Kendall Marshall Thread: The Marshall is Out! (waived)

Re: Kendall Marshall Discussion: There's a new Marshall in town!

Postby karacha on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:18 pm

It happens. You can't be mighty every single year. There are ups and downs, and the Lakers fans are lucky to have a team that's good to great most of the time.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:20 pm

"Its ASW and we got Wes and Marshall threads at the top of Laker discussion.
No disrespect to those that want to discuss this manner....but wow, how the mighty have fallen."

Yep. :man6: Wes definitely, to your point, but I think we have a gem for cheap in Marshall who is only 22 years old. Whose passing skills are elite and has a great feel for the game and good size. Kind of like a late or maybe not terribly late 1st round pick that we never had last year that suddenly, POOF, materialized.
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LTLakerFan

Postby Savory Griddles on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:22 pm

last stand wrote:I'd rather not stretch him. Just trade his 9 million expiring to someone

We aren't going to stretch him I doubt. We'd only do that if we had an actual shot at Lebron. If not, Nash fits under the cap with a "second-tier star" like Stephenson, Bledsoe, Monroe, etc.
Savory Griddles

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:29 pm

What good does that do, he can't stay healthy. No way in hell. He has to be gone.
LTLakerFan

Postby Savory Griddles on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:34 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:What good does that do, he can't stay healthy. No way in hell. He has to be gone.

It's not that simple. If HE decides to medically retire, then he's off our books. If not, us stretching him is detrimental because for the next 3 seasons he'd count against the cap for 3 million as opposed to 9 next season. I'm afraid Nash is either going to medically retire, or we're going to watch him limp through yet ANOTHER season.
Savory Griddles

Postby Helljumper on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:36 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:What good does that do, he can't stay healthy. No way in hell. He has to be gone.

It frees up more cap space the following year. If we stretch him just for the sake of getting rid of him, that means we'd have an extra $3 million-ish eating into our salary cap for 2015 which might end up costing us Kevin Love depending on how the other chips fall into place.
Helljumper

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:40 pm

ahhh.... I see.
LTLakerFan

Postby Savory Griddles on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Besides, if we really are sold on Marshall, Nash could be a great mentor for him for a season. But Nash is here next season unless LBJ specifically tells us he wants to come here and we need to stretch provision him for that, but we all know that ain't happening.

But this is the Marshall thread. We should be excited we've found this little gem. :jam2:
Savory Griddles

Postby karacha on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:55 pm

Well, although our team looked bad tonight (as expected), Marshall still got 20/16 (!) and 3 steals, shooting 54%, 67% for 3.

Decent numbers, right?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:11 pm

Turrible numbers :man10:
Joke aside, decent is an understatement.
charvin

Postby earvinfr on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:53 pm

karacha wrote:Well, although our team looked bad tonight (as expected), Marshall still got 20/16 (!) and 3 steals, shooting 54%, 67% for 3.

Decent numbers, right?

You might be a big Marshall fan, since you're always the first to post when he has a big game. Nothing wrong about it I'm also a big Marshall fan.
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby last stand on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:01 am

karacha wrote:Well, although our team looked bad tonight (as expected), Marshall still got 20/16 (!) and 3 steals, shooting 54%, 67% for 3.

Decent numbers, right?

He's pretty incredible
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Barnstable on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:28 am

And I don't think anyone outside of Lakers fans are recognizing the season he's putting together.

People are just writing us off because the team sucks (Which it does right now), but Marshall individually is going to surprise a lot of people next year if we can put a healthy team around him.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:51 am

Should have been signed by now :bang:
kenzo

Postby ZenMaster4President on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:35 am

Hmm.

I really wonder how much of this is the stat inflation of SSOL. Just on the stats level...
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby Helljumper on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:08 am

ZenMaster4President wrote:Hmm.

I really wonder how much of this is the stat inflation of SSOL. Just on the stats level...

It's got to be. Marshall is good and worth keeping to develop, but he's just not as good as his stats indicate. It's a combination of us being a bad team and D'antoni.

For comparison, Ramon Sessions averaged 15 points and 8 assists as a starter in his last year in Milwaukee. Those are top 10 PG type of numbers but we all know Sessions is just your run of the mill back-up PG. Opportunity, situation, and a relatively small sample size can inflate stats.

Again, not saying Marshall is bad, but he's putting up better numbers than most of the elite PG's and he's just nowhere near that level yet. If he's still putting up 12 points and 12 assists on 45% shooting from the outside next year when we have a different coach, a more competitive team, and better players to run the offense through, then I'll change my tune.
Helljumper

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:24 am

IT'S HIS PASSING ABILITY, HEAD UP GAME, AND FEEL FOR THE GAME :jam2:
LTLakerFan

Postby revgen on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:53 am

Helljumper wrote:
ZenMaster4President wrote:Hmm.

It's got to be. Marshall is good and worth keeping to develop, but he's just not as good as his stats indicate. It's a combination of us being a bad team and D'antoni.

For comparison, Ramon Sessions averaged 15 points and 8 assists as a starter in his last year in Milwaukee. Those are top 10 PG type of numbers but we all know Sessions is just your run of the mill back-up PG. Opportunity, situation, and a relatively small sample size can inflate stats.

Again, not saying Marshall is bad, but he's putting up better numbers than most of the elite PG's and he's just nowhere near that level yet. If he's still putting up 12 points and 12 assists on 45% shooting from the outside next year when we have a different coach, a more competitive team, and better players to run the offense through, then I'll change my tune.

I would agree with you if Marshall didn't put up gaudy numbers in college. Something Sessions did not do.

Marshall averaged 9.7 apg and 2.8 TO's his sophomore year at UNC. Think about that. These assist numbers were done during 40 minute games.

Not even CP3, Rondo, Nash or D-Will came close to putting up these numbers in college.

So you can't just chalk up his playmaking ability to playing under D'Antoni.

Does playing under D'Antoni help? Certainly, especially when you're not surrounded by elite offensive talent. D'Antoni doesn't get on players if they miss shots, so role players tend to shoot with more confidence under him than a coach who doesn't like bad shots.

Put elite offensive and defensive talent around him and he'll be a cog on a winning team.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:07 am

I went to the game last night (cheap seats were only 30 bucks) and Marshall was the only player I really watched. Here were my takeaways:
- When he's the PG he goes into a "mode" and controls the ball. Farmar was getting frustrated playing with him and struggled to find a rhythm while they were on the floor together. He was visibly frustrated at times.
- He's got a big, solid body and is surprisingly strong.
- His vision is fantastic.
- He can be turnover prone against quicker defenders because he lacks speed.
- He's a very bad one-on-one defender, but a slightly above average help defender/team defender.
- He's developing a better feel for where and when to shoot mid-range shots.

He's got a little bit of Nash to his game, but he needs to work on his right hand dribble/pass. Almost everything he does comes back to his left. If he were to diversify that just a little bit more, he'd be a really dangerous weapon. I'd say he has the ability to start on a Championship team as long as one of the wing players with him is a dynamic player. Playing with Kobe towards the end of the season will really determine whether or not he should be kept around this summer. If he can't mesh with Kobe, then he probably can't mesh with a Championship roster.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:16 am

Re: Inflated assist numbers playing in a particular system.
I don't think some people think through what they're saying.

If a team brings in personnel to maximize someone's skills, is that bad? See LBJ being surrounded by floor spacers.
If a team changes their strategy to maximize a player's skills, is that bad? See San Antonio - pick and roll.

So WHAT if a system maximizes a player's skill? Complaining about it is as stupid as saying, "You matched my skills with a system to create success...you bastard."

That said, if KM is JUST a product of a system, he's arguably the greatest product of any system ever created.

In the NBA:
141 players have averaged 9+ APG since 85/86.
No one did it at an age younger than Marshall.

10 APG: we're down to 75.
11 APG: we're down to 40.
12 APG: we're at 17 players - and no one since John Stockton in 94/95.

Why care about that number? Marshall is averaging 12.1 as a starter.
NO ONE comes close to Marshall's assists per 36 minutes (10.7) on the roster -
not Blake (8.3), not Nash (7.5), not Farmar (8.2). He destroys them in that measure. It's like the difference between Durant's scoring and Steph Curry's.
BTW, Nash's best IN HIS CAREER was 12.3.

In other words, you have to believe one of the following:
1. Marshall is good.
Or
2. The system is uniquely situated to maximize Kendall Marshall's skills to a level greater than almost any NBA PG in the past 30 years.

Either way...what does is matter?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby karacha on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:20 am

I do agree with the observation real made in his post, but I would just like to add that Marshall and Farmar should never be on the floor at the same time.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:35 am

My biggest gripe (and that could be due to lesser talent being around him)....is that we lose games in as magnificent a fashion as his numbers are.

Those numbers led to a -17 while he was on the floor last night. There are games like this that lead to routes. Then there are games where we appear to be in contention, but as the floor leader, he just doesn't have it to seal the deal (ie as in the recent Thunder game).

By that very definition, gaudy numbers in a loss is inflation/padding. As you said trodgers, those numbers he puts up means nothing, so why should his stats matter?

He just doesn't have "it" yet....maybe one day he will, but till then, he's not a starting guard on a championship team.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:43 am

Remember:
-17 in 42.7 minutes with Marshall ON

by comparison 1:
-9 in 5.3 minutes with Marshall OFF

by comparison 2:
-21 in 19.7 minutes with Farmar ON
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:45 am

I would in no way blame him for the loss last night. I'd blame the lack of personnel. Marshall neither won us or lost us that game.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:46 am

karacha wrote:I do agree with the observation real made in his post, but I would just like to add that Marshall and Farmar should never be on the floor at the same time.

Absolutely agree. The two PG idea is just horrendous. Why D' Antoni and Brown were both so enamored with it I'll never know. I really want a new coach who will NOT do this.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion