Kendall Marshall Thread: The Marshall is Out! (waived)

Re: Kendall Marshall Discussion: There's a new Marshall in town!

Postby Barnstable on Fri May 02, 2014 3:33 am

Well said MMJ.

The rumor that Pringles artificially inflates PG stats is just that, a rumor. All Pringles does is play PGs a lot of minutes and they get higher output accordingly. They do tend to have at least one good year under him, but people forget, that's usually just one year... what about the other years that PG played under Pringles? Those other years, they looked decidedly average and people forget or don't notice that. Lin was the only PG that had numbers that were out of proportion under Pringles and came back down on another team, even though he got similar minutes. I literally looked at every PG that has played under Pringles going back to when he started in Phoenix. For some reason, Pringles has multiple years in Phoenix and the Knicks (if I remember correctly) where he only had two PGs on the roster. That will tend to inflate minutes played. But just in general, Pringles didn't have much of a clue about how to manage minutes so he played PGs a ton more than I think most coaches would.

Marshal would be getting double digit assists in nearly any PG-centric system. He did run into a bit of that rookie wall, but he has everything needed to be a great player IF he has the right attitude about work ethic concerning improving his game. That's the only variable I feel I haven't heard enough about concerning Marshal.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Wed May 14, 2014 11:45 am

lmao, just imagine that scene :man10: :man10:

https://vine.co/v/Mg2whOrYUDX
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby trodgers on Wed May 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:lmao, just imagine that scene :man10: :man10:

https://vine.co/v/Mg2whOrYUDX

He's a funny follow on Twitter.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed May 14, 2014 6:31 pm

He didn't play the ever so effective "Do you know who I am?" card? :what: :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby Weezy on Wed May 14, 2014 10:13 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:He didn't play the ever so effective "Do you know who I am?" card? :what: :man10:

That might not have worked according to this video, funny dude.

https://vine.co/v/M6gra0VMXKg
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed May 14, 2014 10:15 pm

I find his tweets/vines so ridiculously inappropriate. When you're driving, concentrate on driving jack@. You'll either:

a) Kill someone
b) Cause traffic
c) All the above

Go tweet yourself in the gym, walking to the gym or studying tape at home...otherwise just STFU...ESPECIALLY if you're behind the wheel in LA.

Oh and if he name dropped for shorty, oh girl would be like "Who?"
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed May 14, 2014 10:23 pm

I can't disagree with that at all, it's not safe, but in most of these videos his car does seem to be stopped. Also, maybe he's not holding the phone, maybe it's in one of those dashboard phone holders.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed May 14, 2014 11:20 pm

^^True...just in a bad mood today with the heat wave and of course the traffic...haha. :man2:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu May 15, 2014 9:41 am

Vasashi17 wrote:I find his tweets/vines so ridiculously inappropriate. When you're driving, concentrate on driving jack@. You'll either:

a) Kill someone
b) Cause traffic
c) All the above

Go tweet yourself in the gym, walking to the gym or studying tape at home...otherwise just STFU...ESPECIALLY if you're behind the wheel in LA.

Oh and if he name dropped for shorty, oh girl would be like "Who?"

Agree, agree and agree ….. I was being sarcastic. Though I like him for the money and upside on the squad.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:51 am

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby laakers on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:20 pm

I'm 100% on board if he starts for us next year.
laakers

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:35 pm

laakers wrote:I'm 100% on board if he starts for us next year.

Makes me wonder if he can still thrive in a new offense as starter next year. Or even off the bench.
Kobe8Fan

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:11 pm

Even when he was playing well this last year, I don't know what it is but I just don't think Marshall is going to pan out and IMO I think he is just a by product of what system we were running last year and I don't think he can keep it up. I know he'll undoubtedly be inexpensive to keep around, but I'm just not as optimistic about him getting better as many others are.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:31 pm

Marshall averaged 6 assists in his freshman year at North Carolina, and just under 10 assist the next season. He put up 3 assists as a rookie in very limited time with Phoenix, and then almost 9 for us last season. While I don't think he's a star, dishing assists seems to come as easy as breathing to the guy, I don't think it's simply the system. Shooing, yeah that needs work, and he should develop a floater too. And "inexpensive" doesn't even come close to expressing how cheap he is at only 900K next season. You can't get a PG with his court vision/ability to run an offense and ball protection for that price, usually you end up with a Darius Morris :hurl:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:10 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:Even when he was playing well this last year, I don't know what it is but I just don't think Marshall is going to pan out and IMO I think he is just a by product of what system we were running last year and I don't think he can keep it up. I know he'll undoubtedly be inexpensive to keep around, but I'm just not as optimistic about him getting better as many others are.

Glock, Morris, Trey Johnson, and every other 1 million dollar contract we've had in the recent past can't handle the ball or make the plays the way Marshall can. Hell, even the 2 million dollar contract guards like Shannon Brown can't do what Marshall does. As long as he's a $1 million contract, he's got a home in the NBA. The only way I see him not "panning out" is if Europe offers him more money. Which is certainly possible.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Lakers79 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:33 am

As long as we aren't running the triangle, he'll work out fine. He knows the passing angles, is very quick in finding the open man and puts the ball in the correct location to create distance between the shooter and the defender. These things are not teachable. If we could combine Marshall and Farmar into a single PG he'd be a perennial All-Star.
Lakers79

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:06 am

He's an ideal 3rd guard as is. If he comes into next season with a more reliable jump shot and a floater then he could even make the jump to a high minutes player on a really good team.

As things are, he better be here next season. We have trouble enough as it is finding talent and he's getting paid barely anything.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby sister golden hair on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:20 pm

therealdeal wrote:He's an ideal 3rd guard as is. If he comes into next season with a more reliable jump shot and a floater then he could even make the jump to a high minutes player on a really good team.

As things are, he better be here next season. We have trouble enough as it is finding talent and he's getting paid barely anything.

I've been a big backer of Marshall since the lakers signed him. You just don't find instincts like that every day. He needs that floater badly, and he should be shooting jumpers literally all day long in the off-season until he becomes automatic. This guy can be a PG in this league and, IMO, can even be a sometime starter. But he has to lose a little weight, work on improving his lateral movement (both for the sake of overall quickness but especially on defense) and make himself more of a viable threat with a floater. That will open up even more passing lanes for him once other teams realize that they have to try and challenge his penetration into the lane.

The jumper needs refinement is obvious. he needs to be come a threat out there which, again, will make him more valuable simply because his passing ability can make teams pay for coming out to challenge his jumper. He can pump-fake and create all kinds of havoc by taking it toward the hoop to finish or dump it off to a teammate when the defense rotates.

It's all up to him.

SGH
sister golden hair

Postby Barnstable on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:13 pm

I don't remember seeing this picture before, but it's hilarious how old it makes me feel.

Marshal and Pau back in 2003

Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:27 pm

It was posted months and months back I believe, but it's a great pic and I'm sure many haven't seen it. How crazy is that you know? Just goes to show athletes, be nice to the kids you meet, you never know if you'd regret being rude later ha ha.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:30 pm

Weezy wrote:It was posted months and months back I believe, but it's a great pic and I'm sure many haven't seen it. How crazy is that you know? Just goes to show athletes, be nice to the kids you meet, you never know if you'd regret being rude later ha ha.

David Robinson and Shaq?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Barnstable wrote:I don't remember seeing this picture before, but it's hilarious how old it makes me feel.

Marshal and Pau back in 2003

Wow I feel old.
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:35 pm

You guys do? How the hell do you think Pau felt? :man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:56 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:It was posted months and months back I believe, but it's a great pic and I'm sure many haven't seen it. How crazy is that you know? Just goes to show athletes, be nice to the kids you meet, you never know if you'd regret being rude later ha ha.

David Robinson and Shaq?

You got it. Though I feel like I read recently that story might have been exaggerated or even made up by Shaq later. Still, you never know what kid you meet is gonna be a pro baller one day. I also thought of George Lopez's story about Erik Estrada for some reason.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:09 pm

Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion