Back at'cha 24-7
nduri

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:45 am

After reading his scouting report, I'm skeptical. This must be insurance.

The video shows some nice glimpses but his report says his athleticism is non-existent and he's not much of a scorer. Also said his ceiling wasn't much higher. He might be able to create a few nice possessions, but nothing worthy of major minutes.

Then again D'Antoni's system might be just right for the kid. Then we'll all be saying he's a steal.
Chillbongo

Postby revgen on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:51 am

Keep in mind that Kendall Marshall has already played in D'Antoni's system while he was in Phoenix. They still run it even though D'Antoni isn't there anymore. Lin is still playing ball and being productive despite not playing for D'Antoni anymore. Marshall was traded and sent to the D-league.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion