Kendall Marshall Thread: The Marshall is Out! (waived)

Re: Kendall Marshall Discussion: There's a new Marshall in town!

Postby khmrP on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:21 pm

^^^ok but his scoring and shooting is also declining
khmrP

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:24 pm

Bazemore is consuming a lot of possessions; no doubt about that...however, what is Marshall going to do when Kobe gets back; and assuming Kobe is healthy enough to facilitate, what is Marshall going to do then? I like Marshall, but I don't think he and Kobe's skill-sets are going to mesh with one another; he doesn't play off the ball effectively, and even though his shot three-point shot is going in right now, will that hold up or will it fall back to the norm of his career percentages?

The reason Steve Nash could effectively play off the ball was his shooting ability; he could shoot from anywhere on the floor with precise accuracy...also, his ability to set picks (remember the Kobe/Nash picks last year that were effective) so he's not an issue on the offensive end if you take the ball out of his hands. If Marshall is quarterbacking a team, it might be best to play him with a 2nd unit; we need somebody a lot more dynamic at the 1 position who can play more off ball effectively, a lot more athletic, and can effectively create their own shot...WTS...I like Marshall and his game, but I think it's best suited if he's a backup. At the price he's set to make next year, he's still a bargain.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:31 pm

khmrP wrote:^^^ok but his scoring and shooting is also declining

I don't think it was ever realistic for Marshall to keep shooting such a high percentage like that; as I just said, he could be reverting back to his normal percentages or slightly better, IMO. As far as scoring, he doesn't look for his shot...he's a pass-first PG that has a very limited offensive game. He has no midrange, no pull-up stop on a dime jump-shot, can't seemingly pull up off the dribble and shoot with any accuracy...he's only 22 and those things can be correct...but he is limited and coming back down to earth. Could the new acqusitions have something to do with it? Sure. However, Marshall has always had these weaknesses...let teams start scouting you and develop a game-plan on how to stop you and lets see if you can adapt to your game or not.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:18 pm

The team does not play to Marshall's strength anymore. He is a creator plain and simple. He very much has a game similar to Nash without Nash's outside shot. Marshall's shots come from ball movement and he took them as the game required. Now, he takes shots off the dribble (non layup) which isn't his game. I believe he is as good as advertised but Mike has taken his assets and made them null. I did think he would have some issue after teams started playing him for the bounce pass on the give and go but this change has little to do with that, IMO, and everything to do with what Mike has done to him. You cannot teach his court vision and he has proven when given the chance he makes plays. I can't see how that can be argued against.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:36 pm

^

...which is sort of strange, because MDA likes PGs who can distribute the ball efficiently, creating offense for everyone equally.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Honestly, people claiming he's coming back to earth and he was playing above his head after two bad games is as bad as the people claiming a player that has two good games in a row is the next Kobe. A few games good or bad isn't enough to discount the body of work.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:42 pm

Why is the TEAM suddenly disgusted and complaining? It's clear that something's going on...I'd get crazy and bet it's the newcomers playing a ton of minutes and "jacking off" shots all day long. Just a crazy thought.

Does Marshall have to learn to work with Kobe? Of course. KM doesn't even touch the ball for stretches - and he needs to. Given that there's no sensible explanation for this fact, it must be MDA's plan: audition the young guards. Can't say it's a good idea.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby karacha on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:17 pm

Basically, if this type of point guard does not handle the ball in order to create shots for others, then he becomes a spectator, and can't do much else. His shots normally come from this "regular" flow of offense. You disrupt that, and it's a disaster for Marshall.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:59 pm

karacha wrote:^

...which is sort of strange, because MDA likes PGs who can distribute the ball efficiently, creating offense for everyone equally.

baffles the hell out of me too but looking at the last few games it is clear we aren't running any sort of offense. I have been a supporter of Mike's "real" offense because I believe the ball and player movement brings easy buckets. What Mike is doing now with the personnel we have now is confusing as hell.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:43 pm

I agree. I can't figure out what we're doing right now. If anything. Maybe they are just telling them to play pickup ball or something. Maybe they just want to see the two newcomers playing heavy minutes and handling the ball for a certain number of games. 5? 10? I don't know, it's hard to say. But what we're seeing now isn't really MDA offense, or any other offense I'm familiar with.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:01 pm

It's not just having an impact on the already established guards, Hill's played 16 minutes in the last two games combined, after playing over 20 minutes per in the last 7.

MDA has screwed with the whole rotation and it shows. I'm sure Kendall Marshall wants to run pick and roll with Wesley Johnson.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:26 pm

I had the thought the other day that Mike is trying to get fired. Playing Jodi Meeks on PP, Wes J on Zack/Marc, Not playing Hill/Kaman against big teams and now all the discord in the locker room.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:37 pm

But why? He has offers from some other team? :man1:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Maybe he knows he is a goner next season regardless.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:16 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I had the thought the other day that Mike is trying to get fired. Playing Jodi Meeks on PP, Wes J on Zack/Marc, Not playing Hill/Kaman against big teams and now all the discord in the locker room.

Cool, let's show him the door! :jam2: The sooner bozo is gone the sooner I can stop worrying about him ruining another year of Laker basketball. I'd love it if he got fired, sooner the better.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:07 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I had the thought the other day that Mike is trying to get fired. Playing Jodi Meeks on PP, Wes J on Zack/Marc, Not playing Hill/Kaman against big teams and now all the discord in the locker room.

Should do the "right" thing and resign from your contract like you did in NY.
charvin

Postby Kou on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:54 pm

Either that or he has gone into tank mode as well.
NBA 2k9 team:

Fisher/Rose/Watson
Bryant/Wells
Lee/Ariza/Walton
Gasol/Yi
Bynum/Zo
Kou

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:58 pm

Kou wrote:

Either that or he has gone into tank mode as well.

I don't think anyone has truthfully gone into tank mode not the FO at least. However, I can believe that Mike knows he is done at the end of the year so he is just going to do what he wants. Even if the FO said, "hey Mike this season is a loss so we don't care if we don't win" I can't imagine a coach, who wants to coach again, would blow games like we are currently. Really if the Lakers get rid of him what does the play of the team say about Mike for future teams? I can't see an owner looking at his choices and going "yes lets get him in here.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:09 pm

I don't think the FO needed to flat out say "we're tanking" you just tell D'antoni we want to spend the rest of the season really installing his system & not go away from it.. Knowing we don't have the personnel to win playing small ball.
LakersN4

Postby KB24 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:58 pm

Marshall can't seem to score a point anymore.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:54 am

Yeah. He does get some assists, but it seems he can't hit anything anymore. He went from 10/10 to around 6/10 in the last 10 games.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:41 am

If a PG can't score and doesn't demand defense, then he usually can't break down defenses which is a very big issue.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Barnstable on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:18 am

I can't comment. I only saw part of last nights game, and Marshall wasn't in at all. I need to see whats happening to evaluate. But it is curious it started when the trade happened.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:52 am

But we've seen Marshall break down defenses repeatedly.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:56 am

He's lost some confidence in his shot. Last night, the B's didn't dominate the ball as much and it showed in his assists, but not in his shot.

He needs to get through it and make some layups/easy shots and his shot will come back.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion