Kendall Marshall Thread: The Marshall is Out! (waived)

Re: Kendall Marshall Discussion: There's a new Marshall in town!

Postby 432J on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:15 am

marshall is solid

hope to see he and farmar running the point next season
432J

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:26 am

I think he's the PG for our future, possibly with the potential to make an All-Star game or two. The guy just gets it. He's got game. Every time I watch him, i'm impressed. He reminds me a lot of a poor man's version of Nash. He's always setting up guys with good looks.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby last stand on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:42 am

He will be our starting PG the next time we contend. He makes things easier, things just flow better with him out there. The ball moves, he can pick and roll better than anyone his age, and he can nail 3s easily

He's not ball dominant at all

I'm loving the idea of

Center
Love
Wiggins or Parker
Kobe
Marshall
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby charvin on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:51 pm

therealdeal wrote:Give him Kobe and give him a post presence inside and I think Marshall makes a great PG for this team for at least next season. Eventually we would probably opt for a better defender, but with Kobe coming off of two major surgeries and no other legitimate scoring threat on this team (maybe Nick if he stays), it's great to have a PG that is so adept at finding others in the right spot.

I would love for him to develop and/or improve his 3-point shooting then. It would be a huge help for when players get doubled and then he becomes a double threat - make the right pass or shoot it (pseudo-Nash).
charvin

Postby karacha on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:30 pm

He needs to develop a floater, or shoot better off the screen.

There's no need to "improve" the 3-point shot. He's already hitting almost 47% of those. Which is pretty amazing actually.

Mid range shots, FTs, those can be improved.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:33 pm

charvin wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Give him Kobe and give him a post presence inside and I think Marshall makes a great PG for this team for at least next season. Eventually we would probably opt for a better defender, but with Kobe coming off of two major surgeries and no other legitimate scoring threat on this team (maybe Nick if he stays), it's great to have a PG that is so adept at finding others in the right spot.

I would love for him to develop and/or improve his 3-point shooting then. It would be a huge help for when players get doubled and then he becomes a double threat - make the right pass or shoot it (pseudo-Nash).

He's shooting over 46% from deep. He's one of the best shooters in the NBA this season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:57 pm

Isn't Marshall leading the entire league in 3pt pct?
Lets Go Lakers

Postby raining3s on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:59 pm

Dont like Marshall, sorry.

Unathletic

Slow

Horrible defender

He's hitting his outside shot now, but it can not be sustained.

the only thing he does well is pass, which is impressive but that is just not enough to nab a starting role on a good team.

If Marshall has a big role on the team next year, expect another losing season like this year.

Sorry.
raining3s

Postby raining3s on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:02 pm

therealdeal wrote:
charvin wrote:

He's shooting over 46% from deep. He's one of the best shooters in the NBA this season.

He's also just played a few games. It doesnt take many shots to qualify for the leaderboard. His shot is ugly, can only be taken in a spot up situation and his success will not be sustained.
raining3s

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:10 pm

raining3s wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
charvin wrote:

He's also just played a few games. It doesnt take many shots to qualify for the leaderboard. His shot is ugly, can only be taken in a spot up situation and his success will not be sustained.

Are you some sort of soothsayer? :man10:

He's taken 99 three pointers and made 46 of them. That's not a small sample size. Just because his shot is unconventional doesn't mean it can't be effective.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:17 pm

raining3s wrote:Dont like Marshall, sorry.
Unathletic
Slow
Horrible defender
the only thing he does well is pass, which is impressive but that is just not enough to nab a starting role on a good team.

If Marshall has a big role on the team next year, expect another losing season like this year.
Sorry.

Welcome to CL.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby karacha on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:22 pm

raining3s wrote:He's also just played a few games. It doesnt take many shots...

He took around 100 in-game shots behind the 3-point line. That's not enough for you?

Now, spot up threes?

Well, what should he be doing? Shooting threes from 30 ft while running behind screens? :man3:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:40 pm

karacha wrote:He needs to develop a floater, or shoot better off the screen.

There's no need to "improve" the 3-point shot. He's already hitting almost 47% of those. Which is pretty amazing actually.

Mid range shots, FTs, those can be improved.
therealdeal wrote:
charvin wrote:

My apologies. With the way the Lakers have been playing, TV games have been far and few in-between and I neglected to look at the sample size and the percentage of his 3PM.
charvin

Postby Barnstable on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:28 pm

People are mistaking an ugly looking shot for a bad one. His release point is so low it is very blockable by conventional standards... that's why he often shoots like 2-3 feet behind the 3pt line at the top, and he still often makes those shots. If players can't sag off of him once he crosses half court because he can hoist up a three from so far away, that's a good thing IMO. I wouldn't have him change his shot mechanics at this point in his career. He shoots at a high percentage.... that's good enough for now.

Eventually opposing players will start playing him for the long three, that's why he needs a midrange tear drop to keep players honest on defense. Defenders will adjust, and he will adjust to the new pressure players are putting on his 3, but that's basketball, and I hate to keep saying it, but it's true, being only 22, and 2nd year in the league, he has plenty of time to develop a counter, and a bigger range of shots.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:50 pm

Unathletic

Slow

Horrible defender

Sorry.

He's unathletic and slow yet is still able to get by his man consistently. That tells me guy has game. He has to rely on his skills to lose his man. And his ability to pass is obviously bordering on special (from what we've seen so far). The guy simply has a natural feel for the game. Not everyone has that. But it's also true that there have been plenty of pgs who made a big splash in their first year and didn't do much afterwards once the league adjusted to their game but Marshall, at least imo, has too much game in his dna to ever be that bad. I think at worst, he's a career back up. At best, he makes some All-Star games. Never underestimate the player who basis his game on skills and a natural feel for the game.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Three of the best ever to lace them up in Magic, Bird and Nash were slow and unathletic. But all of them dominated cause they had an amazing feel for the game. They could see the entire floor at all times and exploit weaknesses in the d. They were always thinking and surveying the situation. And Marshall has some of that natural feel for the game that you just can't teach. Would i be shocked if he regresses a lot next year after the league adjusts to his game? Of course not. I have to be objective and realize the small sample size. But i like what i'm seeing and think he's got a decent shot at being a darn good pg in this league.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:05 pm

Barnstable wrote:People are mistaking an ugly looking shot for a bad one. His release point is so low it is very blockable by conventional standards... that's why he often shoots like 2-3 feet behind the 3pt line at the top, and he still often makes those shots. If players can't sag off of him once he crosses half court because he can hoist up a three from so far away, that's a good thing IMO. I wouldn't have him change his shot mechanics at this point in his career. He shoots at a high percentage.... that's good enough for now.

Eventually opposing players will start playing him for the long three, that's why he needs a midrange tear drop to keep players honest on defense. Defenders will adjust, and he will adjust to the new pressure players are putting on his 3, but that's basketball, and I hate to keep saying it, but it's true, being only 22, and 2nd year in the league, he has plenty of time to develop a counter, and a bigger range of shots.

Agreed completely.

I think the only thing I'd add is that Marshall shouldn't change his mechanics, but he should learn to pull the trigger a little quicker and more confidently.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:49 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:Isn't Marshall leading the entire league in 3pt pct?

Yes. But that doesn't seem to stop people here from saying he needs to improve his 3 point shot. Some do say specifically other shots. Floater, off screens, etc. But these others that keep saying that......

:man10: :bang:
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:54 pm

Unathletic

Slow

Horrible defender

Sorry.

I take it from your member name you could smoke him in a 3 point contest, as you can sustain your shooting. Right? What the hell. He needs more space than most but he keeps hitting them ever since he's been with the Lakers.
LTLakerFan

Postby davriver290 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:23 pm

I don't understand this notion that Marshall's stats are inflated because of Mike D's system.... He is playing with a bunch of scrubs and putting up some great numbers with some great efficiency. Even against elite teams like the Heat, OKC, Pacers, etc... he's putting up a double double.

Complain about his defense? Please, CP3, Westbrook, Tony Parker do not play any better individual defense than Marshall does. They just have a better overall scheme of defense as a team. So actually, their defensive stats are "inflated" because of their insanely well coached defense.

He has an amazing feel for the game, he keeps the game entertaining, competitive, and the team offense flowing. If we didn't have him, we would be losing by 30 every damn game, and you can bank that.

If his stats are inflated because of the System, than we can say that Magic's stats were "inflated" because of the greats that he played with. (I only bring him up cause Marshall is averaging magic like numbers.)

I'm just defending Marshall, because he is a D-Leaguer, who came in and proved that he can hang with the big boys. Put Him as our starting PG when we were healthy and actually doing decent, I gurantee we have a better record. I really want him back, and Jordy backing him, that is a very solid PG rotation. I just don't understand all the doubting of his ability when he has clearly shown he possess the skill, smarts and feel to be a very solid PG.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby revgen on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:08 pm

^I can understand somebody saying CP3 and Parker don't play great D. But Westbrook is not in that department. Westbrook's athleticism, footspeed, and length give him a significant advantage over Marshall. I do agree that Marshall's defense isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be, but using Westbrook as an example is not the way to go.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:21 pm

So who do the mock drafts have at 13?
#Vladux
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby davriver290 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:58 pm

revgen wrote:^I can understand somebody saying CP3 and Parker don't play great D. But Westbrook is not in that department. Westbrook's athleticism, footspeed, and length give him a significant advantage over Marshall. I do agree that Marshall's defense isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be, but using Westbrook as an example is not the way to go.

Okay maybe westbrook isn't the best example to use, but you got my main point and that's what counts.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Barnstable on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:57 am

Ya know, I was thinking about it, and I know we have Marshall signed for next year, but I really think the FO should try to lock him down for pennies on the dollar now rather than after next year if he's been averaging a double double in points and assists over a full season. Financially it just makes more sense and we could probably have him cheaper than any other PG of his caliber we could sign after we get a Max star like Love.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:43 am

If he performs for a whole season at this level next year he's going to command a ton of money. I'd rather give him a 4 year 15 million dollar type deal now then what might be coming in a year

It's a gamble but I like what I've seen
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde