Kendall Marshall Thread: The Marshall is Out! (waived)

Re: Kendall Marshall Discussion: There's a new Marshall in town!

Postby M2K on Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:15 am

Kendall Marshall will be the Lakers starting PG for the next decade unless the FO blows it by trading for another PG or drafting another PG.

Kendall Marshall is the real deal and his stats back it up while playing on a team of scrubs.
M2K

Postby karacha on Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:25 am

Barnstable wrote:Ya know, I was thinking about it, and I know we have Marshall signed for next year, but I really think the FO should try to lock him down for pennies on the dollar now rather than after next year...

I strongly agree with this.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:45 am

Honestly I fear the FO WILL do something stupid here. The differences in rhetoric between how they speak of Blake and Marshall downright frightens me.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Barnstable on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:18 am

trodgers wrote:Honestly I fear the FO WILL do something stupid here. The differences in rhetoric between how they speak of Blake and Marshall downright frightens me.

I agree.

I could see them letting Marshall walk. I have no idea what they are thinking with the comments they've made.

My only hope is that they want to keep his contract as low as possible by pretending they aren't impressed by him, though I do not think that's the reality of the situation.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:20 am

Barnstable wrote:Ya know, I was thinking about it, and I know we have Marshall signed for next year, but I really think the FO should try to lock him down for pennies on the dollar now rather than after next year if he's been averaging a double double in points and assists over a full season. Financially it just makes more sense and we could probably have him cheaper than any other PG of his caliber we could sign after we get a Max star like Love.

Instead of "nuke" him...... "Luke" him at 1/2 or 2/3 and for just 4 years :man1:
LTLakerFan

Postby karacha on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:31 am

If he continues playing like this next year - and he probably will - he will suddenly become expensive. If we could sign him now for 3 years, cheap, that would be great. And I'd sign Farmar as well. The difference is: a player like Marshall can usually handle big minutes/many games without too much trouble, except in the case of a freak accident (which happens to everyone). Farmar can't do this, and he is served best off the bench, with someone like Young and Henry. Those guys are explosive and can match any bench in the league easily.

Marshall, on the other hand, is a controlled "system" player who is served best dishing the ball to quality players and stars, while staying out of the way. He won't dominate the ball, he won't chuck shots except shoot a 3 here and there. He's more then willing to put people in the best position to score, so pairing him with a high draft pick (a big or a wing player), Kobe, and (eventually) Love is the way to go. He'll give you at least 10/10 on a pretty consistent basis.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:35 am

I just think the FO is aware that Exum is one of their targets and between Farmar and Marshall, Farmar loves to be here. I think they'd want to "reward" that so to speak.

If they end up higher in the draft and get Wiggins, Parker, or Embiid then Marshall staying makes way more sense. If they end up 4-6 and get Exum, then Marshall is expendable.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:39 am

I agree real, but I think our biggest need(s) will be SF/C, not PG. We don't need a star PG and Marshall/Farmar rotation can take you far if the other pieces are good. I would not complain about drafting Exum, Smart etc., but there are other pressing needs. And in this league, you need a good SF+PF to truly compete, and a solid defensive center who is not a liability on the offensive end is a plus. If we could draft a quality SF or C and pair them with Love, then our PGs will do just fine.

If we look at some of the top teams in the NBA, we can see the pattern -

OKC: Durant, Ibaka (since Westbrook is hurt)
MIA: Bron, Bosh
IND: George, West/Hibbert

(Houston's main guy is Harden (a SG), Portland's LMA (a PF), Clippers' Griffin (a PF) etc. Of course that having a star center and point guard helps, but it's probably not a must. The only top team where the main guy is a 1 is the Spurs, but Parker/Duncan/Ginobili trio is still closer in production then the main guys on most other teams. Besides, they have Pop.)

That's probably not the only way to success, but it's a good one. Of course, one could do it with a star SG instead of SF (while having a 2nd tier two-way guy at the 3, such as Granger/Deng), but Kobe, for all his greatness, is not what he used to be returning from the injury. Besides, while he's an integral piece to the team next season, we're not building around him anymore and he knows it. So, we get the best 4 in the league, draft 3/5, then sign a FA 5/3, depending on who we draft. And suddenly, if the chemistry is good, you have a contender with some explosive young guys off the bench. And none of that, except Love, costs much money; Marshall being the prime example, which leads me back to the topic. Lock this guy now.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:02 am

therealdeal wrote:I just think the FO is aware that Exum is one of their targets and between Farmar and Marshall, Farmar loves to be here. I think they'd want to "reward" that so to speak.

If they end up higher in the draft and get Wiggins, Parker, or Embiid then Marshall staying makes way more sense. If they end up 4-6 and get Exum, then Marshall is expendable.

To the first sentence, yeah, but we surely need more than 2 quality PGs and Marshall should be here regardless. Or we wind up again with Kobe or X playing point when Farmar gets hurt again. All these high speed, high flying PGs are at far more risk than Kendall.
LTLakerFan

Postby trodgers on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:03 am

I'll keep saying it - Marshall should be written in stone as our PG for next year given our goals and cap situation. He is our best bang for buck player on the roster.
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby karacha on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:05 am

You think he'd take something like 10-11M for three years?

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:30 am

karacha wrote:You think he'd take something like 10-11M for three years?

I do! But I wonder what his agent would think...because it's true that some MDA PGs have parlayed one year into big money.
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:33 am

I don't disagree that we have other needs, but it all depends on where we land in the draft.

We can't control our pick number. If we get a pick high enough then I think we talk about a wing that we can build around. If we can't then we grab Exum and don't look back.

I think Marshall returns next season... but if Nash is round which seems likely, Farmar sacrificed to be here, we draft Exum... we get crowded quickly.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:58 pm

If we draft Exum & he passes the initial test & looks like he is indeed going to be a good PG, I think we take advantage of Exum & Marshall's size & go with a 2 PG lineup similar to Phoenix. I think that's easy to do with a PG like Marshall because he isn't very ball dominant, he just finds guys in the right spots when he does have the ball. Not sure if that's something they'd want to do long term because it might hurt Exum's development, but it would be a good strategy to build Kendall's trade value next season if Exum looks like our PG of the future.. We can't just let Marshall go for nothing & watch him become an allstar on another team.
LakersN4

Postby last stand on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:00 pm

Exum will be a SG in the NBA so the lakers could easily shift Kobe to the wing anyways. With Our lack of talent it would be incredibly unwise to dump our current most talented player because of space issues. Besides Nash is a 9 million dollar expiring next season

Easily tradable.
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby karacha on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:06 pm

Exum is at least as tall as Kobe, and IMO, he's a combo guard. I think it would be more typical for such a player to play the 2 most of the time in the NBA. I think he and Marshall could definitely co-exist.

He will probably gain some weight eventually, just like Kobe. 10-15 lbs. He's muscular, but skinny, like Kobe was when he was drafted.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:14 pm

therealdeal wrote:I don't disagree that we have other needs, but it all depends on where we land in the draft.

We can't control our pick number. If we get a pick high enough then I think we talk about a wing that we can build around. If we can't then we grab Exum and don't look back.

I think Marshall returns next season... but if Nash is round which seems likely, Farmar sacrificed to be here, we draft Exum... we get crowded quickly.

Nailed it. Depends who and what we draft. If Exum is the best player available, we have to grab him. Marshall might be the odd man out.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby last stand on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:28 pm

karacha wrote:Exum is at least as tall as Kobe, and IMO, he's a combo guard. I think it would be more typical for such a player to play the 2 most of the time in the NBA. I think he and Marshall could definitely co-exist.

He will probably gain some weight eventually, just like Kobe. 10-15 lbs. He's muscular, but skinny, like Kobe was when he was drafted.

Exactly ball dominant SGs are nothing new. Jordan, hardaway, mcgrady, Kobe, wade, harden, west, etc

Put him at the 2, let Marshall run the point when he's shown he can as easily play off the ball as on it and be just as effective

I think Marshall is the long term answer at the position. Noone in this draft is going to prevent Marshall from being our PG except smart but I highly doubt he'll be te pick the way out season is going

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:00 pm

You guys make some good points, with his size he will probably be a wing in the league.. He definitely has the passing ability to be a PG, but a ball dominant wing is probably what he ends up.
LakersN4

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:23 pm

If Nash is dead set on playing next year Lakers have to waive him and stretch the salary and let him go get hurt again somewhere else. I doubt after this season has shown him how hopeless it now is to get over the chronic nerve problems that he comes back next year. He's just trying to finish this season on 2 feet.
LTLakerFan

Postby last stand on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:48 pm

I'd rather not stretch him. Just trade his 9 million expiring to someone

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:55 pm

I would also take the risk and lock up Marshall for a few years. I mean if he was overwhleming the league with his athletcism, you can argue that the league can adjust and take away his tendencies. But his athletcism for an NBA pg is below average. He's been getting it done with skills, feel for the game, vision, anticipation, etc. I've been amazed at times at how consistently he is able to set up his teammates with such easy shots in perfect rhythm and stride. And this is at the highest level.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Chillbongo on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:04 pm

Just because Exum wants to be a Laker does not mean that the Lakers want him to be a Laker.

There is absolutely NO REASON to let Marshall walk. NO REASON. The Lakers are not banking on Nash. They know better.
Chillbongo

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:00 pm

I am a firm believer that Marshal should be retained by the Lakers. Our PG order of preference should be Farmar, Marshall then Blake. I actually think Marshall should be ahead of Farmar in the pecking order because Jordy seems to have an injury problem too. I would love to see Blake back but will understand if they let him go.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Its ASW and we got Wes and Marshall threads at the top of Laker discussion.

No disrespect to those that want to discuss this manner....but wow, how the mighty have fallen.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion