Kendall Marshall Thread: The Marshall is Out! (waived)

Re: Lakers Sign Kendall Marshall

Postby Alleyhoops on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:06 am

Nice 1940s set shot from this guy. Seriously? Wasn't DJ Augustine cut last Monday, then picked up by the Bulls? Did we even bother to inquire about him?
Alleyhoops

Postby purp n gold on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:46 am

I really like this signing. Run n gun baby!!!
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:46 am

Alleyhoops wrote:Nice 1940s set shot from this guy. Seriously? Wasn't DJ Augustine cut last Monday, then picked up by the Bulls? Did we even bother to inquire about him?

no signing a slow, out of shape, non shooting D league pg helps us with getting into the lottery.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby abeer3 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:23 am

I don't think augistin helps the lakers win any more than marshall. neither do. but one still has room to grow, imo. the other is who he is (and isn't good).
abeer3

Postby trodgers on Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:13 am

sister golden hair wrote:An odd player in some ways. He plays an "old man's" game at PG. He's neither a high-flyer nor a speed-demon. But he has uncanny instincts and feel for the game. Someone compared him to Steve Blake with slightly better passing ability? No way. This guy can make passes Steve Blake wouldn't even attempt. Steve is an okay passer, bu this guy has much better court vision, IMO. Blake also is an average ballhandler. This guy is much better, IMO. He does take more risks with the ball, so he needs to keep that under control because the last thing this team needs is more TOs. I think he's more like Ricky Rubio in terms of court vision, and passing ability.

I'll be up front: I haven't seen him play other than against us and in some online videos. You might have some intimate knowledge of his game, but I'm basing my take on what I saw and read. The Steve Blake comparison seems apt for a few reasons.
1. He looks tentative with the ball. He doesn't drive often. When he does, he doesn't look to score; he looks to dish. That's classic Blake - drive, go right under the basket, dribble out or make a pass.
-Blake has taken 1 FT per 30.8 minutes played in his career and 1 FT per 7.6 FGA.
-Marshall took 1 FT per 50 minutes and 1 per 10.8 FGA.

2. He doesn't have great handles. In the clips online where he was able to make cool plays, he still struggled when he dribbled into traffic. He doesn't have the great athleticism and body control, so he has to rely on his size to shield the ball from the defender.
-Marshall's 702 minutes: he had 44 bad pass TOs, 8 lost ball TOs.
-Blake's 1175 minutes last year: he had 43 bad pass TOs, 17 lost ball TOs.

3. He doesn't have great athleticism. Steve Blake is a tough guy and a competitor, but he's not a great athlete. I don't think Rubio's any sort of elite athlete either, btw.

I think that if you couple the lack of athleticism, the non-elite handles (Rubio has elite handles), and the passive offense, you get something closer to Blake than Rubio. Incidentally, if KM develops a shot, he'd be a very competent PG. If he can become an adequate defender too he'd be great. So I'm hoping.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:11 am

Chillbongo wrote:After reading his scouting report, I'm skeptical. This must be insurance.

The video shows some nice glimpses but his report says his athleticism is non-existent and he's not much of a scorer. Also said his ceiling wasn't much higher. He might be able to create a few nice possessions, but nothing worthy of major minutes.

Then again D'Antoni's system might be just right for the kid. Then we'll all be saying he's a steal.

I mean it's obviously insurance, Chill. :man10:

We have absolutely no point guard anymore. We have nothing. We don't even have Kobe who can approximate a PG. This is obviously a cheap fill in PG that can play a few minutes a game and hopefully spark some nice play from our other assets.

That's why I can't figure why anyone is negative about this. We needed a f***ing body and we got one. :man10: One with some upside, much like all the young guys on our team right now. Everyone needs to seriously relax about this. Sorry it's not a superstar stud, guys. You don't really find those for non-guaranteed contracts in December worth less than a million dollars playing in the D-League.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:45 am

so this is the new PG that will be joining our injured reserves
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby trodgers on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:16 pm

This is the guy you sign when your first FOUR choices for PG duties are out for an extended period of time. It would be like if Pau, Hill, Kaman, and Sacre all went out and we signed a dude from the D-Fenders. Great player? No. A guy who can step on the court? Better than if I did it.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:02 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:After reading his scouting report, I'm skeptical. This must be insurance.

The video shows some nice glimpses but his report says his athleticism is non-existent and he's not much of a scorer. Also said his ceiling wasn't much higher. He might be able to create a few nice possessions, but nothing worthy of major minutes.

Then again D'Antoni's system might be just right for the kid. Then we'll all be saying he's a steal.

I mean it's obviously insurance, Chill. :man10:

We have absolutely no point guard anymore. We have nothing. We don't even have Kobe who can approximate a PG. This is obviously a cheap fill in PG that can play a few minutes a game and hopefully spark some nice play from our other assets.

That's why I can't figure why anyone is negative about this. We needed a f***ing body and we got one. :man10: One with some upside, much like all the young guys on our team right now. Everyone needs to seriously relax about this. Sorry it's not a superstar stud, guys. You don't really find those for non-guaranteed contracts in December worth less than a million dollars playing in the D-League.

Yep. Just emphasizing that he is insurance and not a "prospect" that we plan on developing or holding onto long term. Despite the fact that he's a nice passer, is young, and has good length for a pg.

Also in the sense that I think Nash is done and Blake must be a way's away.
Chillbongo

Postby trodgers on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:13 pm

I don't see why he ISN'T that either.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:35 pm

I hope he breaks out now and starts ballin'.....

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus 32m
The Lakers can't sign Marshall for more than 2 years as a min contract - so it's a 2-year contract - non-guaranteed is what I'm hearing
Expand Reply Retweet Favori
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:36 pm

I actually believe he is a prospect in this system. This is his chance; the kid is going to work his a-- off, and he's only 22.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kit on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:37 pm

Only 22... Interesting.
Kit

Postby The Rock on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Going to the game tonight, is he playing?

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby trodgers on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:48 pm

The Rock wrote:Going to the game tonight, is he playing?

Rotoworld reporting that he'll be suited up - unsure whether he'll play.

You don't offer a 22 y/o a 2-year contract if you don't view him as a prospect. Right?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Helljumper on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:52 pm

The Rock wrote:Going to the game tonight, is he playing?

http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/2013/12/20/131220Marshallmov-3083916

He practiced earlier today and sounds excited/ready to play ASAP. But he said he hasn't even spoke to D'antoni about playing yet and hasn't received a playbook yet. So far he's just come in, met the team, participated in shoot around, and learned some of the offensive terminology.

If I had to guess, I'd say he'll only play today if Xavier/Meeks are absolute disasters at PG.
Helljumper

Postby karacha on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:18 pm

I think X will play the 1 today, and Marshall on Saturday. Or perhaps MDA will decide to let them have some fun and throw Marshall to the lions today. :man10:

But I think that's unlikely.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:52 pm

karacha wrote:This dude has improved his shot significantly IMO. He'll do well in MDA's system. Nice length, combo guard - but more of a passing point - handles the ball extremely well... he is X Henry's age. He's played with Wes BTW, they have some nice chemistry already.
Someone we can develop if he shows some promise. And for some crazy reason, I think this might be another one of Mitch's "gems", so to speak. He was the 13th pick. Very fun player to watch.

So far we have found

X: 12th,
Young: 16th,
Wes: 4th,
Hill: 8th,
KendallL 13th.

Maybe we've lost most of our future picks, but we got all the recent promising first rounders, which is awesome.

Kendall's rookie video:

He's way too good for the D-League. He's a legit young NBA player.

I so much agree with your observation above. Seriously these guys are all relatively high first round picks that we have not had for years. On the cheap!!!! We've caught up. Watch them, seriously grade them for future potential and keep the ones that have panned out. Jettison the others. No guarantees in normal years at these numerical positions, possibly excluding this year with it being such a deep draft supposedly, that the guys you draft in those positions are going to work out or blow up on your team. So here all these guys are ON OUR TEAM auditioning their a$$es off for you us in real time NBA game play. Not wishin' and hopin' collage skills and maturity carry over.

Only down side is no potentially good BIGS in this great little group that Mitch has put together. Except Hill and he's pretty damn productive, and now Sacre as well signed through next year. Well done MITCH. This year's LOTTO pick coming up. Room for one high end free agent. Maybe is max FA, maybe is some other smart plan from Mitch. Hopefully it's Mitch making the calls. :jam2: :jam2:
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:24 pm

hollywood swinger wrote:kendall marshall = Image

BLEEP!! I'm sorry but I hate this kind of post. WTF are you?? Just like the infamous "Bynum Will Never Be Special" thread, a cap is put on a young 20's player career who many other people have already seen flashes of NBA quality to his game. No room for heart or work ethic. Just good ole armchair GM ship. Why is it you that so frequently comes up with these? Mitch picked him in our emergency out of everyone else on the planet we could afford. But not good enough for you to reserve judgement at least?
LTLakerFan

Postby dj vitus on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:41 pm

Yeah give him 10-15 games before we can throw him in the garbage disposal if necessary.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:48 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
hollywood swinger wrote:kendall marshall = Image

BLEEP!! I'm sorry but I hate this kind of post. WTF are you?? Just like the infamous "Bynum Will Never Be Special" thread, a cap is put on a young 20's player career who many other people have already seen flashes of NBA quality to his game. No room for heart or work ethic. Just good ole armchair GM ship. Why is it you that so frequently comes up with these? Mitch picked him in our emergency out of everyone else on the planet we could afford. But not good enough for you to reserve judgement at least?

i'm entitled to say a lottery pick now a D league player is trash. if he is worth anything he will prove me wrong and i hope he does but as of now he is GARBAGE. :man10:
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:54 pm

Oh wait….. you didn't clarify you were rooting for him. So this is the reverse jinx, "good" GARBAGE tag put on a player. :man1: Yeah hopefully one of his homeboys reads CL and relays it and he has the right kind of makeup like Bynum to show that kind of dismissal wrong. :beer:

But didn't Phoenix just throw him in a trade they wanted because they knew they already had Dragic with Bledsoe coming in? And the receiving team was likely already set with a backup point? That could explain why the D league so soon. I don't know, just supposing it might have occurred that way. Like X had a future until injuries dropped him on depth chart and then trades happened.
LTLakerFan

Postby Kit on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:06 pm

I thought he was almost 30 years old by the way he looks and moves lol.
Kit

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:09 pm

When a Kendall Marshall thread tacks on 3 pages within a day and is hovering at the top of the front page at CL.

#UKnowThingsRBad
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:26 pm

Just remember...where you were drafted doesn't really tell much about how you'll do in the NBA.

I mean, Kwame was a #1 overall pick, right?
kray28

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion