Kendall Marshall Thread: The Marshall is Out! (waived)

Re: Kendall Marshall Discussion: There's a new Marshall in town!

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:20 am

Barnstable wrote:I can't comment. I only saw part of last nights game, and Marshall wasn't in at all. I need to see whats happening to evaluate. But it is curious it started when the trade happened.

Since I am a big fan of watching what guys do with and without the ball I can say that Marshall has not been in a comfortable place on the floor. When he was effective he was dominating the control of the game for us. Right now he seems to only be involved (where he is in control) only a few times a game. His shot looks like its an after thought rather than a choice based on what the offense has given. I think I counted 1 shot that was taken like he took when he first got here all the rest seemed random and out of character. He has to adapt and get back to being aggressive.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby KB24 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:37 am

The honeymoon seems to be over...Marshall doesn't really do much anymore.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby trodgers on Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:14 am

He'll need to make adjustments, for sure if he wants to be a longterm starter. But he's the youngest guy on the team (might surprise you to read that). Shooting second best 3pt% on the team, still among league leaders in assists. And he's doing it for the minimum.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby KB24 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:39 am

He is certainly not overpaid or someone we need to offload. It just doesn't seem to be the long-term PG solution for this team.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby SK8 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:26 pm

Forget about shooting for a second, Marshall can't defend absolutely anything, we all know that Sessions can get to the rim easily, but he was getting there at will, and Marshall was so bad i don't even know how to describe it, he is not even trying to break through screen, he is just giving up hoping that help defense will cover up his bad D.
Absolutely horrible, i wrote in gameday thread last night that Steve Nash is trying harder on D.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Armani on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:33 am

He's been shooting at less than 30 FG% the last ~20 games. Basically, he can't shoot, he can't defend... all he can do is pass. He's a net negative on court. Farmar is easily better than Marshall. I don't know if Marshall's a rotation player at all. He's meant to be a 3rd stringer, IMO.
Armani

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:55 pm

If it wasn't for his 900K option for the team next year I wouldn't want him at all. He has been downright terrible with some of his passing lately which was thought to be his strongest asset.

Don't even get me started on his defense....
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby kenzo on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:09 pm

Almost fooled me :man12: I was pretty high on this kid few weeks ago, now -> :hurl:
kenzo

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:19 pm

I wonder on the days they have available to practice or off days, on his own time before and after, if he's a guy that will shoot thousands of shots and work his bleep off trying to get better. Say on defense too, whatever he can do. And this summer. The kid has a golden opportunity to be a rotation player going forward if he keeps improving. Wonder if he has that kind of makeup and desire? Meeks surely did this summer. Mark Jackson should be his role model and hero.
LTLakerFan

Postby lotus on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:00 pm

Finally, the the spiked kool-aid has weakened. Some of you had me worried a couple months ago. Now, no more stat comparisons to Magic and Stockton please.
lotus

Postby trodgers on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:23 pm

lotus wrote:Finally, the the spiked kool-aid has weakened. Some of you had me worried a couple months ago. Now, no more stat comparisons to Magic and Stockton please.

That's the first real thing I've heard all day.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Barnstable on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:22 pm

Yeah, so glad I didn't drink the koolaid. Marshal sucks [/sarcasm]

13pts, 11ast, 3 steals, 1blk, 6-9 fg, with only 2 turn overs tonight. He's had a bad slump, but whatever the reason, the kid can ball, and he will only get better.

As T stated... he's the youngest player on the team. Look at the potential Vs. investment
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:25 pm

I still like Marshall as a 3rd PG to hang onto, mostly because, well, 900K. Aside from that though I still like his court vision, ability to take care of the ball pretty well, that his game doesn't lead to much injury, and that he really isn't bad at finishing at the hoop when he does decide to drive and take layups. He just needs to be more confident and aggressive I think, like he was when he first came here. Yeah, his defense isn't good, and he can't shoot, but I still think he's as good as a 3rd PG gets, or he could be a solid backup if he keeps working on his game, he's still really young.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:30 pm

I still believe his defense is better than some here say. I don't know what PG people are comparing his defense against, but compared to the rest of the league, he's about average for a PG IMO.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:37 am

Since Kobe came into the league, 10 Lakers have dished at least 400 assists. Kobe - five times, Odom once, Payton once, Nick the Quick twice - and Kendall Marshall, that slacker. He needs 48 to post more than anyone other than Kobe and Van Exel.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby shaq_hater on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:01 pm

Marshall is a good PG. I like his court vision and play-making abilities but his defense and quickness is average.
MY GUY IS AWESOME BECAUSE HE HAS 5 RINGS.
shaq_hater

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 am

well is court vision as been pure sh** the last month or so

The only reason why he will be back is because of his 900K contract thats it and IMO I hope he doesn't play nearly as much as he has this year. unless of course he has shown that he has improved in a lot of areas
Battle Tested20

Postby trodgers on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:02 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:well is court vision as been pure sh** the last month or so

The only reason why he will be back is because of his 900K contract thats it and IMO I hope he doesn't play nearly as much as he has this year. unless of course he has shown that he has improved in a lot of areas

March: 110 assists, 39 turnovers, 359 minutes played
That's an ast/to ratio of 2.8:1 (that would be 16th best in the NBA)
That's an ast rate of 1 per 3.3 minutes on court (that would be 2nd best in the NBA)
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby karacha on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:03 am

I'm not sure what people are expecting from Marshall. He's solid for us. He's not always consistent, alright... but he can definitely contribute for only 900k, and it's not likely he's going to get hurt and miss many games. It's a totally safe investment with this guy. A true team player.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:55 am

karacha wrote:I'm not sure what people are expecting from Marshall. He's solid for us. He's not always consistent, alright... but he can definitely contribute for only 900k, and it's not likely he's going to get hurt and miss many games. It's a totally safe investment with this guy. A true team player.

He doesn't move fast enough to get hard.
Savory Griddles

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:13 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
karacha wrote:I'm not sure what people are expecting from Marshall. He's solid for us. He's not always consistent, alright... but he can definitely contribute for only 900k, and it's not likely he's going to get hurt and miss many games. It's a totally safe investment with this guy. A true team player.

He doesn't move fast enough to get hard.

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:06 pm

trodgers wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:well is court vision as been pure sh** the last month or so

That's an ast rate of 1 per 3.3 minutes on court (that would be 2nd best in the NBA)

Well, that's why looks can be deceiving because when I watch our games he hasn't looked the same since he first got here.
Battle Tested20

Postby Barnstable on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:18 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
trodgers wrote:

Well, that's why looks can be deceiving because when I watch our games he hasn't looked the same since he first got here.

Since he first got here? He was putting up ridiculous good numbers for months, not a few weeks. You don't put up the numbers he did as a fluke.

He might have gone through a slump because of cutting back his time on court, or he might just be plain old streaky. I don't know yet, but his numbers aren't deceiving. He was just playing at such a high level, he still has respectable numbers now after this long slump.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:46 pm

I honestly don't mind him coming back at his current contract as our second string pg, but we need a starter.
Savory Griddles

Postby trodgers on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:08 pm

Barnstable wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:
trodgers wrote:

Since he first got here? He was putting up ridiculous good numbers for months, not a few weeks. You don't put up the numbers he did as a fluke.

He might have gone through a slump because of cutting back his time on court, or he might just be plain old streaky. I don't know yet, but his numbers aren't deceiving. He was just playing at such a high level, he still has respectable numbers now after this long slump.

I think BT is saying that the last month KM hasn't looked like he did the first month. He's not shooting as well, that's for damn sure. It's a typical MDA "f with lineups for no good reason" move. It has made several players vocally enraged and clearly messed with others' games. Not a good idea for earning respect of veterans or developing young players.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion