Kendall Marshall Thread: The Marshall is Out! (waived)

Re: Kendall Marshall Discussion: There's a new Marshall in town!

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:48 am

Lakerjones wrote:
karacha wrote:I do agree with the observation real made in his post, but I would just like to add that Marshall and Farmar should never be on the floor at the same time.

Absolutely agree. The two PG idea is just horrendous. Why D' Antoni and Brown were both so enamored with it I'll never know. I really want a new coach who will NOT do this.

Did we have a choice last night though?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:04 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:My biggest gripe (and that could be due to lesser talent being around him)....is that we lose games in as magnificent a fashion as his numbers are.

Those numbers led to a -17 while he was on the floor last night. There are games like this that lead to routes. Then there are games where we appear to be in contention, but as the floor leader, he just doesn't have it to seal the deal (ie as in the recent Thunder game).

By that very definition, gaudy numbers in a loss is inflation/padding. As you said trodgers, those numbers he puts up means nothing, so why should his stats matter?

He just doesn't have "it" yet....maybe one day he will, but till then, he's not a starting guard on a championship team.

That's the analysis I'd give to a player I expect to be a star or carry their team. Marshall is not that guy at this point in his career, so I don't feel its fair to put the weight of carrying a terrible team on him. Marshall is a very good cog in a machine. He doesn't function unless the other cogs are doing what they are supposed to be doing (ie. Making shots). He on the other hand does what he's supposed to do. He puts the ball in peoples hands where they get high percentage shots. He can't do more than give them as good a chance as possible to make their shots, but we have players who have no business taking as many shots as they do because they just aren't good enough.

And regarding defense. He isn't the reason why we suck defensively. Coach, collective defensive concept, no defensive stoppers on the team, mediocre at best defenders.... Take your pick. All are true, and none of those are a product of Marshal playing big minutes even though he's not a great defender.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:00 pm

@mcten: Mitch Kupchak said that a major factor in the Steve Blake trade was freeing up playing time to evaluate Jordan Farmar/Kendall Marshall

That's good spin, and it's also true, I hope we give Marshall tons of time to continue to show if he's a keeper.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Who makes the Hall of Fame first - Jordan Hill or Kendall Marshall?

Gosh, Weezy. Wipe the slobber off your chin.

blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:22 pm

Weezy wrote:
@mcten: Mitch Kupchak said that a major factor in the Steve Blake trade was freeing up playing time to evaluate Jordan Farmar/Kendall Marshall

That's good spin, and it's also true, I hope we give Marshall tons of time to continue to show if he's a keeper.

I don't think it has to be spin at all. We got younger, isn't that what we wanted?

I don't get all of this opposition to trading Blake... We hated him just as often as we loved him :man10: I appreciate the guy's work and that he changed the tone of games, but he was OLD and INJURY PRONE.

Now we've got two young assets again, two athletes, two more auditions for wing players to come back and give us a cheap year maybe.

Why is everyone so upset?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:33 pm

real, what I meant was it was a good way to spin ONLY trading Blake, and whiffing on Hill, Kaman, and possibly Pau. He says it was to get Farmar and Marshall time, and that we weren't trying as hard as fans think to get out of tax penalties, and I don't buy that. I think we wanted to do multiple "dumps" and we weren't able to, so they spin dumping Blake the only way they can that makes sense.

As for the second part of your post I'm not sure if you're referring to me or not, but I wasn't being sarcastic or anything. I'm a Marshall fan, I want him getting time, I want him starting, that's why I said what Mitch said was also true. I said it the minute I heard it I was glad Blake was traded (though at first I didn't get why it was for 2 crappy players and not a 2nd rounder, but I'm good with it now we need bodies) that it was time, he needed to go as he should not be in our future plans, and he was one of our only tradable assets. I'm not upset at all, I'm glad he gets to go to a playoff team where he can be put to good use, and I'm glad we will keep losing for sure now.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:43 pm

KB5
allow me to introduce y'all to Fat Joe of the terror squad.

https://vine.co/v/MmF6Zj0Klw5

:man10: :man10:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby trodgers on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:10 pm

I asked him a question on Twitter, but it was just after he'd stopped taking them...will try to get him to answer. Who's his fave backcourt partner on Lakers.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby TIME on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:37 pm

trodgers wrote:I asked him a question on Twitter, but it was just after he'd stopped taking them...will try to get him to answer. Who's his fave backcourt partner on Lakers.

If he's smart he'll say Kobe. :man12:
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:25 pm

Kobe would know he's lying, because they don't play together at all. :man10:

Besides, Kobe would probably do this to him:

"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:06 am

Couldn't watch the last 2 games but his stats seems to be poor. Good thing he's playing for peanuts, otherwise i would have to ask someone for a garbage sign :man12:
kenzo

Postby trodgers on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:18 am

You need to watch what's going on.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Barnstable on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:06 am

trodgers wrote:You need to watch what's going on.

I haven'r seen the last few games either. What is going on?
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:11 am

therealdeal wrote:I don't get all of this opposition to trading Blake... We hated him just as often as we loved him :man10: I appreciate the guy's work and that he changed the tone of games, but he was OLD and INJURY PRONE.

Now we've got two young assets again, two athletes, two more auditions for wing players to come back and give us a cheap year maybe.

Why is everyone so upset?

Wait I don't think I ever hated Blake. Sure the move made us better because it saved the Buss's some money. In terms of basketball it was a lateral move, but one with potential to be better because we picked up a young player who might possibly re-sign with us. If they don't it was strictly a financial move and I can't say it benefited or hurt the team. But by no means was I excited to let Blake go. It would have been much better to let Nash go.

But no one would have taken Nash's contract so naturally Blake was the one to go. It was a financial move. If you hated Blake because of his salary that's one thing. But this trade was by no means reflective of his performance on the court. And that's matter of fact.

To be honest, Farmar is much younger and hasn't stayed healthy. Blake had the Chicken Pox (virus), stepped on a spike strip (WTF), and had a freak funny bone injury. I wouldn't call that injury prone but he was definitely getting old.
Last edited by Chillbongo on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chillbongo

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:14 am

Barnstable wrote:

I think it is clear that if Marshall isn't playing heavy minutes he looks like the player the rest of the league thought he was before he became a Laker.
Chillbongo

Postby Barnstable on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:19 am

Chillbongo wrote:
Barnstable wrote:

I think it is clear that if Marshall isn't playing heavy minutes he looks like the player the rest of the league thought he was before he became a Laker.

No.... it's not about playing fewer minutes. He's played games since he got here where he wasn't playing heavy minutes and still posted fantastic numbers.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:35 am

Chillbongo wrote:Wait I don't think I ever hated Blake. Sure the move made us better because it saved the Buss's some money. In terms of basketball it was a lateral move, but one with potential to be better because we picked up a young player who might possibly re-sign with us. If they don't it was strictly a financial move and I can't say it benefited or hurt the team. But by no means was I excited to let Blake go. It would have been much better to let Nash go.

But no one would have taken Nash's contract so naturally Blake was the one to go. It was a financial move. If you hated Blake because of his salary that's one thing. But this trade was by no means reflective of his performance on the court. And that's matter of fact.

To be honest, Farmar is much younger and hasn't stayed healthy. Blake had the Chicken Pox (virus), stepped on a spike strip (WTF), and had a freak funny bone injury. I wouldn't call that injury prone but he was definitely getting old.

We, all of us, hated on him copiously, including myself and I really liked Blake. For a while I defended him around here when few wanted to hear it. He was a great person, a great competitor, and a great teammate.

BUT... He was also incredibly injury prone, inconsistent with his shooting, inconsistent with just TAKING shots, defensively a liability at times, and often played out of position (that's not his fault, but it was frustrating).

He was the person that needed to go and that's really all there was to it. We couldn't move Nash. We want to keep the younger guys like Marshall and Farmar. My only point really is that it was a good trade for the Lakers (and the Warriors). They moved a couple pieces they weren't going to use and they got a wily vet. We got a couple more auditions and all we gave up was an injury prone older player.

It was a good trade, but for a couple days after the trade happened most of the posts around here were really negative. It didn't make much sense to me.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:37 am

Barnstable wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:
Barnstable wrote:

No.... it's not about playing fewer minutes. He's played games since he got here where he wasn't playing heavy minutes and still posted fantastic numbers.

In this case I think it's not just the minutes, but the personnel. He's playing less and he's playing with guys that don't know the system, specifically Bazemore. Bazemore is making it hard for Marshall to be effective and Marshall is very much out of rhythm because of it. Remember when Nash came back and it was hard for Marshall to find his spots? That's what's happening here.

And it's absolutely killing me for the first round of my fantasy league... :bang:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:40 am

The difference in style of play pre vs. post trade is pretty evident. Before everyone was playing as a team and losing because we simply aren't as good as 90% of the league. Now we are getting beat because some are out there chucking and we aren't as good as 90% of the league.

I'd rather go back to the old way where at least everyone was fighting and playing as a team.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:59 am

Yeah personnel plays a part but he's still getting a decent number of assists and turning the ball over about as many times as usual.

But I also think his assists and scoring opportunities go up with increased minutes.But yes we are nothing close to resembling any sort of team.

My God, if there was a piss poor season. If the Lakers were going to be this s****y in my lifetime, at least it was the season prior to a particularly stacked draft class. Glass half full.
Chillbongo

Postby trodgers on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:59 am

It really is non PGs handling the ball all the time for some weird reason. When Bazemore and Brooks are in the game, they handle it all the time. I don't just mean that they touch the ball. That's fine. I don't even mind that they shoot, but they consume SO MANY possessions when they're in. Bazemore goes it alone a lot. KM's really good at pass, receive the ball back, and immediately find someone. Bazemore runs down, drives, and guns. Or he pulls up and guns. Or he passes, gets it back, and then goes.

Marshall doesn't need to have the ball for 20 seconds of every shot clock, but he should have the ball in his hands to initiate every possession. He's so good at the long pass and the transition pass that the only other person who's healthy and has any business initiating the offense regularly is Farmar.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Barnstable wrote:

Part of it is the new guys in particular Bazemore is handling the ball a lot more and having some good success I might add.

Another reason I think is that he's just in a shooting slump. Particularly against the Grizzlies he had a ton of open (deep) 3 point shots that he usually hits but it misses badly. If I remember the stats right he has been held scoreless the last 2 games.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby kenzo on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:47 pm

Thanks for the update guys :beer:
kenzo

Postby khmrP on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Players like Marshall dont blow up like they do and maintain that type of game, if he was really that good he wouldn't have been in the dleague after just 2 years in the league. Hopefully he'll still be some what of a good backup or 3rd string PG if we dont have Antoni anymore.
khmrP

Postby karacha on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:33 pm

^

But it's not really about that at all. He is not in the position to distribute anymore.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion